Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Got an hour to donate? PLEASE HELP!

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Default Got an hour to donate? PLEASE HELP!

Many of you have kindly offered hard cash to the mod in order to get us work faster!

Unfortunately that's illegal, but we could really use your help filling out some simple forms. This does not require modding skills or knowledge, but we do have some important guidelines you need to follow or we cannot make this into code and your work will be useless to us and a waste of time for you

Below you will see an Excel document with names of historical ancillaries, we need the fields in the green columns filled in. All the information is on wikipedia. So all you need to do in search for the name in the ENGLISH version of wikipedia and copy the text in 'description'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The text should not have any footnotes or any references to modern scholars or dates for example:
    This is what we do not want in our text:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Hildegard has also become a figure of reverence within the contemporary New Age movement, mostly due to her holistic and natural view of healing, as well as her status as a mystic. She was the inspiration for Dr. Gottfried Hertzka's "Hildegard-Medicine", and is the namesake for June Boyce-Tillman's Hildegard Network, a healing center that focuses on a holistic approach to wellness and brings together people interested in exploring the links between spirituality, the arts, and healing,.[52] Hildegard's reincarnation has been debated since 1924 when Austrian mystic Rudolf Steiner lectured that a nun of her description was the past life of Russian poet Vladimir Soloviev,[53]

So it takes just 2 minutes of editting before you add the description.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly we need information on what region and what dates the ancillary was active in. For objects (artefacts) like books you do not need an end date. For people (character) we need the dates they were active not the birth date. For example, Hildegard von Bingen's dates according to wikipedia are 1098 – 17 September 1179. But it states that she began her active career in 1136. Therefore we add the dates 1136-1179.

Example of raw text from wikipedia:

Blessed Hildegard of Bingen (German: Hildegard von Bingen; Latin: Hildegardis Bingensis) (1098 – 17 September 1179), also known as Saint Hildegard, and Sibyl of the Rhine, was a writer, composer, philosopher, Christian mystic, German Benedictine abbess, visionary, and polymath.[2] Elected a magistra by her fellow nuns in 1136, she founded the monasteries of Rupertsberg in 1150 and Eibingen in 1165. One of her works as a composer, the Ordo Virtutum, is an early example of liturgical drama.[3]
    She wrote theological, botanical and medicinal texts, as well as letters, liturgical songs, poems, and arguably the oldest surviving morality play, while supervising brilliant miniature Illuminations.

Example of the text in the format we require:

Blessed Hildegard of Bingen (1136-1179), also known as Saint Hildegard, and Sibyl of the Rhine, was a writer, composer, philosopher, Christian mystic, German Benedictine abbess, visionary, and polymath.Elected a magistra by her fellow nuns in 1136, she founded the monasteries of Rupertsberg in 1150 and Eibingen in 1165. One of her works as a composer, the Ordo Virtutum, is an early example of liturgical drama. She wrote theological, botanical and medicinal texts, as well as letters, liturgical songs, poems, and arguably the oldest surviving morality play, while supervising brilliant miniature Illuminations.

NOTE: When pasting large amounts of text into a cell in Excel

• You need to make sure you double-click the actual cell. The text needs to go into ONE CELL. If you do not do this your text will flow over into all the cells below.
    • If the cell expands and drops down you need to go up to the tool bar, press the fourth icon from the left (wrap text) and the cell will magically go back to its original size. If the cell is still very large- you need to take out the gaps and spaces between the paragraphs

HERE IS THE EXCEL SHEET
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...RudkE&hl=en_US

Thank you for your help, you are helping yourself to get the game brought to you quicker!
    Last edited by Hengest; January 15, 2012 at 05:51 PM.

We are looking for someone to assign UI pics to buildings. If you don't know how but want to help, you can follow the directions below- it's actually very simple. We have all the pictures you need in our archives, we just need someone with the time to actually do it.

I recommend irfanview, it's a free program and a lot quicker and
    simpler than photoshop. All you need to do is resize and rename really- so
    irfanview will be the quicker way to do it.

To add images you need to do the following:

Buildings

1) Go to the 'mods\dots\data\ui' folder.

2) Click on one of the culture folders, such as southern_european.

3) Click on the 'buildings' folder.

4) Add the 72 by 62 pixel picture and name it in the following format
    #[culture]_[building name]. Replace [culture] with the faction's
    culture and [building name] with the building's name, for example
    "#southern_european_militia_barracks".

5) Add the 300 by 245 pixel picture and name it in the following
    format #[culture]_[building name]_constructed. Replace [culture] with
    the faction's culture and [building name] with the building's name,
    for example "#southern_european_militia_barracks_constructed".

6) Repeat for all buildings.

7) Copy all the 72 by 62 pixel pictures into the 'construction' folder.

8) Repeat for all cultures.
    Last edited by Meneth; February 06, 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Default Re: Got an hour to donate?

Will do a few. I just scrolled through the list and got a question: Can I also edit the ancillary names or will this break something transfering it to code? For example, I found "Gero Kreuz" on the list. Obviously, you want to use the correct german term. That would either be the german compound words "Gerokreuz" or "Gerokruzifix". In the case of the "Lotharkreuz" it's correct.

Edit: Also, how do I know the name of the relevant regions? Is there a list somewhere?
    Last edited by Coprolite; September 02, 2011 at 05:36 AM.

Ernest von Lauenburg's Avatar Laetus

May we also include some our ideas? Cause I didn't find there any Polish ancilliaries?

Just starting now, hoping to get alot done, perhaps it will be quantity over quality however;

and on that note i have a few questions:

If all i have if that someone was an italian poet...

Limited to Cultures: Would this be an outright No (anyone passing through italy could pick this guy up) or a conservative ne/se/ce to keep him only within europeon cultures.

In other words shall i be strict with the evidence and therefore No unless there is direct evidence to confine him to a culture?

Active dates: All i've got is 'late 12 century' so does '~1160-' suffice? Or shall i play at guessing?

Limited to region: I'm telling you this is the smallest wiki article i've ever seen, all i've got is Italy, so i'm just going to write that?

Trying to be as helpful as possible without being too pedantic, if you give me some guides on these points others can read it and hopefully have an easier job, thanks =)

*Edit* the town is in his name, it's in Tuscany, my bad =/
    Last edited by Mighty_Matt; September 02, 2011 at 12:33 PM.

PIPA and SOPA are “the equivalent of being angry and trying to take action against Ford just because a Mustang was used in a bank robbery.” - Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian

Coprolite: Yes please correct any names, if a major correction then it might be useful to add the common English name as a reference. For Region, please just add roughly the closest major city, and we'll do the rest.

Ernest von Lauenburg Of course, but PLEASE PLEASE follow the guidelines set out above or I will flip! :p

Mighty_Matt Good question mate, Ok...
    Limited to Cultures: We don't have to be too precise with this. Culture and faction cells do NEED to be filled in, only if they are relevant. For instance, a Muslim army moving through 15th Century Italy may have easily picked up the artist Donatello (was he alive then? anyway...) since maybe he was the kind of guy who wanted to get out of town and see the world, but a saint, or someone like Hildegard von Bingen is not going to follow Muslims (we assume!) so we should cite 'catholic' under culture. I know that technically catholic isn't a culture, but it works for us fine in this case.

Active dates: Yepp guessing game is fine. If it states 'early 12th century' I normally write 1100-1150 since we need about 25-50 years to cover a normal career. But exact dates and info are sometimes going to be wrong, I mean we are re-writing history after all. The main point is that we don't have the birth to death dates in the 'dates' cell, we need their dates of active career life- the years they were influencing the world.

Limited to region: Again, it's tricky- what can you do if you don't have all the info? I think approx region is fine. It might be useful to colour a cell yellow if it is guesswork or rough info. We can then take a look at that later and make a quick informed decision.

Thanks guys- this REALLY helps a lot. I mean loads!

Just one more thing.... some of the cells seem to be very large still. You have to remove the spaces between paragraphs (no paragraphs basically).

Also, we can't have "~1400-1431" or "Circa 1204". We can only use digits and the "-" symbol. We also NEED both start and end dates of the career, if you don't know just guess and colour the cell yellow.
    Last edited by Hengest; September 02, 2011 at 02:07 PM.

Changes made

Working on!

*edit* Also, just a note, an anonamous poem i put down as an atifact carried no region, however the subject of the poem is a dark age battle that took place in Navarre so i put it there, i hoped doing so would add to the rpg element of the ancillery?
    Last edited by Mighty_Matt; September 02, 2011 at 02:26 PM.

PIPA and SOPA are “the equivalent of being angry and trying to take action against Ford just because a Mustang was used in a bank robbery.” - Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian

I'm planning to get 26 + of them done tomorrow. Just one question, normal copy and paste does not seem to work, however I do it I still get a blank field.

Think i did about 13 in the past few hours, stepping down for the day now.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lyndon View Post
    I'm planning to get 26 + of them done tomorrow. Just one question, normal copy and paste does not seem to work, however I do it I still get a blank field.
    I'm using ctrl+C, ctrl+V don't know if you tried that already?

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Matt View Post
    Think i did about 13 in the past few hours, stepping down for the day now.

I'm using ctrl+C, ctrl+V don't know if you tried that already?
    It works! thanks!

It's all good guys, great days work. Well done. A massive milestone.

Keep in mind that the text in your descriptions should have no line-breaks, no indentations. It should be one solid block of text. I editted a few at the top of the list already Beirdd y Tywysogion was one of the culprits and Chardon de Croisilles still is.

Another question: If I just write 'Barcelona' or 'Tunisia' or 'Monte Cassino', will you guys be able to figure out which regions will be under the influence of this particular person, because I don't know which regions are included in this mod and which aren't.

Yeah I think I mentioned that above. Just make it as precise as you can, we'll do the rest. What's most helpful is knowing the closest major city. As I say any guesswork just highlight the cell yellow

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lyndon View Post
    Another question: If I just write 'Barcelona' or 'Tunisia' or 'Monte Cassino', will you guys be able to figure out which regions will be under the influence of this particular person, because I don't know which regions are included in this mod and which aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Yeah I think I mentioned that above. Just make it as precise as you can, we'll do the rest. What's most helpful is knowing the closest major city. As I say any guesswork just highlight the cell yellow
    Hross, I've emailed you about helping with this column in the sheet.

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

Hey iam serious , i want to help just give detailed information on what i need to do HROSS
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

What if, in the course of our inputting, we realize that our subject would make a better scripted character (i.e. emerging general) than ancillary? For example, I just finished Henry II "le débonnaire" who was a trouvère, but also a political figure––the Duke of Brabant, who commanded troops under the German Emperor. Now, I've gone ahead and filled in all the relevant info, but I am really thinking he should appear in game as a general. At the very least, is there a way to ensure that he *only* appears as ancillary to the Holy Roman Emperor himself, and not a lesser general? Please advise.
    Last edited by Cyprian2; September 03, 2011 at 11:48 AM.

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

Hross are the empty descriptions in the link all that are left ? I mean is the file constantly being updated?
    I think that i will make a lot of work tomorrow.
    Last edited by Megasalexandros; September 03, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

Quote Originally Posted by Megasalexandros View Post
    Hross are the empty descriptions in the link all that are left ? I mean is the file constantly being updated?
    I think that i will make a lot of work tomorrow.
    I wondered the same thing but it has definitely been updated since I saw it yesterday so my guess is yes.
    Looking forward to Dominion of the Sword
    PSN ID: mynameisowen; add me if you play GT5 or Battlefield.

I now know all about Trouvères, chansonniers and alexandrines.

My Dear Hross

Here are some interesting issues that I came across while contributing to the spreadsheet. A few complications when it comes to ancillaries. Don't be afraid now , dive into the wall of text.

Ibn al-Zarqali was good astronomer from toledo before the castilians had it. In 1085 he fled for his life when Alfonso sacked the city. They say he might have fled to Cordoba or died in a Moorish refuge camp.

It seems that he does not like the Castilians. How can Castile have this ancillary?

Would this mean an Islamic faction (or someone who would treat the conquest more nicely) would have to take Toledo before 1085 (historically the end of his career)? I imagine this would be hard in dots. Making him a very rare ancillary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secretum secretorum was a popular book on statecraft and related subjects supposedly written by Aristotle to Alexander the great. Probably the most read in the high middle ages.

Original from Arabic 942 apparently from a Greek scripture. “The Arabic version was translated into Persian (at least twice), Ottoman-Turkish (twice), Hebrew (and from Hebrew into Russian), Castilian and Latin”

There are two Latin translations from the Arabic, the first one dating from around 1120 by John of Seville for the a Portuguese queen (preserved today in some 150 copies) , the second one from circa 1232 by Philippus Tripolitanus, made in the Near East (Antiochia) (preserved today in over 350 copies) The Latin Secretum secretorum was eventually translated into Czech, Russian, Croatian, Dutch, German, Icelandic, English, Catalan, Castilian, Portuguese, French, Italian and Welsh.”

So for the Latin text the region it appears in might be say : 1120 Portugal, Sevillle 1232: Antioch. Then it goes wild all over Europe post 1232. Another thing to consider is that the arabic version was translated into “Persian (at least twice), Ottoman-Turkish (twice), Hebrew (and from Hebrew into Russian)”

The region it appears in is eventually almost everywhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Volto Santo di Lucca (the holy face of lucca) is a large wooden sculpture of jesus on the cross that belongs in the cathedral of San Martino in Lucca.

Do you think its weird for a general to drag it around everywhere he goes? Unless the game may give it to a general who stays in lucca and once the general leaves he loses the ancillary?

Please consider these when finalizing the spreadsheet. Also may i have some more spreadsheet?
    Last edited by Meneth; February 06, 2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Double post

Ibn al-Zarqali you can just specify which factions or cultures the anicillary should be limited to.

Any pre-medieval books that were important in the Middle Ages can be added no problem

Any copies of books that 'exploded' in numbers or spread across the world- this can be acheived by specifying if the amount of the ancillary and how many should be in the campaign. Several regions can be listed in the text cell. Make sure that if there were 10 copies of a book, that you do not write 'about 10' or 'approx. 10' just write '10'!

For the Volto di Lucca, there is no way to represent the difficulties of taking a large cross everywhere. It is plausible that a noble would take a large piece of furniture with him on campaign, nobles had a large entourage and in their camp had a number of luxuries.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast