Thread: Thessalian cavalry

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Thessalian cavalry

DBH, could you make thessalians recruitable again?
    They would make a fine (even though not exceptional, maybe around maks heavy cav level) 1 turn unit available for all hellenistic factions who manage to conquer the area...
    Romans demolished the thessalian infrastructure but that region and the availability of such a good cavalry would have been a sought after prize for most successors...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Default Re: Thessalian cavalry

You have my vote for that

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

That is a possibility. Only the Seleucids (and maybe Thrace) would have much use for them though, and because cavalry are prone to suffer heavy casualties in RTW, making them unique to one region can be a pain. I could represent the better quality of Thessalian cavalry with an experience bonus to cavalry units trained there.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Well, it would also be an incentive for greeks to conquer thessaly so that they can get a 1 turn recruitment heavy cav, I see it as a possibility...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Yes, the GCS would have some use for a good quality 1 turn unit, but I would prefer to make it even harder for the GCS to get good cavalry units, rather than easier.

Protector Domesticus

Fair enough from design perspective, but given that the GCS dearth of good cavalry was a matter of circumstance and not choice (namely, no decent recruiting grounds - Thessaly was about the closest, AFAIK, and had been Macedonian territory since, what, that fight soon after Alexander's death...?), it'd seem a little odd if they didn't gleefully recruit every aristocratic Thessalian horseman they could find into their armies the second they seized the place.

Sure, and in fact they get some excellent cavalry units in XGM, but I still think that cavalry should be in relatively short supply. They did have a strong cultural preference for infantry.