Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian politics.

Prosaic Visitant's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Australian politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    may the best man win then
    I look foward to it. I haz magic powers that allow me to set things on fire using my mind.

i find it disturbing the inroads the christian right have made in australian politics, wanting to introduce scripture in classes, and influencing politics, ahem archbishop george pell ahem.
    I'm not too worried, I view them with a mix of amusement and contempt. For their agenda to be imposed on the nation, they have to have a large enough base; something I would think they lack. What influence they have is slipping due to shifting demographics and the fact that many Christians are deviants and heretics from their hardline attitude. Australia's very irreligious nature makes it look more like Europe than the US.

if the Chinese do plan on invading, then it's probably something they've already done. some of the oldest families in australia are Chinese, and recently,the Chinese overtook the british as the largest migrating group into oz.
    Australia's Eurabia, plotting to Sinofy the White Man's land, eh? I call it Chinustralia

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Malzahar View Post
    I look foward to it. I haz magic powers that allow me to set things on fire using my mind.
    damn you monarchists, you kneelers
    why do you kneel to a foreign monarch half the world away?

I'm not too worried, I view them with a mix of amusement and contempt. For their agenda to be imposed on the nation, they have to have a large enough base; something I would think they lack. What influence they have is slipping due to shifting demographics and the fact that many Christians are deviants and heretics from their hardline attitude. Australia's very irreligious nature makes it look more like Europe than the US.
    i take issue with any sort of religious influence in the classrooms or in politics; sure we can take australians' ireligious nature for now...but what about later? it wasn't so long ago that most americans believed in evolution, now 40% of americans believe in 'intelligent design' based on religious reasons. you get my drift.

Australia's Eurabia, plotting to Sinofy the White Man's land, eh? I call it Chinustralia
    the lebanese and muslims aren't that big of a problem i dont think; and half the illegal immigrants who want in on this party usually get sent back. pity the malaysia plan got scrapped and that the pacific solution wasn't continued. howard was a dick but at least he stopped the boats coming.

Most Chinese who end up migrating to oz tend to be the middle to upper class, they're the only ones who can afford to live in australia without government aid; they dont have to flee their homelands due to war as the 70s era viets were forced to do.

I do it to troll republicans.

At least with the monarchy and Governor Generals, there is an aura of decorum and dignity.

Now, would you like a Rudd or Gillard or Abbott for President? representing us overseas?

i take issue with any sort of religious influence in the classrooms or in politics; sure we can take australians' ireligious nature for now...but what about later? it wasn't so long ago that most americans believed in evolution, now 40% of americans believe in 'intelligent design' based on religious reasons. you get my drift.
    Well, I kind of find it hard to see the Chrisitian Right becoming more empowered in the future; the rise of spirituality, the trickle of Muslims, the atheist bloc, the contemporary Christian who cares not about doctrine and other heathen faiths all dilute the strength of the creationist, anti-gay type of wingnut.

the lebanese and muslims aren't that big of a problem i dont think; and half the illegal immigrants who want in on this party usually get sent back. pity the malaysia plan got scrapped and that the pacific solution wasn't continued. howard was a dick but at least he stopped the boats coming.
    I'm tempted to say something about the Cronulla Riots here.

Most Chinese who end up migrating to oz tend to be the middle to upper class, they're the only ones who can afford to live in australia without government aid; they dont have to flee their homelands due to war as the 70s era viets were forced to do.
    The PRC is deliberately trying to take control of Australia's social and economic elite. Fact.

Dominicvs's Avatar Biarchus

We have the worst government in the world. My views:

-Rudd should be back in power, you cannot just take leadership away from someone mid term. No matter how much I don't like him either.
    -The Malaysia deal and and the Assylum seekers issue is just rubbish, the Howard government had it right.
    -Australia contributes less that 1% of the world emissions, I don't even believe in climate change, but even if it was real, us making a tax to pay for carbon dioxide in our air is the stupidiest thing I've ever heard.
    -All Australian politicians are dead liars, and if the rest of the world knew how bad our politics really was, they would be shocked.
    -China is taking over, soon we will be an Asian nation, give it 50 years, we will no longer be part of the west.
    -We have no balls in this country, we just follow what ever the USA does, we do not think for ourselves or make any bold moves.
    Last edited by Dominicvs; September 16, 2011 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Res Pvblica View Post
    We have the worst government in the world. My views:

-Rudd should be back in power, you cannot just take leadership away from someone mid term. No matter how much I don't like him either.
    -The Malaysia deal and and the Assylum seekers issue is just rubbish, the Howard government had it right.
    -Australia contributes less that 1% of the world emissions, I don't even believe in climate change, but even if it was real, us making a tax to pay for carbon dioxide in our air is the stupidiest thing I've ever heard.
    -All Australian politicians are dead liars, and if the rest of the world knew how bad our politics really was, they would be shocked.
    -China is taking over, soon we will be an Asian nation, give it 50 years, we will no longer be part of the west.
    -We have no balls in this country, we just follow what ever the USA does, we do not think for ourselves or make any bold moves.
    While our government stinks like a piece of wrapped in dead fish, I'd rather it than Pakistan's government.

The Jewish American Overlords are displeased with your lack of respect for the Empire. If you repent now, the CIA wont hurt you, much.

I kneel to no foreign Monarch, I kneel to Elizabeth II queen of Australia. She is just queen of many other countries simultaneously and so she has to appoint a Governor General to carry out her responsibilities for her in most countries.

As already asked by Malzahar, would you prefer one of our bloody politicians taking on the role of head of state?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Carpe Diem

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi1 View Post
    I kneel to no foreign Monarch, I kneel to Elizabeth II queen of Australia. She is just queen of many other countries simultaneously and so she has to appoint a Governor General to carry out her responsibilities for her in most countries.

As already asked by Malzahar, would you prefer one of our bloody politicians taking on the role of head of state?
    i'd prefer our head of state to represent all Australians, and how can he or she represent all Australians if he or she isn't an Australian ?

i'd also prefer if our politicians served Australia's interest rather than those of foreign governments; we havent had an independant Australian foreign policy since our inception as a Federation; we were british vassals and now it appears we are just as slavish to american interests as we were during the cold war.

Independant foreign policy and self reliance doesn't mean we ignore or insult our neighbours; understand this, we are allies with the US, we are not vassals like the koreans or the japanese, prideless fools who'll kneel and serve senor american at a moment's notice. Unfortunately, the relationship is more like that of a lord-vassal than amongst equals.

also, i note that soon, ruddkipps and his US counterparts may well be finalising a deal to have US arms and equipment stored in australia, whilst i havent got much to complain about in that respect, it's only a step in the door before we have US bases in australia again, oh the humiliation. Not to mention, is it the stated desire for policymakers in washington to want to make the anglo union na reality? licketty split before australia becomes more asian than anglo?
    Last edited by Exarch; September 16, 2011 at 07:55 PM.

i'd prefer our head of state to represent all Australians, and how can he or she represent all Australians if he or she isn't an Australian ?

i'd also prefer if our politicians served Australia's interest rather than those of foreign governments; we havent had an independant Australian foreign policy since our inception as a Federation; we were british vassals and now it appears we are just as slavish to american interests as we were during the cold war.

Independant foreign policy and self reliance doesn't mean we ignore or insult our neighbours
    Rudd it is, I can already see the foreign media laughing.

Anyway, what is wrong with Australia being close to the US? Why is the US so wrong to ally with?

Indefinitely Banned

Rudd it is, I can already see the foreign media laughing.
    rudd will never be PM, he was the crappiest PM we've ever had and polls indicate Libs may win come elections.

Anyway, what is wrong with Australia being close to the US? Why is the US so wrong to ally with?
    there's nothing wrong with Australia being allies with the US, but there's a problem with the aim of that alliance being targeted against our largest trading partner, and rising regional hegemon-China.

rudd will never be PM, he was the crappiest PM we've ever had and polls indicate Libs may win come elections.
    Ordinarily, I would want the Libs to win, but not with Abbott as Fuhrer. I'm donkeying at the next election. Or scribbling 'Dark Lord Sauron'.

there's nothing wrong with Australia being allies with the US, but there's a problem with the aim of that alliance being targeted against our largest trading partner, and rising regional hegemon-China.
    I see, it's just in my experience people see foreign policy as a zero sum game; either we are with China or the US. I reckon we can be close to both. I agree that we must be with the US not simply as a means to agitate or threaten China.

Protector Domesticus

China is already buying up Australian farmland, its only a matter of time before they own the rest of it

In terms of defence, we need to go back to the old plan....lining our coast with Nuclear missiles, hell if the Yanks and Poms were not pricks about it, we would already have implemented it.

Quote Originally Posted by SLN445 View Post
    China is already buying up Australian farmland, its only a matter of time before they own the rest of it

In terms of defence, we need to go back to the old plan....lining our coast with Nuclear missiles, hell if the Yanks and Poms were not pricks about it, we would already have implemented it.
    The Japanese in the pre-1937 world should've done what the Chinese are doing today.

Indeed, nukes are the only answer; arms keep peace.

Indefinitely Banned

Ordinarily, I would want the Libs to win, but not with Abbott as Fuhrer. I'm donkeying at the next election. Or scribbling 'Dark Lord Sauron'.
    abbot is indeed a tool, if brendan nelson were still leader, i'd be of a different mind. come next election, i may do the same as well, or just give my votes to the sex party. need i say it, but the greens.

