Thread: Helios 60 - E pluribus unum

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Helios 60 - E pluribus unum

ContentsMythology: Article II by Narf.
    A Guide to Rock Operas: Part 1 by Hobbes.
    Democracy Humbled - The Great Athenian Siege of Syracuse (415-413BC) by grouchy13.
    The Magic Number... by rez.
    Theodore Komnenos Dukas and the race for the conquest of Constantinople (1215-1230) by Manuel I Komnenos.
    How is authority bestowed upon governments? by René Artois.
    The Charge of the Light Brigade by m_1512.
    The Icelandic Language by Boustrophedon.

From the Editor:

Dear all,

It's September already: the nights are drawing in, there's a distinct chill in the air, and the leaves and started to drop off some of the trees already. In short, it's high time we had another edition of The Helios. I hope you all had long and enjoyable summers -- I know I certainly did -- but with the autumn air comes the need to get back to work, hence why I'm typing these very words to you now, as it's high time that this edition was published, and I needed to get it to you before the 18th as my own work is beginning on that date. I will be moving to France to take up a post as an English language teacher in a rather impoverished collège in the south of Paris. I must admit that I felt some trepidation when I learned which school I would be going to and what the area around it was like, but as the weeks and months went on I decided that it should be something to be treated as a challenge. After all, doesn't every child, poor or not, have the right to the best education that the state can provide? I flatter myself in thinking that I will improve the child's education, but I firmly believe that a native speaker of a language makes the best teacher of it, as long as that person has had sufficient pedagogical training to begin with.

Anyway, September is a month of new beginnings; some of you will be going back to school or university, or even making that leap from one to the other, and I wish you the very best of luck if you fall into the above category. For those in the UK off to university I wish you even more luck due to the scheduled tuition fee rises that are to come into force next year. It's for this reason that a record number of students applied to universities, and a staggeringly large number were rejected by their preferred choice, despite getting the grades necessary. Edinburgh university announced that its fees would now make a degree from there, if you're an English student -- something that's being challenged in court by the way -- worth £36,000, the most expensive out of all universities in Britain, which is certainly a strange prospect considering some of the institutions we have south of the border as well.

You'll notice a few fresh faces once more amongst the line-up of The Helios, as well as a few regulars. I believe it's a publication that lends itself to both old and new writers, as anyone can contribute an article as long as it's of a decent length, and on an interesting non-fiction subject. If you've got a particular passion for something that you'd like to share with the rest of TWC by showing off how knowledgeable you are about it, please don't hesitate to contact me and we can arrange a draft article with a view to getting the real thing published at a later date. This edition, like the one before it, actually stretches over 2 posts due to the sheer amount of work that my writers have put in to make sure you receive as informative and interesting a read as possible. Enjoy.

Jom

Narf
    Never mind the content of the article, I think Narf deserves an enormous amount of credit simply for the ingenious layout of her article. Luckily, the writing is of an excellent quality too, so I urge you to read every word as she explains more about European mythology, this time delving into the Nordic.

Mythology: Article II
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Icons
    Icons

These are the keys I use in each explanation, they explain what kind of information I give.

Myth.
    This Icon signals that the text below is a representation of some of the best known myths and stories.

People.
    This Icon signals that the text below provides more detailed information about the people and creatures appearing in the myths.

Gods.
    This Icon signals that the text below provides information about gods and spirits from their respective regions.

Art.
    This Icon signals that the text below describes how myths and beliefs were depicted in various forms of art.

Themes.
    This Icon signals that the text below sheds light on the most significant or repeated themes and topics in the myths.

Northern Europe
    Northern Europe- Part 1

Art

Church decorations as these carvings were a way to ensure
    that the stories remained a part of the cultural heritage.

Introduction

Nordic myths tell of conflicts between gods and Jotun, between chaos and order.
    Sources are scarce, but the mythological influence extended far beyond Scandinavia.
    In the English-speaking world some of the weekdays are still named after the Norse gods:
    Tuesday - Tyr's day,
    Wednesday - Woden / Odin's day,
    Thursday - Thor's day;
    Friday - Frigg's day.
    When the Roman empire crumbled, Germanic tribes pushed forward west of the Rhine and settled in areas the Romans had formerly defended.
    The Germanic people were those who spoke Germanic languages​​, in contrast to the Celtic, Slavic and Latin languages.
    From the fourth to sixth centuries CE Europe experienced continual migrations.
    Some Germanic dialects disappeared the rest developed into what is now German, Dutch, Flemish, English, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and Icelandic.
    In these areas the Germans took not only their language with them but also their myths, religion and customs.
    In Central Europe and England only a few testimonies of the old religion is preserved because of the early conversion to Christianity
    To get a picture of Germanic mythology we must therefore turn to Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Iceland in particular, where Christianity first took root the year 1000.

Gods

Odin, a magician and god of war.
    The Norse?
    The only contemporary evidence we have is from outside observers such as the Roman historian Tacitus. The Germanic people wrote nothing themselves. Their runic alphabet, which had mystical significance was only used for short inscriptions on wood and stone - not for long dissertations. The main written sources of the mythology from around the thirteenth century, when the authors were already Christians, comes from Iceland where interest in the ancient gods held the longest. Snorri Sturluson, an Icelandic brilliant scholar, who was also a large landowner and a major political figure and a Christian, wrote around 1220 a book on the pagan gods and myths to ensure they were not lost for future poets. It is from Snorri's book, Edda that we get the fullest impression of Norse mythology. Also written in the thirteenth century Iceland is an equally important source. A collection of mythological poems known as the Elder Edda. We have also fragmentary evidence from the Icelandic sagas and from archeology such as the magnificent ship burial at Oseberg and Sutton Ho.
    Life and Nature
    The Nordic people believed that life had arisen because fire and ice met, and that at Ragnarok, the world's end, flames will reach the heavens and the earth will be engulfed by the sea. Destruction by fire and water must have been a familiar image of the poets who wrote down the myths of the volcanic Island, and their vision of fire and steam, which rises towards the sky may well be inspired by volcanic activity. Descriptions of large outbreaks through the years has strong similarity to the sequence of events by Ragnarok: mountains be shaken by earthquakes, the sun was darkened by clouds of smoke and ash, followed by flames, smoke and steam that fills the sky, melting ice, creating flooding along rivers of glowing lava. The great winter and solar eclipse, which lasted three years without a summer, was something that people in the north with their long, dark winters had reason to fear. Especially in Iceland, summers are without darkness and winters without light. This apocalyptic vision has much in common with ideas of world destruction in other cultures.

Themes

Myths and legends are preserved in ancient
    illustrated manuscripts.
    Religious customs
    The Norse gods were worshiped in many ways. Large statues of Thor, Odin and Freyr stood in the splendid temple at Uppsala in Sweden, where there apparently was sacrificed humans. For other, less glorious temples, the priests sacrificed animals, especially for Thor and Freyr. There were also sacrifices in sacred groves, to rocks and stones, where the patron creatures were believed to live. This type of sacrifices consisted mainly of food. Simple altars of stone placed on top of one another were erected in the open air for such sacrifices. Temples could be very simple buildings. In nature where sacred places such as Helga Mountain (sacred mountain) in western Iceland. Thorolf Aunt beard, a big fan of Thor, considered this mountain so sacred, that no one should view it unwashed, and no living creature should suffer pain there. Same Thorolf also followed the widespread custom of throwing wooden poles from his high seat overboard when the ship closer to land. Where Thor let them drift ashore, they had to build and live. Thorolf considered this place that way was chosen by Thor, so holy that none might contaminate it with bloodshed or excrement.

The Creation
    In the beginning was Ginnungagap, an empty nothing. To the south lay the hot Muspellheim and north the icyNiflheim. From a host in Niflheim streamed eleven rivers which at a distance from their source froze. The ice piled up and was covered with frost, layer upon layer until it reached into Ginnungagap. The part of Ginnungagap who turned against Niflheim, was full of ice and frost, while the southern part was heated by hot winds from Muspellheim. When the ice met the heat came the first life forms. Drops of melted ice shaped into the giant Ymir. Three gods - Odin, Vili and Ve - slew Ymir and created the world of his body. They carried him into the middle of Ginnungagap and formed the earth from his flesh and from his bones the rocks.His blood became the sea and lakes. They created the heavens of Ymir's skull, and in every corner of the world they set a dwarf - Nordri, Sudri, Austri and Vestri. The Gods made plants and trees from Ymir's hair, and his brains scattered on the sky as clouds.

Art

Detail of wallpaper that shows the
    one-eyed Odin with ax, Thor with his hammer and
    the fertility god Frey.
    The Creation of Life
    From Ymir the old giant, which came into being at the beginning of time, came a race of giants. As Ymir slept, he sweated, and a man and a woman grew up under his armpit, while one of his legs fathered a son with another. Ymir got his nourishment from a cow Audhumla that arose spontaneously at the beginning of creation. She licked the salty, rime-covered stones, and the hair of a man appeared. Next day came the head, and on the third day there was a great man, Buri, who was tall, big and beautiful. He had a son Bor, who married Bestla, a giant's daughter. They had three sons: the gods Odin, Vili and Ve. These three gods killed Ymir and created the world of his body, and they also created the humans shaping a man and a woman by two logs, which they found on the beach. Odin gave the new creatures breath and life, Vili gave them the sense and motion, and Ve gave them faces, voice, hearing and vision. They called the man Ask (ash) and the woman Embla (of unknown meaning). From them comes all mankind.

The Creation of Social Classes

The Creation of various social classes due to the enigmatic god Heirndall. In Disguise Heimdall came one day to a farm where he was received by Ai and Edda (great-grandfather and great-grandmother), which offered him on coarse bread and thin soup. He stayed with them for three nights and slept between the couple. Nine months later Edda gave birth to a son, a dark-skinned, ugly child, who was named Thrall. Thralls life was hard work, and from him descended slaves. Next came Heimdall to a dwelling where a well-dressed couple, Afi and Amma (grandfather and grandmother) welcomed him and served a delicious meat dish. He slept three nights with them. Nine months later Amma gave birth to a son with bright eyes and a healthy, ruddy complexion, which was named Karl. He grew up and became a farmer, and from him comes all free peasants. Now came Heimdall to a grand hall where Fadir and Modir (dad and mom) entertained him with a lavish meal of bread, meat, poultry and wine. Heimdall stayed with them three nights and slept between them and nine months after a boy was born with sharp eyes, blond and light. He was named Earl, and was trained in hunting and weapons use. From him descended nobility.

Art

The motif on the chest of this figure represents
    which is a part of a handle on a bucket is a
    symbol of the god Thor.
    Cosmology
    In old Norse they believed that the world consist of three layers, one above the other. The gods who were called Æsir, lived in Asgard at the top. On the same plane was Vanaheim, where Vanir (the other god-group) lived and Alfheim, the elves home. Underneath was Midgard, where humans lived; Jotunheim, land of the giants; Svartalfheim, home of the black-elves and Nidavellir, the Dwarf home. Asgard and Midgard was connected by a flaming bridge, Bifrost, also known as the rainbow. At the lowest plane was cold Niflheim. The pillar that held up the world, was known as the world tree. the large ash Yggdrasil, who went through all three planes. Yggdrasil's branches stretched across the earth, and its three roots burrowing deep into the universe's three planes. Urd's well, where the gods every day held council was below the roots that reached into Asgard. Under the second root, which stretched into Jotunheim was Mimirs well, where Odin gave one eye in exchange for a sip of the source of wisdom. At the root, which reached into Niflheim, was the waterspring Hvergelmirs found, which created 11 rivers.

Jötunn

Jotun's, large and usually hostile, played a central role in Nordic myths. They usually represent the negative chaos forces which the gods were forced to fight to maintain world order. Yet it was not always so. The relationship was not always so simple. Although the gods daily employment for the most part consisted in protecting themselves from Jotun, Jotun was not automatically the enemy. Sometimes they proved helpful, many deities had affairs with Jotun women or even married them. (For example, married Freyr with GERD, a Jotun daughter; Njord married Harm, also a Jotun woman). Odin himself was descended from a Jotun and had numerous affairs with Jotun women. Yet, as the normal way to treat Jotun is to crush them with Thor's hammer. Famous Jotun include Hrungnir who challenged Thor to a duel, and Thiazi who stole the golden apples of youth. clay. Utgard-Loki, The Jotun's king, used magic to trick Thor and his companions. Helpful Jotun is mostly of females and counts among other Gerd, as Thor borrowed a rod and a power belt. Thor also had two sons with the Jotun woman Jarnsaxa.

Themes

Family

Life was hard for people in Northern Europe.
    The harsh climate and landscape were wrested food for the long, cold,
    dark winters. In Iceland, where the myths lived longest, the weather could
    be ruthless and make travel impossible. Under these conditions were
    family relations crucial. Families had to be self-sufficient, and family ties
    gave guaranteed support in difficult times. This is reflected in the myths
    about the gods, who experienced many risky adventures but with few
    exceptions were a close-knit group that helped and supported each other.

Gods

Thor

Armed with his hammer Thor guarded the world. He was famous for
    his tremendous strength that surpassed all others.
    He was huge, with red hair and beard, red eyebrows and red, flaming eyes.
    Thor's principal occupation was to crush the giants,
    who constantly threatened the gods and the human world.
    Thor chasing these creatures in the conscious intent
    to destroy them and did not hesitate to lift his hammer when he met one.
    Felt the gods threatened, they could always count on Thor's help.

Art

This is a golden neclace a symbol for Thor
    in the form of hes hammer Mjølnir.

Myths

Thor loses his Hammer

The myth of the Theft of Thor's hammer, Mjølnir, shows how important the hammer was for their safety and how far they would go to get it back. It also tells about the hammer's many features. Thor woke up one morning and saw that the hammer was gone .. He woke Loki and told that the hammer had been stolen. Loki decided that he would ask the Jotun king, but the land he lived in is a dangerous place, so in order to get there fast and alive he decided they should visit Freya. 'Will you lend us your falcon-skin, so we can find the hammer? " asked Thor. 'With pleasure,' said Freya, 'I'd give you this, even if it were made of gold or silver, if it can help you find Mjølnir. " Loki flew in Freya's falcon-skin and met the Jotun king Thrym in Jounheim. 'Have you stolen Thor's hammer? " asked Loki. 'Yes, and I've hidden the hammer eight mile underground,' said Thrym, 'and no one will get it again before I got Freya as Wife. " Loki and Thor asked Freya to prepare to become Thrym's bride. She was furious and refused without even considering it. mad that they even dared ask her.. Worried the gods met to figure out what to do. If the Jotuns had Thor's hammer, the gods were as good as defenseless against attack, and Asgard would soon be overrun - but if Freya would not marry Thrym, how could they get the hammer back. Heimdall had an idea. "Let us disguise Thor like Freya and send him to Thrym instead of Freya." Thor did not like the proposal, he could not possibly wear women's clothing, but Loki reminded him of the fate that awaited Asgard, if he did not get Mjølnir

Themes.

Thor's Hammer as an Amulet

Amulets in the form of Thor's hammer made ​​of silver or other metals
    has been found in graves and evidence of belief in Thor as patron.
    Most are from the late tenth century and comes from Denmark,
    southern Norway and south-eastern Sweden. Some are very small
    , a few centimeters long, and many an eye, so they could be worn
    on a cord or chain. As a protective symbol was possibly the pagan
    version of the small cross, which Christians bore.
    There has been found foundry molds in which the cross and
    hammer have been produced side by side
    so that requests from clients with different beliefs have been met.
    Clever Smith.
    back(And that Odin was the god of Magic and could put a illusion around him.). So Thor was wearing a wedding dress with jewels on the chest, Freyas necklace Brisingamen and a veil over her head. Loki accompanied the disguised Thor and was even dressed as his bridesmaid

Thrym rejoiced by Freyas arrival, and his servants prepare a great feast for them. Thor sat at the table and ate an entire ox, eight salmon and all the goodies intended for the ladies, all washed down with three horn full of mead. Thrym watched with some concern about his bride and said that he had never seen a woman eat and drink so much. Loki had to think quickly to avoid detection. 'Freya has neither eaten nor drunk for eight days, so eager was she to get to Jotunheim,' he said. It pleased Thrym greatly that she had looked forward to comming. He lifted the veil to kiss Freya, but shrank back alarmed. 'Why does Freya have fiery red eyes? " he gasped shocked. Loki said: "Freya has not slept for eight nights, so eager to get to Jotunheim." Thrym was satisfied with the answer and let the wedding proceed. He ordered Mjølnir brought in to marry the 'happy' couple. The hammer was placed in the bride's lap. When Thor got the hammer, the situation was different. He jumped up, tore the veil away and crushed all the Jotuns in the hall with Thrym as the first.

Fairies and Dwarves

Art

The figure on this pendant represents Freja.
    Around her neck she wears Brisingamen as
    the dwarves forged for her.

Fairies in Norse mythology are mostly helpful creatures associated with the country. Some, however, could be dangerous. Anglo-Saxons, Norwegians and Icelanders thought they could cause illness and nightmares. Light-elves, beautiful as the sun and just so friendly, lived in Alfheim, while black elves, evil and blacker than soot, lived underground. Another underground lineage were dwarves. They did not need to be particularly small, but they were hideous. Dwarves arose from the ground like maggots in the ancient-Jotun Ymir's flesh, and the gods gave them intelligence and wit. Dwarves were master craftsmen and forged items for the gods with magical powers, especially in gold. Among the things they made ​​to them was Thor's hammer Mjølnir, Odin's ring Draupnir and Freya's famous necklace. Gleipnir, the only yard that could hold Fenris, was also their work. Dwarves could sometimes put a curse in things, especially if they were forced to forge them or give them away. For example, two dwarves were forced to forge a magical sword, and laid a curse in it, so it could never be pulled of its sheath without killing.

People

Drawing of a fairy parade. The bright colors show that they are intended as light-elves.

Themes

In this picture of Yggdrasil, the world tree.
    The omniscient eagle is easily seen on top and the snake
    Nidhug is wrapped around the roots.

Themes.

LAW AND ORDER!

The theme of order pervades the Nordic mythology, where gods constantly
    struggle to maintain or restore order, threatened by dark, unpredictable
    forces, mainly in the guise of Jotun. Thor's strength and his hammer is
    the most important weapon in the battle, and especially Thor
    stands for justice, law and order.
    He was the one humans approached and bonded trust.
    The annual Icelandic "Thing-Meeting" where laws were recited, disputes
    settled and complaints raised, opened always on a Thursday,
    the day dedicated to Thor.

The World Tree

The ash Yggdrasil, the world tree, was the universe axis. Nothing is reported about Yggdrasil's origins. It was inhabited by different animals: an omniscient eagle sat on its top, with a hawk, Vedrfolnir, between the eyes. An evil serpent Nidhogg, lay in Niflheim and gnawed at Yggdrasil's roots. Rattatosk, a squirrel scurried up and down the stem with insults between Nidhogg and the eagle. Four stags lived in its branches: Dain, Dvalin, Duneyr and Durathror. The tree was a source of life for the creatures that lived in and under it, but they diden't treat it well. Nidhogg and his serpent brood gnawed at its roots, and the deer ate the leaves and shoots. The squirrel bit into it, so its branches went out and rotted away. Thus, had the very thing that sustained and nourished the world, its sufferings. To counteract this the Norns, who lived at Urd's well, took daily water and some of the mud that lay on the well, and showered its branches with this mixture, which was so holy that everything that came into contact with it, became white, and protected the wood from rotting.

Themes

Fate
    Fate's immense power is felt throughout the Nordic mythology: fate is fixed and can not be avoided. Ragnarok - Armageddon - is inevitable. The individual's destiny was determined by the Norns, female creatures who visited each newborn child and gave it luck or accident. Changing happiness in the individual's life was that the good Norns provided good life while the evil bestowed accident. People looked at destiny in the eyes with stoic calm, humor a wide cheeky smile. Dead heroes were honored, resistance was cheerfully accepted, and meet death joyfully with a humorous remark was the most honorable of all.

Art

Detail from the picture on a tombstone.
    The warriors in the top range bear their sword with the
    tip downward. it suggesting that they are dead..
    Life after Death

There were several possibilities for an afterlife. Warriors, who were killed in battle, especially of spears, which were sacred to Odin came to Odin's great hall, Valhalla. A warrior's death was considered highly honorable and was something to strive for. A man who died at home and wanted to get to Valhalla instead of Hell, where those who died a normal death, came to, could arrange to be stabbed with a spear and 'marked for Odin' and thus secure the inclusion in Valhalla . Freya also received the fallen warriors. She rode out to battle in her cat-drawn wagon and took half of the fallen, while the other half went to Odin. Her warriors came to her hall, Sessrumnir (the place with many seats, tho that may be translated wrong, if anyone translates the sagas better do tell me otherwise). Dead women also went to Freya. In Egils saga a woman who was about to commit suicide, said that she will not eat or drink until she's dineing beside Freya. The goddess Gefion also received dead women and was responsible for all girls and women who died unmarried. Those who died of illness, accident or old age, went to Hel, the kingdom of the underworld (not to be confused with the Christian Hell), where Loki's daughter, also called Hel, ruled. The drowned were brought down in Aegis and Rans floor of the ocean floor.

Aesir

The god group Aesirs king was Odin, the great magician, god of war, death, kings, poetry and magic. Odin was a formidable person, not always to be trusted, and were more preoccupied with magical powers than by his subjects. His queen was the beautiful and graceful Frigg, who like him had the ability to see into the future. Thor, Asgard protects, was Odin's son and the god of thunder. He was always called in when the gods had problems with Jotun. With his irresistible hammer he saved them from many dangers. His role as the protector extended also to the humans: Thor could be trusted, and among humans he enjoyed great popularity. Balder, another son of Odin, is especially known from the myth of his death. Balder was the wisest, kindest, most beautiful and beloved among the gods - but was tragically killed by Loki's treachery. Tyr, god of war, was the bravest of the gods. Brage, skalds god Ull, god of hunting and archery, also belonged to the Aesir.

Myths

Balder's Death

Balder dreamed that his life was in danger, and it worried the gods much. Frigg deviced a plan to protect him. She got all the things in creation to take an oath not to harm him: fire, water, animals, birds, snakes, plants, rocks, trees, earth, metal, disease and poison. Aesir then found great amusement in throwing and shooting at Balder, because nothing could harm him, not even Thor's Hammer. When Loki saw it, he transformed himself into a woman and went to Frigg. He told her that the gods shot at Balder, but was not injured. Frigg said: "Neither weapons or wood will harm him, for they have all sworn to me."
    'Have all things sworn to spare Balder? " asked Loki. Frigg replied that there was a single plant, the mistletoe, which had seemed, too harmless to be charged an oath. Loki took the mistletoe and took it up. He went to the blind Hod, who stood for himself, Loki asked why he did not shoot at Balder, why he diden't join the fun. 'Cause I can not see where he is, "said Hod,' and besides I have no weapons."
    'I will help you to show Balder honor,' said Loki. 'I will show you where he stands, and then you can shoot at him with this stick. " Hod took the mistletoe and shot in the direction Loki showed him. The pin pierced Balder, and he fell down dead. When the gods saw Balder fall to the ground, they stood paralyzed and could not utter a word. They could only cry. Finally took Frigg word. She asked which of the gods truely had balls, who would ride to Hel, the underworld, to find Balder, and leave a offering for its mistress, who was also called Hel, she wished to ransom him out, So Balder could return to Asgard. Hermod, Balder's brother, came forward. Odin's horse Sleipnir was pulled forward, and Hermod rode away. Hermod rode until he came to Hel's gates. Inside he saw Balder sitting in pride of place. Hermod begged Hel to let Balder come back to Asgard and told about the gods great sorrow. Hel said that before she would release him, She would test their determination, if it was true Baldur was so beloved, as he said. 'If all things in the world is crying for him, then I will let him go, but if something or someone refuses to cry, I'll keep him. " Aesir sent messengers throughout the world that they was to cry Baldur out of Hell. Everything and everyone was crying - people and animals, soil, rocks, trees, all kinds of metal. On the way back the messengers met a Jotun Women, who called herself Thøkk. They begged her to weep Baldur out of Hel, but she refused: 'Thøkk will weep dry tears for Baldur. Let Hel keep what she has." So Balder was not released. The general and my opinion was that. Thøkk was Loki in disguise.

Art

Stone with incised face of Loki with his mouth sewn
    together..

Valhalla

Nobles and heroes, who died in battle, was believed to go to Odin's grand hall, Valhalla (the hall for the Fallen), where they were recorded among einherjar, Odin's personal army. They lived lavishly, partied and stayed until the end of the world where they would be called out to fight for Odin in the last great battle. Valhalla was a huge building with many doors. Its joists were made of spear shafts, and its roof thatched with shields. Every day einherjar donned their armor and fought against each other for fun. The fallen rose again in the evening and together they sat at table and ate, drank and enjoyed themselves. The warriors ate bacon from the goat Sæhrimnirwhich, each day was boiled in the pot Eldhrimnir by the chef Andrhimnir. Sæhrimnirs bacon would always suffice to saturate all Einherjer, no matter how many they were, and next morning it would be whole again, ready to get his bacon cooked again. Einherjar drank vast amounts of mead, which flowed from the goat Heidrun udder. Every day it filled a barrel high enough that all the Einherjer could get drunk.

Vanir

The Vanir were fertility gods, gods who lived with the Aesir. Njord, the god of the sea and its riches, guaranteed prosperity, good luck and catch at sea. He lived at Noatun (ship fold / port(Again if my translation is bad here people are welcome to correct me)) and was the father of the twins Freyr and Freya. The main god of fertility was Freyr, a bright, friendly and generous god. He helped the harvest by controlling the sun and rain. Marriage also had an occasion to call on Frey because he was responsible for human reproduction. Frey secure prosperity and peace. Around his shrines violence, weapons and bloodshed was taboo. Freya, the greatest goddess among the Vanir were more than a fertility goddess: she was also the goddess of love, an expert in magic and recipient of fallen, worthy warriors.

Themes

Valkyrie
    Valkyrie, Those who should fall in battle, were selected to Odin by the Valkyries. The name Valkyrie literally means 'Judge of the fallen', and these female creatures went to the battlefield to assign victory after Odin's will and lead the fallen to Valhalla. They also waited on the slain in Valhalla with food and drink. In poetic sources the Valkyries are described as women on horseback dressed in armor, and that is the popular view.

Myths

Thor captures the Midgard serpent

Thor's special opponent was Jormangand the monster, the Midgard Serpent or World snake, which was liveing on the bottom of the sea and stretched around the globe. Once upon a time, Thor took the guise of a young man and got lodgings for the night at an Jotun called Hymir. Since Hymir decided next day he wanted to go fishing, he asked Thor to join. Hymir made fun of Thor and said that he was unfit for anything, so young and small he was. Thor replied that he would hardly be the one who would first touch the shore again and was about to crush Hymir's head with his hammer, but it occurred to him that perhaps he could use his strength to something much more useful. Instead he asked Hymir what he would use for bait. "Secure your own bait" said Hymir which made Thor tear the head of the biggest bull in Hymir's flock.
    Thor grabbed the oars and Hymir noted that Thor was great at rowing and that he could easily relax while he did the rowing. When they reached the giant's usual fishing ground, Thor voiced that he would want to be farther out. A little later the Jotun warned that they were now so far out that it could be dangerous because of the Midgard Serpent. Thor replied that he wanted to continue, and did it, for he was much stronger tha Hymir. Hymir was not a happy panda about that. When Thor finally laid down the oars, he bound the ox head at the end of the line and threw it out. Deep in the sea the worms giant teeth closed together around the bait. Inside was an hook that burrowed itself deep into the Worm. The worm wriggled violently around. At the other end of the line, Thor assembled all his streangth. He pulled so hard that both his feet went through the boat, so he stood on the seabed. He pulled the serpent up to the railing, but when Hymir saw it, he was so afraid that he, just as Thor wanted crush its head with his hammer, cut the line over. The worm sank back into the sea, and Thor threw his hammer after it. He was furious that Hymir had taken from him hes catch and threw him overboard. That was the end of Hymir and Thor waded into the shore, being the first to reach the coast after all..

Hobbes
    The latest fresh face on The Helios's team of writers is Hobbes, and he's gone all the way in producing an excellent article for you to read. When he contacted me asking whether he could write an article, I said that if he could have it done in a week, it would make this edition, but I neglected to tell him how long the article should be. Sure enough, a week later Hobbes contacted me saying he had a 3,500 word article and asked if it would be enough. It's more than enough, and it's had to be chopped in half so here's the first part for you. For those of you who know nothing about rock operas (such as me), you'll love this.

A Guide to Rock Operas: Part 1

Introduction

The purpose of this article is to present and analyze rock operas as well as giving examples of the most important ones.
    A rock opera could be defined as a genre of music. However, I believe that due to developments in rock music, and the vast musical differences between the artists that have created rock operas, the term genre is obsolete. In fact there have been metal, folk and rap artist who have tried to experiment with this kind of artistic expression, thus an appropriate term would be "formula". While the instruments, the approach and the overall style may change, rock operas are always characterized by some sort of narrative that they are trying to convey to the listener. Many of them feature quasi-utopian societies, spiritual quests and various characters. Overall they resemble the well known operas of the past centuries, however they appeal to a younger, pop culture oriented audience. The rock opera has been omnipresent in the musical world since its creation, which happened in the late 60s, as a result of the popular music boom that occured during the said decade.

When dealing with rock operas, one should always remember that they are not conventional albums. They are much more organic, and in many cases some of the songs can't be fully understood without having the whole album in mind. They are different from concept albums, because these are far mor abstract.

But when did this all start?

No one knows. The idea could have existed for years only it was never realized, but most people would agree that the first full realisation of the concept was S.F. Sorrow by the Pretty things, an album that was both experimental and able to please the psychedelia hungry teens of 1968. It is very different from what would follow, as the lyrics do not serve the narrative; the narrative is instead explained through text, which can be found in the liner notes of the album. It may not do directness much good, as the listener not only has to listen to the admirably complex music of the album but also read. The music is a nice mix of psychedelia and folk, something that definately contributed to the album's appeal. There are many good songs in the album, such as "Old Man Going" and "Defecting Grey", that really stand out. Unfortunately, despite the good musicianship, the story is very weak, not to mention that it has to be read making the weakness more obvious. However "S.F. Sorrow" was a good psychedelic album, and a brave attempt to do something that had never been done before.

The next year would be a very important one for our formula, as the monolith of rock operas was created.

Enter Tommy

Tommy was a unique endeavour: It involved innovative ideas, and few people could say whether this experiment would work. Luckily Pete Townshend, the guitarist and mastermind behind The Who's indisputable success, and their producer, were among those who believed in it. Tommy -named after the protagonist- tells the story of a "deaf, dumb and blind kid", his ascension to a messiah-like status and his fall. Tommy (and the film based on the album) managed to start a rock opera craze, with many artists attempting to emulate its style and use it as a foundation for their own attempts.

The fisrt track, called "Overture" leaves little doubt about whether Townshend wanted to create an opera or not. Wikipedia defines an overture as " the instrumental introduction to a dramatic, choral or, occasionally, instrumental composition". This one is a very emotional and powerful instrumental (with a few words at the end). Just like the other rock operas by The Who, many segments of this instrumental will appear throughout the album. An awkwardly placed "song" (lasting no longer than 40 seconds) introduces the character. Such songs appear many times in the album; their purpose is obviously to facilitate story telling but their value as songs alone is almost non existant. However rock opers should not be treated as conventional rock albums: They are unique, single entities, so judging them only by the amount of good songs in them could lead to a negative conclusion far from reality. After this small track the album picks up with some excellent pieces with a dramatic peak in the end, represented in the 10 minute instrumental "Underture". All those eight songs are very solid creations, and reflect their times perfectly. This is another characteristic of many rock operas and conventional ones alike: They are not mere artistic creations that exist only to satisfy the inflated egos of a posh artistic audience, they are mirrors of their times. The specific mirror is a bizarre one, but that's the 60s the era of the hippies, LSD and the social revolution. The "Amazing Journey" (talking about musical dreams and mysterious figures), "The Acid Queen" and the beautiful "Sparks" capture the essence of the psychedelic era. The interest in the blues is also represented with a cover of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Eyesight to the Blind". There is little psychedelia in the album after that; the album is British rock at its finest, most sensitive (and at times quite powerful) moments. Roger Daltrety manages to interpete most songs in a way that respects Townshend's intentions, but he comes off a bit too agressive at times. The rest of the opera features the notable "Go to the Mirror" and the ingenious "Pinball Wizard", the well known 60s hit. There other gems in there, including the piano driven "Sally Simpson" and "Welcome". However nothing can match the dramatic effect of the sad and anthemic "We're Not Gonna Take It", a song that bears the whole message of this opera. It's clear with this, that the 60s craze is beginning to fade away, and even that the "heroes of the revolution" are starting to question their role and wonder about the future. Tommy was probably one of the most important and groundbreaking masterpieces of its time, both embracing and criticizing the social and spiritual revolution. The whole album leaves us with a bitter aftertaste. Could our search for identity and spirituality lead us to problems? But above all, can we, humanity as a whole, change? These questions were so relevant at the time, and even now, so it is no wonder why it bacame such a successful, influential album and the anthem of a generation.

grouchy13
    Grouchy has established himself as our resident ancient history writer, and like Hobbes, he has really excelled himself in writing his articles. I have the pleasure to present to you just part one of what will be a 4-part series on the Great Athenian Siege of Syracuse. The depth and scholarship of this article is simply astounding, so please... read on.

Democracy Humbled - The Great Athenian Siege of Syracuse (415-413BC)
    Part 1-Background & Build up to the Campaign

Introduction

The Bay of Pigs, the Battle of the Somme, Napoleons Campaign of 1812, Hattin and Cannae all resonate throughout history as great military disasters but one campaign that preceded all these dark episodes stands out as an example of what disasters can befall men and nations when their plans and ambitions meet with arrogance and poor execution, namely that of the Ancient Greek Polis of Athens and it’s ill fated siege of Syracuse. What was this Campaign, who were the men that formulated it's disastrous undertaking and what were the events that saw one of the greatest powers in all of Ancient Greece involve itself in one of the greatest Military expeditions ever undertaken that subsequently met with such unmitigated misfortune.

The toxic inter Polis Politics of the numerous City States of the Greek Mainland and that of the Greek Polis on the Island of Sicily were to be the foundations of the Campaign. During the Great Peloponnesian War Athens had fought for the Hegemony of all Hellas with it’s erstwhile rival and fellow superpower Sparta, this conflict was not only a meeting head on of opposing ideologies but also a defining era in the subsequent development of political systems throughout the Greek World. Up to the point prior to Athenian expedition to Sicily Athens and Sparta had fought for 17 years, the tide of war had ebbed and flowed between the two super powers of the day but the years previous had seen them fight to an inconclusive stalemate, what followed was an unsatisfactory peace installed known as the peace of Nicias, after a leading Athenian Statesmen of the period who would play a large role in the subsequent disaster. The peace was kept in name only and many of the conditions that formulated the agreement were ignored as promises were not met and in some cases fighting, if small on a smaller scale continued. However the lull in the fighting and events outside the immediate theatre of the war would lead the Athenians to look at Sicily as a viable and important new front for their forces to operate in, for Sicily was renowned for it’s fertile lands and many of the Greek Colonies that had established themselves there had amassed great wealth, in part due to the export of wheat to the Greek mainland. This wealth and the belief that the Greek Sicilians were divided and weak from incessant inter Polis Warfare led the Athenians to believe they could intervene in localised Sicilian conflicts and establish themselves there as they had established themselves as masters of the Aegean. The Athenians first tentative moves in Sicily involved supporting their fellow Ionian City Leontini in what was known as the Leontine War in 427BC, The war involved a relatively small Athenian expedition that came to blows with the Syracusans at land and at Sea. The Athenians were able to achieve very little however, despite winning Naval dominance of the straights of Messina and inciting a few of the Native Sicel cities under Syracusan control to rebel Syracuse was able to hold on to their Hegemony while many of Athens Sicilian allies tired of war sought to make terms and peace was established in 424BC. More importantly the Athenians had established a series of alliances with various Polis situated throughout Sicily, namely the city of Segesta.

The Island Of Sicily and the spread of the Greek cities, Initially on the Eastern seaboard they spread across the Island pushing the Native Sicels into the centre and the Punic colonists of Carthage to the Western extremities by the time of the Athenian expedition.

Decision for Action

In 416/5BC the Sicilian Polis of Segesta was fighting one such localised War with it’s neighbour Selinus both situated in the West of the Island, while this Inter Polis conflict differed very little from the many conflicts that raged seasonally between the hundreds of Polis throughout the Greek world this one was set apart following Selinus alliance with the Syracusans, Syracuse a large Powerful Polis had ambitions on becoming Hegemon of all the Greek Polis situated in Sicily. With assistance from Syracuse the war had begun to turn in favour of Selinus and being hard pressed and fearful of being overrun by their enemies the Segestans sent an delagation to seek assistance from the great power of Athens.

In 424BC the long and fierce Inter Polis warfare between the city states of Sicily had seen many of the participants seek outside assistance to gain an advantage over their rivals, a peace congress held between the warring parties became a platform for the Syracusan statesmen Hermocrates to propose a doctrine of isolationism and for the Sicilian Polis to reject outside assistance in their various conflicts thus closing the door on the tentative expeditions the Athenians had as yet carried to Sicily, The Syracusans motives behind this Pan-Sicilian message were that as the largest and most powerful Polis on the Island they had the most to lose from their powerful foriegn neighbours such as the Carthaginians of north Africa, the Etruscans in Italy and more importantly the Athenians becoming involved and established in the area. The Athenian fears that a Syracuse unchecked and without any real threats to it’s dominance from outside powers that would therefore attack it’s weaker neighbours and come to dominate the island were realised following the acceptance and ratification of Hermocrates Pan Sicilian proposal by the various city states involved in the fighting and the Syracusans subsequent involvement in a Civil War taking place in Leontini. The Segestans plan to bring Athens into their own war involved playing on the Syracusans Dorian heritage, many of the Greek Polis were divided on Ethnic lines either that of Dorian or Ionian lineage, what made this so important was that while Athens and many of it’s subjects/allies were of Ionian descent the Peloponnesian League under Spartan Hegemony were primarily of Dorian heritage, The Segestans played on these ethnic divisions and the fear that should Syracuse become the dominant power in Sicily that there was a real danger of them coming to assistance of their Dorian Kinsmen, this climate of ethnic tension was further reinforced following the Syrcusans attack on the Ionian Leotinians during the Leontine War. These arguments that played on Athenian fears and prejudices were coupled with Athens own strategic and imperial desires, that of seeing Sicily as an attractive area for expansion following the assessments of Athenian Citizens who had been involved in previous expeditions to the Island during the Leontine War and the many Athenian Merchants who had partaken in the lucrative maritime trade in the region. The Athenians also believed that by taking control of Sicily they could harm their Peloponnesian rivals economically as Syracuse was a major player in the Grain export business, also by eliminating the Syracusans militarily they could limit the risk of a Syracusan dominated Sicily throwing it’s weight behind the Peloponnesian league and greatly add to their own wealth and prestige.

The most potent symbol of Athenian power, The trireme that projected their strength across the Aegean and helped build their great Empire, This reproduction is now the pride of the Modern Greek Navy.

Segesta’s deception & the Assemblies debate

To reinforce their argument the Segestans carried out an elaborate deception in where the Athenian ambassadors sent to pertain the Segestans wealth and the political situation of the conflict were presented with an itinerary where many fine banquets were held in there honour with large amounts of silverware on display, all this however was a spectacular ruse with the Segestans borrowing many of these fine items from other Polis to dazzle their Athenian guests, to further reinforce the image that their city had great wealth to support an Athenian campaign they presented the Athenians with 60 talents in coined silver. Upon receipt of this currency and with their reports of the Segestans great wealth and the current situation in the conflict with Selinus the Athenian delegation returned to report their findings to the Athenian Assembly.

Before any decision could be made in relation to Segesta’s request for Athenian assistance the nature of the Athenian Democracy required that the matter be brought before the great Athenian Assembly. At this time the nature of the Athenian Demos (People) politics was formed around two opposing public figures, that of Nicias and one of the most controversial figures in all Ancient Greek History, Alcibiades. Nicias spearheaded the more conservative elements of the Demos, he was the main architect of the peace that bore his name and was renowned for his great piety, He had experience in Military command but was fundamentally opposed to any continuation of the War, preferring a return to the status quo enjoyed between Sparta and Athens prior to the Peloponnesian War, his faction was also opposed from the onset to supporting the Segestans or a greater Sicilian Campaign. Alcibiades however was a young, ambitious political entity. He spearheaded a faction that favoured an aggresive policy towards Sparta, He had negotiated an alliance with Sparta’s ancient Peloponnesian rival Argos, an alliance that culminated with the great battle of Mantinea in 418BC. While the battle was a defeat for the Athenian/Argive alliance the actual amount of men and material utilized in the campaign by the Athenians was of very small number, this campaign had kept the Spartans sufficiently busy that their annual incursion into Attica was limited, therefore despite the defeat the campaign actually had been of some strategic value. This had all added to Alcibiades prestige, however his lavish lifestyle and the rumours of his more nefarious activities meant he had many political enemies. Alcibiades saw the Segestans request for assistance as a great opportunity for himself and his city and was pivotal in fostering support amongst the Athenians for the Campaign. His popularity and the exuberance of the Athenian Demos at this time led the assembly to agree to support the Segestans with a fleet of 60 ships, however while the logical choice to lead this campaign would have been Alcibiades in sole command, his enemies in the Assembly moved for a motion that he be joined in leadership of the expedition than by non other than Nicias, believing the steady hand of Nicias would be able to rein in the more tempestuous nature of Alcibiades. This can be seen as the Athenians first strategical error by appointing two generals who disagreed not only on the conduct of the war in general but also had conflicting emotions over a Sicilian campaign. This highlights one of the flaws of the Athenian Democracy and its practice of it’s leading political figures also being chosen for the Military Command of expeditions, in recognition of this impossible situation the Assembly also moved to give the expedition a third general, the experienced Lamaches. While this may appear to further complicate the leadership issue the Athenians believed that Lamaches could be a bridge between Alcibiades and Nicias, he also could be counted on to support the expeditions purpose while being open to the conservative advice of Nicias.

Nicias Deception

With the assemblies decision to support the Segestans the assembly dissolved and made plans to reconvene to discuss the final arrangements for the upcoming campaign. The actual commitment as it stood at this point was limited to just 60 Warships, considering the Athenian fleet comprised nearly 300 meant that should the expedition fail, while being unfortunate it would not be disastrous to the overall war effort and with the Spartans and their allies in the Peloponnesian league being unable to field anywhere near that number of Warships meant the actual risk involved should these vessels be lost the threat to Athens survival would be unfortunate but minimal. At the following meeting of the Assembly many present settled to discuss the final details, as those gathered around the Pynx the hill in Athens where the Assembly gathered Nicias, the main opponent to a Sicilian Campaign rose not to discuss the preparation of the campaign but to force the Assembly to reconsider it’s original decision. As he spoke Nicias reminded the Athenians that the situation at home was not secure enough to begin campaigning abroad, That the peace that bore his own name was unsatisfactory and far from secure with many of the Spartans allies rejecting it outright, this is surprising and shows the depth of Nicias feelings that he would openly criticize his former policies and achievements to attempt to sway the Athenians from embarking on the expedition. Echoing Pericles original war Strategy Nicias said the Athenians should not embark on building their Empire while the Empire they possessed was not yet secure. He then moved on to claim the reality of the situation in Siciliy was very different than that painted by those who favoured the campaign, that Sicily was surrounded by powerful neighbours such as the Carthaginians, who while greater in power than Athens had not been able to conquer the Island. He then extraordinary claimed that a Sicily ruled by Syracuse would be less dangerous than a divided one, he stated that an Empire is less likely to attack an other Empire and that the belief that an unchecked Syracuse would support their Dorian kinsmen in the War against Athens was unfounded. Finally he directed an attack on the main architect of the Sicilian Campaign and his chief political adversary Alcibiades,

The notorious Alcbiades one of Ancient Greece's most intriguing characters, he would lead the faction most eager to carry out the Sicilian Expedition however his purported involvement in the great Sacrilege would cast a long dark shadow on subsequent events.

He said Alcibiades represented the ambitious younger generation who brought great dangers upon the state for their own personal glory and criticised his rivals lavish lifestyle and lawless self-indulgence. As he brought his address to a close the atmosphere in the Assembly must have been electric, at this juncture Alcibiades retorted to Nicias assault, he defended his reputation highlighting that his past endeavours had brought little risk to Athens but had won them considerable gains. He highlighted that the risks involved in the upcoming Campaign were small, that Sicily was wrought with division and that through Diplomacy they could take advantage of this situation and win over cities who opposed Syracuse, not to mention the local population of Barbarian Sicels to support them. Alcibiades highlighted the importance of supporting allies, and that the Athenian Empire had been forged from Athens continued support of it’s allies, changing this tradition would harm their prestige. Finally he proposed that what made the Athenian Empire so great and what put them ahead of their rivals was their active nature, their willingness to embark on such expeditions and to take the risks that others were not prepared too, by becoming passive they would dull the very skills that had made them so great and powerful city.
    Alcibiades powerful rhetoric and strong arguments had increased the Athenians desire to continue with their planning of their expedition, Nicias sensing he had been out manoeuvred by his rival and seeing the Athenians growing eagerness for the Campaign abandoned his arguments and attempted to change their minds by exaggerating the size of the force required and thus dull the Athenians appetite for the Campaign by claiming a much larger force would be required to bring success. Nicias attacked Alcibiades image of a Sicily wrought with division, He claimed that the Islands great wealth would make it a formidable opponent, that is had the advantage of fighting on home ground, with easier access to men and supplies while the Athenians would be required to depend on it’s Sicilian allies for replenishment or be forced to transport them the great distance from Athens, A journey that took at least four months during the Winter months. Nicias claimed that the renowned Syracusan Cavalry could easily pin the small expedition on the beach preventing the crews from foraging and would be able to attack and withdraw at ease. The force required would require an increase in not only the amount of Warships but also supply ships, the deployment of large numbers of Hoplites and light infantry and more importantly money as Nicias insinuated quite adeptly that the Segestans promise to finance the campaign could not be trusted. Even if such measures were taken victory would not be easy, only though careful planning and preparation could such a large undertaking be attempted when attacking such a distant land. In conclusion Nicias offered to secede his command should there be those who believed his assessment to be false or inadequate, In this way Nicias no doubt hoped either to sway the Assemblies sentiments to abandon the planned expedition or at least give him the opportunity to resign his command without recrimination or dishonour. Perhaps he believed his reputation as a Pious, experienced statesmen would add credence to his claims that the campaign was a foolish endeavour, fatefully however he was wrong on all counts for far from being daunted those present became even more eager and his deception spectacularly backfired with the Assembly believing that Nicias advice was sound the Assembly far from deciding to abandon the campaign proposed to increase the size of the expedition to meet the risks Nicias grim assessment of the situation had highlighted. At this point Demostratus another leading political figure rose, he addressed Nicias directly in front of the Assembly and asked precisely how large a force would be required, embarrassed and forced to reply Nicias responded for by not doing would have been political suicide, he concluded that the force to stand any chance of success should include 100 Warships, 5000 Hoplites and a proportional number of light troops. In a spectacular oversight and no doubt due to his being caught off guard by the fast moving debate Nicias did not recommend the inclusion of cavalry force, an inconceivable oversight considering that by his own account one of Syracuses great strengths was it’s ability to field large amounts of well trained cavalry. Nicias therefore can be blamed for taking a small expedition with limited strategical goals and manageable risk to Athens and by his ill conceived deception into a massive military commitment that if unsuccessful would no doubt spell disaster for the Polis, which is even more astounding considering his opposition from the very first to any form of Sicilian Campaign, The growing imperial ambition of the Athenians meant an expedition to Sicily was inevitable however without his intervention and following deception they wouldn’t have committed themselves to such a disastrous endeavour.

Preparation and the great sacrilege

In the spring of 415BC the Athenians prepared their expedition with great enthusiasm, the ships yards of the Piraeus resounded with the sounds of the fleet being fit out, many of the ships were adorned with great finery as the Captains attempted to out do each other in beautifying their vessels while the smiths of Attica forged the weapons the great Athenian host would wield in battle. The Athenians believed that such a great force could come to no harm, and that they would easily overwhelm the Sicilians with the size and majesty of their force. While the majority of Athenians were caught up in the preparation of the expedition there were still those who opposed it, namely a number of priests who warned against the undertaking highlighting a series of ill omens. In response to these bad tidings Alcibiades and his supporters produced other omens and produced oracles that foresaw a great victory for the Athenians. However one morning in the summer of 415BC the Athenians awoke to find a great sacrilege had occurred across the city. Situated throughout the city were a large number of statues dedicated to the patron god of travellers Hermes known as Hermae,

These Hermae were sculpted with a likeness of Hermes face and a distinctive erect Phallus at the base. Through the night over a large area of the city the faces of these statues were smashed and the phallus were hacked off, With the upcoming departure of the expedition the sacrilege of so many statues dedicated to the God of travellers was considered a very ill omen by the superstitious Athenians, while the sheer scale of the desecration over such a large area meant that act was not the work of a small number of drunken vandals but a was premeditated act carried out by a large number of well organised men with a possible political moitive. The Athenians suspected it was the action of those who were opposed to the Democratic government, The assembly acted immediately offering rewards for information and immunity for those who could shine light on the great sacrilege. As the investigation commenced the Athenian assembly gathered to discuss the final preparations a man known as Pythonicus began to address the assembly, instead of discussing the expedition he instead accused Alcibiades and his aristocratic friends of carrying out a parody of a religious ritual, while not related to the terrible mutilation of the Hermae the recent outrage had aroused great suspicion that there were those who sought to overthrow the Democracy, the implication that Alcibiades and his clique of aristocratic companions had carried out a sacrilegious ritual around the time of the mutilations and the suspicion many held of the secret opposition by the aristocracy to the Democracy sensationalised Athens. Alcibiades political rivals seized on the opportunity, bringing charges against Alcibiades in connection with the private ritual carried out with his friends and the mutations of the Hermae, Finally his reputation as man with dark and sinister habits began to work against him. Alcibiades vehemently denied the charges and offered to stand trial immediately, knowing he still held the support of the Army and the Navy and that the assembly would find it difficult to find him guilty while he was surrounded by his supporters. His enemies however wished to continue the trial in his absence with little opposition from his supporters while they campaigned far from Athens, they rebuked his request “let him sail off now with good luck, when the war is over let him come back and defend himself. The laws will be the same as now”. The assembly voted that Alcibiades should be allowed to lead the expedition as before however the expeditions architect now faced a trial upon his return to Athens on completion of the campaign that could very well lead either to his exile or even death should he be found guilty, a verdict that may be full blown conclusion should he fail to subdue Sicily. At the end of June the great armada amassed in the Piruaes 134 Triremes 60 Athenian the others made up by allies, A mass of troops ships to carry 5100 Hoplites 1500 of these being Athenian Citizens along with 1300 lightly armed troops and a further 700 Citizens to serve as Marines on board the many ships, The Argives and Mantineans joined the Athenians. Only one horse transport carried a pitiful 30 men and horses, the sole Cavalry arm taken to face Syracuse renowned horsemen. Another 30 ships carried the supplies required for such a far reaching expedition and the tradesmen who were so critical to ancient Warfare the bakers, carpenters, stonemasons and priests who would make up the Athenian camp. The fleet resplendent in it’s finery was a dazzling display of the Naval power of Athens, never had such a spectacle been witnessed by the Athenians or their amazed allies as the fleet departed it rowed away like some great regatta, not the greatest military undertaking carried by their City and it’s fledgeling Empire.

In Part 2 the expedition begins it’s passage to Sicily, the Athenians find the reality of the situation is far from what they were expecting, The subsequent trial of Alcibiades leads to a spectacular defection and Athens and Syracuse come to blows in the first engagements of this great Campaign.

rez
    Can a games franchise really continue to be successful with their 3rd title? Call of Duty certainly did it, as have Total War. Here, rez examines whether 3 really is the magic number when it comes to computer games.

The Magic Number...
    I sat down in sunny Sacramento today with a large cup of coffee, a small dog sitting in my lap and the GTA 3 soundtrack streaming through my phone. My intention was to write an article about how the current and upcoming videogame releases were every bit as good as they were ten years ago. But as I listened to Chatterbox and made a shortlist of games I was looking forward to, I realised that they were almost all the third games in their franchise (or at least styled themselves as such).

Deus Ex 3, Mass Effect 3, Gears of War 3, Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, Max Payne 3, Diablo 3, Far Cry 3, The Old Republic, Uncharted 3, The Last Guardian and rumours of Dawn of War 3 were all on my mind. Granted The Last Guardian is technically using new characters and environments but the game is proclaiming its playstyle to be an intentional amalgamation of the previous two Team Iko releases. Even the very soundtrack I was listening to came from a 'Big 3' title. But is 3 really the magic number? One could say that a franchise capable of making it to their third release has clearly worked up enough support and cash to produce a high quality game and with it being their third attempt one could also assume that they would have ironed out most of the gameplay issues by then. But that logic kind of seems like it should hold true for pretty much any form of media franchise that makes it to its third iteration. I think we can all put together a quick list of terrible third movies that all start with 'Terminator 3' at the very top but then again the cinema industry has never had the sort of relationship with its fans that the videogame industry has been blessed with. We might complain here and there when we get a new title with the same old issues but by and large we should feel pretty good about the level of customer interaction and feedback that games companies value when compared with pretty much any other form of media. But hey, it can always be better.

Looking back Sonic 3, Halo 3, Rome: Total War, GTA3, Resident Evil 3, Fallout 3, Tomb Raider 3, Super Mario 3, Duke Nukem 3D, Metal Gear Solid and Dynasty Warriors 3 were all top of the line heroes in the gaming industry. Yes even Dynasty Warriors. But is that always the case? Is your third game always slated to be a success? I can fairly confidently say that Half-Life 3, Portal 3, and Left 4 Dead 3 will sell faster than it takes me to apologise in the bedroom. But they're all Valve games so there's nothing new there...

I spent the time I was writing the above sections trying to think of some terrible third title releases but I've drawn something of a blank. Prince of Persia 3D jumped out at me (Pun intended) but I think its kind of unfair to too harshly criticise the first games that attempt to cross the boundary into fully 3d universes as at the time it was a massive leap (un-intended) for a developer to make. There are a fair few average third games that just kind of sagged on the shelves but I can only remember two that really disappointed me as much as that train set I never got for my 6th birthday.

First up was Driver 3; the poorly conceived attempt to re-energise the franchise and compete with the Grand Theft Auto series led the developers to allow the player character out of his car and into a much more open and adaptable game world. It sounded like a great idea on paper but the brazen attempt to contend in the same arena as GTA was only half-hearted and the game lost its niche appeal as a stylish, crime based driving game and instead became a poor man's GTA knock off. The second of the commercial flops that seriously let down their franchise was Way of the Samurai 3. This was something of a sore wound for me as I absolutely adored the first two titles and heartily recommend them to anyone who still has the sentimentality to play a PS2. I still enjoy WotS3 but the reason it was received so badly outside of Japan was that the developers were still stuck in the PS2 era of graphics and gameplay and had not done enough to modernise their franchise. People expect a big jump in playability when a series moves from one generation of console to the next but WotS3 might as well have been released on the PS2.

There are plenty more disappointing third titles out there, I'm sure, and feel free to post your great videogame laments in the comments section for me to peruse. But at the end of the day we still have a great deal of fantastic number three's sitting on our shelves. Its no coincidence that in an industry where developers like Taleworlds can create games like Mount & Blade almost in co-operation with the modding community; that loyal teams with loyal fans and a true passion for their work will turn out better and better titles. That being said, there is always the danger of a company aiming far too high and instead ruining their reputation. Worse still are the cases where developers fracture and perhaps the wrong person is left with the rights to develop the franchise along their own personal vision for the future. The terrible trouble that the Fallout series went through before Bethesda bought up the rights and saved the day with Fallout 3 is a testament to the very real danger of creative differences. Fortunately, as I listed in the opening, the future is looking damned bright for the game industry at the moment. The FPS junkies will be satisfied and enraged in equal measure with each faction vying to place either Modern Warfare 3, Gears of War 3 or Battlefield 3 on the top of the military podium. The story based thriller fans will have their hands full with Mass Effect 3, Deus Ex 3 and Uncharted 3 all safely on their way to our living rooms. And the various assortment of niche and sandbox types will no doubt be amazed by the ingenuity of games like The Last Guardian, Far Cry 3 and The Old Republic.

Sure we won't go out and exercise much, sure we won't enjoy the beautiful sunshine, sure we won't attend many social events, sure we won't talk to many girls, sure we won't get much work done, sure we won't get around to fixing that fence in the garden, sure we might forget to shave, sure we might wear the same clothes two days in a row, sure we might eat only from the microwave and sure we might not gain the respect of our peers. But damn it...

... If we don't play each and every one of the major releases all the way through and hit up a couple of the independent titles on the way then how are we going to analyse each game in excruciating detail and decide which ones were the best and which ones deserve ridicule? Who I ask you?!

Thankfully that doomsday scenario ought never to happen as long as we're around.

Manuel I Komnenos
    Another new writer for The Helios for you, and he has chosen the tried and tested subject of history, specifically Byzantine history, a period about which I know woefully little, except that nowadays the adjective "Byzantine" means full of scheming and intrigue, and from what little I know, the epithet isn't far wrong. Here Manuel writes about the consequences of the famous 4th Crusade, which Venice contrived to have diverted against their rival Byzantium with brutal consequences.

Theodore Komnenos Dukas and the race for the conquest of Constantinople (1215-1230)
    The consequences of the 4th Crusade and the creation of the Despotate of Epirus

The 4th Crusade was a hard blow for the already declined Roman Empire which begun falling apart, shortly after the fall of Constantinople, its religious, cultural and administrative center. A dark and unknown future was awaiting the inhabitants of the areas of the former Empire as the crusaders were marching unstoppable towards every corner and the local lords were unable to provide any serious resistance. The Roman Empire in fact, had been theoretically divided as early as of March 1204, one month before the Fall of Constantinople, with a treaty known as ‘Partitio terrarium imperii Romaniae’, between the Venetians and the Crusaders. With the coronation of Baldwin of Flanders as Emperor, in May 1204 the Latin Empire of Constantinople was born. Boniface of Montferrat, theoretically the leader of the crusade was handed the title of King, of a large state in Macedonia, with its capital in Thessalonica. In the meantime, a great deal of small duchies and principalities were created in the Greek mainland. Each of the nobles though, had to gain the lands attributed to him by force, as the local Byzantine lords were still resisting. In most of these areas the resistance they faced was weak. However, in Nicaea, Epirus and Trebizond, three states were created and they eventually came to be the strongholds of the Orthodox Greeks against the marching until then crusaders. Soon, Nicaea and Epirus began a race for the recapture of Constantinople.

After the fall of Constantinople, Michael Komnenos Dukas (son of sevastokrator John Dukas, grandson of Alexius I Komnenos) had placed himself under the command of Boniface of Montferrat. Soon though, he found refuge in northwestern Greece, where he rallied the local resistance against the crusaders. There, he created the state of Epirus, which, according to the treaty for the division of the Byzantine Empire had been handed to the Venetians. In the beginning, he acknowledged the Venetian supervision with a treaty, signed in 1210 but his intentions changed shortly afterwards. Exploiting the geographical isolation of Epirus and thanks to his diplomatic and military abilities, he managed not only to secure the existence of his state, but also to expand his dominion. Until 1215, he had completed the conquests of Thessaly from the crusaders, of Dyrrachium and Kerkyra (Corfu) from the Venetians and of Scodra from the Serbs. Even the Latin Kingdom of Thessalonica was threatened.

The rise of Theodore Komnenos Dukas and his first military successes.

The death of Michael in 1215 –he was murdered in Veration by a servant while sleeping- did not cause instability problems. He was succeeded by his brother, Theodore Komnenos Dukas. Not much is known about his past. It seems that just before the Fall of Constantinople he placed himself under the command of Theodore I Laskaris and accompanied him in Asia Minor. There, he helped Theodore strengthen his power in the first years of the Empire of Nicaea, when its very existence was in risk. Soon, he was called by his brother to come to Epirus and Theodore of Nicaea gave his permission. There, he was ordered to defend the last remaining Byzantine lands in Peloponnese. The pressure of Geoffrey of Villehardouin and Otto de la Roche though was too hard and in 1212, Theodore was forced to surrender them the fortresses of Acrocorinth, Nafplion and Argos.

From 1215 and on, the new powerful man of Epirus continued his predecessor's work in the best way. His first aim was to recapture the second most populous city of the former Byzantine Empire, Thessalonica. From a strategic point of view he was planning to encircle the Lombard Kingdom, before he tried to siege the city which was protected by a large wall. With a quick campaign, he managed to conquer several cities and forts of strategic importance such as Ochrid, Pelagonia and Prilep, which belonged to the Second Bulgarian Empire.

After Henry's death in 1216, the barons elected as emperor his brother-in-law, Peter de Courtenay, who had married Yolande, the sister of Baldwin and Henry. At the time of his election he was with his wife in France. Having received the news of the election, he set out with her for Constantinople by way of Rome, where Pope Honorius III crowned Peter with the imperial crown. The ceremony was not held in St. Peter’s, where the Western Emperors, beginning with Charlemagne and Otto I, had been crowned, but in San Lorenzo Fuori le Mura, wishing to emphasize the fact that the Empire of Romania in the East was not the Empire of Rome in the West. It was a clear indication of the lesser prestige held by the Latin Emperor of Constantinople, compared to the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.

From Italy Peter sent his wife, Yolande, by sea to Constantinople; he and his troops, numbering 160 knights and 5500 infantry, sailed across the Adriatic and landed near Dyrrachium, hoping to reach the capital by land. In order to confront this threat, Theodore used contingents of light infantry. He ambushed Peter in the mountains between Dyrrachium and Ochrid, defeated him and captured him. The sources are not clear about Peter’s future. He probably died in Byzantine captivity. Meanwhile, the widow of Peter, Yolande, who had reached Constantinople, governed the Empire for the two years before her death (1217-19). The death of Peter de Courtenay must be regarded as the first attack of the Despotate of Epirus, that is to say, of the western Hellenic center, upon the Latin newcomers to the Balkan Peninsula. Latin sources used the news of Peter’s death as a good justification to point out the brutal and uncivilized nature of the new Epirote Despot. However, the involvement of Theodore in Peter’s death is not only unproven but doubtful as well. The Epirote Despot could have used the captured Latin Emperor as a means of diplomatic pressure towards the West and the Latin Empire or he could have asked for a large ransom that the West could have definitely afforded. Whatever the cause of Peter’s death, Theodore preceded with his plans.

The conquest of Thessalonica

He then turned his attention to the North, towards the Latin Kingdom of Thessalonica whose King, Boniface of Montferrat, had been killed in 1207 in a battle against the Bulgarians. After his death, troubles and strife raged in the kingdom. As long as the energetic Latin Emperor, Henry, was alive, he could defend Thessalonica against its two most menacing foes, Bulgaria and Epirus. But after the death of Henry and of the new Latin Emperor, Peter de Courtenay, the Kingdom of Thessalonica was unable to resist the aggressive policy of Theodore of Epirus. By 1223 the encirclement of the city was complete and the fall of the city to the Epirotes was a matter of time. The siege of Thessalonica was thus started with the best odds. The only reinforcements for the city came in the form of a small unit which arrived from the sea. The “crusade” which Pope Honorius had declared was delayed.

In December of 1224, the garrison of Thessalonica was forced to surrender, after two years of siege, which could have been avoided if Theodore had also encircled the city from the sea. It's worth mentioning that after the surrender of the city, Theodore treated the garrison and the clergy with kindness and respect, something that even the Pope commented on positively.

The coronation of Theodore as Emperor of the Romans

In the summer of 1225, news reached Theodore that the ‘crusade’ of Pope Honorius III had begun. Italian forces, led by Guilleme of Monferance landed on Almyros, in Thessaly with the aim to march against Thessalonica itself. However, the threat was soon gone, when Guilleme of Monferance as well as a large number of his force died of dysentery.

Theodore Komnenos Dukas was now free to realize his aspirations and be proclaimed Emperor of the Romans in Thessalonica. Indeed, the large city, due to its history, prestige and of its size was suited not only as the capital of the Epirote state but also as the seat of the Emperor. The council and the nobility was moved to Thessalonica and the role of the former capital, Arta, was downgraded.

The question of who should crown Theodore at Thessalonica was next raised. The metropolitan of Thessalonica declined the honor, unwilling to violate the rights of the Greek patriarch, who was then living at Nicaea and had already crowned John Vatatzes. Accordingly Theodore turned to another hierarch, who was independent of the Orthodox patriarch of Nicaea, namely, to the autocephalous (independent of archiepiscopal or patriarchal jurisdiction) archbishop of Ochrida and of “all Bulgaria,” Demetrius Chomatenus (Chomatianos), whose works, the letters in particular, have great interest for the history of the epoch. He crowned and anointed Theodore who “put on the purple robe and began to wear the red shoes,” distinctive marks of the Byzantine basileus. One of the letters of Demetrius Chomatenus shows that the coronation and anointment of Theodore of Epirus was performed “with the general consent of the members of the senate, who were in the west (that is, on the territory of the state of Thessalonica and Epirus), of the clergy, and of all the large army. Another document testifies that the coronation and anointment were performed with the consent of all the bishops who lived “in that western part.” Finally, Theodore himself signed his edicts (chrysobulls) with the full title of the Byzantine Emperor: “Theodore in Christ God Basileus and Autocrat of the Romans, Ducas.”

Basically, after the coronation of Theodore in Thessalonica, there were four Empires in the areas of the former Roman Empire: the Latin Empire of Constantinople and the Empires of Nicaea, Trebizond and Thessalonica. It's also worth mentioning that the Bulgarian Tsar had Imperial ambitions as well and he wished to create a Greco-Bulgarian Empire with Constantinople as his capital. The Emperors of the Greek Empires were basing their legitimacy in more or less the same ideologies. But only the recapture of Constantinople would be the undeniable criterion of legitimacy of the Imperial title of the leader who would manage to be crowned in Hagia Sophia.

The plans against Constantinople and the Battle of Klokotnitsa

Theodore was well informed and begun creating his plans for the campaign against Constantinople. The Latin Empire was in decline and it was a matter of time before it would fall to one of its powerful neighbors. The Epirote leader wouldn't waste the chance. After his coronation, he marched against Eastern Macedonia and South Thrace. He captured Christopolis, Volero, Xantheia, Mosynopolis, Gratianopolis and Didimoteichon. From there it was strategically logical to move north, to Adrianople, which controls the entrance to the Thracian plains from the northwest and which was in addition the last important stronghold before Constantinople itself.

In Adrianople, an incident representing of the rising ideological conflict between Epirus and Nicaea as about to happen. When the Epirote Army arrived in the city, it found the city having surrendered to a force which was sent by Emperor Johhn III Vatatzes of Nicaea. The latter wished to create a foothold in Europe in order to become able to lay a siege on Constantinople. In addition, his interest for Adrianople was due to the fact that the city was the birthplace of the Vatatzes family. In the end, thanks to his fame as the liberator of Greek populations and by giving promises to the citizens, he managed to convince them to accept him as their overlord and send the Nicaeans away. Adrianople changed hands without a shed of blood, while the men of the expeditionary force of Nicaea received assurance for their safety. Everything was going smoothly during their department, until the leader of the expeditionary force, Ioannes Komnenos Kammitzes met with Theodore. He didn't dismount his horse in order to kneel before him according to the protocol. This fact was equal to a blatant dispute of Theodore’s Imperial authority and caused tension – the insulted Emperor almost went on to hit Kammitzes in defiance of his promise. It's worth mentioning that after his return to Nicaea, Kammitzeis was rewarded by John III Vatatzes.

Theodore was planning to strike the capital of the Bulgarian Kingdom, Turnovo. The Bulgarian Tsar immediately set out to face the enemy. The two armies met in Klokotnitsa, on the road towards Phillipopolis. The Epirote Army was had the numerical advantage and Theodore also had with him a mercenary Italian contingent. Ivan Asen II was basing his hopes mainly on the 1000 Cuman light cavalry that he managed to gather. Then, the invincible until then Theodore made a critical mistake. He underestimated his enemy and fought against him in open plains, even though the experience gained during the Komnenian era, had showed that the nomadic armies should be dealt with indirect strategies.

The battle which took place in 1230 AD had catastrophic consequences for the Epirotes. Unfortunately we don't possess a detailed account of the battle. However, by knowing the the tactics of the Cumans we may guess that Theodore, hunted down the Bulgarian and Cuman forces which, pretending to retreat, turned back and slaughtered the disorganized Epirotes with rains of arrows. After suffering huge casualties the Epirote army surrendered. Theodore and his officers were captured while the soldiers were allowed to return to their homes. Ivan Asen II showed respect towards Theodore, who remained prisoner of the now powerful Bulgarian Tsar.

The consequences of the Battle of Klokotnitsa

Shortly after his victory, Ivan conquered most of the Empire of Thessalonica. In a .. of few months, he annexed Thrace and a large area of Macedonia, capturing important cities such as Adrianople, Serres, Ochrid and even Dyrrachium. His dominion stretched from the coasts of the Black Sea to the Adriatic Sea and from Thessaly to Albania, in Greek, Albanian and Serbian lands..... Not all the Greek lands were conquered though. Thessalonica and its outskirts passed to Manuel Komnenos Dukas, brother of Theodore, whom Ivan Asen II allowed to return to the city and ...control of the areas that were still under Greek possession. In fact the Empire of Thessalonica was now a Bulgarian protectorate. Despite that, Manuel was proclaimed Emperor. In Epirus, Michael II Komnenos Dukas had been installed as governor since 1231 AD with the consent of his uncle Manuel. Michael would later imitate the Imperial ambitions of Theodore and pose a new danger for the Empire of Nicaea but to no avail.

Theodore remained in captivity for seven years and was unable to accept his defeat and fall. Thus, he plotted and tried to overthrow the Bulgarian Tsar. When the plot was discovered, he was punished with the penalty of blinding. He was finally set free in 1237 by Ivan Asen II, who after his wife's death, married Theodore's daughter, Irene who was famed for her beauty. His freedom though was probably attributed to political reasons. Theodore's ambitions were not dead. The aged lion as he was called, continued to influence things in the Balkans for the next ten years. He died some time after 1252, imprisoned in Nicaea, where he had gone after an invitation by John III Vatatzes and after he had been struck by another sad event, the annexation of Thessalonica by the Empire of Nicaea, in 1246 AD.

Epilogue

The alternative scenarios as to what could have happened if Emperor Theodore marched against Constantinople or if he won the battle of Klokotnitsa are many and very interesting. The decline of the Latin Empire was evident and its doubtful if it could withstand an attack of the Epirote forces but even then, the question remains: what would the Bulgarians and the Nicaeans, the other two contenders for Constantinople do, in case Theodore besieged it?

As a matter of fact though, the Latin Empire was handed a few more years of life, due to the inability of the Epirotes and Nicaeans to support each other. The ideological and political differences managed to divide the Greek medieval world until the defeat of Theodore in Klokotnitsa and the immediate fall of his Empire, shortly afterwards. From that point on, John III Vatatzes and his successors, with a steady policy managed to weaken the Latins and Bulgarians and at the end conquered the ultimate prize, Constantinople.

Sources:

History of the Byzantine Empire - A.A. Vasiliev
    History of the Kingdom of Nicaea and the Despotate of Epirus (1204-1261), 1898 - Antonius Miliaraces (Greek)
    Concerning the Despotate of Epirus, 1895 - John Romanus (Greek)
    The rise and fall of Theodore Komnenos Dukas (1215-1230), Article on the Magazine "Military History", 2006 - Hlias Nesseris

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety

Default Re: Helios 60 - E pluribus unum

René Artois
    Making a return to The Helios, René has produced an article on a political theme as he writes about the question of where a government derives its legitimacy to govern, and the principle of the "right to rule".

How is authority bestowed upon governments?

Authority is based upon a perceived, ‘right to rule’ and brings about compliance through a moral obligation on the part of the ruled to obey. Max Weber described it as power created in legitimacy, or ‘legitimate power’. According to his view, a government that is obeyed can be said to exercise authority, even though the obedience of the ruled may have been brought about by systematic indoctrination and propaganda. Differing views on authority have, however, been put forward by different thinkers. Machiavelli argued in ‘the Prince’ that authority was not needed to keep power in the short term as other methods such as violence and manipulation can be used to stay in power. He did argue though, that it is needed in the long run if a ruler is to keep power. Hobbes argued that authority is needed and would be gained in the long term as the ruled will fear a return to anarchy, or what Hobbes termed ‘the state of nature’, however this idea has the unintended consequence of legitimising the de facto power of a ruler gained through illegal means such as a coup. Locke, on the other hand, argued that authority lies with the ruled, and that it is delegated in small amounts to the government, so it remains subordinate to the wishes of the ruled. In a modern liberal democracy, authority is obtained in this way, as government through elections, creating a representative government in theory.

Weber’s concept of legal-rational authority applies to a liberal modern democracy, arguably forming the basis of the authority of liberal governments. The theory argues for authority that is attached to offices rather than with people, and gives formal powers to the holder. It does, however, bind the office holder to a system of laws and regulations, in place to stop any individual from gaining too much power. In modern, democratic contexts these are given authority from the people also, so would have the support of Locke, as the democratic system ensures any abuse of power will be seen and the office holder then removed. In this way, authority is bestowed with full consent of the people. However, in practice, liberal democratic governments often fail, resulting in authority being unfairly distributed and in some cases, important positions of authority being bestowed on people without consent. An example of the former cases would be seen in the UK’s ‘first past the post’ electoral system. In 2005, the Labour party under Gordon Brown retained their governmental majority for another 5 years, gaining 55% of seats in the House of Commons with only 33% of the votes, whereas the Liberal Democrats gained only 9% of the seats with 22% of the votes. As well as this, in 2010, Labour gained 6% more votes than the Liberal Democrats, yet due to the coalition agreement between them and the Conservatives, they have more influence over government policy. Results such as these highlight the flaws in the way authority is bestowed upon the government of the UK. Many proposals to reform the system have appeared and failed, because those who would be able to make the changes also achieved power through the current system, so would be unwilling to change it to a system in which they may lose power. As well as through flaws in the governmental system, authority can be undemocratically distributed through other means such as Prime Ministers creating unelected positions such as advisors for example Lord Adonis, appointed by Blair as ‘Education Policy Advisor’ in 1998. His appointed status meant he had too much authority and effectively controlled policies through one to one meetings with Blair and avoiding being questioned by MPs. Even the chairman of the Commons Education committee at the time, Barry Sheerman said Adonis was the man with most control over education policy. Also, out-dated, Prime Minister appointed positions such as that of Attorney General are used to make decisions, which represent a flaw in the way authority is bestowed because they can make decisions legitimising a governments actions despite being in the pay roll of said government, potentially being biased. However, there are ways in which government authority can decline such as public responses to its actions. This can be seen as happening in the aftermath of the Iraq War, as the authority of the Blair government weakened dramatically through diminishing approval ratings, effectively weakening his position and limiting the actions he was able to take. These examples of legal-rational authority being lost disagree with liberal theorists, who argue authority should arise from below to be recognised by those who respect authority.

As well as liberal perspectives on how authority should be bestowed, Weber theorises on conservative perspectives, outlining what he termed, ‘traditional authority’, in which the authority of an institution is legitimate power because it has always existed, so people obey it out of respect for long established customs, in other words obeying what works. In Hobbes’ view, however, traditional authority would be obeyed mostly because it is a way of avoiding the state of nature, whilst also being appointed by divine authority (in the case of a long standing monarchy). Monarchies, in the modern world are in decline, with few left including the UK and Spain. Authority of the monarchy in the UK still exists; however a great deal of it has been delegated to the executive through the royal prerogative. With many calls for the monarchy to give up more power, and even be abolished, we can see their authority declining in recent years. The decline of authority is not necessarily seen as a bad thing, even by conservative thinkers because their view is that authority should be based upon what Roger Scuton termed, ‘natural necessity’, in other words, authority is always needed. This view arises out of the pessimistic conservative view of people, that they always need leadership and guidance in life, meaning any leader should have authority. Neoconservative thinkers take the view that modern day measures that undermine the authority of figures such as policemen and teachers create a ‘pathless desert’, leading to rises in crime and delinquency.

In a dictatorship, long term authority is usually based upon the dictator’s personality, in what Weber terms ‘charismatic authority’. This is often based around a ‘cult of personality’ in which the dictator manages to create an almost god-like illusion of himself, making the people love him, and at the same time controlling them with power. Examples of this would be Stalin and Hitler, who emphasised the role of the individual in government, leaving all authority in their own hands. This juxtaposes with the liberal view on authority, because it means authority over the people comes from the top rather than from the bottom. Hannah Arendt argued that the virtue of authority, even traditional authority, was that it provides individuals with a sense of social identity, stability and reassurance. This could then be used to explain how dictators such as Hitler and Stalin gain authority. Arendt continued, explaining the collapse of authority leaves people lonely, disorientated and ‘prey to the entreaties of demagogues’. Arendt also made a distinction between authoritarian and totalitarian societies, because in both, political opposition and civil liberties are suppressed, but only in totalitarianism is individual freedom wiped out and total power established. Charismatic authority also exists to an extent in modern liberal democracies, with much of Thatcher and Blair’s authority being down to their charismatic personality, so had a lot more power, compared to Major and Brown who had somewhat ‘dour’ personalities.

In modern governments, authority is bestowed through constitutional means such as elections, making the government accountable for their actions. This is only in theory though, because in practice there are ways in which governments can get around the system, as well as exploiting flaws in the system, leading to only a quasi-democratic system of government in some countries. This happens because of ineffective electoral systems and appointed members of government who have a large influence on policy.

m_1512
    In his writing début for The Helios, m_1512 has decided to write his article on a very well known and much debated military action: the Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War, when a few hundred men charged down a valley towards Russian guns at the far end of it, incurring terrible casualties as they did so. It has long been regarded as one of history's famous blunders, and here m_1512 analyses it.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

The year is 1854. Russia has started a war with the Ottoman Empire and its allies, Britain and France. The war started as the question of protection of minority Christians in the holy land. Prussia under the stewardship of Otto von Bismarck remained neutral. Austria sided with Britain to the disbelief of the Russians.

The charge of the light brigade took place at the Battle of Balaclava in the Crimean peninsula. To clearly understand the charge, let us weed out excessive details and stick with the events directly bearing on the charge.

Lord Raglan : British Commander
    Lord Lucan : Commander of Cavalry Division
    Lord Cardigan : Commander of the Light Brigade
    Captain Morris : 17th Lancers
    Captain Lewis Nolan : 15th Hussars

Date: 25th October 1854

As in the above picture, the Heavy Brigade was ordered to engage the Russian cavalry. The Russian Cavalry retreats. By observing the route of retreat of the Russian cavalry, you can see that the Light Brigade was in an excellent position to intercept and complete the rout. Captain Morris presses Lord Cardigan to attack, he is refused. He then requests Cardigan to allow him to attack with his regiment, again refused. Morris returned to his regiment striking his thigh and saying “What an opportunity we have missed”.

Meanwhile, the Russian cavalry retreats and takes up position behind the guns. See the diagram below.

Raglan from his position (highlighted in yellow) observes the Russians (highlighted in red) preparing to remove the guns on the Causeway Heights. These were the naval guns captured from the Ottomans in the redoubts. These cannons or guns as they were commonly termed were an important factor in victory or defeat in those days. Therefore, they could let it go unchallenged. Since the Infantry had not reached, the only available force was the cavalry, in particular the Light Brigade.
    Raglan sends an order through Captain Nolan to Lucan. The picture of the original order is below.

Barely Legible, the order is also ambiguous.
    The order was, “Lord Raglan wishes the cavalry to advance rapidly to the front, and try to prevent the enemy carrying away the guns. Troop of horse artillery may accompany. French cavalry is on your left. Immediate.”
    To understand why exactly the order could make little sense, we shall consider two views.

Raglan's point of view :

In the above diagram, I have highlighted the probable Line of Sight for Raglan. In other words, the green shaded area represents what Raglan could see from his position on the Ridge. Therefore, from his point of view the order is clear enough.

Lucan's point of view :

The blue shade depicts the extent Lucan and the Light Brigade could see. To them they can only see guns and cavalry ahead on them, and not on the heights.

A psychological factor behind this mistake was the clash of personalities. Cardigan, Lucan, and Nolan all bore contempt and dislike towards each other. Also the refusal of Raglan to commit the cavalry so far in the war had earned Lucan the nickname Lord “look-on”.

Nolan rides out to Lucan to deliver Raglan's order. The order makes little sense to him. He asks Nolan 'What cavalry' and 'What guns' Raglan was referring to. Nolan with quite some insolence, is reported to have flung his arm out in the direction of the the cavalry and guns at the end of North Valley and said, “There is your enemy. There are your guns, My Lord.”
    This put an end to any further clarification of raglan's order.
    Lucan rode over to Cardigan and ordered him to charge the Russian cavalry. As an final irritant, Lucan put the 11th Hussars (Cardigan's regiment) into second line.

The Light Brigade charged. See the pictures below for the course of the charge.

The brigade comes under heavy fire.

The brigade charges and repels the Russian cavalry.

The charge complete the Light Brigade returned by the route it had come. It did this singly and in small groups, other than two larger parties: one led by Colonel Shewell formed of 70 men of the 8th Hussars and the 17th Lancers; the other led by Lord George Paget of 4th Light Dragoons and 11th Hussars. Each of these bodies was opposed by Russian cavalry who emerged from the hills on either side of the valley, which they charged and dispersed.

The French General directed the 4th Chasseurs D’Afrique, a colonial cavalry regiment, to attack along the Fedioukine Hills and silence the Russian fire on the north side of the valley. This they did with great success and a loss of only 38 casualties. This relieved the British cavalrymen of the fire from the north side of the valley as they returned.

Aftermath:

On its return the Light Brigade had a mounted strength of 195 officers and men from an original strength of 673. 247 men were killed and wounded. 475 horses were killed and 42 wounded. The 13th Light Dragoons mustered 10 mounted men.

In the raging controversy that followed, Lucan took most of the blame.

Analysis:

1. It has been reported that Captain Nolan realized when the charge was on the way, that they were to turn and advance onto Causeway Heights. He rode ahead and started waving his sword for Cardigan. Fortunately for the Russians and Unfortunately for the British, he was struck down by a shell. he was the first casualty.

2. It has been reported (but not verified) that the artillery barrage started after some time after the Brigade came into the range of the guns. It is said that the Russian artillerymen were so stunned at the action of the brigade that they forgot to fire.

3. All these can be put down to incompetency of the officers of the time and the petty rivalry that existed between them.

Who is to blame:

1. To some extent, Lord Raglan, for not giving out a specific order.

2. Lucan for not clarifying the order.

3. Cardigan, Lucan, and Nolan for their ‘Clash Of Personalities’. In other words this can be called as petty rivalries.

Boustrophedon
    Boustrophedon's next article continues in the linguistic vein that he started last edition. This time, he gives a brief overview of the Icelandic language, widely regarded as the most difficult language for anyone to learn. Let's see if his article can teach us a thing or two about it.

The Icelandic Language
    Main source: Introduction to the History and Typology of the Germanic languages
    By:Professor de Grauwe (Dutch version)

Icelandic words will be italicized and underlined

Icelandic is in quite a few aspects a very unique language, certainly so the European continent. Due to the constant inter-tribal and international contacts on the mainland, languages like French and German and Dutch changed constantly and extensively over the many centuries. There's a law in linguistics that states that any given language will decrease in complexity over time. Iceland is an exception to this rule for obvious and less obvious reasons.

First of all, as you probably know, it's an island. It's also a very small island and it's located at quite a distance from the nearest swath of land, making it very uninteresting for conquerors or colonists. The language as we know it today was imported by the early settlers from south west Norway during the landnámatíð(860-930) and has barely changed since then. Icelandic still has many archaic characteristics such as a great wealth of forms (morphology-grammar), archaic spelling (morphology-vocabulary) and a unique aspect that I will explain in the paragraph below.

Second of all, Icelandic has never really received the Germanic or Romance influence the rest of Europe has. They retained much of their old spelling and even today they still refuse to bring loan words or foreign words into their language. How can they do this, you might ask? In this age of technology and communication it seems impossible to refuse using English or French origin vocabulary in your daily language. Computer, application, data, television... These items are used on a daily basis so they need to be spoken out loud as well.

The Icelandic population has found a way to ignore foreign words. They just adapt them into authentic Icelandic words. There are several ways of constructing these neo-archaisms or purist neologisms:
    • Compound words
    e.g. smásjá meaning microscope. This word is composed from two Icelandic words smá (small) and sjá (vision).

e.g. lyfsali meaning pharmacist. This word is composed from lyf (medicine) and sali (vendor).

e.g. leikhús meaning theater. This word is composed from leik (game, playing) and hús (house).
    • Abstraction
    e.g. hreifill meaning engine (literally "mover"). This word is abstracted from hreif- (to move) + -ill (agens)
    • Extension of vocabulary
    e.g. kerfi (bond, union). This Icelandic word can also be used as "system".
    • New meaning through morphological change
    e.g. sími (telephone). The original form is síma meaning "wire" or "cord".
    • Clipping
    e.g. kofti from the English word "helicopter" by clipping the last part and Icelandicizing it.

Thirdly, Icelandic is a highly reflective language, as evidenced by the following characteristics:
    • Predicative declension of the adjective
    e.g. Pétur er svangur (Peter is hungry) - masculine
    e.g. Edda er svöng (Edda is hungry) - femminine
    e.g. Barnið er svangt(The child is hungry) - neutral

e.g. Menninir eru svangir(The men are hungry) - plural
    • Inner flexion
    e.g. maður-inn (the man) - nominative
    e.g. manns-ins (of the man) - genitive

Fourthly, they share the archaic patronymic naming system with the Scandinavian nations.

e.g. Vigdis Finnbogadóttir which is the full name of "Vigdis, daughter of Finnboga"
    e.g. Olafur Grímsson which is the full name of "Olafur, son of Grims"

Fifthly, there aren't really dialects in Icelandic. There are only 260,000 native speakers and they are usually classified in three pronunciation varieties.
    1. Linmoeli (soft language) in southwestern Iceland around the capital Reykjvavik.
    2. Harðmoeli (hard language) in northeastern Iceland.
    3. Slappmoeli (weak language) in the capital's youth slang.
    I hope this has brought you some insight in the wonderful and unique language that is Icelandic. I could have gone into more detail or given more examples but this was only meant as an introduction to the language and I wanted to keep it accesible to those without a linguistic background. Until next time when I return with a new article on language.

Once again, I thank my excellent team of writers for their continued hard work in making The Helios what it is, and your support as a receptive and interested readership.

After reading this edition, now would be an excellent time to pay a visit to one of the other TWC publications, which can be done by clicking on either of the images below.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Oh, it is finally released! Great job to the team and Jom who managed to organize it and release it even though he was busy with more important personal affairs.

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Nice.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

A splendid effort from the Helios staff. I'm quite looking forward to reading the rest of Narf's article.

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

Thank you Legio, And good job everyone!
    Last edited by Narf; February 15, 2018 at 07:03 AM.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Are we awesome or what? Great job lads (and lass).

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Fiiiinally! Now add me back into content!
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Nice work fellas (and girl, Narfi ) and I'll be reading through them in more detail when I have the time! Rep has been spread around so enjoy its bliss
    I hope people will also enjoy my little article and maybe learn something in the process

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

I enjoyed this. Thank you

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Just finished reading the Norse Mythology article, loving it Narfi, excellent job! Somebody rep her for me she's earned it.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

A Very interesting read !

Thanks Helios team.

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?

Blog Entries

Next time, I should make it some more articles.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by m_1512 View Post

Next time, I should make it some more articles.
    It's not the quantity but the quality that counts, as with all things in life

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    It's not the quantity but the quality that counts, as with all things in life
    apart from £10 notes

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    apart from £10 notes
    Word.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Funny, I was just thinking about Iceland today so that article was very interesting. Particularly intresting is the patronymic system, which unlike the English versions of 'Wilson' or 'McDonald' (son of Will and son of Donald) which are set in stone whether it is a son or daughter, Icelandic surnames are changeable depending on whether it is a son or daughter, the only language in Europe in which that happens iirc.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Daily's Avatar Flingin' ma mace son
    Content Emeritus

A very good and interesting read. I especially liked Narfs article about norse gods since I am a fan of norse mythology. Thank you Helio crew!
    Proud patron of Confederate Jeb and FalconPilot
    View how Grouchy makes a Hoplon shield!

Romanos IV's Avatar The 120th Article, § 4
    the hell outta here (Athens, European Client State of Greece)

A very, very good issue! Bravo to all
    Under the noble patronage of Jimkatalanos