Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [Music] Official Westeros: TW Soundtrack Development Thread

Default Re: [Music] Official Westeros: TW Soundtrack Development Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Commander Snow View Post
    If you don't use this or a variant I will be very unhappy!
    that theme might be for our loading theme but this will most probably be our menu theme the theme will start at 1:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr6FbiRRJNQ=1m00s
    Last edited by Toho; September 16, 2011 at 08:42 AM.

well,

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I think that at least some part of this masterpiece can be used:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLdhFVzqt4

I think it's a given that the team will not even think about using the music from the TV series. It's copyrighted and HBO, whilst indulgent towards these cover versions on YouTube (it's all good, free publicity), would likely come down like a ton of bricks on anyone trying to use it (and I remain stunned that Third Age hasn't been crushed for its use of copyrighted video and music).

Studios, companies, etc in charge of successful franchises (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and no doubt ASOIAF/GoT too) tend to be very lenient in regards to fan use of their assets so long as it is non-profit and nobody is making money of what is their own copyrighted material. As the W:TW won't be making a dime from this mod it's very unlikely that HBO will consider it worth the effort to tell them off - if they even notice at all that is. Basically, the positives of the free publicity and the enforcing of the franchise as a popular thing in people's mind is more important to them.

It's the same basis that we're allowed to mod games to begin with. Why haven't the Total War creators come down on modders for using their copyrighted materials? It doesn't matter because it's non-profit. This essentially operates the same legal ground as fanfiction, fan films, etc except it's a fan game.

we will include the music in a separate download so even if someone tried to be a douche bag we could just take down the download link and the mod will be safe

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    we will include the music in a separate download so even if someone tried to be a douche bag we could just take down the download link and the mod will be safe
    Sounds pretty good to me

Quote Originally Posted by StannisBaratheon View Post
    Studios, companies, etc in charge of successful franchises (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and no doubt ASOIAF/GoT too) tend to be very lenient in regards to fan use of their assets so long as it is non-profit and nobody is making money of what is their own copyrighted material. As the W:TW won't be making a dime from this mod it's very unlikely that HBO will consider it worth the effort to tell them off - if they even notice at all that is. Basically, the positives of the free publicity and the enforcing of the franchise as a popular thing in people's mind is more important to them.

It's the same basis that we're allowed to mod games to begin with. Why haven't the Total War creators come down on modders for using their copyrighted materials? It doesn't matter because it's non-profit. This essentially operates the same legal ground as fanfiction, fan films, etc except it's a fan game.

Just a note, GRRM dissaproves of fan fiction. No idea what he would think of this though.
    Last edited by Enshou; September 14, 2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Wrong quote...

jazstl's Avatar Civis

Not sure what they should be used for but they are awesome songs which would fit the theme:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t_4BL1TXbw

2)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i6FC...eature=related

3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygNuR...eature=related

thank you for your contributions everyone...yes even the guy that linked 'requiem of a dream'
    i would like to point out that strategy and rpg games have really nice themes, specially those that concern medieval themes. so if you can recal any games that you have heard of or played please list them here so i can check them out.

I don't actually recall the soundtracks of the Stronghold games in any detail. But they had soundtracks. They were almost definitely Medieval. That is all. This is probably the least informative and useful contribution on the thread. You're welcome

A Time For Wolves...

you can try CK very nice campaign music. I can e-mail them to you if you want.

CK? if you want you can PM me with all the details, if it is songs you posses personnaly then just upload them through a mediafire or megaupload and send the links over to me through PM.
    ty

jazstl's Avatar Civis

Well I posted RFAD them only bechose I once heard a Organ+Strin Quattet and I was like Wooot...

well here you are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a8HgJHd7Mo,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGBaPOSwHK8.

And If dothraki are ever to show up :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVAWwWi0DbE

Cazac's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    after much headache and debate we, the team, have decided to give copy righted music a try. we will take steps to make certain that even if there is a copy righted issue we wont be in much trouble but it would be nice to find fan made music or themes from artists/companies who are not @$$holes.

anyways moving on, since the team is busy with other development of the various things we are working on, we have decided to have the community help us out with the soundtrack. there are a few restrictions and guidelines that need to be maintained however.

1) No modern themed music, this means no rock, techno, and definitely no rap.

2) we are looking for tracks that 'fit' the Westeros theme. for example when playing as Starks vs the Lannisters, in battle or campaign, we are not looking for 'Gondor fighting hordes of Orcs' theme song.

3) we need 3 types of music
    Campaign: Calm and Medieval like, we would prefer no vocals unless it is very soft and rare.
    Example 1 & Example 2
    March: this one is very subjective but do your best to find good themes that fit this category.
    Example (in this range, more calmer but dont be afraid to find more creative tracks)
    Battle: same as March, post whatever you feel is right but remember what i said about Gondor & Orcs
    Example (same as March, surprise me )

TIP: through my searches i found that a lot of medieval-type games have really nice themes, so if you know any medieval or fantasy games like fable, age of empires, elder scrolls that you have heard and think would fit our medieval setting then please submit their names or even link their official soundtrack from youtube here.

Thank you for you help and support.
    Cheers!

Note: Concerning tracks that have parts that don't fit or are just plain bad;

Mate don't get me wrong, I love LOTR, I've read the books several times, I've seen the movies dozens of times, I've played all the games, even the Third Age Total War. I'm pretty sure a lot of other Tolkien fans are in the same position as I am. I love Martin better, and I for one would like something original, or at least something I haven't heard pretty much everywhere. I'm sure the TV series provides a lot of good songs, why not use that as a landmark and just go from there. Anything soundwise but for Tolkien related stuff please

this sounds good for a battle start song or for an invasion event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idhzt...eature=related
    Last edited by Cazac; September 16, 2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: additional text

^ i really don't understand what you are saying, i understood you want a more unique and original theme (which we cant make), so, we have to find tracks that fit the theme.
    about the LOTR vs ASOIAF, i have no clue what you are saying, you like LOTR? good for you, i really dont see a connection here. my example about the orcs and gondor was the fact tht we are not looking for epic music tracks where a chorus is singing in the back ground and etc. for example something like this is definitely a no.

Kine's Avatar Libertus

I know you said didn't want any modern sounding music, but I think an exception could be made here. Ideal for when things start to get really tense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&ob=av3e

Seriously though, I found this guy's music on youtube which seems like it could fit. It's a bit Clint Mansell-ey in places, but there's lots to choose from and he seems easily contactable should you need to ask permission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rriew...watch_response
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; September 16, 2011 at 11:19 AM.

I am in direct contact with HBO (I run the GoT TV Wiki site) and I can confirm that trying to use official HBO imagery, music or anything else in this mod would result in them dropping a nuclear bomb on the project. We have guidelines to follow on the wiki even just using clearly-copyright-marked images

As long as the mod is based on the books and the books alone, it's up to GRRM and his publishers to deal with it, and so far they have not raised any objection to it.