Thread: Wenden (Polabian Slavs)

Default Wenden (Polabian Slavs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wends

I know that the suggestion of the idea to add one of the groups of Western Slavs.
    Perhaps also, if you ever do its affiliates, you will need some materials. It would not hurt so you have something to deliver.

Slavs avoided open battles, mainly relied on deception and knowledge of the terrain. Not without significance that it was trying to get numerical superiority over the enemy. German chroniclers (in conjunction with the Western Slavs, they should concern us) wrote disparagingly that do not use arrays and military formations, but its mass. It also raised the issue even deadly bow skills, so he wrote at least Thietmar of Merseburg.

It was not easy for me to find some meaningful pictures of warriors.

In general, the army so I imagined.

- A large mass of warriors, light, in a loose formation. Numerical superiority, the ability to hide in most types of terrain. This will give knowledge of the terrain and cunning, these numerous ambushes and stratagems.
    - Archers. Several branches of archers, including at least one very good. Of course, having the ability to hide in most types of terrain - very effectively knocked out the German warriors.
    - Team Principe. Perhaps, as in Poland at that time, riding. Heavily armed and small.
    - Berserkers. We know that the Slavs, in addition to human sacrifice, intoxication by various means, such as mushrooms. There are examples of Scandinavian fights when such savage warriors despite the wounds massacred their enemies.

Round and oval shields with pagan characters. Little armor, made mostly of organic materials, such as horns, hooves, hides and wood. Helms, various - often with the horse-rich mastic, with skulls zwierzątm poor, such as wolves.
    Swords for the elite, mainly axes, especially small ones. Spears, javelins. Of course, long bows.

And smarts. Unfortunately you can not cut down trees to make a council.

Pictures:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Wieleci.

More pictures of the Western Slavs

German, Polish Drużynnik, Czech fighter. X age.

Wieleci. This right is probably Norman mercenary. X age.

A good source can also be a Polish film ("Stara Baśń") "Old Tale." It represents the Slavs of the ninth century.
    A short video of the fight against Vikings:

Last edited by Martin von Carstein; September 02, 2011 at 01:13 PM.

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Wenden (Polabian Slavs)

Please spoiler your Pictures. Also, wrong thread. I suggest moving this to Suggestions thread, mate.

Good material, though!
    Last edited by Celtichugs123; September 02, 2011 at 12:29 PM.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Just hide it in the spoilers.
    Yes, on the suggestion is not bad. But this is only a tiny fragment of material. Those who have something on the Slavs will be able to easily throw something. Likewise, developers can easily find on the materials for these specific Slavs.

I would like this topic used the easy assembly of sources needed to create an army of Slavs from the German region.

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

Well, we do plan new factions. Weather we will include a Slavic factions is yet to be seen.

Thanks, Celtic.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

I found (thanks to friendly help, thank you for that.: D) some swords, spears and spear tips, and even a photo of one of Obotrites shields. This archaeological finds from the region of the western Polish, Pomeranian and Polabians lands. So I put.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Obotrites shields, Tribe: Wiereci.
    Wooden Umbo.

Spear:

Javelin:

Swords

Arrow:

Source:
    http://znaleziska.org/wiki/index.php/Kategoria:X_wiek