Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magadha (sp?)/Indians

Default Magadha (sp?)/Indians

Is it just me or are they really annoying when playing as Parsa? I'm busy with Babylon and Media (kicking their asses for the most part, they have poor quality infantry and few cavalry, but reinforcing my armies is taking a while) and for some reason they start sending huge armies (with elephants at me). I like challenging games but it seems kind of unrealistic and unbalanced as i don't think any Indian power ever expanded out of the subcontinent, although it has been invaded countless times.
    Last edited by Kitsunegari; September 10, 2011 at 10:19 PM.

Default Re: Magadha (sp?)/Indians

what are elephants like in rop? Are they godlike unstoppable forces of destruction... or is there an efficient way to deal with them?

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

Unfortunately, yes, the Indians are very annoying and unbalanced. They are basically left unchecked conquering the entire continent (what's in game of it, anyway) without opposition, and after that they send endless stacks of Elephants of Doom and Royal Archers or something against whatever lies to the west of them. It's one of the few weak points of the mod, but I sincerely hope it will get fixed in ROP 3.

Are they godlike unstoppable forces of destruction
    Yes. Especially in auto-calculate combat. When you play the combat out you can take them out by lots of arrows and javelins eventually but unfortunately I have no ambitions to become an elephant-poacher, so those battles aren't really fun to me.

other mods make them highly vulnerable to javelins... this would be a good idea for 3.0

I've had some success against the elephants with my javelin cavalry, but then they got chewed up by the powerful Indian longbows and chariot archers. I've won 3 major battles against the Magadha so far on VH but they were all "average" really pyrrhic victories, and it's really draining resources for finishing off Babylon and Media.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

magadh battle stats is fine, actually, they just need to have more upkeep cost, especially those royal guards that actually utter cheap troops

and oh, elephants upkeep are utter cheap too, compared with their performance

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

KILL THEM!!! KILL THEM WITH FIRE!!!

I know i used bridges to defeat them . Elephants go rampage on a bridge and shatter the whole Magadha Army

You know you need infantry to hold a bridge, right?

I would never suggest a bridge battle as the Persians.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post

Anusiya Spam

works on everything except Greeks in ROP

I used some basic infantry just to give a bit time for the archers to and javelins to their work .

Yah, I do the same.

And you can simply spam huge gigantic armies of doom one after another and try to lure Greeks out in the open. Then you surround and kill 3 to 4 hoplite units before your entire army dies or runs away. Then you take the next army and repeat the process. Kinda like real life.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Mind. I don't recall any Persian infantry with javelins (although the takabara peltasts should have them).

I think some cavalry has javelins , and i think i used some mercenaries .

[QUOTE]
    And you can simply spam huge gigantic armies of doom one after another and try to lure Greeks out in the open. Then you surround and kill 3 to 4 hoplite units before your entire army dies or runs away. Then you take the next army and repeat the process. Kinda like real life.
    not like the real life, the hoplites are way too slow and their flanks are weak so they will get their butts kicked by the persias mobile army in an open battle.

their only chanse is to stay in their tight mountain ways of their homeland and cover their asses were mobility don't offer much advantage .
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

Mobile army? Are you kidding?

[QUOTE=the persian Immortal;10300677]

not like the real life, the hoplites are way too slow and their flanks are weak so they will get their butts kicked by the persias mobile army in an open battle.

their only chanse is to stay in their tight mountain ways of their homeland and cover their asses were mobility don't offer much advantage .
    mobile army? I think their tactics was expandable human shields, chained together and standing in the front, and elite archers raining arrows that blot the sky black

Elite archers? First time I hear that. Most modern scholars agree they had decent archers, but far from elite. Their strength was in numbers.

Elite archers? First time I hear that. Most modern scholars agree they had decent archers, but far from elite. Their strength was in numbers.
    oh, then their archers are meat shields too?

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

mobile army? I think their tactics was expandable human shields, chained together and standing in the front, and elite archers raining arrows that blot the sky black
    Please, don't listen to Cocroach concerning the Persian army.

...Says the guy who agrees with me on most of it (apart from the human meatshield part, which I am sure I will batter into him in some time).

I also think she was trolling. But even then she was right.

The Persians had two strengths - numbers and cataphracts. They never got around to properly using the latter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast