• Lothar Brune

0 0%
  • Oberyn Martel

4 5.97%
  • Bronn

4 5.97%
  • Khal Drogo

3 4.48%
  • Barristan Selmy (when he was a tad younger)

22 32.84%
  • VIctarion Greyjoy

2 2.99%
  • Eddard Stark

9 13.43%
  • Jon Cunnington

0 0%
  • Symon Toyne

0 0%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: OT: The Greatest Fighter in Westeros

Timur Amir's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: OT: The Greatest Fighter in Westeros

Quote Originally Posted by Cacho View Post
    I think Rhaegar and Robert Baratheon are really underestimated, think that Rhaegar won the tourney against ser Barristan (Maybe a little old, I'll give you that) and Robert in his prime was a fierce warrior who won many melee tourneys.
    Rhaegar fought honorably, Rhaegar fought bravely...and Rhaegar died.

achudnow's Avatar Semisalis

Which implies that Robert fought dirtier than a pig in a mud pit.

Cazac's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Cacho View Post
    I think Rhaegar and Robert Baratheon are really underestimated, think that Rhaegar won the tourney against ser Barristan (Maybe a little old, I'll give you that) and Robert in his prime was a fierce warrior who won many melee tourneys.
    Granted but we decided this poll would only include fighters still alive when the books started, perhaps the only omission would be Robert. And simon toyne was my mistake, i was not that up to date with the history of the books. Now i am, but he got no votes anyway so...

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Loras Tyrell is missing? No matter, I still prefer Garlan Tyrell. Also, I don't understand ahy all these votes to Eddard Stark. Nowhere in the books is he mentioned to be a prime fighter.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

He held his own against the Sword of the Morning, this makes him quite good, at least. He wouldn't have won, but Arthur Dayne didn't slaughter him immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by achudnow View Post
    Which implies that Robert fought dirtier than a pig in a mud pit.
    He eats and drinks like one so yeah it's not out of character for him.

Going to throw out a new name. Definitely not the best, but seriously under-rated. (Yes, you may think me biased, but it is because a friend argued these points that I chose to like that house)

Jason Mallister

Let's see;
    We have 3 confirmed Lord kills on the trident (Read somewhere that they were in Rhaegars bodyguard, thus allowing Robert to win the war.) This is no small feat, considering that to beat a single Lord is worthy enough to warrant an entry in the white book.

Defeated the main attack of the Ironborn. By himself. (Atleast, I think so; If the rest of Westeros or even the Riverlands had been there helping, he likely would not have been in command) Throw in the fact he slew Rodrik (Who is brother to Asha, and we all know how lethal she is) and you get the impression he is a stout fighter.

Placed in the top 8 at the Hand's Tourney (Never described as being beaten, but not present in the final four) Also, in the White Book he is amongst the great Lords described as being beaten by Selmy, and is on the same league as the Red Viper and Rhaegar.

He is also the sole Riverlord present at Robb's last strategy meet, and is responsible for the safety of Catelyn by sheltering her at Seagard. Also, he is one of two people to pick up on the idea that sending Theon might not be the best idea in the world, even to the point of instructing his son not to associate with that "barbarian"

I don't know, for an old guy he seems like he can slug it with the best of them. Also, Eagles and Purple are both symbols of royalty...
    Last edited by Mallister; October 02, 2011 at 09:10 PM.

I want to see syrio forrel fight drogo so bad
    dan da man wit da plan
    all hail the mighty money cheat

Except they both dead. :/

What about Qarl the Maid and Black Lorren? Though the latter is dead...

Also, I would have voted Connington if you hadn't spelled it wrong.

Why arent people like Rhaegar, or Daenerys, or even Strong Belwas in this!? I mean, come on! Strong Belwas is soooooooooo awesome!? Also, for halloween, The Others! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SPOOKYYYYYYYYYYY!

Yeah, but Others aren't particularly skilled though.

Strong Belwas and Qarl the Maid should be part of this though.

Strong Belwas is an idiot. He let`s every enemy cut him once? Go, fight Oberyn. I dare you.

Hehe, it seems that only Dornishmen use poison. Others aren't all that great, they're just invulnerable to almost all weapons, which makes them pretty good fighters by itself.

ChivalrousKiller's Avatar Domesticus

Voted Eddard Stark before I started reading the books, just because he seemed so awesome in the trailer

Now that I know a lot more, I still think Lord Eddard is awesome, but the best fighter is clearly Syrio Forel. Seriously, neither the Kingslayer nor Barristan the Bold could fight off five armored guardsmen with a wooden stick

Heh, yeah, but it's questionable who would have won in a one on one fight. The Kingslayer is good, but Barristan is better, but theres no telling if Syrio could have bested either of them. Also, to all you who don't get why Eddard got votes, he not only survived two wars, but he held his own against one of the greatest fighters Westeros has ever seen, Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. Plus he might even have beat Jaime had a guard not stuck a spear into his leg. Ouch.

Sandy's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by achudnow View Post
    Also, to all you who don't get why Eddard got votes, he not only survived two wars, but he held his own against one of the greatest fighters Westeros has ever seen, Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. Plus he might even have beat Jaime had a guard not stuck a spear into his leg. Ouch.
    In the TV series ned held his own against Jaime but there wasn't really any one on one fighting in the book that i remember. Also at the tower of joy the kingsguard were outnumbered 3 to 7 and no offence to any of them but they were all well past their prime by that time. And as there was a crannogman present fighting they may well have been poisoned during the battle. Ned was certainly proficient with a sword but I don't think he's one of the greatest fighters Westeros ever saw.
    "A Lannister always pays his debts". For everyone else there's Mastercard.

GRRM is on record as saying that Ned was competent but far from exceptional as a swordsman, and that it was his brother Brandon who was the real fighter.

Sandy's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by StannisBaratheon View Post
    GRRM is on record as saying that Ned was competent but far from exceptional as a swordsman, and that it was his brother Brandon who was the real fighter.
    And based on the information we have on lyanna eg. her fights with the squires at the tourney at harrenhall and speculation
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    that shes is the knight of the laughing tree
    - Lyanna may have been a good warrior wolf too!

And as his little bro Benjen was first ranger he was likely no slouch in the swordsmanship department either.

It looks like if there was an interfamily stark fighting competition Eddy would be struggling for the bronze medal!
    "A Lannister always pays his debts". For everyone else there's Mastercard.

inquisitor's Avatar Semisalis

I love it how people discuss who the better fighter is in a fantasy settings...its obvious that its Martin's pen who decides who is the best fighter...he..?

And for the lore sake...pls remove khal drogo...that noob just walks into a blade that causes him an infection and so on
    Yeah...that is what a great fighter would do.....walk into a blade to look badass for you people...knowing that the wound could kill you...yeah great fighter he...revenge of the faceplam
    Alexander the great reported in 326BC india,that his men where afraid to go into the caves...because of the dragons living there
    Even Herodotus wrote...that he saw wingend serpents in arabia.
    The word Dinosaur wasn't in the english dictonary untill 1860...WHY??
    Because now we question the existence of god...Thats exactly what the elite(nwo,bohemian club,bilderberg group and all the other sunworhippers) want.
    Hollywood,the music and game industry are now ruled by the illuminati.Just check how many times you see a pyramid(satanic symbol),or 1 eye(the all-seeing eye of horus=satanic symbol),a checkered black and white floor or walls(masonic floor) in games,movies and cd covers.They hide messages in there products.
    And dont accept the FEMA chip....its the mark of the beast