I see, it's just in my experience people see foreign policy as a zero sum game; either we are with China or the US. I reckon we can be close to both. I agree that we must be with the US not simply as a means to agitate or threaten China.
    we're better off with a swiss policy of neutrality and non-confrontation, i'm impressed at how the swiss have maintained their own neutrality and impartiality throughout the last 2 centuries, no major powers influencing their foreign/internal policy.

they're not going to own the rest of it; the fed gov. would have done something about it, for the moment it seems their investment in australian and NZ farmland is to tap into demand for australian and NZ produce, especially dairy products especially after the melamine scare in 08. Long term, there's probably a strategic reason to want to source their food from australian producers, but we're only a fraction of food suppliers to China when u factor in kazakhstan, brazil, US, Canada etc etc.

unfortunately, we can't have our own nuke arsenal; we're a signatory of NPT; what i would like to see is an independant missile defence shield, which of course means having our own independant space program.

if it helps, we could ahem *requisition* the nukes the yanks have probably stored in oz, i mean our former lords and masters, the British used the outback to test their nukes, why can't we have our own nukes

Protector Domesticus

unfortunately, we can't have our own nuke arsenal; we're a signatory of NPT; what i would like to see is an independant missile defence shield, which of course means having our own independant space program.

if it helps, we could ahem *requisition* the nukes the yanks have probably stored in oz, i mean our former lords and masters, the British used the outback to test their nukes, why can't we have our own nukes
    We cant because the U.S refused to allow us too, we have been trying to get the capabilities since the 50's but have been rejected and the brits bullied into agreeing.
    Though thats probley because back then we had a horrible issue with Russian spys and our inability to stop information leaking.... and now the mention of "Nuclear" in this country is the basis of certain rejection.

Indefinitely Banned

ironic eh especially considering we're the saudi arabia when it comes to uranium; i dont see why we shouldnt go ahead and develop nukes as part of power generation anyhow, especially if we're going to introduce a carbon tax

Protector Domesticus

They want our uranium, just dont want us to be the ones using it

And yeh we should use Nuclear power, id get a job since my town is one of the proposed sites for a plant

Indefinitely Banned

They want our uranium, just dont want us to be the ones using it

And yeh we should use Nuclear power, id get a job since my town is one of the proposed sites for a plant
    u should hitch a ride on the mining boom, a mate of mine who i had a class with, dropped out of uni to do just that. they say even the truck drivers who drive those massive monstrosities can earn up to 5 figures a year.

can u imagine a nuclear australia lol, probably give bob brown and his greens a haemorrhoid or two; he deserves each and every now.
    i'm in favour of developing our nonexistent space sector, unfortunately our qasi lords in washington will brook no competitors in the aerospace field so it shall not be done. we are de facto vassals to a foreign nation. yet again.

Protector Domesticus

Ive got friends off working in the mining sector, the income is good but its not something im cut out for.

Haha, id have Nuclear power just for that satisfying feeling of seeing the Greens a brick.

Anyways off to melbourne for a couple of days.

ironic eh especially considering we're the saudi arabia when it comes to uranium; i dont see why we shouldnt go ahead and develop nukes as part of power generation anyhow, especially if we're going to introduce a carbon tax
    We have massive amounts of coal and no need for nuclear power,our power bills are to high as it is.Keep shifting uranium overseas,hell I'm even up for taking it back and storing it for the right price.I think i just gave Bob Brown a heart attack.

I really cant see a carbon tax coming in,i even put $50 on Simon crean to lead the ALP into a election for the second half of next year,i think then we will have our referendum on this tax and it will lose.
    Last edited by bushranger; September 16, 2011 at 10:24 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Ive got friends off working in the mining sector, the income is good but its not something im cut out for.

Haha, id have Nuclear power just for that satisfying feeling of seeing the Greens a brick.

Anyways off to melbourne for a couple of days.
    lol, have fun with them bogans, try not to let them bite you, else you'll turn into one of them

Quote Originally Posted by bushranger View Post
    We have massive amounts of coal and no need for nuclear power,our power bills are to high as it is.Keep shifting uranium overseas,hell I'm even up for taking it back and storing it for the right price.I think i just gave Bob Brown a heart attack.

I really cant see a carbon tax coming in,i even put $50 on Simon crean to lead the ALP into a election for the second half of next year,i think then we will have our referendum on this tax and it will lose.
    we do indeed have massive amounts of coal. and sun. why we don't enter into some sort of joint venture with the Chinese in developing solar tech is beyond me, i say the Chinese because they're the biggest investors when it comes to solar tech and won't skimp on the funding needed for it.

a carbon tax sounds good in principle but the last thing all australians need now are more taxes. , at this rate i wont even be able to afford a house when i return to oz; we're all looking at 50 yr mortgages at average salaries in some of the major cities and the first home owners' grant doesnt even cut it.