Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Merula and Poplicola - 486AUC

Default Re: Consulate of Merula and Poplicola - 486AUC

Caius had been standing at the entrance, unnoticed. Even Poplicola had walked past him without seeing him. With the bandage on his chest visible from the open sides of his toga he entered the curia. He walked as usual, albeit a bit slower. In the end his wounds weren't that bad, he had come off lucky. He was glad to notice most of the regulars where there. The senators that actually mattered. Still.. Quite a lot of empty benches.
    When he heard they where talking about raising a legion he had known it was his moment to meddle in too.
    'Dear fellow senators, I am glad to see most of you returning to this hall unharmed, even if these circumstances might be even more dire than they where a few days ago. Again we face hostile men, again their banner is that of Carthage. And again we realize in what a dire state our military really is.' He walked to a more central spot. 'Due to the little problem we had in this holy place I was unable to study the state's finances. I completely agree with the senior consul's proposal, strike them on multiple places as soon as possible.' He paused a while. Talking loudly was still exhausting.

'I will study how we can raise a proper army the fastest, together with a small fleet, so that our dear senior consul can quickly strike Sardinia while the junior consul sweeps the Carthaginian main body from the southern parts of Italy. Perhaps we can even secure a bit of Sicily! Perhaps the Carthaginian striking force could be half a regular legion to spare expenses. Such an island is ill-defended anyways. Would that sound reasonable? Last time we got humiliated, now we can put Carthage on the place it deserves!' With the last word he slammed his fist on a nearby table, the bang echoed in the large hall.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

We cannot act with such haste. While technically Syracuse is independent it is most certainly on the side of Carthage after Corvenus' rape of the city. One legion is not enough to take all of Sicily, as no doubt it has been reinforced for the attack on Italian soil. No we must exercise caution, build up our forces or we shall see yet another legion obliterated.

Caius nodded. 'Very true but that was not what I was suggesting. I was merely pointing out that after consul Poplicola retakes Rhegion we can perhaps cross the strait and secure Messana. We would at least have a foothold on Sicily then. And I wouldn't worry about Syracuse that much, their destruction has severely weakened their forces and defences. They will keep quiet. At least if they are wise. Also, my half legion suggestions might be understood the wrong way here, I was talking about the levied legion, the fresh one. The one to strike Sardinia.'

He now walked towards his seat and sat down. He did it a tad too fast and his wound protested. Damn Gala, out of all places to slash me open my chest, a part of skin that always moves..

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

So are we for the original motion by the Tribune or my revised version dearest colleagues? We must come to a conclusion soon!

After our abandonment of Syracuse the city formed it's own senate and voted to join the League of Hellic states, a war with Syracuse is a war with Sparta and Athens. Perhaps it would better to form an allience? Rome is woefully short of friends nowdays.

And how much do you think they would trust our pledges of alliance Caldius? To them Roma seems woefully bad at making friends! Marcus smiles grimly, That trust was destroyed the moment Cor.... that man's army descended upon the walls... If we just let them be I do not think they will trouble us though, much.

If the options are to be crushed by Carthage or be allies of Rome I think they'll see that trust is irrelevant.

Caius remained seated but just shouted a bit louder to grab some attention. 'Senators, I am with the senior consul here, it is of the utmost importance that we hurry now. The Carthaginians are at the gates. I support the improved bill proposed by consul Merula. Let us stop discussing!'

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"Senators, do you believe vacating the city of one of it's most important leaders during a time of war?" Faustus eyed the Consuls. "Consul Merula, having you lead a campaign would be detrimental to the Republic at this point, it truly would. I understand your want for conquest and destruction of the Carthaginians but let's not waste money and Roman lives...do not attack from multiple fronts right now, wait sometime." Faustus explained to the Consul, he knew that it would be disastrous if they attacked on multiple fronts.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

A short, very thin man enters the Curia, attended by a dark skinned slave, who appears to be a doctor of some kind. He takes his seat and watches the proceedings carefully, until mention of Syracuse reaches his ears. Much to his doctor's dismay, he rockets to his feet.

"Senators! Surely you do not suggest we ally with the very peoples who have help me unlawful prisoner for half a decade? I would sooner ally with the dogs of Dis himself than with those clever-clever Greeks! Everything they are is an affront to Roman honor! I suggest instead, we make Syracuse the first target for our Sicilian campaign. It is a rich, bountiful city, and its capture would be a boon. Not only that, but its size ensures it would be easy to defend. It would be the ideal launching point for campaigns all over the Middle Sea. Not only that, but it is the last thing our enemies will expect. The Punics assume that, in anger, we will rush to their battlements with vengeance rather than level headed conquest on our minds, and they will be prepared. We must use this advantage while we still have it. There is nothing more dangerous than a calm enemy where an enraged one was expected. The Punics lack for patience, as we have seen. If we do not come to them, they will come to us, allowing us to set the terms of the engagement. A Punic army could never defeat a Roman one on home soil. And once they are vanquished, we can turn our attention to the true enemies of the Republic, of Roman virtue: the Greeks! The Greeks must be destroyed!

Caius turned and observed the man. He didn't know him, he was from before his time in the senate. 'Senator, Syracuse is not what it was five years ago. In your absence this city has been destroyed by a traitor of Rome. It's defences and wealth are all gone. As I said before, they are no threat and there is no use to ally them. Just accept their presence on the island, they can't afford to assault us nor should we bother to assault them. We must focus on Carthage!'

Caius really hoped they would get on with it, it always took ages to get something done here. It's like he was talking to a bunch of elderly people. Maybe mentally because most where only a few years older than him.

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Strabo turned to face the speaker.

"It is not as if I advocate not attacking Carthage. I simply suggest we do not rush blindly into the fray. The Carthaginians are cold and calculating. They will expect a direct attack. One thing Syracuse has not lost is its location. It is, without doubt, the most strategic location on the island. Controlling it would allow our ships free passage around Sicily, perhaps to land behind the lines of the Punics. Otherwise we risk annihilation. If we happened to do the Greeks harm in the process, so be it. All is gain for Rome."
    Last edited by Tazgrent; September 11, 2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Grammar

Marcus looks at Imperious, Sardinia is scarcely defended as it is Tribune, my half legion would only have to march up to the gates and the small garrison would surrender. In terms of wasiting money, I do not think we would need to levy a new legion at this point, there are men enough on the northern border. They sit there and do nothing except gamble and whore! My son wrote me of this himself, they need action, not just waiting around for a 'possible' raid. It is these men who are wasting money as you put it, men put there by Scaeva. Also surely Roma would be safe enough in the absence of the two Consul's? You have the esteemed Praetor Scaeva to depend of of course... He turns to the entire Senate, Friends I shall put the revised motion to the vote, whichever motion grants more votes in favour will be the one we shall put in place.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Spurius sighed. Wasting money? Wasting my money you mean, it is not the senate's so you need not concern yourself about it. The will defend their homes but they will not attack some rocky island, because instead of 'whoring and gambling' they tend farms and businesses half the time. Your son is a liar for such accusations, I doubt he even visited them, for I do not remember him being on the list of Roman leaders. You may be able to take a small island with a half legion, but Poplicola cannot retake and defend southern Italy with the other half. Save your blood lust 'til another legion has been levied and we can counter attack.

"Esteemed Consul, I will have to veto your motion. It is a senseless waste of Roman life and as Tribune of the People...the people who make up that Legion, I cannot allow it." Faustus shook his head, he disliked the idea of a Consul going directly against the will of the Senate, it was preposterous. Faustus knew deep down inside it was all playing further into his plan, the Plebeians would revel in his actions.

Marcus turns to the Praetor frowning, Dear fellow I would ask you to refrain from insulting my family, If you looked at the Legion rolls you would see Gaius's name clearly printed as Senior Tribune of the first Legion. In any case I did not like the idea of a 'half legion', and only continued with that train of thought because people like you complained about all the money to be wasted from raising another! I would much rather levy another legion, and after that is done I will tell the Senate to make their money worthwhile and send Legio II into action!

After hearing the Tribune speak he shakes his head, I am saddened that you think that way Tribune, but if you have forgotten, all war is a 'senseless waste of life' no matter how hard we try. I had thought that as a military man yourself you would have seen the strategy of hitting the Poenii from two sides, where they would not expect it; granted it would work better with two legions, but if the Senate is too cheap to levy a new one in fear of their comfortable lifestyles we would have to make do with what we have. All I did was further your own proposal, one that in my belief does not encompass as full war as the title seems to suggest.

"It's a matter of opinion if they are being cheap or cannot truly afford it." Faustus rebutted swiftly. "I indeed understand the concept of flanking the enemy but I also understand that despite the blessing of Mars and the best leaders a Legion can be defeated when divided." Faustus knew because he saw what happened to individual barbarian armies in the north when they became divided. "I know from experience, and your just going to have to trust that." Faustus quickly turned to the other Senators. "I vetoed because of that sole reason, we need to focus on retaking Rhegion and then we can vote to further action...a split Legion is a defeated legion." Faustus turned back to the Consul. "I can assure you that war is not a waste of life, it is glorious for a man to die in service to the Republic." Faustus spoke boastfully to the Consul. "We are at war, but we have strategy and tactics, others do not, and that is why we stand alone atop the world for victories."

Marcus chuckles, I agree with you there Tribune, your logic is sound, I only wished to see your precise reasoning to your decision. It is clear to me that you have not lost your military mind, that is good.

Though will you allow me to levy Legio II? Or will you veto that also? He gives a sarcastic grin, one eyebrow raised questioningly. He did like the man, he has a sort of fire to him, ambitious, but a man the republic needs...

"That is not for me to decide..." Faustus flashed a wicked grin, in his mind at the end of the sentence the word yet became attached to the end of his sentence. Perhaps it was just a fanciful thought or maybe it was a deep desire in his mind. "If the Senate so wishes, a new Legion can be raised. The power of my intercession is broad, not specific. Therefore if you wish to bring about a new Legion Consul, you have to propose a motion to raise another." Faustus retook his seat, he had a moment to breath and took a deep breath of the Curia's fresh air.

And propose a motion I shall Tribune, but I have a few things to run over before I present it to the Curia. But for now, let Poplicola take the Legio I south, we must defend Rhegium, or, if the gods have been cruel, retake the city....
    May fortuna smile upon you Consul on your campaign!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast