Thread: A new mode?

Default A new mode?

The Minoans (c.2000-1500 B.C.E.)

The first Greek civilization was that of the Minoans on the island of Crete just south of Greece. Quite clearly, the Minoans were heavily influenced by two older Near Eastern civilizations, Mesopotamia and Egypt, by way of the Cycladic Islands, which formed natural stepping stones for the spread of people from Greece and of civilized ideas from the Middle East. Egyptian influence on the Minoans is especially apparent. Minoan architecture used columns much as Egyptian architecture did. Minoan art also seems to copy Egyptian art by only showing people in profile, never frontally. Still, the Minoans added their own touches, making their figures much more natural looking than the still figures we find in Egyptian art.
    Since we have not been able to translate the few examples of their hieroglyphic script, known as Linear A, there are some very large gaps in the picture we have of these people. We do not even know what the people on Crete called themselves. The term Minoans comes from Greek myths concerning a legendary king of Crete, Minos, who supposedly ruled a vast sea empire. As with most myths, there is a grain of truth in this myth, for the Minoans were a seafaring people who depended on their navy and trade for power and prosperity.
    Two things, both relating to Crete's maritime position, largely determined the nature of the Minoan's civilization. First, they had a large fleet, which was useful for both trade and defense. Second, Crete's isolated position meant there was no major threat to its security at this time and therefore little need for fortifications. These two factors helped create a peaceful and prosperous civilization reflected in three aspects of Minoan culture: its cities and architecture, the status of its women, and its art, especially its pottery.
    The Minoans had several main cities centered around palace complexes which collected the island's surplus wealth as taxes and redistributed it to support the various activities that distinguish a civilization: arts, crafts, trade, and government. The largest of these centers was at Knossos, whose palace complex was so big and confusing to visitors, that it has come down to us in Greek myth as the Labyrinth, or maze, home of the legendary beast, the Minotaur. The sophistication of the Minoans is also shown by the fact that they had water pipes, sewers, and even toilets with pipes leading to outside drains. Since their island position eliminated the need for fortifications, Minoan cities were less crowded and more spread out than cities in other civilizations.
    Minoan women seem to have had much higher status than their counterparts in many other ancient civilizations. One likely reason was that, in the absence of a powerful warrior class and a constant need for defense, they had more opportunity for attaining some social stature. This is reflected in their religion where the primary deity was an earth goddess. Minoan art also depicts women as being much freer, even participating with men in a dangerous gymnastic ritual of vaulting themselves over a charging bull.
    Minoan art especially its pottery, also shows a peaceful prosperous society, depicting floral designs and such marine wildlife as dolphins and octopuses rather than scenes of war. Its diffusion around the Aegean and Eastern Mediterranean shows that Minoan influence was quite widespread, extending throughout the Cycladic Islands and Southern Greece. The myth of Theseus and the Minotaur where Athens had to send a yearly sacrifice of its children to Crete, reflects Minoan rule and indicates that it might not always have been so peaceful. Recent archaeological evidence indicates the Minoans did at times practice human sacrifices.
    Minoan civilization continued to prosper until it came to a sudden and mysterious end. A combination of archaeology and mythology provide clues to how this may have happened. The central event was a massive volcanic eruption that partially sank the island of Thera some eighty miles northeast of Crete and left a crater four times the size of that created by the eruption of Krakatoa in 1883, the largest recorded volcanic eruption in recorded history, This eruption had three devastating effects: a shock wave which levelled Crete's cities, a tidal wave which destroyed its navy, and massive fallout of volcanic ash which poisoned its crops. Together these weakened the Minoans enough to let another people, the Mycenaean Greeks eventually take over around 1450 B.C.E.
    This seems to correspond to the myth of the lost continent of Atlantis, passed on to the Greeks from the Egyptians who had been frequent trading partners with the Minoans. When the Minoans, whose fleet was destroyed by the tidal wave, suddenly stopped coming to visit Egypt, stories drifted southward about an island blown into the sea (i.e., Thera) which the Egyptians assumed was Crete. Over the centuries the stories kept growing until Crete became the vast mythical continent and empire of Atlantis set in the Atlantic Ocean. The Greeks picked up the story, which is found in its most complete form in Plato's dialogues, Timaeus and Critias.
    The Mycenaeans (c.1500-ll00 B.C.E.)

were Greeks from the mainland who took advantage of the Minoans' weakened state to conquer Crete and assume Minoan dominance of the Aegean and Eastern Mediterranean. They were a vigorous and active people who engaged in trade and some piracy over a wide area extending from southern Italy in the west to Troy and the Black Sea in the northeast. We are almost as much in the dark about Mycenaean history and society as we are about the Minoans. We do have some written records in a script called Linear B which concern themselves mainly with official tax records and inventories.
    Three types of evidence tell us at least a little about Mycenaean society. First of all, we know that they were divided into different city-states such as Mycenae, Pylos, Tiryns, and Athens. Most of these consisted of highly fortified central palace complexes which ruled over surrounding villages. The Mycenaeans tried to run these as highly centralized states such as existed in Egypt and Mesopotamia. We do not know if these city-states were completely independent or looked to one city, probably Mycenae, for leadership. However, sources, such as the Iliad tell us that the Mycenaeans could apparently unite in a common endeavor such as the Trojan War.
    Second, the art, armor, and remains of fortifications, such as those at Mycenae, tell us the Mycenaeans were much more warlike than the Minoans. Later Greeks had no idea of the existence of Mycenaean civilization and thought these massive walls and gates had been built by a mythical race of giants known as the Cyclopes.
    Finally, archaeological remains also tell us that the Mycenaeans, at least the upper classes, were fabulously wealthy from trade and probably occasional piracy. Gold funeral masks, jewelry, bronze weapons, tripods, and a storeroom with 2853 stemmed goblets all attest to the Mycenaeans' wealth. Keep in mind this is only what we have found. There is no telling how much of their wealth was plundered by grave robbers.
    Around 1200 B.C.E., a period of migrations and turmoil began that would weaken and eventually help destroy Mycenaean civilization. Once again, the main troublemakers were the Sea Peoples whom we have seen destroy the Hittite Empire, conquer the coast of Palestine, and shake the Egyptian Empire to its very foundations. The Sea Peoples also hit the Mycenaeans, destroying some settlements and driving other inhabitants inland or across the sea away from their raids. The historical Trojan War and sack of Troy took place at this time at the hands of the Mycenaeans, who may have been running from and, in some cases, joining up with the Sea Peoples. Hittite records associate their own decline with people known as the Ahhiwaya, translated as "Achaeans" (Greeks).
    Whatever role the Mycenaeans may have played in all these raids, the result was widespread turmoil as cities were sacked, populations displaced, and trade disrupted. Even though the Mycenaeans survived the actual onslaught of the Sea Peoples, they did not survive the aftermath of all this destruction. Reduced revenue from trade may have caused more warfare between the city-states over the meager resources left in Greece. This warfare would only serve to weaken the Mycenaeans further, wreck trade even more, aggravate grain shortages at home, and so on. This recurring feedback of problems opened the way for a new wave of Greek tribes, the Dorians, to move down and take over much of Greece. A period of anarchy and poverty now settled over the Greek world which virtually blotted out any memories of the Minoans and Mycenaeans. However, on top of the foundations laid by these early Greek cultures an even more creative and vibrant civilization would be built, that of the classical Greeks.

Default Re: A new mode?

Download link and how can i install it??

Its not a mode its an idea

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

It's not an idea, it's a short passage of historical information that you copy-pasted from somewhere. If you want to play a mod with the historical peoples of Bronze Age Greece, then try one of the other mods. Aristeia is not it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea View Post
    It's not an idea, it's a short passage of historical information that you copy-pasted from somewhere. If you want to play a mod with the historical peoples of Bronze Age Greece, then try one of the other mods. Aristeia is not it.
    Yes but the two Factions exist all ready in the game so it couldnt be hard to make a mode.Of course i copy paste the net is full of ancient history your behaviour sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Yes but the two Factions exist all ready in the game so it couldnt be hard to make a mode.Of course i copy paste the net is full of ancient history your behaviour sucks
    Leaving aside the fact that your entitled attitudes sucks far worse, you haven't actually suggested a mode. You've literally just dumped two irrelevant tracts of information. What mode are you suggesting that "couldn't be hard" but you're not volunteering to make yourself?

You can already play as the Mycenaeans. And if you want to play as them without the distraction of the Trojan War then download Troy Total War, which doesn't have the wartime start positions.

Since when did mods start being called modes? My hair dryer has two modes, fast and slow. Mod is short for modification.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Dekker View Post
    You can already play as the Mycenaeans. And if you want to play as them without the distraction of the Trojan War then download Troy Total War, which doesn't have the wartime start positions.
    Alternatively in Aristeia, one can also just pack up their troops and return back to their respective homeland, like I do most of the time.

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Agreed, there is no need for another mod on this era that focuses on classical civilizations, they are covered enough in TTW, Ariesteia and Bronze Age Total War, which I haven't played yet, but looks promising.
    Further to that, Ariesteia is not really the right concept to focus on Minos v Greece. Homer didn't write any epics about that era glorifying the struggle.

I didnt mean to INSULT any of you guys,iam not a moder,so i just can imagine,ARISTEIA is a great mode with the best map i ever seen,there are some tales on this kingdom of minoans every body was paying a tribute to them,so we got the tale of ΘΗΣΕΑΣ,and the kiling of ΜΙΝΟΤΑΥΡΟΣ,behind of this tale is the revoloution that started against them,have a good morning

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

That was the longest most awkward silence that this forum has ever endured I do not count muself as insulted, I was merely supplying feedback, which I admit might come across as much more harsh in written text than if I was speaking to you face to face I believe that the only way to speak your mind online and not sound like a total A*****ole is to put smiley faces at the end of all your sentances but then again, maybe it is because my mind is always more objective than most when I know I am not speaking to ones face

Spyros, you are very bold for placing your idea here with such volume and detail, even if it is not written by yourself I believe that many found that your lazyness stood out more than your suggestion. Don't get me wrong, this mod would be great on it's own but it does not fit in with Arestiea, and definatly should have been posted in "wips ideas and proposals" rather than on the forum for an established and completed mod

It is a good concept, but it is also well covered in other MODS, and the suggestion here was met with people thinking, as I did, that you were proposing a provincial campaign for this mod. Unless you are prepared to undertake the making of this mod yourself, I believe that this will always remain an idea, as Zenith has expressed explicitly that in his eyes that the mod is complete. I guess what I am saying is that if you believe that this is a worthwhile idea, you should pursue it. Fight for your beliefs, rather than becoming defensive with a little bit of borderline negative feedback. But most of all, In think that my opinion is completely reflected in this emoticon -

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolos View Post
    That was the longest most awkward silence that this forum has ever endured I do not count muself as insulted, I was merely supplying feedback, which I admit might come across as much more harsh in written text than if I was speaking to you face to face I believe that the only way to speak your mind online and not sound like a total A*****ole is to put smiley faces at the end of all your sentances but then again, maybe it is because my mind is always more objective than most when I know I am not speaking to ones face

Spyros, you are very bold for placing your idea here with such volume and detail, even if it is not written by yourself I believe that many found that your lazyness stood out more than your suggestion. Don't get me wrong, this mod would be great on it's own but it does not fit in with Arestiea, and definatly should have been posted in "wips ideas and proposals" rather than on the forum for an established and completed mod

It is a good concept, but it is also well covered in other MODS, and the suggestion here was met with people thinking, as I did, that you were proposing a provincial campaign for this mod. Unless you are prepared to undertake the making of this mod yourself, I believe that this will always remain an idea, as Zenith has expressed explicitly that in his eyes that the mod is complete. I guess what I am saying is that if you believe that this is a worthwhile idea, you should pursue it. Fight for your beliefs, rather than becoming defensive with a little bit of borderline negative feedback. But most of all, In think that my opinion is completely reflected in this emoticon -
    Nikolos IAM NOT A MODER AND I DONT KNOW ABOUT MODING i have write SOMETHING good or bad DOESNT MATER and THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Yeah, this thread is closed.