First of all, I'd like to thank Darth and everyone else who've worked on the DMS for making my Shogun experience so much more fun
I have a mod proposal to make: For me, the katana samurai of shogun have been bothering me immensely ever since I first started playing. The reduced effectiveness in melee of bow samurai and the weak armor of no-dachi samurai also bother me, but that's related to how CA has balanced them in relation to katana samurai to create a very artificial unit roster. I don't like this in the game and I'd like to see a mod that alters that.
I'd want to have a mod that effectively removes katana samurai from the game and which improves bow samurai and no-dachi samurai to proper bushi fighters. Point by point I'd suggest these modifications:
- Remove katana samurai and other related katana units (like katana ronin, but not wako, katana are fitting for them) from the game.
- Improve bow samurai armor and melee abilities to make them good samurai warriors (though not so overbearing that they can frontally break yari units alone).
- Improve no-dachi armor to bring them on par with all other samurai units. This would have to include altering what models are used for them so that they will actually look good. Reduce no-dachi unit size to emphasis their small-elite-group nature.
- Slightly alter some building and clan advantages to fit. This would mean, for example, that basic sword dojo's give bow samurai a slight boost to their melee (if it doesn't do so already) and that the Shimazu katana samurai bonus now goes to improving their bow samurai.
However, I realize that we would now be left with less unit diversity. Also, it would be a shame not to put the low armor model to use. They'll just be hanging around in the files with nothing to do. So, I have some additional proposals:
- Split bow samurai and no-dachi samurai into 4 different units:
Light bow samurai
Heavy bow samurai
Light no-dachi samurai
Heavy no-dachi samurai
The light units would be the mobile units, quicker on the field, tiring slower. These would be the flankers and skirmishers. They would use the current no-dachi armor models. The heavy units would be the line units, heavy bows supporting the main line and charging in to add their weight to the melee where needed, heavy no-dachi there to charge in and break up yari formations where needed. This would give us more unit options, more variation on the battlefield and more interesting tactical choices.
What do you all think of this? I think it would really improve the battle gameplay, making bow armed samurai the good all-rounders they were in real life, removing the anachronism of using katana as main battlefield weapons and, most importantly, giving us the opportunity to field actually good looking no-dachi samurai when we want
What do you all think?
Now, this is a request since I have absolutely no experience in modding anything. However, If no-one feels like making this mod or if no-one has time, I could make an attempt at doing this myself, if I could get enough guidance and support on how to do it.
[EDIT] Damn, I forgot about sword cavalry. They'd have to be removed too. Bow cavalry armor and melee can be improved to bring them up to par (then maybe I'd actually make use of them for a change). Takeda fire cavalry could have their swords replaced with yari perhaps? With somewhat improved staying ability to make them better than normal yari cavalry.
[EDIT-2] I just realized that I had forgotten about katana hero's. These units would be more awesome if changed to being no-dachi hero's.