Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Country with most brutal history

Praeses

Default Re: Country with most brutal history

Quote Originally Posted by Posantio of Umbria View Post
    ...I don't think the number of wars in Europe can place it's history above China's when it comes to brutality, especially as you see it as a collective whereas China is one (okay, very big) country. The history of individual countries in Europe can not compare to the bloodshed in China, except maybe Russia during WWII.

And The focus on this is on the excessive anyway. I don't think any country has a continuous history of brutality, I perceive this to be about which country had the most insane and brutal incidents of violence, bloodshed and oppression throughout it's history... China comes out on top if you ask me.
    Thanks for that informative post, its good to be corrected when I'm wrong. I understood the Ch'in were a bloody lot which is why I said post-220, but I was blissfully unaware of the An Lushan rebellion. The Taiping I knew of but I guess it was more typical than I thought so i will have to re-consider.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Ancient Aliens's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by intel View Post
    Your statement = Retarded
    Actually, the Kievan Rus is generally considered to be the start of Slavic Russian history...

The earlier Novgorodian Khanate was owned by Varangs, not Russians, whereas the Russians (Ruthenians) expelled the Khazars from Kiev in the early 9th century.
    Last edited by Ancient Aliens; September 18, 2011 at 09:59 PM.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens View Post
    Actually, the Kievan Rus is generally considered to be the start of Slavic Russian history...
    Russia is another one of those names like Franks and Kelts, big and smeared and smudgy in its meaning. Its sometimes used as a word that means "all your base are belong to Moscow".

Ukrainians, Great (also Black) and White (also Little) Russians all look back to the Varangian Rus as an ancestral group.

Certainly the steppes are bathed with blood, from the Carpathians to the Tien Shan and beyond.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens View Post
    ...Novgorodian Khanate....
    Principate?

Ancient Aliens's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Principate?
    Yeah, I meant to say Khazarian Khanate. The Varangian origins of the Russians are semi-legendary, by the way. I was simply illustrating the point that that Western Steppe people all share a common bond, and calling the Slavic people in the region "Russian" isn't "retarded".

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Planet Earth
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Blaze86420's Avatar Praepositus

How do you figure? For all we know a nearby galaxy can be experiencing an all out inter-galactic war as we speak.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze86420 View Post
    How do you figure? For all we know a nearby galaxy can be experiencing an all out inter-galactic war as we speak.

But we don't know their history
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Switzerland

Only for the Austrians.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Russia is another one of those names like Franks and Kelts, big and smeared and smudgy in its meaning. Its sometimes used as a word that means "all your base are belong to Moscow".

Ukrainians, Great (also Black) and White (also Little) Russians all look back to the Varangian Rus as an ancestral group.
    Those are incorrect. It's Ukraine that used to be known as Little Russia, and therefore Ukrainians as Little Russians. Red Ruthenia is another name for Galicia, which corresponds to a portion of modern Western Ukraine. White Russia is the literal translation of Belarus. Black Russia is a term that used to designate the western portion of modern Belarus.

But you are correct in that the adjective 'Russian' is blurry, as are the lines between the three main east Slavic nationalities in general.

Israel

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by ivan_the_terrible View Post
    Those are incorrect....
    D'oh! Thanks for the correction, geez I need to fact check before I post these days, my memory is dying on me.

Ancient Israel may have been brutal (that business with the Ephraimites was no joke) but surely pales beside the vengful and furious Assyrians.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    What does brutal mean? Number of deaths caused or quality of life?
    quality of deaths

Sir Pignans's Avatar The bringer of cheese.

Germany, in just over a hundred years of being a country, it's been in 3 wars, two of which were world ones.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Russia and Mongolia have MOST br00tal history IMO .
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; September 23, 2011 at 06:49 AM.

Gatsby's Avatar Punctual Romantic

In no particular order:
    -Germany; founded in war, then thrown into 2 of the bloodiest wars ever by stupid leaders.

-China; Massive famines, floods, eathquakes etc, devastating rebellions a la An Lushan and the Heavenly Kingdom, an era of colonial exloitation and stagnation, topped off by an invasion by the genocidal Japanese Empire, then one last civil war to end up with it having an incompetent Communist government.

-Ukraine; Constant invasion, complete with the genocidal Mongols, then having the misfortune of being part of the Russian Empire and it's equally oppressive and incompetent rebrand- the USSR -during this period, it suffered genocide courtesy of both Stalin and Hitler.
    You'll have more fun at a Glasgow stabbing than an Edinburgh wedding.

Under the patronage of the mighty Dante von Hespburg

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

China.

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Poland, because they always get screwed by everybody... though it's mostly not their fault. Is this considered "brutal"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

crazy_glista's Avatar Libertus

1. China

2. Russia

3. Germany

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast