Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Best Fighter in Westeros

Rilsaur's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Best Fighter in Westeros

I'm thinking either Barriston Selmy or Jaime Lannister when he had both hands.
    Areo Hotah? maaaayyyybe. He's a great warrior, to be sure, but he hasn't crossed paths with either of those two supposed deadliest men in Westeros.
    O merciful God, I have such need of Your mercy now. Not for myself, but for my knights, for this is truly their hour of need. Deliver them from their trials ahead and I will pay You a thousand fold with any sacrifice You ask of me. And if in Your wisdom, You should determine that sacrifice must be my life for theirs; so that they can once again taste the freedom that is so long been denied to them, I will gladly make that covenant. My death will have a purpose. I ask no more than that.

Samwell Tarly, obviously. You don't get a nickname like "Slayer" for being a fat sissy.

They dont have to still be living do they? I mean obviously the old old dogs are excluded but Eddard Stark for example wasnt too shabby. Him and Howland Reed did survive an encounter with Dayne, Hightower and The Prince of Dorne(name?). That in itself is a huge accomplishment, but actually killing them, which he did(with help), is amazing.

In the show he gave Jaime everything he could handle and I imagine it's no coincidence they had Jaime's face show a little fear as the fight went on. Barriston also spoke very highly of him as a warrior. He also swung that giant sword, Ice, with ease and accuracy.

If being alive is a requirement/current circumstances are a factor then that excludes so many(Ned, Jaime, The Hound, Loras, Drogo, The giant formally known as The Mountain(we havent seen Zombie mountain fight).
    If I gotta choose a still living person i'd vote.....Areo Hotah. Maybe Victarion. There's so few healthy males left that we have seen in action....it's prolly one of the Knights of the Vale since there best soldiers are still fresh.
    Last edited by donions; September 10, 2011 at 06:24 PM.

Actually, it was Dayne, Hightower, and Oswell Whent he survived against. Lewyn was already wounded at the Battle of the Trident and was killed after a long duel with Lyn Corbray.

Also, might I add Jon Connington to the list? And who can forget Terrence and Simon Toyne?

I would say maybe Ned and Robert in their younger years.

Master Chief is the best....

How has no one mentioned Lothar Brune? Dude hacked down like a million guys on the Blackwater. Killed so many of that one house that they named him 'Apple-Eater'. Him or Drogo. They'd send "Pretty Man" Jaime to an early grave.

Cazac's Avatar Tiro

Also Lord Tarly, Sam's father seems to have quite the nasty repute with his valyrian blade. Even Kevan, who has seen some battles in his lifetime seems to have quite a bit of fear when it comes to Tarly, and not for his political prowess.

Maybe Belwas and Naharis though i don't know how well they'd far against westerosi armored opponents.

@Timur - Thanks for the input, i was not aware of those facts.

BTW do you guys think that Lorras will actually make it?

Timur Amir's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Cazac View Post

BTW do you guys think that Lorras will actually make it?
    Well, boiling oil does some pretty nasty things to you, should you survive, so I doubt he will ever be his old self physically, and especially mentally (very painful). I think he will have a part to play, especially with his newfound fame as the Hero of Dragonstone, and that Cersei was wrong to count him among the dead, but that he won't exactly be the man he was when he left.

Cazac's Avatar Tiro

So just another cripple Martin seems to be so fond of ey?

Cazac's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by TouchyAndalou View Post
    Samwell Tarly, obviously. You don't get a nickname like "Slayer" for being a fat sissy.
    Simply awesome, rep for this one.

Barristan Semly

"Even now i can cut through the five of you like carving a cake"....And he doesnt seem the type that cant backup his words.

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

See... The list continues! My point is that by simply going "He! Him! Or wait, THAT GUY!", doesn't cut it. This is abit like an penis measuring contest between the world's spec/black-ops units. Theyre all friggin' deadly when it comes to a fight, and to be honest, theyres not much difference between them. The only way this could ever be decided were if all these fighters met eachother once in a duel on a firm, flat ground, all carrying their "normal" equipment. As of now, there's really no way of saying who is/was the best, without it being put TO THE TEST...

Although clearly, Samwell Tarly would win easily. They'd just see him enter the ring, piss their pants and roll on the ground with laughter as he walks up and stabs them with his obsidian dagger. Sick bastard.
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial

Cazac's Avatar Tiro

It's pretty clear for me. Just have a whiff of the White Book:

THE WHITE BOOK

• Ser Barristan of House Selmy. Firstborn son of Ser Lyonel Selmy of Harvest Hall. Served as squire to Ser Manfred Swann.
    • Named “the Bold” in his 10th year, when he donned borrowed armor to appear as a mystery knight in the tourney at Blackhaven, where he was defeated and unmasked by Duncan, Prince of Dragonflies.
    • Knighted in his 16th year by King Aegon V Targaryen, after performing great feats of prowess as a mystery knight in the winter tourney at King’s Landing, defeating Prince Duncan the Small and Ser Duncan the Tall, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.
    • Slew Maelys the Monstrous, last of the Blackfyre Pretenders, in single combat during the War of the Ninepenny Kings.
    • Defeated Lormelle Long Lance and Cedrik Storm, the Bastard of Bronzegate.
    • Named to the Kingsguard in his 23rd year, by Lord Commander Ser Gerold Hightower.
    • Defended the passage against all challengers in the tourney of the Silver Bridge.
    • Victor in the mêlée at Maidenpool.
    • Brought King Aerys II to safety during the Defiance of Duskendale, despite an arrow wound in the chest.
    • Avenged the murder of his Sworn Brother, Ser Gwayne Gaunt.
    • Rescued Lady Jeyne Swann and her septa from the Kingswood Brotherhood, defeating Simon Toyne and the Smiling Knight, and slaying the former.
    • In the Oldtown tourney, defeated and unmasked the mystery knight Blackshield, revealing him as the Bastard of Uplands.
    • Sole champion of Lord Steffon’s tourney at Storm’s End, where at he unhorsed Lord Robert Baratheon, Prince Oberyn Martell, Lord Leyton Hightower, Lord Jon Connington, Lord Jason Mallister, and Prince Rhaegar Targaryen.
    • Wounded by arrow, spear, and sword at the Battle of the Trident whilst fighting beside his Sworn Brothers and Rhaegar Prince of Dragonstone.
    • Pardoned, and named Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, by King Robert I Baratheon.
    • Served in the honor guard that brought Lady Cersei of House Lannister to King’s Landing to wed King Robert.
    • Led the attack on Old Wyk during Balon Greyjoy’s Rebellion.
    • Champion of the tourney at King’s Landing, in his 57th year.
    • Dismissed from service by King Joffrey I baratheon in his 61st year, for reasons of advanced age.

END
    Further Events:

• Thwarted an assasination attempt on Queen Daenerys Targaryen by the Sorrowful Men.
    • Thwarted a second assassination attempt on Queen Daenerys Targaryen by Mero the Titan's Bastard.
    • Pardoned by Queen Daenerys Targaryen for serving under King Robert I Baratheon, and named Lord Commander of her Queensguard.
    • Challenged a dragon to single combat in an attempt to save Queen Daenerys Targaryen.
    • Slew the celebrated Meereenese pit fighter Krazz in single combat at age 63(?).
    • Still alive after 5 books by George R. R. Martin... this a pretty impressive feat on its own considering....

Yep I would say Barristan Selmy it is

rules all

i like Bronn ,cause he's cunning ,swift and strong ...knows how and when to fight ,even against tough odds and he's "street wise" ...no burdens as "honor" or "style" or "berserkerage" etc etc ...just pure old survival instinct ...he may not be the best in something (like strength or technique) but he's an "all around" talent and i think in mr. martin's immaginary world he could beat everyone and be the last man standing

Quote Originally Posted by Ghardison View Post
    Well i was talking about if everyone was wearing their full armor and weapons they normally use in battle so syrio vs Gregor would be bad cause syrio would have a hard time getting through the armor. Btw he lost to Trant who was weaing less armor and wasnt as good as a fight as clegane.

I personally think that it is either Garlan, one of the Cleganes, robert in his youth, rhaegar or Possibly Bronn if he had his back to the wall.
    Syrio's weapon against trant was a piece of wood with lead in it, without armor of any kind. Don't forget that his "weapon" broke during the battle,

Personally I think Syrio would have dominated Trant if he actually had his sword. (I'm pretty sure he actually got the practice sword right into the visor of one of the Lannister soldiers)

Quote Originally Posted by Cazac View Post
    It's pretty clear for me. Just have a whiff of the White Book:

THE WHITE BOOK

• Ser Barristan of House Selmy. Firstborn son of Ser Lyonel Selmy of Harvest Hall. Served as squire to Ser Manfred Swann.
    • Named “the Bold” in his 10th year, when he donned borrowed armor to appear as a mystery knight in the tourney at Blackhaven, where he was defeated and unmasked by Duncan, Prince of Dragonflies.
    • Knighted in his 16th year by King Aegon V Targaryen, after performing great feats of prowess as a mystery knight in the winter tourney at King’s Landing, defeating Prince Duncan the Small and Ser Duncan the Tall, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.
    • Slew Maelys the Monstrous, last of the Blackfyre Pretenders, in single combat during the War of the Ninepenny Kings.
    • Defeated Lormelle Long Lance and Cedrik Storm, the Bastard of Bronzegate.
    • Named to the Kingsguard in his 23rd year, by Lord Commander Ser Gerold Hightower.
    • Defended the passage against all challengers in the tourney of the Silver Bridge.
    • Victor in the mêlée at Maidenpool.
    • Brought King Aerys II to safety during the Defiance of Duskendale, despite an arrow wound in the chest.
    • Avenged the murder of his Sworn Brother, Ser Gwayne Gaunt.
    • Rescued Lady Jeyne Swann and her septa from the Kingswood Brotherhood, defeating Simon Toyne and the Smiling Knight, and slaying the former.
    • In the Oldtown tourney, defeated and unmasked the mystery knight Blackshield, revealing him as the Bastard of Uplands.
    • Sole champion of Lord Steffon’s tourney at Storm’s End, where at he unhorsed Lord Robert Baratheon, Prince Oberyn Martell, Lord Leyton Hightower, Lord Jon Connington, Lord Jason Mallister, and Prince Rhaegar Targaryen.
    • Wounded by arrow, spear, and sword at the Battle of the Trident whilst fighting beside his Sworn Brothers and Rhaegar Prince of Dragonstone.
    • Pardoned, and named Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, by King Robert I Baratheon.
    • Served in the honor guard that brought Lady Cersei of House Lannister to King’s Landing to wed King Robert.
    • Led the attack on Old Wyk during Balon Greyjoy’s Rebellion.
    • Champion of the tourney at King’s Landing, in his 57th year.
    • Dismissed from service by King Joffrey I baratheon in his 61st year, for reasons of advanced age.
    END
    Further Events:

• Thwarted an assasination attempt on Queen Daenerys Targaryen by the Sorrowful Men.
    • Thwarted a second assassination attempt on Queen Daenerys Targaryen by Mero the Titan's Bastard.
    • Pardoned by Queen Daenerys Targaryen for serving under King Robert I Baratheon, and named Lord Commander of her Queensguard.
    • Challenged a dragon to single combat in an attempt to save Queen Daenerys Targaryen.
    • Slew the celebrated Meereenese pit fighter Krazz in single combat at age 63(?).
    • Still alive after 5 books by George R. R. Martin... this a pretty impressive feat on its own considering....
    Are you talking about the prime of his life? If so we could add Aegon and the one Kingsguard (his title was Sword of the Dawn, related to darkstar )

Cazac's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeFTW View Post
    Are you talking about the prime of his life? If so we could add Aegon and the one Kingsguard (his title was Sword of the Dawn, related to darkstar )
    Not necessarily, he won a tourney at 57, that's pretty impressive.
    And I think you are referring to Sir Arthur Dayne - The Sword of the Morning, which was ruled out before the contest as he's not alive when the books begin.

I would say Oberyn if he was a little less cocky although i'm kind of biased.