Page 1 of 245 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Napoleon : Masters of Europe (MoE), a new mod by l'Aigle and Steph

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Napoleon : Masters of Europe (MoE), a new mod by l'Aigle and Steph

Napoleon : Masters of Europe (MoE) is the result of a several months joint effort by l'Aigle and Steph.
    It merges Imperial Eagle from l'Aigle and Vive l'Empereur from Steph.

At the moment, we are merely reserving space for information about this mod, but in the comming days we will add details about the mod, and the first screenshots, so stay tuned.

I will update the first posts regularly, and also create new posts to warn you of the changes and answers questions.

The Opening Post will present an overview of the mod.
    The Second Post will explain the gameplay changes, both for the battle and the campaign.
    The Third Post will present screenshots of the new UI.
    The following posts will present the detailed list of the armies for each faction, with screenshots. Factions with a name in red are playable in the Grand Campaign, and their section will also give information about their campaign objectives.

Latest release Aprial 2015

Scope of the beta version
    The beta/demo is focused on custom battle only (no campaign). We suggest that after installing it, you play NTW only to test Masters of Europe, and you uninstall it before playing another mod, or a campaign. We won't do anything about compatibiliy with other mod.

We have just released the first beta version of the campaign!

Faction information
    Visit this page to have information about the 6 factions playable in the faction. You'll get the full roster, with icone and full name, and when clicking on an icon, you'll see the unit card at the top.

The multi periods are functional: when setting a land battle, you can play with the early, middle or late period. The available units will vary. They have different uniform, and slightly different stats (the French morale drops a little in 1812, and the British morale increase a little).

What to test
    Masters of Europe is currently in Beta version. We have tested it, but we are only two and we may have missed things, so now it's your turn to work! Play as many battles as you want and tell us how it works.

We are particularly interested by feedback on:
    • Installation: everything is working fine for me, but l'Aigle cannot make the sounds work. Despite this possible bug, we have decided to release the beta anyway. So please report installation problems if you have one.
    • Voices. If you hear a unit speaking in the wrong language, please report it
    • Uniforms glitches: there shouldn't be one, but we may have mixed a texture or mesh somewhere. If you see some missing or messy part of uniform, report it, possibly with a screenshot.
    • Names: every unit should have a proper name. If there's a mistake somewhere, please report
    • Stats and balancing: this is the more important part. Tell us how the battle plays.
      • Speed of units when walking/running/charging
      • Reloading speed
      • Damage in range battle
      • Damage in melee
      • Effects of morale
      • Effects of fatigue
      • Balancing of the different types of units and different faction

You can also just tell us about your battle stories!

Installation
    http://stephane.f.david.free.fr/NTW/Download.htm
    The mod is modular, with several parts. You need most of them, some are optionals.
    Don't forget that there could be only one localisation file : remove the localisation from other mods, or you may have before using ours to avoid any conflict. You can keep the default localisation file from CA.
    Warning: the total size of the mod is 687 Mb, but you can download it in several steps.
    We will post regular update and enhancement, and thanks to the modular approach you'll have to download only the changes.

I don't know why, but some of you can read the user.script. It turns out all mess up although it's a simple text file. See the normal content of the user script in the spoiler

Campaign

I have recently added a link to the campaign. This is for beta test. Try only the Grand Campaign (others are not compatible yet), playing as any faction, except Netherlands/Ottomans.

Credits

Team:

Steph : db editing, scripting and UI editing, startpos editing
    l'Aigle : textures and graphics
    Sacrebleu : Portraits
    Prince of Essling : Historical Research
    Sirlion: Additional Italian voices, campaign AI and general help

Mods which are been integrated, fully or partially

Inspirations and technical help
    • Bart07 for inspiration, and to give me the will to make a mod
    • Dee Jay, Alpaca and T.C. for the help and scripts to have custom campaign with more factions
    • T.C. for his help with scripting
    • HusserlTW for his help with the startpos
    • The Hedge Knight for help with formation, useful tips and advice.

Historical research help
    • Prince of Essling
    • Rfmgunner

and a big thank for all the support we are getting in this thread!

If you want to use part of our mod
    Do not use anyhthing from our mod before reading that

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It is likely that many modders will want to use part of our mod, especially l'Aigle textures. Although we hope everyone will like our mod as it is and after trying it you won't want to play any other, it's likely that you will not like some parts of it, and want to change it, or that you have a completly different gameplay or battle mechanism in mind and want to use yours.
    However, our mod took us a lot of time, and we cannot spend time to guarantee any compatibility with other mods. For instance, don't ask us to make an AOI version: if you want to see it, ask the AOI team to do it following the conditions below. Also, with the many weeks spent on the textures, we think it's not really fair if someone just take them and merge them in their own mod.

So we have decided to propose a different approach to modders, and here are the conditions to use part of our mod.

1 - We won't give any textures or UI before we release it for our own mod. I will answer technical questions and explain how to do some things when asked, but if you want a part, you'll have to wait for the public release, and then you can use it.

2 - We organize the mod in several packs. For the textures, each faction has its own packs, including the variants, atlases and icons only. The names of the variants are self explanatory, and will be easy to identify. Each pack can be big : like 100-200 Mb. The game mechanism is in another pack, separated from it.

3 - If you want to use our mod, we ask that you use directly our packs, and do not include them in your installation. Instead, if you want to include for instance the British textures, in your installation instruction, provide a link to the download page for our mod, and tell to download the MoE_Britain.pack. Then, in your uniform table, you'll just have to use the reference to the uniforms in our pack, with your own units and rules.

4 - We ask that you do NOT modify our packs. If you want to modify a detail (exchange epaulette, plumes in a variant, or use your own icon), then in your own pack, include your own icon and variants to overwrite ours.

5 - As a general rule, we don't want modder to modify the atlases, or to copy part of it for their own textures. L'Aigle spent too much time on them! However, we could accept that on a case to case basis : if you want to modify an atlas or take a part of it, contact me to explain what you want to do, and we'll see if we accept. To make it clear: we can allow that, but not by default, only from specific request.

6 - After release, if we modify our atlases or variants, we will post a message to notify everyone of this, and list the changes. We will avoid renaming an existing variant, or deleting one, but rather work by adding stuff. This way, if your mod is based on our pack, your mod should still work as your designed it if we release a new version and someone try to use our update pack with our mod.

Last edited by Steph; April 22, 2015 at 04:50 AM.

Default Re: Napoleon : Masters of Europe (MoE), a new mod by l'Aigle and Steph

so nice, good work aigle and steph!

but it's a pity we cant have more than 20 slots for an army...
    Last edited by panzerschreck; August 30, 2011 at 03:42 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Actually, I could modify the UI to have room for more, but I don't know how to allow recruiting more to fill these slots

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Actually, I could modify the UI to have room for more, but I don't know how to allow recruiting more to fill these slots
    make them cheaper then you can recruit more?

Either hardcoded or in one of the luacs, maybe tc has an idea (would be interested in this too^^).

As said to Primergy, I'm quite confident it's hardcoded. All that Lua does is build the cards and give them functionality, the c++ side of the exe tells Lua how many cards to build :/
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Dee Jay's Avatar I'm gone....

In my mod I have 40 unit cards....

Great name for your new mod by the way, good luck

Patrician Artifex

Can you recruit 40 units in custom battle?

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Wow this looks very professional!
    I wish you all the best of luck with this mod and I will check on it regularly!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jay View Post
    In my mod I have 40 unit cards....

Great name for your new mod by the way, good luck
    yes but we are talking of custom battle, not historical or campaign battles...

Yeah sorry, I done it for the campaign, but it's impossible to mod the game so you recruit more than 20 for custom battle.

Also, with your new unit selection UI for custom battle, I was wondering how that would work on a smaller screen? Because I'm pretty sure I wont be able to fit all that on my laptop.

Patrician Artifex

When I do something, I do it right .

I tried to get down to the smaller resolution I have available, 1024x768, and it's OK although there's not much margin on each side!

Very nice ui

Very nice only just fit it in.

EDIT: HOW MUCH INFANTRY CAN UK GET ?!!??! Or are most of them honor regiments?

Patrician Artifex

I will update the factions list as soon as we finalize the icons.
    Here, it shows all the different time periods for Britain at the same time, since it's easier to check things. It also includes the armed citizens. Soon I will add options in our mod, so in the battle you can have early units or late units, but not both at the same time.
    So normally, you will have 18 British infantry units + KGL infantry + 3 Brunswick infantry. instead of the 38 you can see in the above screenshots.

In the same way, there are 8 cavalry units (+ 2 brunswick + 3 KGL) and 4 artillery units (+1 KGL)

I was thinking about adding in the Early and Late periods too, it shouldn't be too hard anyway because they are still in DB tables.

I could have a look at how Empire done it, and give it to you, if you want?

Patrician Artifex

It may not be that simple. The dropdown to select the period is still there in the sp2_battle UI, but it is hidden.
    So my first idea was to just edit this luac, make the dropdown visible, and see if it's enough to activate the periods.
    But TC already try and was stuck, and I had no more success. The luac we have, if we decoompile the original one and recompile without changing anything, and try to load, won't work. Nothing happens when you click on continue... We tried to fix it, but the only think we couldn't.

So yes, if you manage to fix it I'd be happy to get a sp2_battle where the period dropdown is back and working, but it's a big if.

In the meantime, what I did was just mamke an optional pack. If you add it to user.script, you get this period in the custom battle. If you don't put it in the user script, you have the default period (late).
    But of course, this is just for custom battle, in the campaign you get the proper period depending on the date.

Patrician Artifex

British roster added. See the details in the first page.

I have also added some information about recruitement and limits in the game mechanism section

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Looking pretty awesome

Ok, looks great Steph. But just a little something, abbreviation for example is "Eg." not "Ex"

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jay View Post
    Ok, looks great Steph. But just a little something, abbreviation for example is "Eg." not "Ex"
    Not in French