Thread: About the fyrd

Default About the fyrd

Hello. I've been playing this beautiful mod for a while and although I'm enjoying it a lot I couldn't avoid thinking about how the fyrd is represented in the game and question myself about it.

First of all I must confess my limited historic knowledge and my ignorance about the fyrd itself. Saying this, I would like to ask if the fyrd was something so special and unique that it demands a different type of recruiting. I have the impression that similar ways of calling the people to arms should exist in many kingdoms during the ancient and medieval ages. Am I wrong?

Secondly, I think the best way of represent this kind of levied troops is the settlement free upkeeping. I see the free upkeeping a good representation of the manpower of the region. Troops not listed permanently (so the free upkeep). People working their lands or jobs in peace time that can be raised by the region when needed. Giving this units the free upkeep atribute in settlement would be one side of the coin. The other one would be giving them high upkeeping cost, so if you take them out of the settlement and use them to make war you would notice soon the high economic cost of people not labouring.

I would love to know your thoughts about this idea. And thanks for reading.

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: About the fyrd

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    Main information about the game and some important facts:
    About the Fyrd:
    The Fyrd was solved with mercenary. This means that only the Saxon factions are able to rent mercenary which is cheap to hire but expensive to sustain.
    Fyrd's units:
    Hundradeflocc - Missile/Light, poor units (javelin+axe)
    Geoguthas - Spear/Light (spear+shield)
    Ceorlwerod - Infantry/Heavy (sword+shield)
    And here a Fyrd's thread:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=384143

Sorry for opening a new thread. Do you one me to remove this and post this in the existing one?

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by jeanlannes View Post
    Sorry for opening a new thread. Do you one me to remove this and post this in the existing one?
    No problem mate, this is very old stuff.