Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RTW Alex exe for RTR VII

Default RTW Alex exe for RTR VII

is it possible to play RTR VII using Alexander expansion? I have to modify any files to make it run with Alex.exe?

debux's Avatar Senator

Default Re: RTW Alex exe for RTR VII

I'm not sure, but I believe all you need is to edit the target line, change a few lines of text in the .txt files and move a file from the .alex folder into the mod folder. I'm not entirely sure though.

I'm also pretty sure that it would somehow affect the game, because I don't think the alex.exe has the religions system, something quite relevant in the gameplay of VII
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Indefinitely Banned

I'm sure that there were a few people who converted FOE for the Alex EXE but I've no idea how it behaved. No doubt somebody will try it with VII.

I am interested as well. Can anyone post instructions please?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

If RTR VII don't have horde and swimming feature it's quite easy to run using Alex. If there is then there's quite a few to edit.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Indefinitely Banned

Well neither are used in VII, so we should be OK in that respect.

When I get back home maybe I look into installing the mod using Alex and see how it goes.

Need to 'find' it first though..

Indefinitely Banned

I know that Brusilov has looked into using the Alex EXE in the past. It may be worth having a chat with him.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

It's FLORIN that made the tutorial on it.

I will looksie at it tonight,my RTR and fire it up and pass the details on to yah. The target is only one thing to use,chat filter san is the main part,placed in your mod folder. Immortality trait has to be adjusted also. I use ALEX in TE well,but have no tried RTR yet,will apply same alteration and see.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

The R:TW Alex exe can be used for R:TW and R:TW mods easily. Clearly you need to have the exe in the game folder and the chat_filter.san file in the \alexander\data folder copies to the main data folder.

I think on the shortut properties you need the switch -mod: no_alex (or something like that). This will allow you to launch the mod without starting the Alexander campaign.

The problem is that the faction leader gets the 'immortal' trait from that game. It's only immortal in the sense that your faction leader will not die of old age - they can be killed in battle.

You will see the Faction Leader get to about 120 years old and then go back to 1......

A long time ago someone (not florin80) from the EBII team had a thread somewhere that explained what changes needed to be made to the files in order to stop the 'immortal' trait.

I did use it and it worked OK. I took a copy of the details and have included them below and in a text file. The last bit looks a bit suspect (the u2019 bits).

I only ever made the changes for the removal of the 'immortal trait'.

Some mods, like RSII, will detect the presence of the R:TW Alex exe and make the changes for you. Maybe someone from the RTR team can find out how that's done? I know there is co-operation between the teams

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

STEP I:
    Edit 3 files
    a) Go - ''Rome - Total War folder/eb/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt''
    Open the file and add the Immortal description at the end of trait section! That should look like this:

;------------------------------------------
    ;Trait: CeasesAmbassador
    ; o Ceases_Ambassador (1):

Trait CeasesAmbassador
    Characters diplomat
    AntiTraits Ambassador

Level Ceases_Ambassador
    Description Ceases_Ambassador_desc
    EffectsDescription Ceases_Ambassador_effects_desc
    Threshold 1

Trait Immortal
    Characters family
    Hidden

Level Immortal
    Description Immortal_desc
    EffectsDescription Immortal_effects_desc
    Threshold 1

;Mod: EBMod801 - 12/31/05 : trait to make diplomats better when stationed in a settlement for EB 0.7.2.1
    ;===============================================================
    ;Section: == TRIGGER DATA STARTS HERE ==
    ;===============================================================

Then save!

Then, In the same folder you should make night_battle trrigers back to use!
    That should look like this!:

;NIGHT FIGHTING SECTION
    Trigger diet_of_carrots_1
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart

Condition Trait NightBattleCapable = 0
    and IsGeneral
    and Attribute Command >= 4

Affects NightBattleCapable 6 Chance 100

Trigger diet_of_carrots_2
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition IsGeneral
    and Attribute Command >= 1
    and IsNightBattle
    and Trait NightBattleCapable = 0
    and WonBattle

Affects NightBattleCapable 6 Chance 100

Trigger night_battle_crushing_victory_attacker
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition WasAttacker
    and IsGeneral
    and WonBattle
    and BattleSuccess >= clear
    and BattleOdds < 2
    and IsNightBattle

Affects Noctophilia 1 Chance 100

Trigger night_battle_crushing_victory_defender
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition not WasAttacker
    and IsGeneral
    and WonBattle
    and BattleOdds < 2
    and IsNightBattle

Affects Noctophilia 1 Chance 100

Trigger night_battle_crushing_loss_attacker
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition WasAttacker
    and IsGeneral
    and not WonBattle
    and BattleOdds >= 0.5
    and IsNightBattle

Affects Noctophobia 1 Chance 66

Trigger night_battle_crushing_loss_defender
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition not WasAttacker
    and IsGeneral
    and not WonBattle
    and BattleOdds >= 0.5
    and IsNightBattle

