Thread: The My Little Pony Thread

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: The My Little Pony Thread

Quote Originally Posted by scutarilegion View Post
    So you all are saying that earth ponies don't have any abilities that the pegasi and unicorns cannot have, while still lacking the capability to access their abilities. So in other words, the earth ponies are only there to fill place of a low caste of slaves, that can be looked down upon by the other groups. And that they are brainwashed to think that this is all okay

Earth pony can't be intelligent, but an unicorn can be physically hard-working?

Didn't they establish it in the show, that all the groups are equals?

The earth ponies have better base physical strength and stronger connection to nature, that an average pegasus or unicorn cannot match. This is in the canon.
    I don't look down on Earth ponies for not having those added abilities. They are a successful species on their own who could easily survive without the other two groups.

They fill their nix and do it superbly, what is wrong with that? SO they can't fly, why would they need to? cast spell? They can survive without that!

Implying that there is a disadvantage is discriminating, same thing that happened with derpy.
    AJ is one of my fav ponies, so I don't take kindly to that.

~Lyra

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by • Lyra • View Post

I don't look down on Earth ponies for not having those added abilities. They are a successful species on their own who could easily survive without the other two groups.

They fill their nix and do it superbly, what is wrong with that? SO they can't fly, why would they need to? cast spell? They can survive without that!

Implying that there is a disadvantage is discriminating, same thing that happened with derpy.
    AJ is one of my fav ponies, so I don't take kindly to that.

~Lyra
    But then you're saying, that Pegasi and Unicorns can do all that, and more. Why does then the society in Equestria need earth ponies? If the Pegasi and Unicorns could farm, they wouldn't have needed the earth ponies to make them food in the pre-Equestrian time.

The Equestrian society is such, that all the pony groups need each other to thrive. The earth ponies would have the best chance of surviving on their own, but without the Pegasi they would be at the mercy of wild weather, and without unicorns they would be technologically stagnated.

I wan't implying about disadvantages. I was pointing out, what I saw in your and others comments.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

So you all are saying that earth ponies don't have any abilities that the pegasi and unicorns cannot have, while still lacking the capability to access their abilities. So in other words, the earth ponies are only there to fill place of a low caste of slaves, that can be looked down upon by the other groups. And that they are brainwashed to think that this is all okay

Earth pony can't be intelligent, but an unicorn can be physically hard-working?

Didn't they establish it in the show, that all the groups are equals?

The earth ponies have better base physical strength and stronger connection to nature, that an average pegasus or unicorn cannot match. This is in the canon.

If the earth ponies don't have special ability separate from the other groups, then they wont need to exist, and everyone should be either pegasi or unicorn.

That's exactly like saying that only Assian people can be smart.

Unicorns are the only ones that can do magic. Pegasi are the only ones that can fly.

Earth ponies can do neither. That doesn't make them stupid.

They aren't all farmers. Just like not all unicorns are magic, scholars.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

But then you're saying, that Pegasi and Unicorns can do all that, and more. Why does then the society in Equestria need earth ponies? If the Pegasi and Unicorns could farm, they wouldn't have needed the earth ponies to make them food in the pre-Equestrian time.

The Equestrian society is such, that all the pony groups need each other to thrive. The earth ponies would have the best chance of surviving on their own, but without the Pegasi they would be at the mercy of wild weather, and without unicorns they would be technologically stagnated.

I wan't implying about disadvantages. I was pointing out, what I saw in your and others comments.
    They are there because they exist. There are no genocides (ponycides?) in equestria as far as I know. There's no reason they shouldn't exist. And, to me, Earth ponies move the pony civilization: founding colonies and towns to where therein unicorns and pegasi flock. They are the bread and butter of Equestria by the simple fact that they can't do the things the pegasi and uncicorns do, so they do what they can do best within their limits (which is pretty damn good).

And in my head canon Earth ponies came first and somehow wings and horns developed... but that's just me... (well, also a great fault of Timur and his fic, which hopefully y'all get to read!)

~Lyra

That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

^this.

I would type more, but I'm on a kindle, and its too hard.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

The All Mighty Muffin Queen will now speak.

I completely agree with scutari.
    What you guys fail to realize is that in the Heart's Warming Eve episode, each pony tribe was its own sovereign state. Which means that there were pegasi leaders, earth leaders and unicorn leaders. However I would say that these three states were in some kind of alliance (probably a trade alliance). That way each tribe could benefit from each other's specialty. If the unicorns and pegasi can do what earth ponies do then yes, the earth ponies would be useless. The pegasi and unicorns would not need the earth ponies and could have just cut them out from their alliance. The earth ponies would then not have access to great weather for growing and would not have access to the change in sunrise and sunset; and they probably would not have been able to cope and could have died off.
    Why have a three man team (with each member very much distrustful of the other) when it would be much easier to have a two man team?
    Also another few things that proves it is not about class. Who is the mayor of Ponyville? What an Earth pony? I thought they had no place in administrative duties. And were there any unicorn or pegasi stallions who pulled those snow ploughs? Most likely not. Who pulled the Mane Six's carriage in the Grand Galloping Gala episode? Earth ponies. Who pulled the train in Over a Barrel and Applejack's wagon in the Last Roundup? Earth ponies.

No, Equestria is definitely not a communist country. It is a capitalist (Applejack and Rarity are the biggest capitalists of the Mane Six). Twilight is also a capitalist as demonstrated in her birthday episode.

Indefinitely Banned

They are there because they exist. There are no genocides (ponycides?) in equestria as far as I know. There's no reason they shouldn't exist. And, to me, Earth ponies move the pony civilization: founding colonies and towns to where therein unicorns and pegasi flock. They are the bread and butter of Equestria by the simple fact that they can't do the things the pegasi and uncicorns do, so they do what they can do best within their limits (which is pretty damn good).

And in my head canon Earth ponies came first and somehow wings and horns developed... but that's just me... (well, also a great fault of Timur and his fic, which hopefully y'all get to read!)

~Lyra
    It doesn't need genocide, nature itself wipes out redundant species. Where are the other human sub-species now? Wiped out, because more advanced version of humans have come. If the earth ponies are just an earlier type of pony, from which Pegasi and unicorns are later developments, then earth ponies too shouldn't exist anymore.

But yet they do. Why? Because they have abilities, that make them necessary to exist. Abilities, that pegasi and unicorns don't have. Claiming that earth ponies don't have their own special abilities doesn't do them any justice.

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

It doesn't need genocide, nature itself wipes out redundant species. Where are the other human sub-species now? Wiped out, because more advanced version of humans have come. If the earth ponies are just an earlier type of pony, from which Pegasi and unicorns are later developments, then earth ponies too shouldn't exist anymore.

But yet they do. Why? Because they have abilities, that make them necessary to exist. Abilities, that pegasi and unicorns don't have. Claiming that earth ponies don't have their own special abilities doesn't do them any justice.
    That's their culture! Their tradition, techniques, knowledge; they are not redundant, lack of flight or magic does not make them redundant!

~Lyra

Indefinitely Banned

That's their culture! Their tradition, techniques, knowledge; they are not redundant, lack of flight or magic does not make them redundant!

~Lyra
    It's not the lack of wings or horn that would make them redundant, but the lack of special ability. If they only lack things in comparison to the others, then the earth ponies are redundant.

But as I said, they have their own special ability, and thus aren't redundant.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Me and scutari are not saying that Earth ponies can't do anything intellectual, on the contrary I have definitely acknowledged that they can. Just look at Mayor Mare, and Diamond Tiara's dad (something Rich).
    @Lyra
    The reason that it was the Earth ponies who colonized Ponyville is because the abilities of your average Earth pony makes them more suitable as farmers in comparison to unicorns or pegasi. It is because they are naturally stronger.

I know what I am about to say does not really add credibility to my argument, but in ETW, it is the Earth ponies who are the main line infantry because they are stronger and
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Later in the Grey Mare's army the Earth ponies pull cannons because they are stronger.

Like I said that bit above does not really add credibility to my argument its just to put something in another perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Derpy Hooves♘ View Post
    The All Mighty Muffin Queen will now speak.

I completely agree with scutari.
    What you guys fail to realize is that in the Heart's Warming Eve episode, each pony tribe was its own sovereign state. Which means that there were pegasi leaders, earth leaders and unicorn leaders. However I would say that these three states were in some kind of alliance (probably a trade alliance). That way each tribe could benefit from each other's specialty. If the unicorns and pegasi can do what earth ponies do then yes, the earth ponies would be useless. The pegasi and unicorns would not need the earth ponies and could have just cut them out from their alliance. The earth ponies would then not have access to great weather for growing and would not have access to the change in sunrise and sunset; and they probably would not have been able to cope and could have died off.
    Why have a three man team (with each member very much distrustful of the other) when it would be much easier to have a two man team?
    Also another few things that proves it is not about class. Who is the mayor of Ponyville? What an Earth pony? I thought they had no place in administrative duties. And were there any unicorn or pegasi stallions who pulled those snow ploughs? Most likely not. Who pulled the Mane Six's carriage in the Grand Galloping Gala episode? Earth ponies. Who pulled the train in Over a Barrel and Applejack's wagon in the Last Roundup? Earth ponies.

No, Equestria is definitely not a communist country. It is a capitalist (Applejack and Rarity are the biggest capitalists of the Mane Six). Twilight is also a capitalist as demonstrated in her birthday episode.
    No one said earth ponies couldn't be leaders!

Pegasi could be farmers, but then there would be less Pegasi to change the weather. They all band together to make use of their abilities. Unicorns lead, Pegasi manage the weather, and earth ponies farm. Its not genetic, its simply how things have played out. If there were no earth ponies, Pegasi would farm. Or unicorns.

But there are earth ponies. So, seeing as the Pegasi are busy keeping them from the harsh elements, and the unicorns are.... unicorning things, the earth ponies decided to farm.

All the groups would work fine on their own, but they wouldn't work perfectly like they do now.

Also, humans are a pretty useless species. Evolution hasn't wiped us out. Why? Because we're too smart. Same with earth ponies.

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

^THIS!

~Lyra
    Last edited by Lуra; March 18, 2012 at 08:36 AM.

Vađarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

Finaly!
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] ţví ađ međ lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi međ ólögum eyđa.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    No one said earth ponies couldn't be leaders!

Pegasi could be farmers, but then there would be less Pegasi to change the weather. They all band together to make use of their abilities. Unicorns lead, Pegasi manage the weather, and earth ponies farm. Its not genetic, its simply how things have played out. If there were no earth ponies, Pegasi would farm. Or unicorns.

But there are earth ponies. So, seeing as the Pegasi are busy keeping them from the harsh elements, and the unicorns are.... unicorning things, the earth ponies decided to farm.

All the groups would work fine on their own, but they wouldn't work perfectly like they do now.

Also, humans are a pretty useless species. Evolution hasn't wiped us out. Why? Because we're too smart. Same with earth ponies.
    No, the pegasi and unicorns cannot be farmers. You need to remember that lots of stuff in Equestria is done with magic, and so too is farming done with magic. While the Pegasi have passive magic, that allows them to walk on clouds and move them, so do earth ponies have passive magic, that allows them to cultivate land. Unicorns can use their active magic abilities to do both, but that can only be done for a short amount of time.

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

No, the pegasi and unicorns cannot be farmers. You need to remember that lots of stuff in Equestria is done with magic, and so too is farming done with magic. While the Pegasi have passive magic, that allows them to walk on clouds and move them, so do earth ponies have passive magic, that allows them to cultivate land. Unicorns can use their active magic abilities to do both, but that can only be done for a short amount of time.
    Farming is not done with magic.
    They mentioned that specifically in the WWU episode.
    There is no proof of the passive farming magic, though...

~Lyra

Indefinitely Banned

Farming is not done with magic.
    They mentioned that specifically in the WWU episode.
    There is no proof of the passive farming magic, though...

~Lyra
    It is this passive magic that is needed for farming. The Pegasi don't have it, and the unicorns cannot imbue themselves with it forever.

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

It is this passive magic that is needed for farming. The Pegasi don't have it, and the unicorns cannot imbue themselves with it forever.
    Okay, passive magic for farming...

I'm leaving it here, we won;t agree so there is not point in continuing. You're opinion is a worthy one, though but it has things that I can't agree with.

~Lyra

Indefinitely Banned

Whuut?

Indefinitely Banned

Okay, passive magic for farming.

I'm leaving it here, we won;t agree so there is not point in continuing. You're opinion is a worthy one, though but it has things that I can't agree with.

~Lyra

Not to mention, I draw these facts from canon information. (the show's creators have established this all)

So to return to my original post, there is a separate gene for the earth ponies. (that, suggested by the amount of earth ponies, is the most dominant gene)

I just want to point out (to something that I read earlier in the thread) that the pony social classes ARE racist.

Remember how the unicorns in Canterlot discriminate against Rarity for being from Ponyville? An earth pony town?

I'm not going to become involved in this though, I feel like I'd get yelled at.