Thread: Easy Sengoku Jidai Unit Recruitment

Default Easy Sengoku Jidai Unit Recruitment

This modification removes the secondary building requirement from the Sengoku Jidai DLC units, and in limited cases, simplifies the primary building requirement.

The required buildings for the Sengoku Jidai DLC units change as follows:

Date Bulletproof Samurai - Yari Drill Yard
    Uesugi Marathon Monk - Buddhist Temple*
    Ikko Marathon Monk - Jodo Shinshu Temple*
    Hojo Hand Mortar - Siege Engineer's Workshop*
    Shimazu Heavy Gunner - Siege Engineer's Workshop*
    Mori Wako Raider - Sword School plus Military Port (unintended, may change to Harbour)
    Tokugawa Mounted Gunner - Stables
    Hattori Bandit - Archery Dojo
    Oda Long Yari Ashigaru - Yari Drill Yard
    Takeda Fire Cavalry - Stables
    Chosokabe Daikyu Samurai - Archery Dojo

Unlike other mods, it does not change who can recruit what, so the units still remain faction specific, simply a lot more prevalent.

Edited to add some notes:

I have changed some of the higher tier prerequisite buildings so that they are all tier 1 buildings. The changed requirements are marked with an asterisk. In some cases this is going to seem unrealistic, such as Hojo Hand Mortar or Shimazu Heavy Gunners build-able with just a Siege Engineer's Workshop in the town but I judged it more important that the signature units all have tier 1 requirements. As such, each of the unique units will predate any similar or competing unit from other clans by a large amount.

The new units are accessible extremely early (turn 1 in many cases). In my case I can say it has revived my interest in a number of clans that I dont normally play because it removes the obstacles to recruiting their specialized unit(s). I also believe it will reintroduce significant unit diversity into a game that has been criticized by some for it's overall clan/faction "sameness".

The mod is in movie format and does not require a user script file. It probably will not be compatible with any other mods that modify units or building prerequisites.

Edit #2:

On the topic of reuse/inclusion in larger mods, if someone wants to merge this either by using the pack file or simply incorporating the changes, they are more than welcome to. All I ask is to be credited someplace minor. Otherwise feel free.
    Last edited by Charsi; November 25, 2011 at 09:25 AM.

Default Re: Easy Sengoku Jidai Unit Recruitment

Attached file release 1. Tested most clans; can't test Hattori. Let me know if there's any problems.

Place in {Program files}\Steam\Steamapps\common\Shogun 2 Total War\Data

(attachment removed)
    Last edited by Charsi; November 21, 2011 at 08:43 PM.

Great little mod! Use it in combination with DMS, really makes the factions truly unique to play.

I'm surprised to read it even works with DMS.. it alters rows in units and adds rows to buildings units allowed tables. I assumed they would conflict.

May I ask if you loaded this mod first or second? I guess second, so unit costs might be off if DMS alters them.
    Last edited by Charsi; September 04, 2011 at 01:56 PM.

I didn't load it in a specific order, i think mods are loaded alphabetically? Then it would be loaded after DMS... Anyway, since unit costs are specifically balanced for darthmod, i think it works fine this way.

Quote Originally Posted by FreekWillem View Post
    Great little mod! Use it in combination with DMS, really makes the factions truly unique to play.
    What is DMS ?

DarthMod Shogun.

I have loaded/saved the mod with PFM 1.7.5 and after cursory testing this mod appears to be compatible with the latest patch. I am attaching the zipped *.pack file that I re-saved and tested with. Let me know if you have any problems.

I can make no claims about compatibility with other mods.