Thread: Is it possible to create a Catholic Union in the 1547 Campaign?

Bellus88's Avatar Ducenarius

Icon4 Is it possible to create a Catholic Union in the 1547 Campaign?

I will play as the HRE. I wanna secure Catholic Dominance in Europe while safeguarding all these factions, I hate the Idea of the typical Conquer the hole world and make everyone YOUR FACTION! I wanna feel like I have a sense of purpose. Im a baptized Catholic but Im not religious at all, basically Im gonna be pretending that all the Protastant/Orthodox(Russia) factions are Absolute Monarchies who rule by fear and their people have a worse standard of living while all the Catholic Factions will be Benevolent Monarchies in their homelands.

Would these factions ever declare war on each other? I would find it VERY stupid to see Catholic factions fighting each other in the campaign, this never happened in history during the rise of Protestantism, there were only some minor conflicts with the HRE and some Italian city states.

Iberia
    Spanish Empire
    Kingdom of Portugal

Italy
    Most Serene Republic of Venice
    Papal States

Eastern Europe
    Kingdom of Austria
    Kingdom of Poland-Lithuania

To my knowledge, all these Factions are mostly Catholic. Do you guys think these Factions would ever declare war on each other? It would be really stupid if they did, historicaly all thhese Nations never had wars with each other 1500 and onward with the exceptoin of minor conflicts between the HRE and Italian city states.

These factions will be most concerned with fighting Protestant factions right?

They better be or else im not going to be playing this mod, I want a Catholic Alliance with no backstabbing, do you guys think its possible?

Default Re: Is it possible to create a Catholic Union in the 1547 Campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellus88 View Post
    Would these factions ever declare war on each other? I would find it VERY stupid to see Catholic factions fighting each other in the campaign, this never happened in history during the rise of Protestantism, there were only some minor conflicts with the HRE and some Italian city states.
    There's a long history of battles and wars between Catholic countries before and after Protestantism. Below are some of the major wars before Protestantism.

Norman conquest of England: Normandy vs England (1066-1088)
    War of the Sicilian Vespers: Spain vs France and Italy (1282-1302)
    Hundred Years War: England vs France (1337-1453)
    War of the Eight Saints: the Papal States vs Milan, Florence, and Siena (1375-1378)
    Polish–Teutonic War: Poland vs the Teutonic Knights (1431–1435)
    Thirteen Years' War: Poland and Prussia vs the Teutonic Knights (1454–66)
    Italian Wars: Italy, HRE, Spain vs France (1494–1498)

And that's not including civil wars and uprisings.

The only time there where very few wars between Catholic nations was during the Crusades when they were too busy fighting against Muslims to fight amongst themselves.

Iberia
    Spanish Empire
    Kingdom of Portugal

Italy
    Most Serene Republic of Venice
    Papal States

Eastern Europe
    Kingdom of Austria
    Kingdom of Poland-Lithuania

To my knowledge, all these Factions are mostly Catholic. Do you guys think these Factions would ever declare war on each other? It would be really stupid if they did, historicaly all thhese Nations never had wars with each other 1500 and onward with the exceptoin of minor conflicts between the HRE and Italian city states.
    They did declare major wars on each other after 1500. Below is a list of the major wars.

War of the League of Cambrai: Venice, France, Scotland vs Papal States, Milan, HRE, Spain, and England (1508-1516)
    Polish–Teutonic War: Poland vs the Teutonic Knights (1519–1521)
    Italian Wars: Papal States, HRE, Spain, and England vs France and Venice (1521–1526)
    War of the League of Cognac: Spain, HRE, Genoa vs England, France, Papal States, Milan, Florence, and Venice (1526-1530)
    Italian War: France and the Ottoman Empire vs HRE and Genoa (1536–1538)
    Italian War: France and the Ottoman Empire vs Spain, HRE, England, Savoy, and Brandenburg (1542–1546)
    Italian War: France, Siena, and the Ottoman Empire vs Spain, HRE, England, Saxony, and Florence (1555–1559)
    Eighty Years' War: United Provinces, France, England vs Spain (1568-1648)
    War of the Portuguese Succession: Spain and Portugal vs England and Portugal (1580-1583)

Regarding the nations you mentioned:

Venice and the Papal States were usually enemies. Most Italian States didn't like other Italian States.

Portugal rarely fought in European wars but if they had they probably would have sided with Spain.

Austria was part of the HRE during this time period. Though they rarely fought against Poland-Lithuania they did fight against many Catholic countries in Western Europe.

Poland-Lithuania rarely fought in European wars, and usually fought against Russia and the Ottoman Empire.

These factions will be most concerned with fighting Protestant factions right?
    Nope. In most wars countries allied with whoever hated the country they were fighting against. Catholic France even sided with the Protestant countries to prevent Catholic Spain from becoming too powerful during the 80 years war and 30 years war. France also sided with the Muslim Ottoman Empire against Catholics and protestants.

They better be or else im not going to be playing this mod, I want a Catholic Alliance with no backstabbing, do you guys think its possible?
    It is possible if you can convince all these factions to ally but it would be ahistorical.
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)