Affects Noctophobia 1 Chance 66
    ; StrategicSkill shown by bringing bigger battalions

b) Go - ''Rome - Total War folder/eb/data/export_descr_VnVs_enums.txt''
    Open the file and add the specified enums at the far end of the txt file! That should look like this:

Immortal
    Immortal_desc
    Immortal_effects_desc
    Night_Fighter
    Night_Fighter_desc
    Night_Fighter_effects_desc
    Noctophiliac
    Noctophiliac_desc
    Noctophiliac_effects_desc

Then save !

c) Go - ''Rome - Total War folder/eb/data/text\export_VnVs.txt'' Add one trait and replace one trait ''Rome - Total War folder/eb/data/text\export_VnVs.txt'' folder!

REPLACE

¬--------------------

{Legendary_Hero} Legendary Hero

{Legendary_Hero_desc}
    Like Horatius, this man's bravery knows no bounds. He is rightly famed among Romans as Aeneas reborn, or even a new Romulus!

{Legendary_Hero_effects_desc}
    +4 Morale for all troops on the battlefield, +1 Influence

¬--------------------

WITH

¬--------------------

{Legendary_Hero} Legendary Hero

{Legendary_Hero_desc}
    Like Horatius, this man's bravery knows no bounds. He is rightly famed among Romans as Aeneas reborn, or even a new Romulus!

{Legendary_Hero_effects_desc}
    +4 Morale for all troops on the battlefield, +1 Influence

{Night_Fighter_effects_desc}
    +1 Command when fighting at night

¬--------------------

AND ADD

¬--------------------
    {Immortal} Immortal

{Immortal_desc}
    Hidden immortal trait

{Immortal_effects_desc}
    No Effects

¬--------------------

d) Now edit your ''Rome - Total War folder/eb/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt'' folder by adding the line at the start of Campaign section (at the top of the file.). It should look like this:
    ; Helix 4 build
    ; Campaign file generated by the Trivium independant Map Editor (TiME) (c) MrHide - The Trivium Organisation
    ; Forums: http://www.thetrivium.org/php
    ; Contact: MrHide@thetrivium.org

campaign imperial_campaign
    options +prebattle_night_battle_tickbox
    playable
    seleucid
    pontus
    scythia
    parthia
    numidia
    romans_julii
    egypt
    gauls
    germans
    britons
    greek_cities
    macedon
    carthage
    romans_scipii
    dacia
    armenia
    spain
    thrace
    romans_brutii
    saba
    slave
    nd
    unlockable
    end
    nonplayable

end

start_date -272 summer
    end_date 14 summer

night_battles_enabled
    brigand_spawn_value 50
    pirate_spawn_value 95

e) Now - Copy chat_filter.san from your Alexander/data folder into your the EB\data folder!

These are the finall step's! You should add torches, lighting for night time, lighting to city buildings, and prebattle UI images (that is opional and not included in the download link)

1) To Add torches to the units:
    Copy the following from your \u2019\u2019bi \data\\u2019\u2019 folder to your \u2019\u2019EB \data\folder\u2019\u2019
    Like this:
    \u2019\u2019bi\data\models_unit\attachments\\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\ models_unit\u2019\u2019
    \u2019\u2019bi\data\models_engine\\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\\u2019\u2019
    \u2019\u2019bi\data\models_effects\\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\\u2019\u2019
    \u2019\u2019bi\data\descr_effects.txt\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\\u2019\u2019
    \u2019\u2019bi\data\descr_effects_engine_torch.txt\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\\u2019\u2019
    \u2019\u2019bi\data\descr_effects_torch_fire.txt\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\\u2019\u2019

Note: You can also get these files from XGM or from Archer's SkyMod that are better looking .)

2) Add lighting for night time
    The BI weather and lighting settings look better for night battles than the in vanilla RTW. Copy the following files from \u2019\u2019bi\data\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\\u2019\u2019.
    Like this:
    \u2019\u2019bi\data\descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\\u2019\u2019
    \u2019\u2019bi\data\descr_daytypes.txt\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\\u2019\u2019
    \u2019\u2019bi\data\descr_skydome.txt\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\\u2019\u2019

The weather and lighting settings from Archer's SkyMod look even better. So If you have that mod -Copy the following files from \u2019\u2019SKYMOD_BI\data\u2019\u2019 for \u2019\u2019 Bi \u2019\u2019 only to \u2019\u2019eb\data\\u2019\u2019
    The models folder!
    \u2019\u2019descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\\u2019\u2019
    \u2019\u2019descr_daytypes.txt\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\\u2019\u2019
    \u2019\u2019descr_skydome.txt\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\\u2019\u2019

3) Add prebattle UI images! (optional)

If you skip this step the engine will use a default image that looks as a day battle. All you need to do is put a suitable .TGA image called \u2019\u2019 prebattle_night.tga\u2019\u2019 in every \u2019\u2019data/UI/[culturetype]/eventpics/\u2019\u2019 folder.
    A good image to use is bi/data/UI/roman/eventpics/prebattle_night.tga.

4) Add window lighting to city buildings!

Copy the folder \u2019\u2019 bi\data\models_building\textures\glowing\u2019\u2019 to \u2019\u2019eb\data\ models_building\textures\u2019\u2019

STEP II:

Go to EB shortcut - left clck on the shortcut and chose properties - then - change the Target by copy-paste method (if your RTW is in default install folder)
    "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -mod:eb -show_err -nm -noalexander

or for 64-bit systems
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -mod:eb -show_err -nm -noalexander

or for the ones that use different install folder - just edit the end of the target like this ...\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -mod:eb -noalexander

Last edited by Brusilov; September 02, 2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: some typos

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

If RTR VII already have the night battle then we don't need to add night battles part. AFAIK EB do not have night battle. In any case the night battle is optional and will work without adding that part.

The important thing is the .exe target and chat sans filter. The immortal traits is not important to run the mod with alex, but of course without editing them the faction leader will be immortal... That's all I remember though. Haven't actually done this in 3-4 years...

Citizen

I have the tutorial made by florin80 on a bookmark: here

I also have found the EBII thread that covers what I posted before: here
    Last edited by Brusilov; September 02, 2011 at 03:27 PM.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

What are the advantages of using ALX instead of BI? in RS2 i didn't really notice a difference between the AI just that you could use certain formations using BI.

Brusilov: thanks for your help! I will try to follow your instructions

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Supernaut2k View Post
    What are the advantages of using ALX instead of BI? in RS2 i didn't really notice a difference between the AI just that you could use certain formations using BI.
    This has been brought up time and time again. Please do a search!

The AI is supposed to be more likely to retain units with R:TW Alex - this should mean that you don't meet full stack AI armies with some very depleted units (no guarantee though).

The battlefield AI is supposed to be better.

Sorry, and Thanks for the info. Thats what i originally thought, but the differences seem so subtle to me when playing through RS2 campaigns i wasn't sure if i was missing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    I have the tutorial made by florin80 on a bookmark: here

I also have found the EBII thread that covers what I posted before: here
    I'm not sure it's covered in the links but EB basically is base on RTW while RTR VII on BI.

There are few more steps to make it work specifically for RTR VII.

1. In the maps folder copy and rename the barbarian_invasion folder to imperial_campaign folder

2. Copy and rename barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_name (or something, I forgot the actual name) in the txt folder to imperial_campaign_.... etc.

3. In descr_sm_faction need to edit out the horde entry for Armenia (used for Roman custom battles ?). Not sure how it will effect the custom battle.

If made copies instead of deleting the barbarian_invasion folder/names to imperial_campaign you can play both in either BI 1.6 or Alex 1.9 and the save games are compatible either way.

** maybe placebo effect but I can feel that using Alex the game is much smoother. I dunno. Unless I can run the game in 2 different pc at the same time then maybe I can actually say the different.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ^OvO^ View Post
    ** maybe placebo effect but I can feel that using Alex the game is much smoother. I dunno. Unless I can run the game in 2 different pc at the same time then maybe I can actually say the different.
    Well, it was you that told me years ago to use the R:TW Alex exe when your userid was Lestat......

Because campaigns and AI is fundamentally different (in that it probably won't do the same thing each time) I'd expect any side by side comparison to be pointless.

One thing that I seem to recall happening with the R:TW BI exe was that the AI would usually keep units moving forwards and backwards without really doing anything. I either use R:TW or the R:TW Alex exe (clearly at the moment I am using R:TW BI for RTR VII).

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    Well, it was you that told me years ago to use the R:TW Alex exe when your userid was Lestat......

Because campaigns and AI is fundamentally different (in that it probably won't do the same thing each time) I'd expect any side by side comparison to be pointless.

One thing that I seem to recall happening with the R:TW BI exe was that the AI would usually keep units moving forwards and backwards without really doing anything. I either use R:TW or the R:TW Alex exe (clearly at the moment I am using R:TW BI for RTR VII).
    Back when I was using the ancient pc it does feel the difference...

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Supernaut2k View Post
    Yes, certainly you lose the ability for units to swim and to use the shieldwall formation if you don't use R:TW BI.

For me swimming is fairly pointless as if the unit comes under missile attack they are sitting ducks. Also, when the unit emerges from the water they are usually exhausted and so if they are met by any unit are easily routed. More often than not when the AI tires to swin across a river the unit ends up as 'floaters' and the dead bodies wash away down the river.

I don't use the shieldwall abilty myself as I usally want my front line to be as long as possible - using the shieldwall reduces the units 'frontage' considerably. I tend to put my main line on 'guard mode' and that is enough for then to act as the anvil for the hammer (either cavalry or infantry attacking the flanks).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast