Thread: Suggestion: for more epic battle feeling

Default Suggestion: for more epic battle feeling

I wanted to do this via a pm and then I have read Darths sig so Ill just leave it here.

I wanted to do it myself and I was using a Darths modified by me file for a while but then I was too nub/lazy/notime to make a separate sub dms mod.

Therefore I will suggest for the dms team to implement it to the dms launcher as an option if you decide that this is worth your time / if you decide that it is indeed fun and brings epic feel.

In short: Change amount of soldiers in a single unit; nerf a stat here or buff there to keep the unit balance untouched - so that:

(my work was done before the dlcs but you can just readjust the other units as you like, so that it fits the theme)

(i was balancing around yari ashigaru size and katana samurai size; 300 seems perfect number, at any higher the ai has problems handling units)

(also roman legion had around 6000 men so our stack would end up with around 4000-5000 men which is also pretty accurate)

Yari Ashigaru - 300
    Yari Samurai - 150

Naginata Samurai - 120
    Naginata Monks - 120

Katana Samurai - 100
    No-Dachi Samurai - 100
    Kisho Ninja - 30

Bow Ashigaru - 200
    Bow Samurai - 120
    Bow Monks - 100

Matchlok Ashigaru - 120
    Matchlok Samurai - 100

Light Cavalry - 60
    Yari Cavalry - 80
    Katana Cavalry - 60
    Bow Cavalry - 80
    Great Guard - 40
    General - 15 (not sure about that, thats my wish but with AI suiciding generals this might not really work)

In other words: If we are limited by 20 units per stack and 20 samurai units always beat 20 ashigaru units we can change it by changing amount of men in a samurai/ashigaru unit. Think of it as: The amount of men is determined by popularity of the kind of soldier or of the weapon

Main point: to reduce amount of swords and increase the amount of ashigaru (brings us closer to reality = closer to epic feel of epic battles with rare but strong samurai); while keeping the game balanced

Another thing that should be done is the missile balance. What I mean is: if you think about full samurai army vs full ashigaru army then the samurai army should naturally lose (due to being ridiculously outnumbered) but most importantly because "one shot - one kill" when it comes to arrows flying on the battlefield; both samurai and ashigaru have/should have same vulnerability to the arrows.

And with the reduced size of samurai / increased size of ashigaru the balance chain looks like that:

Arrows > Small amount of men (cos more arrows per a soldier and each soldier is more valueable)
    Large amount of men > Arrows (cos lots of crap soldiers each less valueable; to be the meatshield and absorb the arrows)

So when composing an army you would want:

Yari ashigaru to absorb the enemy arrows so that your precious and valueable samurai dont die to them; At the same time you want to have your bows to fire at his samurai; And you want your samurai to not take arrows, get into meele and then chopchop; And ofc some cavalry here or there

What disturbs me most is the 1.25 ratio of men for Yari Ashigaru and Katana Samurai; IT MUST BE CHANGED; Rest can be balanced around it.

So yeah I was playing like this myself, was really a great experience (except for every time new dms was out i had to remake the file ). Another factor is that I myself cant balance everything (changing unit size requires changing stats of the unit to keep same balance), it just needs whole the community to participate in beta tests.
    Last edited by Friend23; August 31, 2011 at 05:38 AM.

Default Re: Suggestion: for more epic battle feeling

ye and what i forgot to mention a change to training lenght

ashigaru 1 turn
    bow yari samurai 2 turns
    all other samurai 3 turns

light cav 1 turn
    yari bow 2 turns
    other cav 3 turns

Mr Kami's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Suggestion: for more epic battle feeling

Compose a submod with these changes included and add it to the submod section.
    We can only have so many options in the launcher and it is getting a bit crowded to be hounest so we have to pick and choose what to put there and not.