Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Vanilla RTW 1.5 Succession Campaign --> Game 1

NobleNick's Avatar Artifex

Default Vanilla RTW 1.5 Succession Campaign --> Game 1

Hi folks,

Well the first succession campaign I've witnessed in my very short tenure here at the forums is over, and the next one is gearing up; both thanks to the efforts of Aetius.

While both of these campaigns are excellent endeavors, there is a niche market that I want to address: those who (like myself) want to play succession in Vanilla 1.5 RTW. This is not a effort to pull people away from any other succession campaign. (In fact, I am on the list to play the TE succession campaign that is about to get underway.) Rather, it is an offering for those who enjoy 1.5, including those for whom it is "Vanilla 1.5 or nothing at all." (Flogger, I am thinking of you.)

Those for whom Vanilla 1.5 is not their first choice, but are 9th or so on the list to play their favorite succession campaign, might also consider playing this while they wait for their turn.

After some more research and reflection, here is my suggestion for the campaign (all are open for revision, except as marked) :

Version: (non-negotiable item) Saved games must be playable by Vanilla 1.5 RTW.
    Faction: Carthage.
    Difficulty: VH/H.
    Unit size: Large (or the next step up from Large)
    Starting player: Open.

I have some school work to complete (studying for a final exam); so can not start any game until Friday, April 14. This, along with a computer blow-out repleat with smoke and flames and a particularly slow-going solo RTW campaign, are the main reasons why I am **STILL** talking about a succession campaign instead of actually doing one.

Here is what will happen: I will give a few days for discussion of game conditions and add anyone who wishes to the player's list. If no discussion, I will start the above campaign after April 14. If there is discussion and a concensus to alter the starting conditions, I will start the altered game after the 14th. If there is discussion and a volunteer to start the game before the 14th, then we can do that, too: I have no burn to be the first player.

If you wish to join, please state explicitly, "Add me to the list of players," or something equally unambiguous. If you wish to be the first player, state that, too (first come = first served).

Current player list:

1.) (open. Alternate = NobleNick)
    2.) NobleNick

Thank you.
    Last edited by NobleNick; April 06, 2006 at 12:42 PM.

Flogger's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Vanilla RTW 1.5 Succession Campaign --> Game 1

Carthage again? I remember the first succession campaign. It ended in tears.

Don't add me to the list yet though - I just installed a heap of skins and mods etc. which make my game vanilla uncompatible.
    Stealing TWC's smilies since 2005

I might come in, after the other succession campaign. Leave a space for me, ok?

Severous's Avatar Biarchus

Hello NobleNick

I am a RTW V1.5 player. No mods whatsoever.

I feel I know enough about the game now to participate in a community game. Ive not read up on what a succession game is. Is it a swap game?

I play slow. Play on Large scale. Play on H/H.

I dont care on choice of faction, difficulty etc. Just be vanilla and you can count me in on contributing to a swap game.
    Regards
    Severous

Did my part in a Franks BI Succession campaign:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118689
    Played a Mod called "End of Days" Picture based AAR is here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116509
    From last year. Final turn of vh/vh Egyptian campaign
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54262

you can count me in, haven't played carthage for a while and it was one of my favourite vanilla games

As long as i can get in on this one before my turn on the next succession campaign, ill play.

I dont mind starting this. If you tell me exactly what settings to use (including the lesser ones in preferences.txt) i'll get this going a.s.a.p

i might play, but i don't really have time until may...
    and i've never really played higher than H/H....
    and i dunno how to update....
    Last edited by roman_crusader; April 06, 2006 at 08:08 PM.
    Horse Archers = GOD

O.K. Hannibal, you are the starter, unless you opt out of this priviledge or can't perform. Please don't start, yet: Let's give a day for discussion of game settings; and then you can have the weekend to go at it. Okay?

Game settings: We are still open to discussion; but in the absence of consensus for a change, this is the game Hannibal Barca will start, as early as late Friday afternoon:

Version: (non-negotiable) Saved games must be playable by Vanilla 1.5 RTW.
    Faction: Carthage.
    Difficulty: VH/H.
    Unit size: Large (or the next step up from Large. Starting player chooses)
    Other: No restarts or reversions to saved games (collectively called "restarts") to replay battles for better outcomes. No restarts to save generals that died (peacefully or otherwise). No restarts.

Hannibal, I will try to get the minor settings for you by tomorrow. I am out on Saturday and likely Sunday, so if I fail to get something to you tomorrow and you wish to start this weekend, feel free to use any reasonable setting. The only thing I sweat over a bit is that we don't make any choices that make the game chug on a mid-range gamer's machine.

Severous, if I understand your post correctly, you nailed it: This is a game where each person plays as long as the FACTION LEADER that they inherited when they received (or started) the game stays alive. The instant that the faction leader dies, the player must save the game and send the saved game to the next player in line.

With Hannibal starting, that would put Severous in 3rd position, after myself. Favre, if there appears to be a conflict with the other campaign, I am willing to trade slots with you. I don't know whether you are near the beginning or farther down in line in the TE campaign. Let's see how it goes.

Spartacus-Popat, I have put you in last, and we will add other players after you, we will bump you down the list so that you are never the next in line to receive the game, until you say you are ready to play.

EDIT: Swapped Favre and NN due to Favre is 3rd on Aetius' TE campaign.

Current player list:

1.) Hannibal Barca
    2.) Favre
    3.) Severous
    4.) NobleNick
    5.) Spartacus-Popat (bump down till available to play)
    Last edited by NobleNick; April 06, 2006 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roman_crusader
    i might play, but i don't really have time until may...
    and i've never really played higher than H/H....
    and i dunno how to update....
    I don't have time until mid-April. If we put you in now, It probably won't get to you until May. Otherwise we can bump/skip you until you are ready.

I haven't played higher than H/H either. The battles, on HARD, will be the same as you are used to. The VH difficulty for campaign is to add some "pucker factor" so that this is not a cake walk. We could lose! No fun (yawn) if you know you are going to win; and I know I can win H/H. How about you?

You don't know how to update what? Update to version 1.5? Send on a saved game? Please be specific.

If you want to be added to the list, please say so.

I'm third in line for the other campaign, so id like to start this one or go second on this one ....if possible that way i can do this one before the other ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Favre
    I'm third in line for the other campaign, so id like to start this one or go second on this one....
    List above is edited to swap you into 2nd.

Cool

Severous's Avatar Biarchus

If I may I would like to be able to resign after a given amount of time rather than when my leader dies. I take months to play an imperial campaign. It would not be right to hog the game for so long.

If though faction leader has to die then I could have some suicidal battles....

When we played swapped game of 'Locomotion' (different game completely) we played for a max of x real days, or y years of game time whichever was shorter. This kept the game going along fast. Just a thought.
    Regards
    Severous

Did my part in a Franks BI Succession campaign:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118689
    Played a Mod called "End of Days" Picture based AAR is here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116509
    From last year. Final turn of vh/vh Egyptian campaign
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54262

NobleNick, I can go as soon as you want, I'm not busy for a while I'm in. BTW, will the settlements be automatically governed, or need a family member? Please be the first one...

sorry for being so unclear. i mean i dunno how to update u guys on my progress, like posting pics and all that....

but after checking on my calendar, i reckon i can't play except on weekends (real busy during week)... so really really sorry but i can't play till mid year recess (which is in july damn uni...)

im guessing u guys would like it quick, so i will abstain from this one, so that everyone can play.

if u start one in july in the future, please tell me... i'll probably make it then.

im really sorry... i'll observe your campaign with great interest. carthage will prove very interesting... and crush those roman scum! good luck!
    Horse Archers = GOD

I could possibly join in too, if you want or need more guys. I'll have to warn you that when/if my turn hits, it might take some time, as my playing time is limited at best.
    It is right to learn, even from the enemy.
    -Ovid-

i dont mind waiting, get those settings to me when you can and i'll get this underway

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Barca
    i dont mind waiting, get those settings to me when you can and i'll get this underway
    No need to wait, here they are! (The full dump is at the very end of this post.) This is a dump that is effective for the game I am playing currently. Wow, at least a quarter of this is gibberish to me. I am sure there are settings hidden in there that are stupid. Feel free to change those; but please let us know what you did. Here are the ones which do NOT appear to me to be stupid, or upon which I'd like to comment:

MORALE:TRUE
    FATIGUE:TRUE
    LIMITED_AMMO:TRUE
    SUPPLY:TRUE
    FOG_OF_WAR:TRUE
    RESTRICT_CAMERA:FALSE

Playing arcade style with unlimited ammo and troops that don't tire seems... cheap. Same for playing with no fog of war. However, when I am besieging a city, I want to be able to move the camera enough to know how the streets are laid out: I would have that information in a real life attack.

EVENT_CUTSCENES:TRUE

I know some like this to be "FALSE." Whatever the group wants.

UNIT_EXPERIENCE_UPGRADE_EFFECT:TRUE

Gotta have this!

UNIT_SIZE:80

80- or 160-man units, please. The currently running campaign is using 160, and people seem to be happy; so maybe that would be best. Unless we get discussion, just choose what you prefer. I know many think bigger is better; but a unit size of 320 would probably bring my machine to its knees. Let's keep this playable by the mainstream.

MICROMANAGE_ALL_SETTLEMENTS:TRUE

I think this is what allows building and recruitment in settlements without a governor. I have been playing such that recruitment and building is allowed even if the gov is away for a bit slicing up rebels. Seems reasonable to me; but if the majority want something else I am not hard over on it. Seems to me this is a good setting to partially offset the effects of a VERY HARD campaign difficulty.

EDIT: Ah!! I think this is what you were referring to, Spartacus-Popat! O.K., looks like we have at least 2 players who prefer to not lose control of the building and recruitment program the second the general steps outside the gate. Hannibal, please leave this setting to TRUE unless we get significant dissenting discussion.

UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:FALSE

Not sure what the effect of this is. If "TRUE," do you get to manage multiple armies on the battlefield, or does the computer still grab control of reinforcements? I am all for any setting that allows player control of over 20 units at a time; but don't want to do anything that will prevent, say, 2 full stacks from simultaneously engaging the enemy, (even if one of them has to be computer controlled).

O.K., Hannibal, please wait at least 6 hours from the time of this post, for comments; use your best judgement on the discussion to select settings; and then, at your convenience, let her rip!

*************** preferences.txt dump ***************

SAFE_REFRESH:TRUE
    USE_TRIPLE_BUFFER:FALSE
    USE_WIDESCREEN:FALSE
    SUBTITLES:FALSE
    MORALE:TRUE
    FATIGUE:TRUE
    LIMITED_AMMO:TRUE
    SUPPLY:TRUE
    FOG_OF_WAR:TRUE
    RESTRICT_CAMERA:FALSE
    DEFAULT_BATTLE_CAMERA:RTS
    EVENT_CUTSCENES:TRUE
    SMOKE:TRUE
    DESYNC:FALSE
    SPLASHES:TRUE
    GLINTS:TRUE
    REFLECTIONS:TRUE
    SHADOWS:TRUE
    VEGETATION:FALSE
    DETAILED_UNIT_SHADOWS:FALSE
    GLOSS_MAPPING:TRUE
    STENCIL_SHADOWS:TRUE
    MULTI_TEXTURE:TRUE
    AUTO_SAVE:TRUE
    SHOW_BANNERS:TRUE
    UNIT_EXPERIENCE_UPGRADE_EFFECT:TRUE
    UNIT_SIZE:80
    MASTER_VOL:100
    SPEECH_VOL:100
    SFX_VOL:100
    MUSIC_VOL:70
    CAMERA_ROTATE:50
    CAMERA_MOVE:50
    CAMERA_FOV:75.000000
    ENABLE_AUDIO:TRUE
    ENABLE_MUSIC:TRUE
    ENABLE_UNIT_SPEECH:TRUE
    DISABLE_BACKGROUND_FMV:FALSE
    DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:FALSE
    AUDIO_3D_PROVIDER:Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio
    CLOUD_TRANSITIONS:TRUE
    GRASS_DISTANCE:20
    AA_QUALITY:AA_OFF
    STRATEGY_RESOLUTION:1024x768
    STRATEGY_MAX_RESOLUTION:1280x960
    STRATEGY_32_BIT:FALSE
    BATTLE_RESOLUTION:1024x768
    BATTLE_MAX_RESOLUTION:1280x960
    BATTLE_32_BIT:FALSE
    UNIT_DETAIL:HIGH
    BUILDING_DETAIL:NORMAL
    TGA_CAPTURE_WIDTH:1024
    TGA_CAPTURE_ASPECT:1.333333
    TGA_CAPTURE_INPUT_SCALE:1
    TGA_CAPTURE_RESERVE_SPACE:FALSE
    LABEL_CHARACTERS:FALSE
    LABEL_SETTLEMENTS:TRUE
    MINIMAL_UI:FALSE
    CAMPAIGN_MAP_MAX_SCROLL_SPEED_MIN_ZOOM:30
    CAMPAIGN_MAP_MAX_SCROLL_SPEED_MAX_ZOOM:30
    FIRST_TIME_PLAY:FALSE
    ADVISOR_VERBOSITY:2
    MUTE_ADVISOR:FALSE
    BLIND_ADVISOR:FALSE
    CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA:FOLLOW_AI_FACTIONS
    CAMPAIGN_MAP_SPEED_UP:FALSE
    CAMPAIGN_MAP_GAME_SPEED:10
    DISABLE_EVENTS:0
    MICROMANAGE_ALL_SETTLEMENTS:TRUE
    ADVANCED_STATS_ALWAYS:FALSE
    UNIT_USE_SHADERS:TRUE
    TERRAIN_QUALITY:HIGH
    EFFECT_QUALITY:HIGH
    VEGETATION_QUALITY:HIGH
    KEYSET:0
    UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:FALSE
    CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA_SMOOTHING:TRUE
    CHAT_MSG_DURATION:10
    USE_QUICKCHAT:FALSE
    GS_PIDS:FALSE
    GS_PIDS_FULL:FALSE
    GS_PIDS_CUR:TRUE
    ALWAYS_LOGFILE:FALSE
    TIMESTAMP_LOGFILE:TRUE
    32BIT_UI:FALSE
    GS_LOG_RESULTS:FALSE
    CHAT_COLOURS:name=ffffa0,private=ff7707,game=94aadc,public=fff777,system=ffffff,lobby=fff777,setup=94aadc,playing=ff0707
    EDIT_SETTLEMENT_NAMES:FALSE
    Last edited by NobleNick; April 07, 2006 at 12:24 PM.

Roman_Crusader, Got it. Will leave you off for now.

Taze, We don't need more players, since we can just recycle those who finish their turn to the end of the list. However, those who would enjoy playing this are welcome. I interpret your post to mean that you would like to play, and have added you. Please let me know if I erred in my assumption.

Severous and Taze both brought up the subject of length of each player's possession of the game. Although it would be ideal for turnover to be LESS THAN a week per player, that could stretch a bit for long-lived faction leaders and real time interruptions. We'll cross this bridge when we get to it. Severous, I have no problem with you handing off the game before your faction leader dies... Since I am next in line, I'll finish him up for you! Please don't get suicidal with precious faction resources.

Current player list:

1.) Hannibal Barca
    2.) Favre
    3.) Severous
    4.) NobleNick
    5.) Spartacus-Popat
    6.) Taze
    Last edited by NobleNick; April 07, 2006 at 12:12 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast