Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can i Change a General's Bodyguard ?

Default How can i Change a General's Bodyguard ?

Hey guys i want to change the Bodyguards of Glofinder from the Elven Nobles to the Warriors of Mithlond , Mithlond Nobles how can i do that ?

Default Re: How can i Change a General's Bodyguard ?

i think you need to get Mithlond to be a Huge City and maybe rebuild the Jewel Smith at Ost-in-Edhil.

I Know im asking of changing the Bodyguard of a general instead of cavalry i want infantry.

Go to the file descr_strat in the folder world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign. Find where it says this

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    character    Glorfindel, named character, male, age 46, x 31, y 248, portrait Glorfindel, battle_model glorfindel ;forlindon
    traits Glorfindel 1 , LoyaltyStarter 1 , GoodCommander 2 , ReligionStarter 1 , GoodAttacker 1 , Brave 1 , Just 1 , BattleChivalry 2
    ancillaries troops_helf
    army
    unit        Elf Nobel Mount                exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

And change the bold section to Elf Nobel.

This unit will then be Glorfindel's bodyguard. However, this unit will not be regenerated between battles. If you want a general's bodyguard composed of that troop that regenerates you must go to export_descr_units file in the main folder and then do the following:

Find the following bit of code and copy it:
    Code:
    type             Elf Nobel
    dictionary       Elf_Nobel      ; Warriors of Mithlond
    category         infantry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       Heavy
    banner faction   main_infantry
    banner holy      crusade
    soldier          Elf_Nobel, 48, 0, 1.2
    officer             highel_captain_early_flag
    mount_effect     elephant +2
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, very_hardy, can_withdraw, free_upkeep_unit
    move_speed_mod   1.1
    formation        1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square
    stat_health      1, 3
    stat_pri         12, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  10, 6, 6, metal
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        6
    stat_ground      1, 0, 2, -1
    stat_mental      17, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 15
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        2, 950, 340, 110, 110, 950, 2, 300
    armour_ug_levels 3, 4
    armour_ug_models Elf_Nobel, Elf_Nobel_upg
    ownership        egypt
    era 0            egypt
    era 1            egypt
    era 2            egypt
    recruit_priority_offset    8

Then paste it at the end of the High Elves section of the EDU and change it as such:

Code:
    type             Elf Nobel BG
    dictionary       Elf_Nobel_BG      ; Warriors of Mithlond
    category         infantry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       Heavy
    banner faction   main_infantry
    banner holy      crusade
    soldier          Elf_Nobel, 48, 0, 1.2
    officer             highel_captain_early_flag
    mount_effect     elephant +2
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, very_hardy, can_withdraw, free_upkeep_unit, general_unit
    move_speed_mod   1.1
    formation        1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square
    stat_health      1, 3
    stat_pri         12, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  10, 6, 6, metal
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        6
    stat_ground      1, 0, 2, -1
    stat_mental      17, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 15
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        2, 950, 340, 110, 110, 950, 2, 300
    armour_ug_levels 3, 4
    armour_ug_models Elf_Nobel, Elf_Nobel_upg
    ownership        egypt
    era 0            egypt
    era 1            egypt
    era 2            egypt
    recruit_priority_offset    8

And then go to the file export_unit in the text folder and copy the following section:
    Code:
    ¬----------------
    {Elf_Nobel}    Warriors of Mithlond
    {Elf_Nobel_descr}
    Coming from a long line of shipbuilders and seafarers, these Sindarin warriors under the leadership of Cirdan the Shipwright make sure that the Grey Heavens remain safe from any threats and stay open to any of their kin who have heeded the call to sail into the West. With the memories of the ravaging of their ancient lands of Falas and the razing of their coastal cities of Brithombar and Eglarest still fresh in their immortal minds, Mithlond's warriors are completely dedicated to the protection of their kin and will gladly take up the sword to aid the elven cause, even if it means venturing beyond Mithlond's gates away from their beloved shores. Wherever they go they carry with them their love of the sea, displayed by the blue hues that adorn their fine armour.
    {Elf_Nobel_descr_short}
    Heavy infantry armed with a long sword and a large shield.

Paste it at the end of the file and change it as such:
    Code:
    ¬----------------
    {Elf_Nobel_BG}    Warriors of Mithlond General's Bodyguard
    {Elf_Nobel_BG_descr}
    Coming from a long line of shipbuilders and seafarers, these Sindarin  warriors under the leadership of Cirdan the Shipwright make sure that  the Grey Heavens remain safe from any threats and stay open to any of  their kin who have heeded the call to sail into the West. With the  memories of the ravaging of their ancient lands of Falas and the razing  of their coastal cities of Brithombar and Eglarest still fresh in their  immortal minds, Mithlond's warriors are completely dedicated to the  protection of their kin and will gladly take up the sword to aid the  elven cause, even if it means venturing beyond Mithlond's gates away  from their beloved shores. Wherever they go they carry with them their  love of the sea, displayed by the blue hues that adorn their fine  armour.
    {Elf_Nobel_BG_descr_short}
    Heavy infantry armed with a long sword and a large shield.

You can change the unit stats or description to suit your own tastes.

ty

And if i want to add them the same Unit card portrait ?

Copy and then rename the appropriate files in ui/units and ui/unit_info. They should be in the subfolder egypt.

Ty man for all the patience and help

Any chance I could get you to elaborate on where exactly I would paste the above text inside of the "export_unit" file

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

For export_units.txt: anywhere. Literally "at the end of the file" is fine.

EDIT: by the way, the general_unit attribute is not needed to make a general's bodyguard replenish. Any unit does that automatically simply by virtue of being a general's bodyguard.
    Last edited by Withwnar; August 26, 2016 at 04:30 AM.

Isn't there a thing where only the first unit with general_unit available to that faction only ever gets picked for a bodyguard? I can't remember .

Yep, default bodyguards. Also, if you make a general_unit unit recruitable then, upon recruitment, it will create a general (named character) with that unit as his bodyguard.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Also, if you make a general_unit unit recruitable then, upon recruitment, it will create a general (named character) with that unit as his bodyguard.
    Never knew that, thanks for the info.

Making a unit free_upkeep and general_unit causes some problems I remember.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 27, 2016 at 08:48 AM.

Recruitable generals: I don't know if vanilla or any vanilla Kingdoms mod ever used it. I not then why make such a thing? Maybe a leftover from RTW? First I heard of it was in the Rule Brittania mod, though apparently SS uses it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    Making a unit free_upkeep and general_unit causes some problems I remember.
    I can't find any info on this. Do you recall what kind of problems?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

First time I encountered a recruitable general was in Barbarian Invasion to RTW, at least some Germanic factions could get a noble cavalry with a general on the top, from the top level stable. A late game feature, it felt quite fun (as if the lords of the realm were summoned this way), but I understand it was not used again, AFAIK.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Recruitable generals: I don't know if vanilla or any vanilla Kingdoms mod ever used it. I not then why make such a thing? Maybe a leftover from RTW? First I heard of it was in the Rule Brittania mod, though apparently SS uses it as well.

I can't find any info on this. Do you recall what kind of problems?
    I tried it long ago and the game swaps the bodyguard for another free_upkeep unit that start in the same settlement if I remember right. Maybe it is fine if no other units start in the same settlement? I just used traits to boost income to pay for bodyguards while garrisoned, worked out better in the long run since having governors is more worth it now in other ways too.

In DCILA we have many cases where a general_unit+free_upkeep_unit bodyguard is present in a settlement (or fort) along with one or more other free_upkeep_unit units. No problems with wrong units being used as bodyguard. Not to say that it didn't happen to you, of course, only that if such a problem does exist then it's an "only sometimes" one. No idea why.

It reminded me of this though: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14897591. Yet another effect that general_unit has on things, that the first unit in an army will not necessarily be the bodyguard. Another is that general_units are never given as mission rewards (as far as I know).

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    First time I encountered a recruitable general was in Barbarian Invasion to RTW...
    Aha! There it is.

I did not look into it further after I noticed it so I have no clue, I only tried it on one Gondor general and he had archers while the bodyguard became its own unit. Also I think the archers were not free upkeep anymore. Both units were mercs though, maybe that makes a difference? I just assumed it was the free_upkeep, but it was probably that thing you linked to.

Edit; I do have one general_unit+free_upkeep currently I just noticed (Imrahil's BG unit, the one I originally tested it on) but it does not get free_upkeep when garrisoned (due to BG unit not being recruitable from the settlement of course). So possibly I created that issue while trying to get the free_upkeep to actually work by making the general_unit+free_upkeep unit recruitable. Like I said, so long ago, I only remember the glitch because it was so strange. Do your general units actually get free_upkeep? Did you make them recruitable with zero replenishment or something?

Apparently I did know about the general_unit recruitment thing since I added a separate BG unit of Swan Knights that isn't recruitable, either that or it was for lower unit numbers on the Swan Knights unit as a BG.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 29, 2016 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    Do your general units actually get free_upkeep? Did you make them recruitable with zero replenishment or something?
    None of them have any recruit_pool lines at all, so no, they don't get free upkeep in settlements. I didn't do the EDU coding; I assume their free_upkeep_unit presence is for forts.

It isn't needed for forts, not in my mod at least, they give any unit free upkeep. Well I am guessing if you add them to the recruitment pool it will cause that problem then? That was most likely what I tried. Pretty sloppy though since you get a free general if you do recruit them, and you have to add them to all building levels, so you have to have a unit that never replenishes in your pool from the start. The traits work great and can be changed depending on difficulty to keep starting incomes the same on all difficulties (get around hardcoded bonuses), I would use that if anyone wants free upkeep bodyguards and additional bonuses when governing to discourage using (abusing) too many generals in one stack. We all do it.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 30, 2016 at 03:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast