Thread: Napoleon : Masters of Europe (MoE), a new mod by l'Aigle and Steph

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Napoleon : Masters of Europe (MoE), a new mod by l'Aigle and Steph

The Janissaries were VERY conservative and jealous of their place as defender of the Ottomans. There was several attempt to reform the army and modernize it. This result to the creation of the Nizam I Cedit army, in 1799. But they were not seen kindly by the Janissary (with some funny comments, like their uniform is too close fitting, this is indecent...).
    So they were renamed to "Sekban I Cedit", to try to minimize oppisition (Sekban was already used as part of the military of the Ottomans)... But in 1807 they were simply massacred by the Janissaries during the revolt of the Janissaries that deposed and killed Selim III, and disappeared... To be re introduced several years later. In 1826 Sultan Mahmud II abolished the Janissaries, killing 6,000 in the process (they tried a coup when Mahmud announced he would disband them to create a new modern army, but this time he was prepared)..
    Last edited by Steph; August 26, 2015 at 05:00 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Provincial Nizam I Cedit infantry

Provincial Nizam I Cedit mounted infantry

I never imagined the Jannisarries would go so far as to fight their intended replacements in the Empire. That sounds like sheer madness to me.
    Also, snatching away the Nizam seems like something that would hamstring the Ottomans, leaving them reliant on Jannisarries for the bulk of the army again. And they aren't effective in any straight up fight I've tried.

Patrician Artifex

The Janissaries were inefficient, very expensive to maintain, and unreliable. But they were very found of their power and jealous of it. So they were against the new model army, and they revolted in 1807, deposed their sultan and killed him... with most of the Nizâms in the process. This does look like madness, but it clearly shows they are their own interest way before the interest of the Empire.
    I could add an event "Revolt of the Janissary", and make the Nizam not available in 1807. This would be more historical, but first there is no way to replace the head of states in the game unfortunately (it would be nice, we could use this to have Bernadotte in Sweden, Murat in Naples, etc), and second I think it would be frustrating for a human player to lose Nizam after only two years, and then play 8 years without them.

Civis

how about if you make an emergent nation wich is nizam-less?, something like you planned with netherland-holland-belgium-lowcontries ?
    so it could be something like:

1.standar ottos
    2.jannisaries ottos (aviable after 1807?)
    3.later period ottomans with nizam aviable (in 1808?)

this could handle the stuff if the player is not ottoman and want to "help" the revolt liberating them...

If you are ottoman then the problem is heavier, i dont know if is possible to code revolts REGION SPECIFIC (for example...just revolt in two or three states or something, so the player should graps in their homeland trying to defend their actual empire, idk but i guess most players would be PRO-nizam instead of PRO-jannisarie, right?), maybe adding a lot of unrest in some regions, and see if you are capable to handle it, if you destroy all the rebel stacks , then the nizam stays and the jannisaries are abolished, if not, then nizam get replaced by a full cast of jannisaries, but im not sure how this mechanic works in NTW, i remember playing SPAIN and having revolution in ETW, choosing GRAN COLOMBIA(im venezuelan..remember xD?) and then starting my own empire with blackjack and hookers...but again, im not sure if this kind of mechanic is still present in NTW :s.

Patrician Artifex

This won't work. You can add a new faction for custom battle, but cannot add a new emergent in the campaign.
    Script allows forcing rebels in a specific region, but that's all. Cannot force a revolution that easily. So you cannot really change from Selim III to Mahmud II.

Beside, having Nizam in 1808 is not historical, you'd have to get there in 1826 only. So for this one, I think staying with the same roster is the easiest.

Patrician Artifex

Beylik: directly in the service of the Sultan, protect the capital city

Beylik Janissary musketeers (equivalent to line infantry).

Beylik Janissaries "grenadiers" (not actually grenadiers, but similar)

Details

Civis

there is something i ever find odd in every ottoman unit....and its the lack of backpacks...or pouches...or bags or something xD!, i mean, how every guy carry all their bullets, and other small stuff (impliying more "heavy" stuff like tents and stuff being carried by horses/ox/unicorns chariots...even if other nations have their soldiers carrying all their crap with them), i can maybe understand the case of jannisaries (they are high class etilistic guys who probably had a bunch of servants to help them with those mundane task..like carry things in the field), but other regular soldiers, they merely carry a light belt and a ocassional canteen, im not saying its wrong and should be changed...but im just a bit curious about it, any other person had ever think the same?.

ps: those beylic grenadiers are looking good pal, i loved their ketches, a really nice touch, cheers!

Patrician Artifex

CA has been lazy. The variant for ottomans actually have no belt, plumes, or shoulder. I tried adding a belt, but it crashes the game. I suppose I could use a European soldier as a base instead of CA units, and change all the parts.
    But that's a little tedious.
    I don't have any illustration with a backpacks, only some kind of belt

Are these Grenadiers using grenades? I'm aware that Europeans didn't, but I thought the Ottomans were unusual in that they still had grenades.

Patrician Artifex

I don't think they actually did, but I don't have much info on that.

I'm fairly sure vanilla Janissaries have a description that mentions them being the only grenadiers at the time that used grenades. I can't find much one way or the other just googling.

Patrician Artifex

Indeed, CA wrote that in the description... What's the actual value of this?

I was asking if we'd get grenade armed units.

Civis

sappers(and all their diferent national versions) has the ability to throw grenades n.n.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    The Janissaries were VERY conservative and jealous of their place as defender of the Ottomans. There was several attempt to reform the army and modernize it. This result to the creation of the Nizam I Cedit army, in 1799. But they were not seen kindly by the Janissary (with some funny comments, like their uniform is too close fitting, this is indecent...).
    So they were renamed to "Sekban I Cedit"
    , to try to minimize oppisition (Sekban was already used as part of the military of the Ottomans)... But in 1807 they were simply massacred by the Janissaries during the revolt of the Janissaries that deposed and killed Selim III, and disappeared... To be re introduced several years later. In 1826 Sultan Mahmud II abolished the Janissaries, killing 6,000 in the process (they tried a coup when Mahmud announced he would disband them to create a new modern army, but this time he was prepared)..
    Not at all. After Selim III was overthrown by Janissaries and Nizam-ı Cedit disbanded, Mustafa IV succeeded to the throne and janissaries continued serving in the army. However, about a year later, Mahmut II overthrew Mustafa IV and took the throne for himself. His Sadrazam (grand vizier) re-founded Nizam-ı Cedit with a different name which was Sekban-ı Cedit (everything stayed the same except for their name) on 29th of September. However, Mustafa IV and his followers were not exactly happy about all these so they rebelled along with the janissaries in the same year. On 14th of November, they assaulted the Sadrazam's mansion. Sekban-ı Cedit tried to defend the Topkapı Palace (where the Sultan resided) but they were outnumbered and eventually overwhelmed by them. Next day, Mahmut II had to disband Sekban-ı Cedit as a result.

Briefly, Sekban-ı Cedit was basically a revived version of Nizam-ı Cedit with the exact same principles after its abolition. It lasted about two months.

Nizam-ı Cedit (1789-1807) - Janissaries (1807-1808) - Sekban-ı Cedit (29 September 1807-14 November 1807) - Janissaries (1807-1826)

Edit: Nizam-ı Cedit Army was formed in 1789, not 1799.
    Last edited by Wulfric5; August 30, 2015 at 08:51 PM.

Patrician Artifex

yes, I planned to have sappers for Ottomans, and they will have grenades

Patrician Artifex

Cemaat Janissaries (Cemaat = payed soldiers, guarding strategic points on the frontiers & important cities, but not the capitale)

Cemaat Elite Janissaries ("grenadiers)

Cemaat Janissaries light infantry

Cemaat armored janissaries (melee only)

I downloaded all of the variant.packs and stuff like that, do I have to put that in user.script.txt? Masters of Europe again is crashing on desktop.

Patrician Artifex

yes, you need to put that in the userscript, but you can also download the userscript with everything already inside