Thread: Bithynian Delegation

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Default Bithynian Delegation

Nicomedes IV of Bithynia

Corva rides alongside Aquilafor five days to the city of Nicomedia, capital of Bithynia. Bithynia was an old realm, which had avoided the domination of many empires and maintained its own unique mix of thracian, eastern, and greek.

Corva had his bodyguard of 100 thracian cavalry, and Aquila likewise. The city guards let them in and they rode into the palace, no intelligent ruler would deny a delegation with the backing of the Roman Senate.

OOC: Need someone to play as Nicomedes IV of Bithynia, also maybe someone to play a devilish pontic emissary. The point is that Rome and Pontus are trying to sway Bithynia to their side, almost like a bidding war. The Bithynian King can decide which side he wishes to take...
    Last edited by Aetius; August 30, 2011 at 01:34 PM.
    Blut und Boden

Praepositus
    Citizen

Default Re: Bithynian Delegation

King Nicomedes sits upon his throne, awaiting the unnanounced Roman delegation. His advisors had told him of how they entered his city, and he was displeased at this. To the side of the court stood the diplomat from Pontus, who he was discussing politics with.

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

ooc- i'll be the Pontic Emissary
    ...treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux;
    It's all in your eyes.

The aged Pharnaces II arrives at the council, looking none too pleased by the Roman presence. Although elderly by Pontic standards, the old King still remained healthy in mind and spirit. The Pontic bodyguard wore heavy armor and carried studded shields. Their procession entered the city with the King rising conspicuously from his gold-encrusted litter.

Praepositus
    Citizen

To the dismay of the Roman delegation, King Nicomedes welcomes the Pontic King easily, showing him to a 'throne' in the room, though not as majestic as his own...

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

Aquila glared at the Pontic men and leaned towards Corva to whisper, "Perhaps we should have brought your legion."
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Pharnaces grew tired of this awkward silence

I am away from my lands so that the Romans may treat with us, undoubtedly because they see how precarious their position is in Asia. We have not forgotten how reluctant your last general was to withdraw from Cilicia. It would seem that although unannounced, Rome's imperial ambitions look eastward. I would like this action explained, why Roman forces, although a weak and insignificant force, attempted to provoke us into a war?

Aquila gritted his teeth and forced himself to reply at least somewhat respectfully.

"Our general was too... eager. I assure you that we are not all like him. This 'force' we have brought with us are merely bodyguards. If we sought war we would not be speaking now. We are here to request an audience with His Majesty the King of Bithynia."
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Pharnaces smirked and muttered something Greek to Nicomedes

And you have an audience, Roman. If you haven't summoned the Lords of Asia to speak of something important why are we wasting our time?

Corva already disliked Pharnaces; and merely ignored him, and turned to face Nicomedes.

"If the Pontic dog will not address the King of Bithynia, then Rome will make the opening offer.

In all sincerity, Rome seeks you as its ally, and can surely match any offer proposed by Mithridates and more. He can no longer threaten you or your people with the protection of our invincible legions, no general in the east ever has.

In the event that Pontus invades, we would ask you to fight beside us - or to send monetary aid and supplies in our wars in the East. In return I am sure we can your own realm expanded in Paphlogonia (on game map: Bithynia III).

You may also make further requests, but Nicomedes, my friend, I ask you to be practical. Rome is generous, but within reason."
    Blut und Boden

Praepositus
    Citizen

King Nicomedes hides his emotions as the Roman speaks.

"You would do wise, Roman, to be more courteous in my court, not addressing the King of Pontus as a dog - he by far outranks you and you will show him the respect he commands. And as this is my court, and I am by no means your friend, you will address me as King Nicomedes, lest we forget who holds the power here."

To highlight his point, he sweeps his hand around the room to his guards. Notable were the lack of Roman bodyguards, for they had not been allowed entry to the palace, except two for each man. Most of the Pontic guards, however, we allowed inside.

"I must say, your arrogance, though expected, still shocks me. To claim invincibility is reckless. And then to presume that we would ally with you automatically, even more so. You have made your case, though with no overwhelming factors - now I invite good King Pharnaces the Second to make his case."

He smiles as he waves for the King to take the floor.

Rome would do well to remember that we Greeks have not forgotten the carelessness with which our brethren have been treated in the past. At the moment there is little that would stop us from retaking the ancestral lands of our allies back by force, but we are not unreasonable. We demand only that Roman aggression ceases. The current borders are to remain fixed, then can we have peace. If you breach this we shall not hesitate to crush you as we have in the past.

"Your Majesty, are you here to merely argue with us? I was under the impression that you came to speak with noble King Nicomedes."
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

We have spoken and are of the same mind! There shall be no more talk of alliances! With one hand your would seek to deceive us, fracture us, and with the other stab us individually until nothing stands in the way of conquest. We have seen it before, you will accept our reasonable terms or it will be war.

The guards moved closer to Pharnaces, ready to execute any command he might give.

"We are not here to negotiate with Pontus, but neither do we wish to see war. I request that we speak with your majesty after our audience with the King is concluded."
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Praepositus
    Citizen

The Bithynian King stands.

"Enough, Roman, let your words cease. You will accept our demands - Rome will cease any and all aggression in Greece, and it's borders will remain as is. Accept this, and we will be satisfied. If not, as good King Pharnaces has said, it will be war."

He notices the Pontic guards closing in, but does nothing.

"Then we will be leaving. Your Highness."
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

"Very well. Rome merely extended its hand of friendship and we could have made you a rich and powerful man today. Our offers still stand, and I know that you remain neutral but any offer Pontus makes Rome can match and more. Keep this in mind, your Highness.

If diplomatic relations change in Anatolia we will be sure to return."

With that; Corva turns to leave but not without giving Pharnaces a deadly stare. One day soon they would be humbled.
    Blut und Boden

Pharnaces sneered as the Romans made their exit, now the real business could be conducted...