Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird cartoonish crown...

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: Weird cartoonish crown...

Makes me wonder - maybe the Persians actually invented the stereotypical crown of the feudal king?

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

That's kind of obvious. I can't find it anywhere right now but I remember something that the crown actually finds it origin in Zoroastrianism/Mazdaism. It has something to do with the sun, and Mithras, but I forgot the details. I might be wrong, however, as I can't find anything about it on a quick search on google.

How on earth did it end up in medieval Europe?

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

The Roman Empire, via the mystery cults of the east the legionaries brought back in the imperial period. But again, I might be wrong. When I can find the time and energy I'll see if I can verify.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinan View Post
    The Roman Empire, via the mystery cults of the east the legionaries brought back in the imperial period. But again, I might be wrong. When I can find the time and energy I'll see if I can verify.
    Mystery cults from the east? Isn't that a line from 300?

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Its a Russian Conspiracy to annoy you.

/This is a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Well, no. Russian crowns were very different. Muscovite knyaz wore a round, decorated fur cap with a cross in the centre.
    Kinda like these.
    Last edited by Blatta Optima Maxima; September 14, 2011 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinan View Post
    That's kind of obvious. I can't find it anywhere right now but I remember something that the crown actually finds it origin in Zoroastrianism/Mazdaism. It has something to do with the sun, and Mithras, but I forgot the details. I might be wrong, however, as I can't find anything about it on a quick search on google.
    The crown is supposed to symbolize radiance of the sun or other celestial bodies, you can see how it in the iconography of Sol Invictus, the unconquerable sun, it was transferred to Jesus Christ eventually.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    Another question - why is the king wearing bronze scale rather than iron/steel which was worn by even by the lowly infantry?
    During this time period, metalworking wasn't quite as advanced as it was , say, a millennium later. However, for a very long time, bronze was considered a superior material for armor than iron was because :

1. until more advanced techniques were developed, iron could not be made as brittle as bronze.

2. Bronze could be cold-worked and didn't need to be heated up to be molded into different shapes, once formed into sheets, metalworkers could put it around a form and start hammering.

3. Iron rusted and deteriorated rather quickly (unless coated in another material such as copper or brass; Usually, we see this in the construction of those late Persian banded arm and leg guards).

Anyway, the fact remains, iron equipment was not quite as durable or weather-resistant. This is why (generally) the archaeological finds from both this era and the later hellenistic era tend to have bronze artifacts more frequently than iron artifacts- Bronze equipment could be passed down for generations, whereas the Iron equipment would be commonly melted back down and re-worked due to corrosion and other environmental factors.

Lastly, Bronze is considered the material for armor for those of high status or position, because iron was more common and more cheaply available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12