Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dwarf and Hobbit Ponymen?

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: Dwarf and Hobbit Ponymen?

Depends on how narrow or wide your definition of gunpowder is, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    Depends on how narrow or wide your definition of gunpowder is, you know.
    Well not really. The word "Gunpowder" tends to refer to, well..... gunpowder! It may come in various qualities or levels of purity depending on the time period/ region/ and setting, but it's always gunpowder. With all due respect, I've yet to see any definition of gunpowder which would include TNT or any other modern explosives.
    I'm not really a noob, just a serial lurker.....

Damn, they can see me now!
    [runs back into the shadows]

And what exactly do you think is used by modern cartridges? It's called gunpowder by many, but is in fact a range of modern synthetic explosive propellants based on cordite.

Gunpowder is not a single defined substance. Black powder is. The difference is not in purity or , it is in the chemical content.

Perhaps "The Fire of Orthanc", is a substance similar to Greek fire. It burns unnaturally powerfully, isn't easily stopped, and like Greek fire it lets out a loud noise and acrid smoke when used. Maybe "The Fire of Orthanc" is Middle-Earth's version of Greek fire- something else the nature of which we don't really understand. Who knows, maybe Greek fire is even a strange kind of 'gunpowder'? [That is a very popular theory, by the way]
    Co-Leader of BRITANNIAE: INVASIO SAXONUM

Eohelm's Avatar Semisalis

I've heard many different propositions from many historians on what Greek fire could really be. Even my own history professors are divided on that front. I like to think that in Arda, the Fire of Orthanc is a wizard's magic.

But it's LotR. It's so wonderful and appealing partially because of how vague and mystical some of the mystical things really are. This isn't a bunch of wizards throwing balls of fire or shiney lights at each other the explode on impact as a law. It's real magick. The kind of mythical thing that always held you enchanted as a kid when anyone mentioned Merlin or Arthur or any of the old stories on wizards and such.

OR maybe that's just me. XD
    "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath."

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

From what I know, Greek Fire does not explode in the way gunpowder does. Thus it cannot be used to collapse walls.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Greek fire was a version of naphtha, an oil based substance thrown over walls during sieges, which the Romans adapted for use on ships.

Regarding Greeks inventing everything, I am not buying it. Like the case when they "invented" the catapult - right after a Carthaginian army left the walls of Syracuse due to plague, after having taken most of Siciliot Greek towns by storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    Regarding Greeks inventing everything, I am not buying it.
    That's true. We invented only the good stuff. Everything else is barbaric.

Back to the topic (sort of); there are loads of reactions that can cause explosions, finding a name for the substance(s) used in LotR is probably an exercise in futility...

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Well, if Aradan said it, it must be true.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

That's what everyone says...

Kudos to your people though. The world would be vastly different without them

Anyway...No to gunpowder for sure.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Not wastly. Modern technology owes pretty much nothing to ancient Greece.

Yah, we would probably have different philosophy and stuff, but even our mentality is product of that of Germanic-Iranian nomads + Christianity, and government - thay stuff changes often. Not that far back British ideologists were idealizing the Achaemenids.

Actually, when the Empire Of The Great Aryan Azadan arises in 2035, all will be based on the Achaemenids and Sassanids, and Zoroastrianism will be imposed on the decadent world... if all goes to plan. :

I detect a slight hint of anti-greek-ism... Probably the result of prolonged exposure to the "greeks did everything" crowd. I can empathise, but I think it has driven you towards the opposite end of extreme.
    Technology means mathematics, and mathematics means building upon what others created before you; and the foundations of mathematics include a lot of ancient Greece, fact.

Now, end to off-topic, back to Middle-earth please.

And yes, we'll have gunpowder in the game, an elite unit of Dunlendish Fusiliers. On camels.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

And yes, we'll have gunpowder in the game, an elite unit of Dunlendish Fusiliers. On camels.
    Oooo...Can they be upgraded to rifles?
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

I'll be honest, I hope that's a joke.

Sometimes it's kind of hard to tell online... Waiting for my sarcasm identifying modification algorithm-majigger to kick in. Just gotta de-bug the bloody thing...
    "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath."

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Oooo...Can they be upgraded to rifles?
    At tier-2, yes. And then at tier-3 to laser-guided bazookas.

Quote Originally Posted by Eohelm View Post
    I'll be honest, I hope that's a joke.

Sometimes it's kind of hard to tell online... Waiting for my sarcasm identifying modification algorithm-majigger to kick in. Just gotta de-bug the bloody thing...
    Why would I ever make a joke about Dunlendish Fusiliers? One doesn't joke about that stuff, it's serious!

About them mathematics - the foundation of pretty much all mathematics was Babylon and Egypt, tbh. I am not trying to belittle your ancestors' achievements, it's just that pretty much the entire foundation of mathematics and astronomy had been laid by ~1200BC, in the middle east.

Same goes for various technology, but, as you said, better get back to Tolkien.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Noldor >>>>>>>> Greeks

Mounted Fusiliers is pretty retarded btw.
    Last edited by Thangaror; December 06, 2011 at 04:44 PM.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Mounted Fusiliers is pretty retarded btw.
    Agreed. But what about mounted siege crossbow men? On ponies? They could shoot the Ring over Sauron't defences.

At tier-2, yes. And then at tier-3 to laser-guided bazookas.

Why would I ever make a joke about Dunlendish Fusiliers? One doesn't joke about that stuff, it's serious!
    I was about to go on about how confused I was until I read the words "laser-guided bazookas".

EDIT: Guess who finally got his copy of Barbarian Invasion in the mail! This guy! And, cos it came on Rome: Gold Edition, it's already patched! I am downloading now...

Only problem is that the internet at my college dorm is so slow right now, it says I have nine hours to go...oh well. Worth it! Rejoice!
    Last edited by Eohelm; December 08, 2011 at 06:24 PM.

Durnaug's Avatar Campidoctor

Ah, I understand at last: Ponies with crossbows! It all makes sense now. Sort of like "Francis the Talking Mule" meets "Ladyhawke" - I love it.

I'll get my coat...

PS I was even going to crack a joke about the Carthaginian Pony Infantry from the vanilla game but then who would remember those guys? Okay where's my coat...
    Last edited by Durnaug; December 11, 2011 at 09:05 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast