Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Best Fighter in Westeros

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Default Re: Best Fighter in Westeros

Barriston Vs Jamie, at the age they both are in Game of Thrones, who would win?

Jaime has his hand, I assume? I think that would be a close fight. I would like to think that Barristan's experience and patience would win out over youth and speed, bu that isn't always the case. If I was betting money I'd put it on Barristan, but B did call Jaime one of the most naturally gifted swordsmen he had seen in his life, and he would certainly put up a fight.
    Spoiler for HOTSEATS
    House Martell in This is a Hotseat
    House Arryn in This is Not a Hotseat
    House Stark in This is Most Definitely a Hotseat
    House Stannis in Hotseat: A Feast for Crows
    House Joffrey in The Requested Hotseat

Tough indeed- now that would be something to see! Would be almost as awesome as Barristan against Arthur Dayne minus Dawn. If I was betting, I'd also put money on Barristan- not just because of experience, but because he's blindingly fast as well. Jaime would have a really hard time of it, and would likely be on the defensive until Barristan got tired, or until he found an opportunity to change the tide of the duel.
    Co-Leader of BRITANNIAE: INVASIO SAXONUM

Barristan all the way, nothing seems to stop him! He's extremely fast, and very smart. His experience would give him an edge over Jaime, even though Jaime would have better stamina and possibly just pure strength.

I fear the day when GRRM kills off Ser Barristan...........the people of this thread will wail in anguish

Jamie Lannister For me.

I'd pick Jamie over Barristan as well. It kind of piss me off that Martin makes old characters agile as 20 years old, I understand that it is fantasy book but still Oh and those unnaturally big body builder muscles built just by swining sword yeah

Oddly enough, the '60-something-to-20-year-old' comparison is exactly one which I brought up earlier. I'll mention it once, I'll mention it again, look up Sifu Al Dacascos on youtube- the guy is 69 now if I remember correctly, and moves faster than almost anyone else I've seen. Sure, extreme speed around this age seems a little unlikely, but it's not impossible. Plus, swords and armour are heavy! Barristan doesn't use Valyrian steel weaponry, and he wore armour all day, every day while he was in the Kingsguard. Have you tried wearing plate armour? That stuff is so heavy it isn't even funny, wear it often enough and a 60-something year old is absolutely going to have 'unnaturally big body builder muscles'.

I really dislike TMA and don't want to create a quarrel here But pair him with any average proffesional fighter and he will be mopped around like a sack of potatoes And when you are around 60 your reflexes are off even if you are fast. Also just wearing plate armor won't make you big and ripped as hell. Yes you will be strong but in my opinion it's something like bear mode You will be strong, have muscles but nothing close how Martin describe it.
    Unless First Men, Andals, Valyrians and Rhyonars were blessed with super duper genetics by their gods Then yeah all my arguments would be invalid

Hey, no worries- true enough I suppose, but then again, I don't suppose G.R.R.M looked at all these different angles when writing. In any case, it seems we all agree, Barristan is awesome, and his age only makes him more awesome, as it makes him just completely ridiculous.

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

Hm, that'd be an tough nut... I mean Jamie is an extremly dangerous fighter, but Barristan is that aswell, legendary even... I'd put my money on Barristan and curse the gods if he lost though
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial

Im backing Jamie all the way, Barristan's fight with that pit fighter didnt strike me as showing any of his legendary speed or skill, and thats the most recent fight we've seen him in. Barrastan is kick ass, but he's gettin old!

Now, it seems here we have narrowed it down to the two most, focused on fighters in Westeros I would say. Now out of these two, I would definetely say Barristan, hands down, he may be 60, however, Jaime who still had his hand, although he was tired, practically lost to Brienne of Tarth. Now, Barristan has the experience, and skills to back up his argument. However I think that in all of Westeros there is definetely a better fighter then Barristan or Jaime. Possibly one of the Mereen Pit Fighters, liek Strong Belwas, who seemed very impressive, because of the amount of fights he won and how handily he defeated a mounted swordsman. Or maybe another pit fighter, like Bonebreaker or the Spotted Cat. Which is why I propose some one either e-mail George R.R. Martin or go to a Q&A at one of his tours.

Quote Originally Posted by martin616 View Post
    House Dondarrion owns Tullys by that theory

OOC: I just realised Beric Dondarrion died 7 times before staying dead, is it coincidence that there is also 7 faces to his (and most of Westeros') god?

Spoilers for anyone who has not read all of the books

1. Impaled on a lance by Ser Gregor Clegane.
    2. Smashed with a mace on the side of the head by Ser Burton Crakehall.
    3. Hanged at Rushing Falls by Ser Amory Lorch.
    4. Stabbed in the eye with a dirk by Ser Gregor Clegane.
    5. Killed by an archer of the Brave Companions sellsword company.
    6. Killed by Sandor Clegane in a trial by combat.
    7. Gave up his lifeforce to resurrect Catelyn Tully.

For number one, if your referring to the Hand's Tourney at King's Landing that was not Beric Dondarrion that was some random young kid without a gorget.

As well to what I said earlier, Jaime and Barristan are certainly depicted as the two best because their achievements have been shown so much, George R.R. Martin may have meant it like that, or maybe it is just because they are so essential to the storyline. Maybe Mance Rayder, possibly Victarion Greyjoy, who sounds like a beast in armour. You can really just say Jaime and Barristan because there is enough proof, you do not know enough about Syrio Forel or Mance Rayder to rightfully make a well-informed decision.
    Last edited by Toho; March 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noob_schoolbus View Post
    Jaime who still had his hand, although he was tired, practically lost to Brienne of Tarth.
    Jaime was in chains! and he was winning!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibloke View Post
    Jaime was in chains! and he was winning!
    Plus he was half starved, feverish and exhaused, not just 'tired'

Kiliç Alì's Avatar Domesticus
    Artifex

Also Brienne was a woman.
    He felt things were not right and attecked her furiously IIRC. He did not expect such resistance.

But Barristan is an old man, and Jaime, before some facts, wasn't mature at the point of wait him to be tired. Maybe later.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Jaime mind after maiming in his body before the maiming would have won IMHO

Member of the Imperial House of Hader, proud client of The only and sole Ferrit

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by noob_schoolbus View Post
    NFor number one, if your referring to the Hand's Tourney at King's Landing that was not Beric Dondarrion that was some random young kid without a gorget.
    1: That guy was not random, he was Jon Arryn's squire and probably killed to keep the poison a secret.

2: After he was sent out to take Gregore Clegane into custody Beric was ambushed by Clegane and impaled with a lance, his squire at the time stated he stood over Beric's body for the duration of the battle to protect him.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

2: After he was sent out to take Gregore Clegane into custody Beric was ambushed by Clegane and impaled with a lance, his squire at the time stated he stood over Beric's body for the duration of the battle to protect him.
    The heir to Starfall, w/e was his name was his squire at that time.

MagUidir's Avatar Biarchus
    a little bit every where. from Tennessee but now Live in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoniusz View Post
    The heir to Starfall, w/e was his name was his squire at that time.
    Edric Dayne?

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

What happened to him? I see in him the next sword of the morning.