Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numidian Diplomacy

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Numidian Diplomacy

Pro-Consul Gnaeus, and an entourage of Roman Legionaries, had travelled day and night to meet the Numidian King, Jugurtha, to ascertain why he had gathered his armies on the edge of Roman lands, travelling through the desert was not a pleasant experience, but they made good time in the blistering heat, amd had soon reached the point were Jugurtha had written to him to meet at. Gnaeus had only bought a small entourage, leaving all but 20 of his legion in defense of his lands. If Jugurtha decided to strike, there would be protection whilst he was away. He had left implicit orders, with a trusted Legate over the matter. Leaving the legion, he had sacrificed his own safety, in the event that Jugurtha struck against him. However Gnaeus believed his pro-consulate more important than his own life, and did not mind the possible consequences.
    ...treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux;
    It's all in your eyes.

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Numidian Diplomacy

In the distance Gnaeus could make out the luxurious tent, of the Numidian King, it could hardly be called a tent, as it was almost the size of a palace. Gnaeus approached the tent with his entourage, armoured Numidian guards, held watch over the entrance. Without speaking they lifted their spears for the Roman delegation to pass. Gnaeus entered the spacious tent, and walked towards the great throne which sat right in the very centre of the tent. Around the throne stood many armed guards. And sprawled over the cushions which lined the ornate seat was Jugurtha. The Numidian knew he was in the position of power here, and did not bother to acknowledge the Roman Pro-Consul.

Gnaeus decided it would be for the best if he played along with Jugurtha for now, to see what the man really wanted. Kneeling before the king, he placed his head on the cloth covered floor of the tent, and waited to be given the order to rise. As he knelt he signalled his entourage to do the same. They waited a long time for Jugurtha, and finally after keeping his guests waiting for over ten minutes in that position he yawned and finally spoke...
    It's all in your eyes.

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

After the long (perhaps intentional) wait, Jugurtha finished his business with other lesser dignitaries.

Tanned by the sun of this harsh land, Jugurtha was a fierce man to look at, strong and with keen green eyes. He wore a peaked conical helm and a flowing red cape. He was also preceded by a wild reputation of both mocking Rome and appeasing it equally;

"Romans...Romans....why am I always dealing with Romans? It surprises me how a city so greedy could grow into an empire. A city for sale and doomed to quick destruction, if it should find a buyer.

Let me guess, Proconsul, I have offended your precious city in some way as of late? Go ahead tell me how I have somehow wronged you."
    Blut und Boden

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"My Lord, i do not wish you to feel offended, i merely came to greet a great king onto Roman lands, and to inquire as to his business within our borders." Gnaeus raised his head slightly to speak these words. "After all," he continued "if theres anything i can do to help you, i shall ensure it be done, with all the resources at my disposal."
    Last edited by Dark Storm; September 07, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
    It's all in your eyes.

Jugurtha notably relaxed by the friendly demeanor of the Proconsul, but there was a quiet cunnning in his eyes;

"These are borderlands, it is hard at times to see where Numidia ends and Rome begins. I apologize if I have been to zealous in trying to catch my brother, Adherbal.

You see Proconsul, I recently was the target of a royal coup in my lands. I have a treacherous brother who sought to usurp my throne, but I discovered the plot before it was too late. Most of his supporters were slain, but a group rode east to Utica, and are probably now in your jurisdiction.

If you find Adherbal he may appeal to Rome for support but I would greatly appreciate it if you executed him swiftly or returned him to me....I would make it worth your while..."

He casually flicked through a chest of gold coin.
    Last edited by Aetius; September 08, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Blut und Boden

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"Then i am sure you made a simple mistake in crossing over, it happens to everyone. Had my brother fought against me, I wouldn't have let all the borders in the world stop me from catching him. I will ensure that this is known within the Roman Senate, some senators are a bit hot-headed when it comes to politics."

Now, Gnaeus thought, on to business.

"King Jugurtha, how much exactly is your brother worth to you? And what would be your terms on catching him."
    It's all in your eyes.

"No, there is no time to consult your Senate on these matters Proconsul. I do not think that is necessary.

Are you not given imperium to do in your province as you wish? Bocchus and I consider you our fellow King, and will treat you as such if you act like one.

So from one King to another, send riders to find Adherbal, ignore his lies and I can reward you with a sum of....

....2000 denarii, is this fair?"
    Blut und Boden

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"I have a thought Jugurtha, maybe a revision of our current trade proposal perhaps. I'm sure your brothermeans a lot to you, and you would be happier knowing he was safely back in your hands."
    It's all in your eyes.

"I have no intention of renegotiating the trade agreement I made with Proconsul Metellus, unless you can offer something in return more than the return of my brother. That tax is very profitable to me. However one resource you seem to be lacking in Rome that I could yet provide are exotic animals, perhaps that resource could be opened up? I have trade connections not only within Numidia (Lions, and Elephants) but along the routes south across the Sahara. From deep Africa there are animals that defy imagination."
    Blut und Boden

Default Re: The Proconsulate of Sicilia et Africa

A rider followed by a dozen others enters the city of Utica (capital of Africa) looking ragged and almost dead from thirst and wounds.

The leader of the group weakly introduces himself to the roman guards at the ProConsul's palace as "King Adherbal". He requests to meet the ProConsul as soon as possible.
    Blut und Boden

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"That would surely bring Rome a lot of money, so i have a suggestion. Now i'm assuming your brother has or had a lot of support in order to orchestrate a royal coup, yes? And should you trial and execute him, those supporters may plot against you, and seek to overthrow you, with much more malice than first. You would have made a martyr of your brother, and you may lose a lot of support, and i'm sure killing all those who do support him, could lead to more people getting angry, if they lost their brothers, fathers, sons. And should that continue it may bring a full on rebellion. So here is my suggestion, you abolish the tax on Roman merchants, and allow us free trade with these exotic animals, and in return, i shall ensure, that your brother is bought before Roman courts, and tried as a traitor and a usurper. And i assure you, he shall be thrown from the Tarpeian rock. The upside of this, would be that those who supported him, would have no reason to hate you, as you would have nothing to do with it. I would suggest however that to sweeten the deal you create a national day of morning for your brother, and a state ceremony, there is nothing more people love than a holiday, and a grand public festival, what do you say, Jugurtha?"
    It's all in your eyes.

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: The Proconsulate of Sicilia et Africa

A letter is promptly sent to the Pro-consul, and he informs his men he shall be back within the month, he tells them to ensure that this man is given the highest level of comfort, that they can afford, but should not under any circumstance leave the Royal palace at all. Should he start to get suspicious, he informed them that he be allowed to see the great landmarks within the city, accompanied at all times by as many retainers as possible. Should he ask why so many retainers, tell him that it is for his own security. Do not tell him were i am other than that i am on pro-consulate business, by order of the Senate
    It's all in your eyes.

Jugurtha began stroking his beard in contemplation.

"You are quite clever ProConsul, your scheme would be most beneficial to me....if I was a Roman. In Numidia we have different laws and customs. Love for me does not keep the peace in my land, no.... its fear...fear and blood.

I want to put his head on a pike and parade it throughout Numidia as a lesson to all those who defy my rule. Also ProConsul, have you thought through your scheme to its final conclusion? The supporters of Adherbal would see Rome as the enemy for killing him and cause trouble for you which would in turn cause trouble for me. No....the unrest is tearing apart my kingdom as long as Adherbal lives; and as such levying taxes is proving....difficult at best. Roman trade tariffs are my most steady stream of income. To diminish that would cause me great concern.

So you see, I have many problems, and all I ask is that you transport my brother back to Numidia as soon as possible. Let us speak no more of changing trade taxes, and let me give you a personal gift for your aid.

6 huge black Abyssinian men walk in heaving 3 chests of gold worth 3000 denarii, a "gift".

"The gold and the Abyssinian slaves are yours once Adherbal is brought to me."
    Last edited by Aetius; September 09, 2011 at 02:36 AM.
    Blut und Boden

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"I shall return to my palace at once then to find your brother, goodbye Jugurtha, i shall come again, with your brother in chains behind me" Gnaeus smiled, knelt low, then stood and backed out of the tent, not turning his back on the King
    It's all in your eyes.

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Pro-Consul Gnaeus arrived back at his pro-consulate to greet his 'Guest' they sat in the main hall, and he let the man tell his side of the story
    It's all in your eyes.

Adherbal and his men are rested when the ProConsul meets him. His expression is mixture of anxiety and happiness.

"You have no doubt met my brother by now? He will have lied to you, his ambitions are limitless. He seeks to conquer Mauretania soon and then Roman Africa.

However, some of what he likely told you was half-truth. I did indeed incite a revolt against him but his forces won and many of my supporters slain and terrorized. I had no choice but to flee to Roman lands.

But Jugurtha has not told you is that I have a legitmate claim to half the kingdom. When our father King Micipsa died, he split the kingdom between us, east and west numidia. I was supposed to rule the west, but Jugurtha imprisoned me and seized it all for himself and silences all who oppose him."

His face slowly becomes contorted with a deep rage;

"I am willing to do anything to see Jugurtha destroyed. So, I have come to ask Rome for aid. If I return to Numidia right now, I would be captured and that would be the end. However, if Rome will support my return to power with their legions, I am sure that many numidians will join with me and we can overthrow Jugurtha together.

In return, Rome can annex Jugurtha's original portion of Numidia, and I would be eternally grateful as a client king....free trade concessions, free auxiliaries. Its all yours, just help me get my revenge and my rightful place as King of Numidia."

attached map showing original division;
    Last edited by Aetius; September 09, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
    Blut und Boden

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Gnaeus thought, Jugurtha had offered him much personally, yet he did not wish for a tyrants rule, and an innocents death. "How can i be sure this is true, do you have any proof?"
    It's all in your eyes.

"My own men can confirm what I am saying and the people will rise up in support of me when I return to Numidia.

As for other proof, why do you think Jugurtha wants me dead so badly? I am a legitimate threat to him because of my bloodline and the last wishes of my father.

But in the end, it comes down to faith....choose who you must but if you cannot aid me then I would appreciate it if you would let me leave in peace. If Rome cannot help me I will travel to the court of Bocchus in Mauretania and see what he can offer me."
    Blut und Boden

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"I shall immediately inform the Senate of this, and should they see fit, i would happily support your claims. Yet until that time, i must ask you remain within the Royal palace, if Jugurthas spies see you, they shall know somethings wrong. If what you say is true, i'm sure the Senate would support you wholeheartedly." Gnaeus retired to write a letter to the Senate.
    It's all in your eyes.

PatrickR's Avatar Centenarius

Aulus Terentius Fiber arrives at his Proconsulate and immediately goes to meet with Adherbal.

'Greetings, my name is Aulus Terentius Fiber; I am a Senator of Roma and the new Proconsul and as such I thought that it would be important to meet with all important men of the area and you are the first.'
    The place, the props, the ploys.
    Debauchery, discovery,
    deceit, damnation, death... of course it plays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast