Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [Music] Official Westeros: TW Soundtrack Development Thread

preselectlee's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: [Music] Official Westeros: TW Soundtrack Development Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Timur Amir View Post
    it's such a shame; that opening theme is on the verge of becoming iconic, and I could see both the mod and the show benefiting from it's use. But in the complicated world of legal issues and copyrights, such things are a mess, so it's understandable.

You can always add it yourself! I know I will...

Hello people of Westeros TW

I'm new to being a member of this site, but I've been a fan of this mod for a very long time. I saw your search for music and decided that I might be able to assist you in this regard.

I am a musician, and have a hobby of creating symphony pieces. I am willing to create songs and submit them to you for review. This would be done so that you would be able to have music made and be able to use it without that irritating legal issue involved with the official companies and their songs. If you like them, then you'd have my blessing and full permission to use them in whatever way you want. (Just as long as it's mentioned somewhere that I made them ) If you don't like them, then feel free to either reject them or say what revisions you'd like to see done, and I'll revise them until something decent and acceptable is made.

This is just an offer, made because this mod is quite literally my favorite of all the Medieval 2 mods. I humbly await your response.

Best Regards,

Castiel Angelos

please contact HannibalExMachina to get the access to the development forum. there is a thread there concerning music, your help will be most appreciated and there are a few pieces we are looking for but cant find what we are exactly looking for.
    and a symphony artist/composer is what we need exactly

Alright, I've sent him a message and will find the music thread when/if I'm given access. Thank you for your support and I hope I'll be able to provide the music that you need

Kiliç Alì's Avatar Domesticus
    Artifex

I am a musician, and have a hobby of creating symphony pieces.
    wow! What do you play?

Member of the Imperial House of Hader, proud client of The only and sole Ferrit

Soviet's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    I am in direct contact with HBO (I run the GoT TV Wiki site) and I can confirm that trying to use official HBO imagery, music or anything else in this mod would result in them dropping a nuclear bomb on the project. We have guidelines to follow on the wiki even just using clearly-copyright-marked images .
    I sincerely doubt that ever happening. I can't recall ANY instance of a mod having to halt its progress for copyright issues, except for BrigadierGraham's minor debacle, and that wasn't even close to being on the scale this is. There's no profit coming from this, so full-steam-ahead I say.

The Soprano Sax is currently my favorite instrument and what I'm by far the best at. I play the Barritone sax majorly as well but also have seven years of experience playing most variants of both the saxophone and the clarinet. I also am part of a small local (nothing official, just dinner parties right now) band known as Something Something And The Whatevers, with a pianist, an electric guitar, a bass guitar, and a drummer, (And me on the sax!) and all of us are modestly learned in music theory and composition. For my music creations though I prefer to use FL Studio and East West Quantam Leap Symphonic Orchestra, which allows me both convenience and nice sound quality

As such I hope that it all adds up to me being able to make something fitting of this amazing mod, so I can enjoy some good music while I put a whoop on the Lannisters

Artifex

As such I hope that it all adds up to me being able to make something fitting of this amazing mod, so I can enjoy some good music while I put a whoop on the Lannisters
    I wish you good work then

Thanks! It has to really bite to have to try and find GOOD legal music for a mod, so anything I can do to help relieve that pressure, I'll do my best to. Do you work on the project or are you a fan? -uses the Force on any admin watchers- ~This subject is related to the thread. Move along.~

Artifex

I am a fan, plus I started a project about avents with noobas, and just make request to join the team (if they want us, wich I hope.)
    But I was asking this since I am a musician too

I play the guitar
    Last edited by Kiliç Alì; September 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM.

Very nice! I need to learn how to play but I'm not sure I'll ever manage to take the time to do it

Laetus

i am a guitarist too! i was creating something i thought would fit with the mod for music but i struggle with time to balance it around my other hobbies and college, also lacking the programs and decent sounds. i sent the begginings of the track to hannibalexmachina but i havn't been able to look back over the track in nearly a week. However, should you ever need any assistance in composition i can offer help in that as i do have some spare time, but not enough to give this mod all that it would deserve of its composer.

What about the Two Steps from Hell, there's many good music in the spirit of Westeros.
    A french fan

I think I posted one from them, and that was mainly to direct the team to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliç Alì View Post
    I play the guitar

i used to play the bass ...are we to start a music project too ? hahah

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
    I sincerely doubt that ever happening. I can't recall ANY instance of a mod having to halt its progress for copyright issues, except for BrigadierGraham's minor debacle, and that wasn't even close to being on the scale this is. There's no profit coming from this, so full-steam-ahead I say.
    Being in direct contact with HBO on the wiki - to the point of discussing it on the phone - all I can say is that HBO are being incredibly vigilant with regards to copyright on the TV series. They've never had quite this level of interest in one of their series before which ties in with copyright (aside from some Band of Brothers-themed mods for WW2 games, and they always claim they're based on the book or the original factual events rather than the TV series, which lets them off the hook) so they're not au fait with what is general practice in the modding community and what isn't. Legally, a lot of these points have never been clarified in a court of law (although most lawyers seem to agree that the "it's not for profit!" excuse does not automatically make everything okay).

So I see no reason to take the risk (remote as it might be), especially with the number of other options given in this thread. On a creative level, the mod is based on the books and the books alone, and I think that should continue with it having its own music. A 'HBO submod' which replaces the Amok portraits with pictures of the TV characters and uses the TV visual design and the TV soundtrack etc could be an option for further down the road, and if anyone objects and shuts it down, it doesn't effect the core mod. The same for the suggestion of having a separate music mod/folder with the TV soundtrack in it, which can be removed if anyone objects without the main mod being effected.

I don't have a ton of music that would be good - most of my soundtracks are way too iconic.

I do, however, know of a band that did an entire album about ASoIaF - Arkngthand. Here's an example.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Obviously, we'd have to remove the lyrics, but I think some of the instrumental parts could be useful. And I have their keyboardist's YouTube account, so we could contact them for permission.

Also, I had an idea: for the campaign screen, create TWO soundtracks. One for summer, one for winter. If you want winter to be a change in mood, a different soundtrack would help immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by lh197 View Post
    I don't actually recall the soundtracks of the Stronghold games in any detail. But they had soundtracks. They were almost definitely Medieval. That is all. This is probably the least informative and useful contribution on the thread. You're welcome
    I did like the Stronghold:Legends soundtrack a lot and it most certainly fits the theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4U9adImHS8

I don't know where it would fit, but this was my favorite soundtrack from my favorite part of the movie.

Maybe as a battle preparation and marching tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
    Hm, clearly you've never heard of that Halo mod for one of the Command and Conquer games. It was awesome, the guys were working on it for years, it was really complete, full of new stuff, it was basically the Third Age of that game in modding terms. And then when they were close to release it Microsoft told them to just stop working on it, because they were working on that Xbox RTS Halo game that totally sucked, and wasn't even for the PC (unlike the said mod). So yeah, it has happened.