Thread: Eastern infantry too heavy?

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Having played this mod on and off for a really long time, I had never gotten around recruiting or even zooming in on the eastern infantry equivalents of this mod, because, you know, they're useless for anything other than pushing rams (which the cheaper peltast guys with axes do equally well) and serving as arrow fodder (ditto). Until I noticed their equipment in some old preview on the .org. And I am rather surprised by their 'heavy' appearance.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As you can see they appear to be wearing armor.

I am not sure if that is historical, or just included for variety?

-- double posts merged (Brusilov) - please use the EDIT button for updates and no buming - you're posts were 1 hour apart...

Gawd I hate it when tons of people look at my idiotic delirium yet no one bothers to answer.
    Last edited by Brusilov; September 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: Eastern infantry too heavy?

The eastern factions have 'some' decent infantry because in this game you almost must have infantry for the faction to survive. But only Armenia...of the eastern factions, put much emphasis on infantry. The units you see are based on historical\archaeological information, and yes, some were armored, but by and large they were 'inferior' compared to the likes of Seleucid, Pontus, etc. That's why they are, as you say, kinda cannon fodder. You need them as the player to use against infantry and siege...the AI definitely needs them for siege and fodder of some sort to back up cavalry. In reality, nations like Parthia used infantry for garrison duty almost exclusively....they were too slow to meet their needs in the field.

I hope that answers the question.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

What's with the looks then? The first one looks like heavy infantry, and even has an acinaces short stabbing sword.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    What's with the looks then? The first one looks like heavy infantry, and even has an acinaces short stabbing sword.
    have you played with eastern Sparabara in RSII anyway? even with all their armour...

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

As I said, I never use that crap. I am attacking the looks now. If they didn't suck, this mod would be .

The name Sparabara means "shield bearer" and this suits them because they are actually pretty good at holding enemy infantry in place. The Takabara(ones with axes and javelins) are more versatile and better offense-wise but with slightly lower defense. To me, the Sparabara don't look much heavier than medium Judean Infantry(which I use alot). Just a mail torso with a balaclava and cotton pants. Both have their own uses(even "fodder" as you said =P) but each are pretty inferior to Hellenic infantry.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

In case you missed the original post they appear to be wearing iron scale armor, in Achaeminid Times , sure, why not, but in the Seleucid era?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Well, first off, it does appear that the unit in the top picture is wrong.....it should be quilted Linen armor, not metal scale. (Unless I am seriously mistaken.)

Secondly, Sparabara and Takabara are just words that meant 'shield-bearer' and '????' It seems to be a reference to the function of the unit, not it's real name.

I know we did a lot of research on the Parthians....I did a good deal myself, but to be honest, there is a very, very little information about their military, and even less about their infantry.
    We used the units and the names because, well, there's nothing else TO use.

But as I stated before, these infantry are indeed of little use other than fodder, pushing equipment and distracting the enemy. The Parthians didn't use infantry much.
    Their armor, shield and weapons were inadequate against the phalanx or hoplites (as was historically proven over time), so we didn't make them all that great.
    Last edited by dvk901; September 16, 2011 at 09:10 AM.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Iron scale armor was used... By Achaemenids. The Parthians generally neglected infantry.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    Iron scale armor was used... By Achaemenids. The Parthians generally neglected infantry.
    And the Sparabara are generally better than your average Eastern Levy Spearmen (Yes roach, this is an actual unit which looks more like what the Parthians SHOULD be using).
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Eastern Levy Spearmen are truly terrible, though. I would hate to play as Parthia if that was the only type of infantry I could train.

"The typical Persian infantryman was not as well equipped as his hoplite opponent. The head was usually protected only with a cloth hat and a soft cloth that could be worn over the face to guard against dust. Armor to protect the torso was composed of iron scales and was worn under a brightly decorated tunic. Shields were made of wicker with the occasional hide covering. Shields were typically stuck into the ground to afford protection while the soldier fired his bow. The Persians were afforded no leg protection." - Describing Persian infantry during the Persian Wars.

Seems to be pretty accurate if they had scale armour even before Seleucid times.

Hmm... Each description says something else. I have seen them described as unarmored and untrained, and I have seen them being described as well trained and disciplined. It seems that the Persians either had a line of spearmen protecting the archers and holding the line, or simply archers with no melee protection behind a line of shields. I am inclined to believe the former, but that's just me.

Although the wicker shield would only be used with hide, since otherwise it would not be any use.

Maybe its not meant to represent metal scale, but scale of a much lighter material?

I recall reading somewhere that the Sarmatians had scale armor made of hooves or other light materials, but i may be mis-remembering it.

Please rep me for my posts, not for the fact that i have a Pony as an Avatar.

Sparabara and Takabara are just words that meant 'shield-bearer' and '????'
    I think I heard somwhere that takabara means "tabar axe and shield" but I am not sure...
    Sorry for my English...

top 10 favourite mods: RTRVII, RSII, 300WOS, LOTRTW, FATW, HCT, EB, ROP, ARISTEIA, IBFD

Quote Originally Posted by TWWolfe View Post
    Maybe its not meant to represent metal scale, but scale of a much lighter material?

I recall reading somewhere that the Sarmatians had scale armor made of hooves or other light materials, but i may be mis-remembering it.
    That wouldn't be exactly practical, not for scale armor. And the description says "iron scale armor". I guess it's meant to represent the Achaemenid infantry then.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Antiviros View Post
    I think I heard somwhere that takabara means "tabar axe and shield" but I am not sure...
    "-bara" means "bearer". So it's "Taka-bearer", whatever a taka is.