Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Merula and Poplicola - 486AUC

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Consulate of Merula and Poplicola - 486AUC

I stand neutral. My honest wishes are that if someone is convicted, there should be no mercy at all. Money equals corruption, and some who have too much money, are usually corrupt as well. Usually. But i'm just using some basic logics here. They are not perfect, like no human is perfect.

He smiled to Strabo.

You are right, I will now concentrate on listening to the noble talk of other senators. I have nothing more to say.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"Senators, here is the display of evidence I spoke of!" Faustus returned from the Rostra, outside the cries of Plebeians and Patricians alike could be heard, all calling for justice. Faustus brought the man into the Curia to give evidence before the Curia directly so no one could be "mislead". "Praetor Scaeva had these men intimidate the witness! They abused her, they threatened her family! They threatened her! He even did it himself! I was a former business partner...he threw me out after I spoke against him! I have proof of a letter stating that my disapproval would be met with severe consequences!" The man bellowed, he wasn't finished just yet. "Prior to me being thrown out he paid off several influential judges lawyers and court officials and he threatened their families! This man must be stopped! He is a monster to the Republic...he seeks to destroy the Republic and replace himself as REX!" The man spoke almost nearly what he said outside to the people and it was Faustus who finished off with what he said at the end. "Senators that are around...anyone who votes no to this, anyone who opposes justice will be seen as going against my duties as protector of the People. It will be met with serious consequences." Death was the consequence that anyone who opposed him would be met with.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

This... is grave. To see such corruption in such a high office brings dread to my heart. Is there truly such a poison in the lifeblood of our good Republic? I have seen the horrors of war, and how a disease can burn its way through a city, but nothing I have ever experienced can hold a torch to this affront of Roman virtue. Go then, tribune. See justice done, and clean our Republic of this filth.

High Flying Dwarf's Avatar Libertus

Marcus stands, murmurs can be heard around the Curia.

"Friend senators! I am sure none of you can deny the severity of the allegations at hand, and in this desperate time we cannot afford to have corruption creep into our great republic. I support the Tribune in investigating the accused of bribery and as Praetor elect will begin the process as soon as possible!"
    I JUST WANTED TO GO INTO SPACE!
    You Are The Senate

Marcus Sergius Lucanus, 34, Patrician

Corruption? You accuse Scaeva of corruption! Look at what stands before you, a Tribune of the Plebs using his position to force his will on Rome! This is the work of a tyrant, a king! I will not allow this, the Gods will not allow this!

I am leaving for Athens, if any of you "noble Senetors" have a spine you'll follow me, the rest of you can rot in your own bile and greed!

With that Aulus storms out.
    Last edited by War lord; September 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM.

Strabo chuckles as the infuriated Senator makes his exit.

Aha! You see senators? The rats are already swimming away from the ship! No corruption can bear to face true Roman virtue. And now he runs to a city of those vile, hedonistic Greeks, but I can't say I'm surprised. He can do as he pleases, though he will never run far enough to escape from the light of Roman civilization.
    Last edited by Tazgrent; September 22, 2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: grammar

Manius smiles, laughing inside when he saw the Senator run for Athens.

Run for Athens! He indeed will never escape the light of our civilization. But i don't think we need to worry about him anymore. Should we now appoint a new Praetor?

One thing at a time, my good Senator. Before we can sail the ship safely we must plug the leak. Sceava's crimes must be reviewed, and if he is found guilty, he shall be punished. Only then can we appoint a replacement.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

With that I too shall take my leave Senators, I have private business to attend to. I shall return when you call my name aloud for my return, or -if you have not come to your senses- to defend myself against this "justice" that you have seen fit to create from the words of a alcoholic. I bid you farewell, I may be found on one of my Italian estates.

Scaeva strides out of the Curia, head held high.

Strabo smiles like a predator.

Of course, "Praetor". We shall call on you when we are ready to make you face your judgement. Don't go running to Athens, now. The Senate has eyes in more places than you know.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Spurius turns to give one final comment.
    Oh I know, I put them there.
    With that he exits totally, and moves out of earshot.

He's bold... but i cannot come up is he a very stupid man or a mastermind..

I believe that in order to fully understand the crimes he has committed we must begin from the very beginning of his crimes. Well, of the part we know of. Perhaps our noble tribune could begin by telling exactly what happened, when and where? You have told us a general image, but perhaps now is the time for the full picture.

He saw several people leave. His father was definitely up to something and a few others left for Athens. The fools. Caldius even talked about those with a spine. If you have a spine you don't run off to other nations. Well, there wouldn't be any more useful debates in here.. Caius stood up and walked to the exit, trying to merge in the small mob that left. An elder senator at the door stopped him, he had asked him for advice multiple times. 'Leaving already, youngling?' Caius stepped around him. 'Sorry Appius, I have other things to do. More pressing matters.' He had to find his father, his real father. He had to know what he was up to.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Marcus stands to address the Senate,

Senators, as some of you may have seen, the second legion has now been raised, is ready for active duty and is currently barracked on the Campus Martius outside the city.

I ask that these men be put to use and that the Senate shall let me take this legion across the water to annex the island of Sardinia from the Poenii. I am sure in my absence the good Praetor Lucanus is more than capable of taking care of the city whilst the two Consuls are away.

A letter arrived bearing the Valerian seal, unbroken.

Valerian Seal

Conscript Fathers,

I have pacified Messana and destroyed both armies sent against me and my legion and we await whatever the senate wills. Casualties were much lighter than expected and the enemy was routed completely, there are no Punic soldiers to be found anywhere in the Northeastern portion of the island and pickets have been sent in both passes around the nearby mountain to warn us of any enemy movements to the South or West. I await a response.

With highest regards,

Consul Lucius Valerius Poplicola
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

This is great news Senators, and in light of our good fortune I will put forward this motion for the continuation of the war with the Poenii,

Lex Continuatio Punici Belli

1. Consul Merula shall take the second legion over the sea to Sardinia and annex the island for Roma.
    2. Following his successful victory at Messana, Consul Valerius shall sure up the defenses in the city, and given Senate authority to raise troops to defend it at Consular discretion.
    3. He shall then take the first legion and destroy any other armies the Poenii may have in Sicily.
    4. Following a successful campaign in Sardinia, Consul Merula will land the second legion on the Poenii (west) side of Sicily, and, coupled with Consul Valerius' assault from the east, the two Consuls shall annex the Poenii stronghold of Lilybaeum, solidifying Roman power on the island.

Ah, yes. My bill with his name stomped on it... great.

Finally a motion that will give us an advantage. I support this.

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

I also agree with Marcus' bill, though I believe he should leave some soldiers behind to defend the Eternal City of Roma. The Carthaginians are not as stupid as they sometimes appears to be...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

High Flying Dwarf's Avatar Libertus

Marcus walks into back into the Curia having left to deal with some urgent business.

"Friend senators, with the passing of the bill to remove Spurius Geminius Scaeva from office, I have replaced him as Praetor and will begin the legal process against him as soon as possible on charges of treason, fabrication of evidence and intimidating witnesses. Faustus Naevius Imperious, tribune of the plebs and accuser, shall be heading the prosecution. If any senator wishes to stand on the jury for the trial then they may do so by applying to me directly in writing."

Marcus takes a seat and awaits the next speaker.
    I JUST WANTED TO GO INTO SPACE!
    You Are The Senate

Marcus Sergius Lucanus, 34, Patrician

Merula rises,

Friends, the motion has been passed. I shall now take my leave from you to conquer Sardinia for the glory of Roma!

He leaves the Curia for the Campus Martius where the second legion is based.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast