• Lothar Brune

0 0%
  • Oberyn Martel

4 5.97%
  • Bronn

4 5.97%
  • Khal Drogo

3 4.48%
  • Barristan Selmy (when he was a tad younger)

22 32.84%
  • VIctarion Greyjoy

2 2.99%
  • Eddard Stark

9 13.43%
  • Jon Cunnington

0 0%
  • Symon Toyne

0 0%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: OT: The Greatest Fighter in Westeros

Default Re: OT: The Greatest Fighter in Westeros

Personally i think Oberyns quest for revenge for Elia was the death of him rather than his (lack of) skill in combat. And as to the poisoned weapon its Westoros, the people that fight fair seem to have rather short life expectancys. A dagger in the back or front your still just as dead is my thnking on the matter. Then again i am a bit biased on my opinion of Oberyn .

"Elia. You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children. Now say her name. "

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

There is no such thing as being baised with Oberyn, we can only acknowledge his skill and assume he is one of, if not the best fighter
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

Originally Posted by beckyolt
    Either Sandor Clegane, Thoros of Myr ( Sandor Clegane beat Jaime Lannister, and Thoros beat Sandor and that was before he got thinnier ) or Garlan Tyrelll.
    Thoros only beat the hound because he used 2 flaming swords, the hound is terrified of fire, had he been using normal swords then the hound would have won, had thoros fought jamie he would have lost easily, as jamie has no such fear of fire.

I think this " He used flaming swords " argument doesn't really makes sense. Sandor being scared by flames didn't stop him from defeating Beric Dondarrion.

And those flames Thoros used in the tournament were "fake" BTW. And he was fat by then.

Now that he's got thinnier AND the flames he uses on his sword are true flames ( that is , created by the power R'hllor gives him) Thoros must be a ridiculously powerful fighter.

Either way you must agree Thoros is probably one of the best swordsmen of Westeros.

Not to mention that these people KEEP mentioning Garlan Tyrell even though we have had no example of what he can do in a REAL fight.
    He fights and wins against four guys at once. And Loras Tyrell admited Garlan is better than him.

Um, and why the hell did people vote for Areo Hotah , Mance Rayder and Eddard Stark?
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

Areoh Hotah is considered a good fighter and possibly a great one although I would not consider him the best.
    Eddard Stark fans are mainly from the HBo show and are mislead by the duel between Eddard Stark and Jaime Lannister which never happened in the books.
    Mance Rayder fans usually pick him due to the mock fight against Jon Snow where he beats the Lord Commander.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"

and supporters of oberyn get it from when he gets beaten by the mountain
    coder and tester for the King of River and Hill submod
    coder, mapper and scripter for War of the Usurper submod

Nah, we get it from the fact that he kills Gregore Clegane with a spear and light armour. The only thing that went against him was that he was not trying to kill Gregore.

Mount Suribachi's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by martin616 View Post
    Nah, we get it from the fact that he kills Gregore Clegane with a spear and light armour. The only thing that went against him was that he was not trying to kill Gregore made the fatal mistake of underestimating his opponent.
    Fixed that for you
    Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you - Littlefinger

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post

He fights and wins against four guys at once. And Loras Tyrell admited Garlan is better than him.
    Undoubtetly he is an excellent fighter from what we have heard, but we have not yet seen him in action. And I'm not talking about fighting with blunted swords in training, I mean in a real battle/duel. What is his qualities? His weaknesses? We don't know. That's why I argue that he shouldn't be part of this discussion as of yet. But do not think that I resent him; on the contrary, he seems to be an somewhat of the few noble characters in Westeros, and whom seem to be an extrodinary fighter.
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial

Nah, we get it from the fact that he kills Gregore Clegane with a spear and light armour. The only thing that went against him was that he was not trying to kill Gregore.
    the light armor is irrelevant, he didn't have to use light armor. also he 'kills' gregor with poison, like 4 weeks later, in the duel he is killed. i don't know how he can be considered a good fighter if in the 1 battle he is in during the books he dies.

2 guys fighting isn't a battle.

but they got armour on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibloke View Post
    the light armor is irrelevant, he didn't have to use light armor. also he 'kills' gregor with poison, like 4 weeks later, in the duel he is killed. i don't know how he can be considered a good fighter if in the 1 battle he is in during the books he dies.
    He lost due to no wanting to kill Gregore as I pointed out before. If he had been trying to kill him from the start it would have been an easy victory. Even the very best fighter can lose if he is not trying to kill his enemy.

As for Garlan, he has yet to prove himelf to be a great fighter, fighting 3 soldiers of unknown skill is not really that great and his only other battle was when he pretended to be Renly when fighting Stannis. He will either be shown to be a good fighter in the next book against the Ironborn or he will die. The latter is more likely because he is hone of the few good characters left.

He lost due to no wanting to kill Gregore as I pointed out before. If he had been trying to kill him from the start it would have been an easy victory. Even the very best fighter can lose if he is not trying to kill his enemy.

As for Garlan, he has yet to prove himelf to be a great fighter, fighting 3 soldiers of unknown skill is not really that great and his only other battle was when he pretended to be Renly when fighting Stannis. He will either be shown to be a good fighter in the next book against the Ironborn or he will die. The latter is more likely because he is hone of the few good characters left.
    ok i will settle on he is a good fighter but anyone who goes into a battle to the death without the intent to kill the enemy deserves to die .

hopefully garlan won't die he is like the only honourable person left who isn't bieng hunted

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post
    I think this " He used flaming swords " argument doesn't really makes sense. Sandor being scared by flames didn't stop him from defeating Beric Dondarrion.

And those flames Thoros used in the tournament were "fake" BTW. And he was fat by then.

Now that he's got thinnier AND the flames he uses on his sword are true flames ( that is , created by the power R'hllor gives him) Thoros must be a ridiculously powerful fighter.

Either way you must agree Thoros is probably one of the best swordsmen of Westeros.

The Houd only bet Beric because Berics sword broke. Period. Beric was on the verge of beating him when his sword broke. The fact that he's thinner doest neccessarily mean he's a better fighter now. He's practically starved liek the rest of the brotherhood.

I acknowledge that he is a good fighter, and with R'hallors help he's even better. But i refuse to believe that he's one of the best swordsmen westeros has to offer

People around here really underestimate Areo Hotah. He totally slaughtered ser Arys who was in Kingsguard and basicaly he is somewhat really simmilar to knights of kingsguard it's just that he actually IS loyal and live by his vow.

Oberyn wanted a confession before he killed the Mountain thats why he lost, his obssesion with revenge for Elia got him killed not a lack of skill on his part.

"Elia. You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children. Now say her name. "

indeed his obsession was what got him killed, perhaps a smarter man would have killed the mountain when he got the chance and would not have died too. this is why he dosn't deserve to be the best fighter. Go Barristan!

Romanow122's Avatar Foederatus

For me it is quite clear Jaime Lannister. He can not only fight well, he also has style.

but ser barristan is awesome! i dont remember jaime rescueing the king single handidly, i only remember him killing said king

Korpskog's Avatar Praepositus

We should have a new poll with lesser alternatives! Btw Victarion Greyjoy is one of the greatest!
    "Får jag kalla dig Bajen? Det är lättare att komma ihåg..."

FEWER alternatives!!!