Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Merula and Poplicola - 486AUC

Default Consulate of Merula and Poplicola - 486AUC

CURIA HOSTILIA, ROMA, ITALIA.
    CDLXXXVI AB VRBE CONDITA

Ave, leading men of Rome! The Curia is open for it's first official session of the Year!

Consuls

Senior Consul
    Term: 486AUC - 487AUC.
    Marcus Atrius Merula (BLIP99)

Junior Consul
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola (Dragoon47)

Praetor
    Spurius Geminius Scaeva ([100]jplay.TGC)
    Challenger:
    Marcus Sergius Lucanus (High Flying Dwarf)

Tribune
    Faustus Naevius Imperious (CK23)

Quaestor
    Caius Geminius Dives (Rotersand)

I declare this session of our sacred Senate... OPEN!
    Last edited by dragoon47; September 05, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Consulate of Merula and Poplicola - 486AUC

Marcus walks into the Curia, ready for another term. He will wait for more Senators to arrive before speaking....

Lucius enters the Curia with a somewhat grim smirk on his face as he moves to take his seat, giving a nod to Marcus from across the room. Once he's seated he starts fiddling with a coin in his hand and moves it between his fingers with relative ease. This term will be...interesting.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Caius enters the Curia in the early morning, again most senators have not arrived yet. When he sees both consuls he is pleased though, it's a good sign. He takes his seat and waits, time to fix the financial situation.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Manius walks by the road to the Curia. He was a little nervous of what to come, oh well, too late now. He arrived at the doors of the Curia, and then bursted in the halls. He took a seat from near the speaker's place, at the front row.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

High Flying Dwarf's Avatar Libertus

Marcus Sergius Lucanus enters the Curia, no emotion can be seen on the face of the praetor elect can be seen as he takes his usual seat
    I JUST WANTED TO GO INTO SPACE!
    You Are The Senate

Marcus Sergius Lucanus, 34, Patrician

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius marches into the curia humming an old army song
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Faustus arrived in the Curia for his third term and second consecutive term as Tribune of the People; he was as proud as ever. He had arrived from a meeting of the Plebeian Council where it was announced that he was elected again. Faustus made his way over to Consul Atrius and bowed his head. "Congratulations old friend."
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

And to you as well Tribune, I feel this term will be most productive! I will wait for the Praetor to arrive then I will begin... Marcus smiles as the Tribune takes his seat

Manius notices the Consul, and greets him.

Hello, Consul, most of luck to you for this term! Smile and wave, Manius, smile and wave.

ooc: Going on the fact that jplay will come soon enough

Ave Senators!

Welcome once again to these hallowed halls! We are pressed for time good sir's so I shall be brief. Let us discuss this for a short period, then move onto the Quaestors report...

Governor Caesar in Rhegium recently sent me a message detailing troop movements across the straits of Messana. The Carthaginians have been massing an army Senators, and yesterday in fact the latest hurriedly written letter from Caesar tells an even graver story, I have copies here for all of you to read, signed by the mans own hand.

An attendant hands out pieces of parchment to each Senator,

Consul Merula,

As you well know, the Poenii have been massing over the straight for some time now, but two days ago our fears were realized. Their army crossed over the straight in the dead of night, having hired the help of pirates to ship them across the straight past our near useless fleet anchored nearby. They are now a days march from Rhegium, and I fear that by the time this letter reaches you they will have laid siege, and, I shudder to think what will occur if the legions do not arrive in time sir.

My scouts put their number at around one thousand men, the garrison here is made up of local recruited men, Greeks with spears basically, and my small governors guard. We can not hold them of sir, an assault will finish us for sure. I pray that our most honored Senators will come to a conclusion in time...

Your loyal servant of the Res Publica,

Governor Marcus Julius Caesar.
    Merula looks up at the Senators after they have had sufficient time to read it, his face grave, Well my friends, what do we make of this then?

'Ah, warfare, my profession!' , Manius thought, and stood up.

The army is vast, and we can guess the army is quite mobile. Perhaps mostly light troops, seeing that they can cross the straits so quickly.

Manius sat, not daring to speak more for now.
    Last edited by Maiar93; September 07, 2011 at 10:59 AM.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Isn't it obvious, we send the legion to deal with the assaulting army post haste, while the senate here deals with the idea of war with carthage once again, and forms a plan.
    Spurius didn't see much cause for debate so he stated his thoughts thinking everyone would be quick to agree and perhaps the legion would get there in time.

Agreed. We should send the Legion at once to deal with the Carthaginians.

I am worried though Senators, that this is only a preliminary force if you will. That the main army is yet to arrive.
    So this is why I ask you to allow me to take some troops from Scaeva's fort-wall to bolster the numbers in the legion. To act as reserves in case there is another force to deal with.

We should go on the offensive as fast as possable, drive them from Sicily and then make plans for a full scale war. Sitting here arguing will only give Carthage time to launch a full scale attack!

As the argument reverberated around the chamber Merula hears a noise from outside, much deadened by the arguments breaking out, but loud nonetheless. The scuffling of sandles, a couple of cries of pain, the clatter of wood on marble. Merula turns his attention to the entrance whence the noise came from.

Through the door walked three men, two plebs in brown dirty hooded cloaks, and a third, darker man dressed in the attire of Carthage.

The pleb on the left carried in his hand a studded cudgel, dripping blood onto the polished marble of the Curia. The other one barred the door with the dead guards spear, whilst the African drew a fine Falcata and stepped into the middle of the floor.

Merula rose to his feet, completely bewildered, not fully catching up to current events...Gala! Wha-what is the meani...

Gala hissed at Merula pointing the blade at him, Be silent Roman or I will shove this blade down your gullet!

The other two intruders took up positions around the Curia, watching the unarmed Senators like hungry wolves. One putting the tip of his blade up to the throat of Poplicola.

Gala also raised his blade to Merula's neck, keeping him in sight while he started shouting to the Curia.

Anyone makes a move on us, and your precious Consul's die! The more courageous Senators backed off a bit at that.

Good, I am here to deliver a message from my masters, and I might even add one of my own at the end. Before we kill you all of course! He smiles wolfishly, Carthage sees Rome as a major nuisance to our hegemony in the area, my masters believed a cutting blow needed to be dealt to you so you would finally submit to our authority. They advocated an invasion near Capua, but of course the moderates did not agree to this, they enjoyed the peace we had with you dogs! In any case, this is why I am here today, to deal the cutting blow by lopping off the head of the Roman wolf!

The people of Carthage and the Barcid family send their regards He laughs and makes to raise his sword, but then checks himself and turns back to the mostly frightened crowd before him,

Oh, and one more thing, He looks at Merula, you always were a fool werent you master HA! How we played you! Then to Dives, I just thought I'd tell you before you died, you need to work on your technique as a torturer, I never did deliver that message to Corvenus, I sent it back to Carthage instead! He winks menacingly.

But now, enough of this chatter, my long journey is almost at an end, ten years! Ha, well then Senators, I bid you farewell!

With that he pivots and slices the blade into Merula's chest, and before the man falls to the floor Gala is already moving, hacking through the Senators in his way, making for Dives. His other assassins begin to take out other Senators, Poplicola having jumped out of the way of the sword at his neck when he saw Merula fall.

Screams, blood and panic. It took less than a second for Caius to be back on the many battlefields he fought on. He had not fought in a long time but he had trained, he still trained as much as he did as when he was still an officer in the great Roman army. He observed the situation. He already spotted three deaths, four if you included Merula. One senator was laying on the ground, screaming as he held his mauled arm with his intact arm. Others where crawling over the floor, through the sticky blood that covered the marble.
    He had heard the African scream and he had recognized him the second he walked in, Gala the slave. Gala the barbarian. That inferior human even winked at him, thinking he was smarter. And now he was coming straight at him, greatly enjoying himself while he slashed his falcata through another senator. What was that quote again? War is old men talking and young men dying? Here it was old men dying and young men running. A small laugh escaped his mouth as he looked straight at Gala who was now in front of him.

He smiled. 'Hello mate, did you come back for some more?' He started laughing. He always started laughing when a situation was dire. Some said he was crazy, other soldiers had claimed he always remained optimistic. Truth to be told, he greatly enjoyed killing and torturing. And he loved fighting, man versus man. The stake being your life. He started circling around Gala who swung his falcata around, together they circled, not showing their backs to eachother.
    Caius was now in fighting mode, breathing heavily with the sadistic smile on his face. He had used a falcata for years, great sword. Amazing slashing capabilities. Not so great for stabbing. The African looked strong but he wasn't particularly tall. All in his favour. While circling they passed a table, papyrus was on it together with a piece of slashed toga. The white and purple was covered in the dark red colour of blood. This was his chance.

He smashed the papyrus on the table, in the direction of Gala, temporarily blocking his sight. He then threw the piece of cloth in his face too and picked up the table, smashing it on Gala's chest as he grabbed off the piece of cloth from his face. Gala screamed and swung his falcata which Caius swiftly evaded. Caius jumped to Gala's side and tried to grab or stomp his right arm so he would drop his sword. He hit him but Gala didn't drop the sword and swung it to his side. Caius felt the falcata slashing his chest. He was lucky he had jumped bit backwards. The large cut stung and the shredded toga now hung over him.
    Without doubt he shredded off the topside, his bare chest covered in blood. The maniac's smile was still on his face.
    'Behind you.' Gala looked confused as an elder senator suddenly rammed into his backside. Luck was on his side, fate wanted him to win! The elder senator had not seen where he was going, the plebeian with the spear had stabbed him in his face and eyes but thanks to fate he had rammed Gala who fell forwards, slightly imbalanced. Caius wasted no time and stormed forwards, ramming Gala at top speed who then fell backwards with his head on the solid marble. He groaned, such a smack was very painful.

Caius was now on top of him and he laughed. He spat in Gala's face and grabbed the falcata that Gala had dropped when he fell. He put it on his throat.
    'Thanks for telling me that before I die, although you did not mention when I will die. I think I will be very old.' He laughed but did not cut his throat yet. 'As for my techniques as a torturer, I don't give a rat's ass about the trial. I only liked hurting you, filthy Poeni. I won, Corvenus is dead. And you are now joining him.' Gala's eyes widened and he tried to utter a 'no' when Caius slit his throat. Caius moved slightly backwards and stabbed him in his stomach too, assuring he would die. Slowly but effective.

The curia was a battlefield, fleeing men, dying men, fighting men. Caius stood in the middle, bare-chested, covered in blood, armed with the falcata of Gala. He saw the plebeian with the cudgel, about to batter a senator's head in. He sprinted forwards screaming to grab the brute's attention. It worked, he turned his head. In return Caius chopped it off.
    'Where is the other one?!' Caius screamed at the survivor who pointed to the opposite side of the curia where Poplicola was fighting the one with the spear. Near the consular chair he spotted the body of Merula, covered in blood. He cursed. That filthy African.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Manius had in the midst of the pulled a fine gladius from under his toga. It was a fine gladii, the most balanced and sharpest blade Manius had ever wielded. It was like an extension to his arm.

He saw the Poeni fall before Caius, and he looked around. Fear widened his eyes for a moment, and he ran to the motionless figure on the ground.

"Merula! Consul!"

'Boom.' The heart was beating, slowly, and the Consul was lying on his own blood. Meanwhile, the battle still ravaged on."I'll be right back, Consul." Manius stood up, and ran to the nearest men he had saw charging in to the Curia.

Rage filled his guts. His grip grew stronger, and his expression grew more and more angry.

Take this, you filthy TRAITORS!

He spat these words out, beheading the plebeian near the second Consul. Manius could see the fighting figure of the Consul, fighting with one of the assasins, while Manius's way was blocked with the senators running around, screaming.

'Oh, please... what the hell is going on...'

He couldn't finish his thought, as he was already charged by the three warriors. He had no idea where they had come from, perhaps from outside the Curia... but it was too late.. he dodged the first man's thrust, and in return drove his own gladius deep into the man's stomach. The thrust was too deep, it got stuck. And now, another of the warriors was thrusting him. '..I guess it's a goodbye... at the first day...' - and the blow pierced his ribs. Manius noticed the pain, but it wasn't too bad to deal with. The warrior had missed the thrust, only hitting flesh and not anything important. Manius pulled out the gladius from the first man's stomach, and before the second warrior could pull out his spear Manius had already slashed his head. Blood spilled everywhere, and the man fell down still gripping the spear on his hands. The spear cut some more flesh of Manius, and he cried out for pain.

Manius had closed his eyes of pain. When he opened them, he saw a large, muscular assassin on front of him, smiling. He didn't like the smile, it was a mocking one. W-who.. are you..? Manius bursted the words out, breathing deeply after every word. Speaking hurts.

OOC: Ok, someone else can continue the RP from there ^^ leaving a treat for you.

Last edited by Maiar93; September 08, 2011 at 09:34 AM.

A feeling of terrible burning cold lances through Marcus' chest as the razor sharp Falcata enters his body just below his right shoulder....

The bastard stabbed me....

As the blade leaves his chest Marcus falls to the floor, clutching at the ragged wound with his left hand as he kneels, leaning on the facade of his Consular chair. The blood gushing out of the opening in his chest, flowing out through his fingers and onto the floor of the Curia, the bloody pool almost black against the clean white marble flooring. Marcus struggles to rise but finds his legs are all but useless,

Its the shock, the blade has not gone in deep, its only the shock....

Through the haze, which he soon realizes is his blurred vision, Marcus sees Dives fighting with Gala, whirling away and around the man like one of the furies. Poplicola over in the other corner taking on one of the other assassins. Blood everywhere. Dives jumping on top of Gala, ripping his throat out with his own sword. Laughing. Chopping the assassin with the cudgel's head off. More blood spraying over screaming old men.

This, this is ridiculous....

He calls Dives over, Caius! Help me here! But the words do not form in his mouth, he tries harder, managing a half sounding sentance, Boy....he...help....I...I'm..bl-bleeding...just a little....

When Dives rushes over, Its not deep....only....only a flesh wound....the fool didn't...he didn't know which side of me to stab! Got...got the right, see....just under me collarbone... He gestures to a fallen senator, his head hanging by a few tendons, his toga....get me the cloth...the cloth... tourniquet... when Dives makes to grab the cloth Marcus grabs his arm, I...I will....must... lead the army south....dont let them...let them take other....man...He chuckles painfully, You...you may have to wait...for your report...Caius!

I must go south, we must defeat the Poenii! thinks Marcus as his head hits the marble floor.
    Last edited by Merula; September 08, 2011 at 08:09 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast