Thread: 3 wave script for thermopylae

Default 3 wave script for thermopylae

before my laptop crashed, I was making a 3 wave (3 battles) script for thermopylae,... but it did not work (ctd) (I still have a backup of it) (I am very bad in scripting) I would realy appreciate it if somebody helps me making such a script...
    thanks
    Sorry for my English...

top 10 favourite mods: RTRVII, RSII, 300WOS, LOTRTW, FATW, HCT, EB, ROP, ARISTEIA, IBFD

Default Re: 3 wave script for thermopylae

Do you mean scripting within the battle? If so I have no idea I never tried in battle scripting....

If you just mean you're trying to script so that three campaign map battles occur at that spot - but the actual battle deployment / fighting is done as normal I might be able to help - but have probably forgotten most things I ever knew about this....

the problem is unlikely to be just related to 300, so you could try asking in RTW workshop too, i.e. post the monitors you added and see if anyone can spot the problem.

I just mean that three campaignmap battles occer at that spot... (first battle: xerxes vs leonidas, second battle: hydarnes vs leonidas, third battle: mardonius+hydarnes vs leonidas) (mardonius must be spawned if possible, so I can edit the troop number...)
    Sorry for my English...

top 10 favourite mods: RTRVII, RSII, 300WOS, LOTRTW, FATW, HCT, EB, ROP, ARISTEIA, IBFD

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I don't know much (read anything) about scripting but I imagine you'll have problems using the same generals for battles if that general died in the previous battle. You can make a new scripted general (I guess) but that might seem a bit odd...

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    I don't know much (read anything) about scripting but I imagine you'll have problems using the same generals for battles if that general died in the previous battle. You can make a new scripted general (I guess) but that might seem a bit odd...

that's the most likely problem - unless you changed some bits of the existing script/descr_strat first then Leonidas is destined to die in the first battle, or immediately afterwards 'as the result of his wounds'

if you use some script commands that refer to a character by name and that character doesn't exist then it will crash the game... unfortunately I can't remember off hand which commands do that and which just don't do anything if the character isn't there... unless there's anything in the workshop that tells you, you'll need to test something simple with a deliberately wrong name to find out

can't advise much more without actually looking at the bits you added.....

maybe you can make characters invulnerable first two battles
    Sorry for my English...

Blog Entries

Xerxes is invulnerable in at Thermopylea, I suggest looking at the script for that battle.

Your problem then is it will be impossible to kill those generals, so even if you routed or killed their armies they would defeat all other men on the field, even against odds of 1000 to 1.

At Thermopylea that was what we wanted since the Greeks were supposed to lose and historically Xerxes didn't die.

or mybe we can check or the character exist... if not, just retreat the persian/greek army from thermopylae (on the campaigmap) + give the generals a trait that gives them +10 hitpoints
    Sorry for my English...

Blog Entries

I don't know, it sounds like you're coming up with complicated answers which I'm not sure would improve the game play. Why do you want three battles at Thermopylea anyway?

If you really want them I suggest not using the same generals more than once.

I want three battles because I want to make my sub-mod historical accurate (the battle of thermopylae where actualy 3 battles)
    Sorry for my English...

Blog Entries

There was only one battle, fought over three days. The battle can only every be represented in a mod. Otherwise the Persians would have to attack from the front and the rear on the third day to represent the use of the goat path.

Bear in mind there is also the three battle random CTD which I don't think anyone has resolved, so even if you can get three battles to work you'll have a random CTD.

3 battle ctd??????
    Sorry for my English...

Blog Entries

There is a bug in RTW that as far as I know has never been resolved where three or more battles in succession can cause a random CTD.

There is a bug in RTW that as far as I know has never been resolved where three or more battles in succession can cause a random CTD.
    in the same turn? (if not we can make a script that spread the battle over 3 turns)

There was only one battle, fought over three days
    yes, I just mean that they did not fighted at night...

Otherwise the Persians would have to attack from the front and the rear on the third day to represent the use of the goat path.
    no problem!, it is posible to let attack the persians from the rear
    Last edited by Megas Antiviros <3 Gaesatae :p; September 08, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
    Sorry for my English...