Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross-examing Farnan.

Default Cross-examing Farnan.

For the sake for being orgainized, I started yet another thread. As soon as Farnan answers the following question, we will begin.

What is the difference bewteen love and lust?

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Default Re: Cross-examing Farnan.

The difference between Lust and Love is sometimes subtle and hard. The main difference is the goal of the feeling. The goal of Lust is simply sex, while the goal of Love is more than that, it is compainship. Now, that doesn't mean the desire for sex and Love are different, rather with Love you want more than just that. Also, with Love you must know the person, must enjoy their company. Lust comes simply from looking at someone and finding them sexy.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

The premise of your answer is that feelings have goals. So, the goal of the feeling of hunger is survival through feeding, the goal of the feeling of tiredness is physical and mental recovery through sleep, the goal of the feeling of sex (?) should be something equally biological, as procreation or hormonal rebalancing. Why the goal of the feeling of love is what can be described as another feeling?
    The feeling of need for companionship.

Furthermore why is it suddenly so vague?

What is the goal of the feeling of depression?

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    The premise of your answer is that feelings have goals. So, the goal of the feeling of hunger is survival through feeding, the goal of the feeling of tiredness is physical and mental recovery through sleep, the goal of the feeling of sex (?) should be something equally biological, as procreation or hormonal rebalancing. Why the goal of the feeling of love is what can be described as another feeling?
    The feeling of need for companionship.
    Companionship is not just a feeling it is a physical and social situation. Thus you won't only have the feeling, you would be in that situation. Before you ask, the goal of the feeling of companionship is to keep that situation.

Furthermore why is it suddenly so vague?
    Because the mind always searches for a deeper answer even when one does not exist.

What is the goal of the feeling of depression?
    It depends on how you view depression. According to some psychologists, depression is the result of a chemical unbalance. The goal would thus be to correct the chemical unbalance. Others believe depression is not a chemical situation, thus the goal of depression is to improve or change your situation.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

Nice.

So, the "feelings" encompass both the biological domain in the "mudpit" of insticts and that described as "social" or "spiritual", or as higher mental functions.

Is not that a valid reason to presume that it would be better to use another term for two or three different functional attributes (outcome expectations, goals, processes), than to group everything under the general category "feeling" ?

Can you please restate your question? I'm not sure of the type of answer you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan
    Can you please restate your question? I'm not sure of the type of answer you're looking for.
    Why many different things fall under the category "feelings". It looks like a blanquet category to me...

Because the human mind prefers to categorize everything into a blanket category. Unconcious drives are all categorized as feelings, like everything you learn is categorized under the term education. Both are very broad, and very blanket but it allows the human mind to organise itself. Just like a bookstore may have a fiction and non-fiction section, though they are both very broad and blanket categories. Seeing something as fiction tells you very little, except it is not real. Science Fiction and Romance novels are very different, and you have a very different goal in reading them, but they are both under the blanket category fiction.

Am I making sense?

So in short, the difference bewteen love and lust are that you wish to befriend the girl that you love, and that is not there when you are just lusting for a girl?

Tell me, does the body or the brain of the girl that you love seem to matter more the instant that you first met her?

Well that is a question I have thought of a lot. This is how I know: Its when I make her smile and talk to her, that is when I go through a natural high. Simply looking at her does not do that for me. I have also felt lust (what guy hasn't?), and the feeling is completely different.

When I first met her, she had a bullcut and was wearing a karate uniform...

...and we were around six or seven, and she was the only girl I would hang out with (at that age girls are thought as "icky," but back then she was such a tomboy that if you didn't know better you would think she was a guy(though she has changed since then)).

Tell me, have you ever felt lust for someone else? Doesn't seeing them smile also give you a natural high?

The first question: Yes, though it ends shortly after I stop seeing them.

The second question: Not the same feeling, I don't look forward everyday to talk to them, always worry about not seeing them after graduation, not addicted to talking to them and making them smile.

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

What is the purpose of these cross-examing threads?

The second question: Not the same feeling, I don't look forward everyday to talk to them, always worry about not seeing them after graduation, not addicted to talking to them and making them smile.
    Well, you still look forward to seeing all of your friends that you do not attach any sexual feels for, right? You may not feel the same afterwards, but how do you know if it is because you are letting yourself feel those things?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee1026
    Well, you still look forward to seeing all of your friends that you do not attach any sexual feels for, right? You may not feel the same afterwards, but how do you know if it is because you are letting yourself feel those things?
    That is certainly possible, yet I don't think so. The reason there is a difference is thus: I don't plan how I am going to talk to my friends I don't have such feelings for, nor do I worry about not looking bad in front of them. I don't get upset on days I don't get a chance to talk to them, and don't feel the longing to be with them. The emotions may have been made by myself, and I thought of that, but they're still there whether or not they're natural.

I just want to say this before anyone thinks it, it's not jealousy that drives me, as I only feel regret when I see her with her boyfriend, and not jealousy.

I knew I should have picked a topic that I know something more about..... But back to the discussion:

Have you felt love for just one girl? Or have it been for a few? Is there any differences bewteen those?

You can always change the subject...(hint, hint)

I'll just say this, I think I have felt this way longer than I admit, but I have always discarded it. I always thought, shes just a friend I have known for a long time I don't feel anything special, so I made up emotions for others in order to delude myself. How do I know this? I've never felt this way about anyone before, never wanted to make someone happy so much. Never felt such pain, never felt so much happiness. Never looked at such small signs, such as something she would say or do, as such omens of change.

Alright - to change the subject:

Why do you study history? It is just things that people in the past have done, is it not? It is not as if you can hope to change it in anyway.

History is the memory of humanity, and just like an individual's memory, history teaches us what not to do and what to do. Your memory tells you that touching fire will hurt you, history teaches us that hate will hurt humanity. That is just one example of how history can teach you what will hurt you. Also, your memory defines who you are, just as history defines a culture.

But the same actions do not result in the same results. Conditions do change over time.

And you said that you learn it to define what your culture are. Well then, isn't just legends enough to define who you are? Do you really need to know anything about WWII beyond "we charged their beaches and killed them and then we came home" for that purpose?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast