Thread: legal question

Default legal question

Hey guys, I have heard that someone put the startpos.esf file in the tutorial some how and was able to play as one of the minor factions (said they played as the shoni) but is that legal to do because of the hattori and ikko-ikki stuff. I ask this because if it isn't I would like to try this and play as a minor clan but I also heard that when trying to load up the savegame it crashes.

Default Re: legal question

Quote Originally Posted by Dwizzle View Post
    Hey guys, I have heard that someone put the startpos.esf file in the tutorial some how and was able to play as one of the minor factions (said they played as the shoni) but is that legal to do because of the hattori and ikko-ikki stuff. I ask this because if it isn't I would like to try this and play as a minor clan but I also heard that when trying to load up the savegame it crashes.
    Not sure what you mean by "legal", as there is no legality issues involved in modding your own game. At most, it breaches the EULA such that CA is no longer responsible for providing tech support if your game ceases to launch after you have modded your game, for obvious reasons. But then, when you have fan forums like this, who needs CA tech support....

There might be mods that make minor factions like the Hattori or the Ikki Ikko playable in native S2TW, using native game resources, without the DLC/bonous content, and there is not wrong with that as long as those mods do not contain DLC content (because making official DLC or bonous resources available for download to those who have not purchased these contents -would- be 'illegal').

If the mod is hosted by TWCenter, then it should be fine. This site has a policy against piracy and would not host 'illegal' content.
    Last edited by yupper; September 06, 2011 at 08:15 PM.

well I say "legal" because to my understanding it is illegal to unlock the ikko-ikko and hattori since you have to buy them (and those arnt the clans i want to play because i bought both) and that is what i have feared. But I actually tried playing as the matsuda and it played fine but when it came to loading my saved game it wouldnt load at all and then it would crash to my desktop at the loading screen. Any help based on that guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwizzle View Post
    well I say "legal" because to my understanding it is illegal to unlock the ikko-ikko and hattori since you have to buy them (and those arnt the clans i want to play because i bought both) and that is what i have feared. But I actually tried playing as the matsuda and it played fine but when it came to loading my saved game it wouldnt load at all and then it would crash to my desktop at the loading screen. Any help based on that guys?
    You'd need to supply a link to the mod. I am pretty sure there is more than one mod that makes (some) minor factions playable and they are not all done with the same level of modding expertise.

If the resource is already contained in the native game, then there is nothing 'illegal' about 'unlocking' it. It may violate the EULA but does not violate any copyright laws. Rest assured that the International Video Game Police will not be knocking on your door or sending threatening emails. But my understanding is that the DLC and the pre-order/limited edition adds additional content to the game that you would otherwise not have unless you have purchased the DLC or the limited edition version.

But since we are on the topic, does anyone know what the DLC and limited edition adds? Is it just name and stats changes for those faction units that have been made playable, or do they actually add new things like unit cards, character models and textures, etc.?
    Last edited by yupper; September 06, 2011 at 08:55 PM.

Capricornius's Avatar Civis

[CENTER]The DLC adds a new faction, new units, and the upcoming DLC adds a new campaign.
    Limited addition is the same except you get the Hattori faction.
    Last edited by Ishan; September 07, 2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: CA Bashing
    When the enemy advances, withdraw; when he stops, harass; when he tires, strike; when he retreats, pursue. ~ Mao Zedong

wolfbane751's Avatar Campidoctor

haha great pic capricornius
    but i havent played any mods that unlocked a minor faction to be playable i would like them to be able to unlock the imagawa hehe cuz i recently played shogun 1 and am in love with the imagawa right now =D

haha great pic capricornius
    but i havent played any mods that unlocked a minor faction to be playable i would like them to be able to unlock the imagawa hehe cuz i recently played shogun 1 and am in love with the imagawa right now =D
    well if I can figure out on how to load a saved game I will put minor clans such as the Imagawa and some other popular clans such as Ashikaga avaible for download and give instructions on how to do it yourself but that could take time

Quote Originally Posted by Capricornius View Post
    [CENTER]The DLC adds a new faction, new units, and the upcoming DLC adds a new campaign.
    Limited addition is the same except you get the Hattori faction.
    I have the DLC, I just don't know what it really adds that any relatively experienced modder can't....but I think your pic answers my questions
    Last edited by Ishan; September 07, 2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Not needed

well I think if I were to get this mod up and running and making some minor clans playable I think I would need to do one of 2 things. 1: I think I would have to do is delete all of the DLC content that I have (which is all of them) because so far what I have tested is that none of the new content appears when I am doing this (because I use the tutorial to be able to play any of the clans). 2: I could also somehow add the DLC content to the tutorial. But to tell you the truth I have no idea on how to do either and not sure were to start. Any help?

Hey there guys, I have done it. I was able to load a save game from the tutorial. In the next day or so I will make a new thread called "minor factions playable" or something similar and I explain how I did it too. But this is a maybe since I have only tested that part and no other parts yet but I shall. Some of the clans I may unlock is the Imagawa from shogun 1 and the ashikaga.
    Last edited by Ishan; September 07, 2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Double Post

You should always contact a site moderator or an administrator if it's a legal Question.
    No pirated content is nurtured here as it's illegal and against our site rules.

And you can't distribute\share any of the DLC content in any possible way on TWC. I'm closing this thread now if you have any further questions then please feel free to PM me.