Thread: The Act of Devotio. A Brief History of One Family...

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Default The Act of Devotio. A Brief History of One Family...

The Act of Devotio...

Whilst taking part in a debate, I used the phrase devotio. It became apparent that whilst some knew it, others were baffled. So I present to you something about this fascinating tactic adopted by one particular Roman Family. Though, others may have done this, three are particularly well known…

This particular story begins with Consul P. Decius Mus. This charming fellow fought in the Latin War (337BC-334BC). Latin cities went into rebellion and in 336BC this outstanding general found fame in a bizarre fashion. The following text explains it far better than I could:

HOW DECIUS MUS SAVED ROME

IT was early morning in Italy two thousand, two hundred, and forty years ago. The first faint streaks of daylight were just beginning to appear on the top of a hill where the Roman army was resting and waiting for the dawn. It was not a large army, for Rome had not yet grown to be great and powerful; but every man in it was ready to lay down his life for his country.

Not far away, on one of the lower slopes of Mount Vesuvius, the Latin hosts were encamped. They outnumbered the Romans three to one, and the Latin soldiers were already boasting of the victory they expected to win.

Two men were walking in front of the Roman encampment and anxiously waiting for the dawn. They were Decius Mus and Manlius Torquatus, the consuls of Rome and generals of the Roman army.

"I had a dream last night," said Decius.

"And so had I," said Manlius. "I dreamed of the battle that is soon to begin."

"And I dreamed of the way in which it is to end," said Decius. "There are to be great losses on both sides.—But tell me your dream."

"In truth it was rather a vision than a dream," answered Manlius. "As I lay on the ground with all my faithful men around me, a gray-eyed maiden, clad in shining armor and carrying a shield and, spear, came and stood beside me. 'Manlius,' she said, 'to-morrow's battle will decide the destiny of Rome, whether she shall be the mistress of the world, or whether she shall perish by the hands of her Latin foes. If you will save her, you must heed what I say. That army which loses its general in the fight shall be victorious and shall utterly overcome the other.' And with this, the vision disappeared and I awoke."

"My dream was much the same," said Decius. "The same maiden with the shield and spear and piercing gray eye appeared to me. 'Do you want to know how to-morrow's battle will end?' she asked. 'The side that does not lose its leader will surely lose its army.' And then she vanished."

"We have each had a message from the gods," cried Manlius, "and we must heed it. I understand it means that if a Roman general perish in the battle, then Rome will be saved."

"That is the way I understand it," said Decius; "and I am ready to be sacrificed for Rome."

The two consuls finally agreed that each would lead, as usual, a wing of the Roman army against the enemy, and that the one whose wing first began to waver should give his life for his country.

The sound of busy preparation was already heard in both camps. The Roman soldiers were impatient to begin the fray. The sun was scarcely above the mountain tops before the battle was raging.

Furiously the Romans fought, contesting every foot of ground. The left wing, commanded by Decius Mus, was the first to waver. Then Decius, with great dignity, like that of a conqueror, strode alone to the summit of a little hill where both armies could see him. Standing with a javelin beneath his feet, and raising his hands and eyes toward heaven, he cried, "Rome! I give the victory to thee!"

With these words he rushed into the midst of the enemy. A dozen spears were thrust at him, and he died with the name of his country on his lips. With a cry of vengeance the Romans followed their leader, striking and grappling and slaying, and heeding nothing but to destroy their foes. The Latins were thrown into confusion; then a panic seized them and the whole army fled.

Decius had saved Rome.
    Now we come to the son… Funnily enough called… Decius Mus. In the Third Samnite War The Romans, about 38000 men (4 legions) met an allied force of Samnites, Etruscans, Umbrians and Galls – about 38,000 men too. Our now famous general was co-CiC of this army with Fabius Maximus Rullianus.

The two armies faced each other on the Plain of Sentium. They waited for two days. Uncharacteristically, the Roman nerve broke first and attacked the allied horde. Rullianus lined up against the Samnites, Mus against the Gauls.

Under Mus’ inspired leadership, the Romans started to buckle. Gallic chariots forced them back and the line began to collapse. Mus, possibly hearing the words of his father, charged into the Gallic lines. Death was almost guaranteed. Death did, indeed, visit the Mus family again but Mus’ charge inspired the troops and the line was held. Fabius broke the Samnites and turned on the Gallic flank. Rome won the battle. Source

Now we come to the final (?) act of Devotio performed by this family…

Clearly sacrificing oneself has proved rather successful. The battles have been won. Names have entered the hallowed halls of history and live on in our memories. But what of the last one?

Decius was not a name that carried on in this particular family. Perhaps the mothers within the families decided a change was timely… So the next generation was given the name, Publius Dentius. Publius Dentius Mus was a man that dared to take on the mighty Pyrrhus at the famous Battle of Ausculum. This took two days to resolve but it is remembered for two reasons:

1) The concept of Pyrrhic Victory probably comes from this above all other battles
    2) An act of Devotio by another Mus. But did it happen?

The Mus family were two for two. Two sacrifices, two victories. Can they make it a hat-trick?

Here’s an outline of the battle:

The next year, 279 BC, saw the second major conflict at the battle of Ausculum. A massive engagement (in terms of ancient armies) was fought over two days among the woods and hills of Apulia. The Romans led by Publius Dentius Mus, used terrain to their advantage to reduce the effect of the Epirote cavalry and elephants. The first day would end in a virtual draw. As at Heraclea, the second day's fighting was again a stalemate situation until the elephants could be brought to the front. The Roman's attempted using ox-drawn war wagons to subvert the elephants, but supporting infantry soon overwhelmed the defense and the Romans had to withdraw. At the end of the battle, estimates of 6,000 Roman and 3,500 Epirote casualties left Pyrrhus in command of the field, but again at great cost. It is the result of Ausculum where the term "Pyrrhic Victory" is attributed. According to Plutarch, when congratulated on his victory, Pyrrhus replied "that one other such (victory) would utterly undo him."
    Source

There is some debate as to whether Dentius did indeed commit an act of devotio. What can be said though, is that had he done so, would Pyrrhus have lost? – assuming he didn’t.

Personally, I like to think that he didn’t. This preserves the astonishing record that this act enabled and this particular family, whilst not in the same league as the Scipios or Barcas, certainly deserves some mention…

Hope you enjoyed reading this little piece of history.

Imb39
    Last edited by imb39; April 08, 2006 at 11:45 AM.

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Default Re: The Act of Devotio. A Brief History of One Family...

Aaah. the Decius Mus family.
    My first question in the RTR historical quizz thread was about them ...

Ah, very interesting, thanks for sharing.
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

A good read! Thanks IMB!
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Very interesting, but I still don't get why you use "devotio". An inside joke, I suppose.

Opifex

I should also add that Decius Mus was one of the first great plebeians to achieve the the status of consul and acquire considerable distinction, frequently serving with patrician consuls. The patrician Papirius Cursor preferred Decius Mus to all other co-consuls, whether they be patrician or otherwise. Near the close of the 4th century BC, when the debate arose about allowing for plebeian Pontifex Maximus, Appius Claudius (the road builder) argued the patrician side, and Decius Mus argued the plebeian side; through his persuasion the measure passed, finally advancing the cause of the plebeians to fully equal share with that of the patricians in government of the republic.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

"Janus, Jupiter, Father Mars, Quirinus, Bellona, Lares, New Gods, Native Gods, deities who have power over us and our enemies, and Gods of the Underworld: I supplicate and revere you, I seek your favor and beseech you, that you prosper the might and victory of the Roman people, the Quirites, and afflict the enemies of the Roman people, the Quirites, with terror, dread, and death. As I have pronounced the words, even so on behalf of the army, the legions, and auxiliaries of the Roman nation of Quirites, do I devote myself and with me the legions and auxiliaries of our enemies to the gods of the Underworld and to Earth."

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Quote Originally Posted by knothead15 View Post
    "Janus, Jupiter, Father Mars, Quirinus, Bellona, Lares, New Gods, Native Gods, deities who have power over us and our enemies, and Gods of the Underworld: I supplicate and revere you, I seek your favor and beseech you, that you prosper the might and victory of the Roman people, the Quirites, and afflict the enemies of the Roman people, the Quirites, with terror, dread, and death. As I have pronounced the words, even so on behalf of the army, the legions, and auxiliaries of the Roman nation of Quirites, do I devote myself and with me the legions and auxiliaries of our enemies to the gods of the Underworld and to Earth."
    Quid?

Explain and reveal to mortals and demigods of TWC your affiliations to this thread!
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!