Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crimes Against the Republic, The Basilica Aemilia and the Trial of a Warlord

Default Crimes Against the Republic, The Basilica Aemilia and the Trial of a Warlord

The Trial of Catugantrix

Almost three years had passed since Catugantrix had been captured in battle by the armies of Rome. He had marched in Cincinnatus' triumph and spent the subsequent time in one of Rome's filthy prisons. Finally the People had decided to bring charges against the leader of their enemy, the Allobroges. The People of Rome have petitioned the Praetors to hear their case, in which the accuse Catugantrix of fomenting rebellion, murdering Roman citizens, and sedition. Aulus Terentius Fiber and Quintus Antonius Diripio, the presiding Praetors, shall be the judges of Catugantrix. The People have asked their tribunes, Lucius Titus Regulus and Aulus Junius Horatius to lead the prosecution against the Gallic warlord. Thus far no Roman has stepped forward to defend him.

The Trial shall begin when all the involved magistrates have gathered in the forum.

(opportunity for these individuals to get points!)

Tribunus

Default Re: Crimes Against the Republic, The Basilica Aemilia and the Trial of a Warlord

Aulus Ovidius Priscus will represent Catugantrix.

Lanthe's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Crimes Against the Republic, The Basilica Aemilia and the Trial of a Warlord

Aulus Junius Horatius will lead the prosecution and asks his colleague Lucius Titus Regulus to join prosecution against the vile enemy or Rome.
    Last edited by Lanthe; September 01, 2011 at 01:44 AM.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Consul Decimus enters the Basilica, hopefully the trail would be finished before lunch.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Lucius Titus Regulus arrives and sees his fellow Tribune, Aulus. He approaches the man and waits for the trial to begin. This would be a speedy trial hopefully and one where Catugantrix would be given his due punishment.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

PatrickR's Avatar Centenarius

Aulus Terentius Fiber takes his place as a judge.
    The place, the props, the ploys.
    Debauchery, discovery,
    deceit, damnation, death... of course it plays.

Praetor Quintus Antonius Diripio enters and awaits the arrival of his fellow Praetor before the proceedings can begin.

Aulus greets his fellow Praetor.

'Well met, Quintus. Are you ready and prepared for the proceedings?'
    Debauchery, discovery,

The same to you, Aulus. I believe everyone has arrived and we can commence.

Diripio turns to the men who have gathered in the Basilica

My fellow Romans. Today, we shall demonstrate, to citizen and barbarian alike, the justice that is brought through Roman law. Catugantrix has been defeated and cast in irons. He is at the mercy of Rome. Yet, we shall show that Rome does not seek swift vengeance. That Rome is not ruled by anger and fury. No, we shall show that Rome is ruled by reason. Reason and law. And, in accordance with Roman law, Catugantrix will stand trial.

We shall weigh the arguments of both prosecutor and defender and determine Catugantrix' guilt of the crimes committed against the Republic.

Sedition...Rebellion...Murder. Those are the crimes of which Catugantrix stands accused. Crimes which are of such a grave nature, that, upon a verdict of guilt, the only possible punishment is death. So let all who speak in this matter, be assured of the importance of their words and the consequences that they may bear.

Now, I give the word to our honourable Tribunes and prosecutors. They shall present the arguments of the people of Rome.

Diripio gestures to the Tribunes to begin. He sits back down and whispers to Praetor Aulus:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "So which punishment do you prefer for this barbarian? I believe a spectacle in the arena would be most fitting....and entertaining."
    Last edited by Rhio; September 01, 2011 at 10:34 AM.

Lanthe's Avatar Decanus

Aulus Junius Horatius steps forth dressed in traditional roman clothing with royal colors of red, blue and white.

"Is there anyone who wants to speak for this abomination that can hardly called a man?" Aulus said mocking the curshed enemy leader and wave his hand in a way showing confidence.

"I would not blame anyone for not wanting to, for what is there to defend? Treason against our divine republic itself and against our gods will? People Rome, in front you see what comes to those who set their will against you!"
    Roman struggle - Marcus Quintilius Rufus

I believe Senator Priscus will speak in defence of Catugantrix, Tribune.

Lanthe's Avatar Decanus

Aulus glared quickly to Quintus "The fact is clear to me" he said with low voice not to let the crowd hear his words. "The fact is that the people have come to see brutal and confident prosecution of this man and we shall provide them one." Aulus turned his head back to the crowd and continued saying "I was merely calling our dear Quaestor to come forth".

Tribunus

"Horatius, I've been here the entire time. Perhaps you were blinded by those playful colours you wear?"

Aulus gave the Tribune an amused glare, if such a thing were possible. Before striding out to the centre of the plaza and facing the gathered senators and plebs.

"Is it necessary to degrade our enemy?"

There had been a lull of conversation, as those gathered quietly discussed amongst themselves the varying trivialities of their recent endeavours and the recent grandstanding of Horatius, but it quickly fell silent as all eyes turned to Aulus.

"Is it Roman? Are we so simple that we cannot see past whatever prejudices we have developed, that we can't simply accept the actions of one individual as their own? I think not. Many of you are no doubt asking yourselves why I would stand for this man, I will tell you why. I stand for this man, in his defence, because I do not fear him. I do not doubt that the justice of Rome will see fit to determine for him a sentence fitting his actions but I refuse to stand by and let that same justice be subverted by those who use it for their gain."

Aulus stood, as tall and straight of back as age would allow him, and looked out into the crowd.

"Thousands of Roman sons, Roman brothers... thousands have died to defend the Republic and its laws. Was their sacrifice in vain? Are we to surrender our morals out of fear of a man whom we have had imprisoned now for three years, a man who is already broken. We have nothing further to fear from this man."

He turned to the Tribune, every eye still following his movement.

"Are we to allow our pride to control us? This man, bedecked as he is in colours designed to appeal to children, speaking of abominations and divinity. It was not the will of the Gods which drove Rome to greatness, it was not the will of the Gods that saw our troops to victory, we claimed victory because we are strong. We claimed victory because we are just."

Aulus turned to the Praetors.

"Let not this talk of divinity and the gods distract you from the simple fact that we have nothing more to fear from this man, to kill him now would be an act of hubris as he is already defeated. Are the charges against him true? That is not my place to decide, what I will say is that to kill this man would prove only that the great Roman Republic saw a defeated and imprisoned barbarian as a threat.

Lanthe's Avatar Decanus

Aulus smirked to Quastor and relaxed his act a bit.

"How gentle and merciful words, sadly they are used to defend not so gentle and merciful man".

Aulus looked Priscus and raised his hands.

"You speak as we would fear this man and be scared to show him mercy? I think none of this and certainly do not fear
    this man. But instead of fear, I as many of you loathe him, hate him for his actions against Rome. And before you
    think that I would be so petty to prosecute this man only for my own feelings for him, no, I am here to see that this
    man gets the punishment that he deserves for his actions according to our laws."

Aulus looked around the crowd

"As it has been said, Thousands of Rome's own sons, Your blood has been spilled in account of this man. It does not matter
    has he defeated them at his own or was it his army that did it, he is still countable."

After this Prosecutors eyes turned back on Priscus

"Say Aulus, would you not punish a thief if you knew that he wouldn't ever steal again? Probably you would for
    he has to pay for his past crimes as does this man, not for the one's he could commit in the future. Of course this is
    not case of petty theft, but that is all the more reason to enforce our laws that are there for a purpose and not
    to be disregared."

After this Aulus held a short pause to rise tension.

"Tell me one more thing Aulus, if you would have been one of the soldiers that were killed by this man, would you feel
    that he deserves mercy, would you grant him it if it was your choice?"

After his speech Aulus took one step backwards and waited for answer and to let his colleagues to speak.

Diripio rises from his seat and interrupts.

Quaestor...let me remind you that you are here to defend Catugantrix against the charges brought against him. If we merely wanted to hear pleads for his life, we would've turned to the barbarian himself.

This trial will deal with facts and it are facts that I want to see being brought forward. From both you and the Tribune.

Aulus whispered back, continuing to observe the trial.

'
    Perhaps, perhaps, although I more favour quick disposals of enemies.'
    Debauchery, discovery,

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Lucius stands up.

Showing mercy to this man is not our way...if he had not been captured, Rome's citizens in Gaul would be unable to sleep well, knowing barbarians are roaming just over the hills. If this man were to be released, he would come back and try to bite at us once more. We ought to dispose of this man as soon as possible.

Lucius then sits down afterwards.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; September 02, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Praepositus
    Citizen

OOC: Gaul...

IC: The Consul watched proceedings with interest, though it appeared to him that the Praetors were already nearing their decision.

Lucius' statement is met by cheers of approval from the assembled audience that has packed into every corner of the Basilica.

Lanthe's Avatar Decanus

Among the cheering people was Aulus, not shouting, but showing movements of agreement.

"The trial seems to be in our favor, not that I would been doubting Rome's wish for this mans death." Aulus said quietly to Lucius.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast