Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DRAGONDAWN: LORE Q&A

Default Re: LORE QUESTIONS, ANSWERS AND REQUESTS

Is this in anyway based off of Skyrim or Elder Scrolls?

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

No.

Sorry Dragonborn is exactley the term used in the Elder Scrolls for someone who was blessed with being able to learn and speak the Dragon language, and asorb Dragon's souls. Sorry seemed to much a considence.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Hehe, it's ok.

As far as I know, Squeaks came up with the name years ago (before Elder Scrolls even existed). I know at the very least that she had the name over two years ago (that's when I joined), but I'm sure she had the name in her head long before that.

I am a little nervous abouth all this talk related to everyone living on a living dragon that could eventually fly away. So if/when it wakes up every beeing living on it will just die or will they keep living there while it flies through space?
    Also will this in any way influence what happens in the actual gameplay/campaign or is it just lore to delive into without any ramafications for gameplay?
    I dont mean to sound negative in any way, its very creative actually, its just i have a avid fear of my empire crumbling to dust. I want it to live forever and i now fear that it will all be for naught when the dragon wakes up. Hehe.

I was curious is there an undead faction in this?

"In a man to man fight the winner is he with one more bullet in his clip."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

"Suffer not the Witch to live, nor the Heretic to spread his lies!"

Squeaks's Avatar More full of whinging

Quote Originally Posted by skynet464 View Post
    The Chitknen sound a lot like skaven(a faction of evil rat men in warhammer fantasy). Is that where you got the idea from?
    The idea of rat-men isn't a new one, even given GWs adoption of them as a faction in Warhammer. I would suppose the thought of them has been in my mind, but I know nothing of the deatils of the Skaven themselves....in fact, when I started doing this 11 years ago, I stopped reading other peoples' stuff so I wasn't influenced as much by it, but you can't not have broad ideas like a faction type without having drawn something from other people, even if you don't realise it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobalugee1940 View Post
    Sorry Dragonborn is exactley the term used in the Elder Scrolls for someone who was blessed with being able to learn and speak the Dragon language, and asorb Dragon's souls. Sorry seemed to much a considence.
    Sure thing. I've played it now (great game!), but the similarities aren't really there at all. They have a great story line for Skyrim, but there's no resemblance.

Quote Originally Posted by Malanthor View Post
    I am a little nervous abouth all this talk related to everyone living on a living dragon that could eventually fly away. So if/when it wakes up every beeing living on it will just die or will they keep living there while it flies through space?
    It's funny you should mention this - when I began writing it, I did actually look into the world's future (for continuity and all sorts), and it doesn't awaken for a LONG time...the idea was that the brain is under the northern ice caps, so, when they melt (due to disasters), the dragon wakes and flies off...the world is in such bad shape on the surface that the ice caps melt and then much of the life on it dies...but in this case, the races left have managed to get to space travel and stuff (which is why the planet is suffering), so what's left is preserved....of course, there are millions of these worlds, so when, in others, the dragon wakes 'early', the life on it is partially preserved, as it maintains it's atmosphere, despite massive physical damage to it's surface.

Also will this in any way influence what happens in the actual gameplay/campaign or is it just lore to delive into without any ramafications for gameplay?
    There won't be any effect on gameplay, unless the Cthonae win...

I dont mean to sound negative in any way, its very creative actually, its just i have a avid fear of my empire crumbling to dust. I want it to live forever and i now fear that it will all be for naught when the dragon wakes up. Hehe.
    Naw. You have thousands of years as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathedralsquares View Post
    I was curious is there an undead faction in this?
    Not exactly. There is the Abyss, which can pop through occasionally - when it does, the abyssal forces meld bodies from the living or dead tissue of sentients, so their forms are created from the dead, but it's not necromantic in the skeleton etc way....however, there IS the Yaga Dai too, who will feature only as a small part of the Iryn Thaan faction. They are Eidolon, or the manifestation of the deadpool, but they're certainly not skeletons and zombies and stuff....we also have the Haladin/Cimarai, who use blood magic, which gives them powers, but that is not vampiric or necromantic either. Ask away if you want to know more!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    Sure thing. I've played it now (great game!), but the similarities aren't really there at all. They have a great story line for Skyrim, but there's no resemblance.
    In their tongue she is Dovahkiin - Dragonborn!

Dovahkiin Dovahkiin
    Naal ok zin los vahriin
    wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal
    ahrk fin norok paal graan
    fod nust hon zindro zaan
    Dovahkiin fah hin kogaan mu draal
    Last edited by Toho; January 16, 2012 at 09:45 AM.

Tiro

So what confused, have Squeaks planned for this mod over 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Krisz87 View Post
    So what confused, have Squeaks planned for this mod over 10 years?
    Naw...I spent that time making the world up and doing all the bits for it, but I never planned the mod, as I didn't know people made them...it just sort of happened.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    Naw...I spent that time making the world up and doing all the bits for it, but I never planned the mod, as I didn't know people made them...it just sort of happened.
    That really cool.

I to started to make my own fantasy world for 3 years ago, problem is my fantasy sucks and all my good ideas always come to my when i am trying to sleep then in the morning i have forgotten about the ideas

So after 3 years i got this... "Titel Under Construction" lol

Sure...I understand the annoying thing about 3am ideas....have them ALL the time, but I gave in and took a note book to bed....annoys the hell out of your partner, but it's defo worht it, as otherwise you miss your best ideas. Remember it took me a LONG time and a hell of a lot of rewrites to get this where it is. When I look back at the stuff I started with, it really is quite odd how it got here. I get periods of utter excitement and obsessively write loads of rubbish down, then go back and actually try to make sense of it. Maps are good. I think it takes a certain type of obsessive imagination to do something like this, and a will to try NOT to follow the path of favourite characetrs and books etc etc. In places, you can't help it, but still try tomake it yours and change everything but the bits that inspired you most.

It's quite a lot of work really.

I would kill to know more about the Bandit Kingdoms Such as their relationship with neighbouring factions, and if they do actually take part in some good old fashioned banditry that we've come to know and love. (Robbing, pillaging and being a pest to the lords sort of thing)

Quote Originally Posted by Siemo View Post
    I would kill to know more about the Bandit Kingdoms Such as their relationship with neighbouring factions, and if they do actually take part in some good old fashioned banditry that we've come to know and love. (Robbing, pillaging and being a pest to the lords sort of thing)
    There's no need to go and kill anyone

I'll do a thing on them tonight or tomorrow. Keeps your eyes peeled...it'll be in the lore thread, but I'll try to remember to put a not and link in here.

Thank you! Can't wait to find out more about them, the lore around your factions is captivating

So what is the true nature of the Cthonae. Are they eldritch abominations of something else entirely

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12