Thread: Has anyone been to Jamaica or knows anything about the crime

Voodo chile's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Has anyone been to Jamaica or knows anything about the crime

Was wondering. A uninformed stereotypical view of Jamaica.... A Caribbean island,Reggae and a population of laid-back island people. Quite a bit of Rastafarians.

You think it would be a peaceful place. Then i read about the incredibly high crime rate. I thought, Christ almighty, Murder? Thats not something i would have associated with the place! And i'm guessing tourists wouldn't fare too well? Cause i mean crime is probably a tourists worst nighmare/fear, especially if your the sort of person who doesnt want to stick to the 'poncy sides of town'

Why such a high murder rate?

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Has anyone been to Jamaica or knows anything about the crime

I've never been to Jamaica, but here is the US State Department's information:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1147.html

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    CRIME: Crime, including violent crime, is a serious problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston and Montego Bay. While the vast majority of crimes occur in impoverished areas, random acts of violence, such as gunfire, may occur anywhere. The primary criminal concern for tourists is becoming a victim of theft. In several cases, armed robberies of U.S. citizens have turned violent when the victims resisted handing over valuables. Crime is exacerbated by the fact that police are understaffed and ineffective. Additionally, there have been frequent allegations of police corruption. Tourists should take all necessary precautions, always pay extra attention to their surroundings when traveling, and keep windows up and doors locked while in a vehicle. Travelers should avoid walking alone, exercise special care after dark, and always avoid areas known for high crime rates.

Each year the U.S. Embassy receives several reports of sexual assaults against U.S. citizens, including a few cases of alleged sexual assaults at tourist resorts, some of which involve resort staff. It is important to realize that sexual assault allegations generally do not receive the same type of law enforcement attention in Jamaica that they would in the United States. Local law also requires the presence of the victim at each stage of the judicial process in order for a case to move forward.

U.S. citizens traveling in Jamaica should take steps to increase their personal security avoiding secluded places and traveling in groups. Don’t be afraid to ask or call out for help if you feel threatened or encounter individuals who make you feel uncomfortable. Report any suspicious activity to the U.S. Embassy, local police and, if appropriate, to the hotel’s management. As a general rule, do not leave valuables unattended or in plain view, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Take care when carrying high value items such as cameras and expensive cell phones or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street. Women's handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly.

The U.S. Embassy advises its staff to avoid inner-city areas of Kingston and other urban centers, such as those listed in the section on Safety and Security, whenever possible. Particular caution is advised after dark and in downtown Kingston and New Kingston. The U.S. Embassy also cautions U.S. citizens not to use public buses, which are often overcrowded and are a frequent venue for crime.

To enhance security in the principal resort areas, the Government of Jamaica has taken a number of steps, including assignment of special police by foot and bicycle patrols. In 2009 and 2010 a number of U.S. citizen families reported being robbed inside their resort hotel rooms while they slept. Increased vigilance is advised when staying at isolated villas and smaller establishments that may have fewer security arrangements. Some street vendors, beggars, and taxi drivers in tourist areas aggressively confront and harass tourists to buy their merchandise or employ their services. If a firm "No, thank you," does not solve the problem, visitors may wish to seek the assistance of a tourist police officer.

Illegal drug use is prevalent in some tourist areas, leading to numerous U.S. citizen arrests and incarcerations in Jamaica every year. Possession or use of marijuana or other illicit drugs is illegal in Jamaica. U.S. citizens should avoid buying, selling, holding, or taking illegal drugs under any circumstances. There is anecdotal evidence that the use of so-called date rape drugs, such as Rohypnol, has become more common at clubs and private parties. Marijuana, cocaine, heroin and other illegal narcotics are especially potent in Jamaica, and their use may lead to severe or even disastrous health consequences.
    In addition to a number of lottery and investment scams, relatives of U.S. citizens visiting Jamaica and U.S. citizens who are prisoners in Jamaica have received telephone calls from people claiming to be Jamaican police officers, other public officials, or medical professionals. The callers usually state that the visitor or prisoner has had trouble and needs financial help. In almost every case these claims are untrue. The caller insists that money should be sent by wire transfer to either themselves or a third party who will assist the visitor or prisoner, but when money is sent, it fails to reach the U.S. citizens in alleged need. U.S. citizens who receive calls such as these should never send money. The U.S. Embassy has also received reports of extortion attempts originating in Jamaica where the caller threatens the victim if they do not send a sum of money. Another financial scam reported is the ‘ Damsel in Distress ’ where a partner met over the Internet falls into a series of unfortunate events and requests money with the promise of rewards at a later date (such as an in-person meeting). Contact the American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy's Consular Section at telephone (876) 702-6000 for assistance in confirming the validity of such calls.

Don’t buy counterfeit and pirated goods, even if they are widely available. Not only are the bootlegs illegal in the United States, if you purchase them you may also be breaking local law.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Kingston did have one of the highest murder rates in the world at one point.

Ross Kemp did one of his documentary programmes on it (Well worth a watch)
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Voodo chile View Post
    Was wondering. A uninformed stereotypical view of Jamaica.... A Caribbean island,Reggae and a population of laid-back island people. Quite a bit of Rastafarians.

You think it would be a peaceful place. Then i read about the incredibly high crime rate. I thought, Christ almighty, Murder? Thats not something i would have associated with the place! And i'm guessing tourists wouldn't fare too well? Cause i mean crime is probably a tourists worst nighmare/fear, especially if your the sort of person who doesnt want to stick to the 'poncy sides of town'

Why such a high murder rate?
    Hah, peaceful? Have you ever listened to reggae? I don't mean the old roots Bob Marley stuff, I mean modern dancehall: it has some of the most horrific lyrics imaginable, stuff like 'shoot da batty boy in da head and stab dem til dey dead',
    'Head drap aff and spin like a wheel an a rifle bullit burst tru yah shield', and that's just the commercial stuff, never mind the amateur street songs.

The Caribbean is not laid back for the majority of its natives. For the tourists and expats maybe but Haiti, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico... very unpleasant places rife with poverty. Part of the reason carribean culture is so famous is cause of the massive hordes of emigrants trying to get away from what is far from a tropical paradise. I don't mean to be racist but there is a reason black countries in the New World are so bad: cause all the white colonisers moved away when the slave trade ended and the slaves where just left to fend for themselves with noone skilled enough to manage the infrastructure or develop an economy.

Sure there are resorts and an expensive hotel in downtown Kingston is not too bad, but straying away from the main roads is unthinkable: you would literally be shot on sight in the shanty towns as a white tourist.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Comes Limitis

I have an uncle who went there and stayed away from Kingston.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Voodo chile's Avatar Campidoctor

yea i've heard about dancehall and all that but i've only really listened to a bit of the roots reggae stuff.

The idea of travelling through countries like that seems pretty cool, just like the travel dvds but then you remember that you don't have a whole camera crew plus hired security guards to travel with you.

medievaldude's Avatar Senator

The people there are friendly, they do are a Social Active group displaying all sorts in their clubs, street and around. I find there country-side pretty peaceful and what not o.o

Ductus Exemplo
    Fas est et ab hoste doceri !
    He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious.
    Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley.

Imperial's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Voodo chile View Post

The idea of travelling through countries like that seems pretty cool,
    I guess I'll be hearing about you on my news stations pretty soon, eh?

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    H'shoot da batty boy in da head and stab dem til dey dead'
    Isn't that from "Welcome to Jamrock"?
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Never been there myself but one of my family members who visited said it was very dangerous.

One of the taxi drivers they had was telling them how you have to be careful whose cab you get into, because someone will let you in their cab, drive you somewhere, rob you and kill you.

Jamaica is also one of the places most offensive to gay couples in the world. So don't go there if you're gay. It's illegal and punishable by law to be gay.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.