Thread: Amazons after classical era end? (arround 600-1000 A.D ?)

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

Default Amazons after classical era end? (arround 600-1000 A.D ?)

well, I just want to ask, if Amazons has some historical proofs, then, when they approximately "dissapear" or "conquered"? Currently, this was the most interesting question hovering in my mind since there was still a lot who said about them in dark and even middle ages.

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Default Re: Amazons after classical era end? (arround 600-1000 A.D ?)

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    well, I just want to ask, if Amazons has some historical proofs, then, when they approximately "dissapear" or "conquered"? Currently, this was the most interesting question hovering in my mind since there was still a lot who said about them in dark and even middle ages.
    Keep in mind, most of what the dark/middle ages mentioned about them was mostly tales about the ancient world.

My personal guess would be they disappeared sometime around the rise one of the fertile crescent kingdoms, sometime after the Trojan war. with the combination of Greeks after them for helping the Trojans, and Medes/Persian/Hittites/whoever else came out of the east, my guess is that they were swallowed up/migrated and merged with the Scythian/Sarmatians.

Now, tradition places the end of the Trojan war at 1184 BC, which means they must have vanished between then and the rise of the Median Empire in 728.

Alternatively, the Median empire never reached all of the Black sea/Anatolia region, so they may have survived for a few hundred more years, until the rise of the Achamenid Empire in 550 B.C.
    Last edited by TWWolfe; September 03, 2011 at 01:12 AM.

Please rep me for my posts, not for the fact that i have a Pony as an Avatar.

Default Re: Amazons after classical era end? (arround 600-1000 A.D ?)

they simply going back to the kitchen Amazons is merely specialized woman-warrior class of troops used by nomadic people for home defenses.