Thread: Size of Mongol armies that invaded Europe?

Default Size of Mongol armies that invaded Europe?

Wikipedia puts the estimations of the Mongol armies invading Europe at 30,000 to 70,000. I kind of find this hard to believe though, conquering most of Eastern Europe and parts of the middle east with 70,000 men at the most? If this is true then the Mongols in SS shouldn't really get tens of stacks. Did the Mongols invade Europe with just 70,000 men?(Or 30,000 at modern estimations according to wiki)
    Last edited by Gigan; September 05, 2011 at 08:45 AM.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: Size of Mongol armies that invaded Europe?

Yes. 70 thousand at most. They didn't need any more, since they were the most capable military of their age.

Yeah 70,000 at least but i believe that they could still rise to 100,000 since Ögedei Khan wanted the complete control to the Great West Ocean (Atlantic) but his unexpected death cause Subutai , Jebe and Batu to halt the expansion in Hungary. and Subutai return to Mongolia to reclaim power.

Yeah, but the AI is too stupid to perform the deeds of the Mongol armies, we are talking about some of the greatest generals in history(Batu Khan Genghis Khan....). The only way to get anywhere close is by giving them billions of stacks, even now, the AI mongol rarely go past Kievan Rus...

Quote Originally Posted by Basileus Antiochus View Post
    Yeah, but the AI is too stupid to perform the deeds of the Mongol armies, we are talking about some of the greatest generals in history(Batu Khan Genghis Khan....). The only way to get anywhere close is by giving them billions of stacks, even now, the AI mongol rarely go past Kievan Rus...
    Subotai was clearly their most skilled commander (imho)

@OP, the Mongols split their army into units of ~10.000 which they called a Tuman; every Tuman was a fully operational army (kinda like the Roman Legions). They moved faster than a modern day armored division and they used a highly sophisticated network of spies and scouts. Their insane mobility and speed caught most of their enemies completely by surprise. The Mongols are also the only ones who ever managed to campaign (very) successfully during the Russian winters. In fact, they used the summer to resupply and rest their warriors and the winter for war.

Unfortunately the AI isn't up to the task, hence the large number of stacks

The Mongol armies that invaded middle east and the ones in eastern Europe aren't necessarily the same. Some probably were but by this time the Mongol empire was huge and could call steppe warriors from almost anywhere to participate plus many levies raised from groups of people who submitted to Mongols. Most of the ones which invaded Europe were real steppe warriors as they needed to move fast and there is still some speculation on whether the initial invasions were invasions or raids in force to assess the strength of Europeans. Some of the Mongols probably did want to expand to the western ocean but they had alot of things already going on from China to India to Europe.

Remember the mongolian horses eat grass not grains, plus they was small and strong in bad climate. From there is the speed. In 6.4 mongols are weaker. Before, especilly in 6.1 with RR-RC they come ussual in Poland.

Kill Them All, Let God Sort Them Out!

Waffen9999's Avatar Tiro

Most of the "Mongols" weren't really Mongols but rather Turkic peoples. Alot of the steppe nomads they picked up fought in similar ways. The Mongols just fine tuned them and brought them up to their standards if you will. But yes their numbers were relatively small all things considered. It's the fact that they rode as a riding wall and were so close together that proved decisive. Their great flexibility in movement allowed them to be virtually anywhere within a matter of days.
    "When I lead my army against Baghdad in anger, whether you hide in heaven or in earth, I will bring you down from the spinning spheres; I will toss you in the air like a lion. I will leave no one alive in your realm; I will burn your city, your land, your self. If you wish to spare yourself and your venerable family, give heed to my advice with the ear of intelligence. If you do not, you will see what God has willed." -Hülegü, the "Destroyer of Baghdad"

I Know the fact the the Mongolians where having some minor issues at China but in the time of Ögedei Khan (the second Great Khan of the Mongol Empire after Genghis Khan) the Mongols empire rose to its most powerful form and he expanded the empire during almost all his lifetime the only thing that spared Europe what his unexpected death in 1241.

Here's the reason why they halt the invasion. More specific the siege of Vienna.

Mongol armies quickly advanced across Bohemia, Serbia, Babenberg Austria and into the Holy Roman Empire. But before Batu's forces could continue into Vienna and northern Albania, he received news of Ogedei's death in December 1241. As was customary in Mongol military tradition, all princes of Genghis's line had to attend the kurultai to elect a successor. Batu and his western Mongol army withdrew from Central Europe the next year.

And Europe was Save YAY !!

I have write my script for mongols and play with him..Many people write that crashes is often.I playing now and all good.

Quote Originally Posted by OPASEH View Post
    I have write my script for mongols and play with him..Many people write that crashes is often.I playing now and all good.
    Who ?