Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yout Top 10 Science Fiction Films

AJStoner's Avatar Lord of Entropy

Default Re: Yout Top 10 Science Fiction Films

Quote Originally Posted by OTZ View Post
    Are you making a movie about humour and hyperbole? Should be good.
    No movie, and this is hardly an exaggeration. Tell you what: you find a qualified climatologist who disagrees in human created climate change and we'll see if I can't link him to Exxon, Shell, Enron, The Heritage Foundation, et al.

Ummm...didn't you just send me a "friend request"? Dude.
    You doubtless said something funny, even if you meant it seriously... I am quite fond of a number of delusional people--I just feel they should be made aware of it what they say/do/display crazy without a hint of irony.
    Last edited by AJStoner; October 28, 2011 at 02:44 PM.

*MEMBER OF THE HOUSE OF HADER* *UNDER THE CRUEL & MERCILESS PATRONAGE OF y2day*

In no particular order:

Alien (the first one)
    District 9 (one of the best sci-fi movies ever made)
    The Thing (the 50s version)
    Star Wars (I can't single out any of the six as separately they are not that wow, but the universe/culture it created is worth mentioning)
    Inception
    Blade Runner (P.K. Dick - that man is a genius, too bad not all the movies from his stories are that great)
    Fantastic Voyage (I want an epic "Foundation" movie!)
    Rollerball (the 1975 version)

Still not bad (mostly for the creative ideas): Matrix, Terminator, Jurassic Park (all the first versions)

I'm sure I missed a few.

Rollerball was a fantastic film--the remake was an atrocity and all involved should have had their fingernails pulled-out over it. I agree about Dick but I must say that in the case of Bladerunner this was a plus. It is one of those rare movies, like Jaws, that out-stripes the book it was based on. Foundation would be hard to do as a film I think. Perhaps a mini-series would be just the right format.

No, that isn't a banana

Quote Originally Posted by AJStoner View Post
    No movie, and this is hardly an exaggeration. Tell you what: you find a qualified climatologist who disagrees in human created climate change and we'll see if I can't link him to Exxon, Shell, Enron, The Heritage Foundation, et al.
    To what degree must this "qualified climatologist" disagree with "human created climate change"? A little bit, a lot, completely? I'm puzzled, yet intrigued by your proposition and appeal to authority. I am similarly puzzled why someone isn't permitted (without having dubious ties to some right-wing organization, or super-corporation) to criticize (let alone attempt humour) at Mr Gore's expense.

You doubtless said something funny, even if you meant it seriously... I am quite fond of a number of delusional people--I just feel they should be made aware of it what they say/do/display crazy without a hint of irony.
    Actually, it was a result of my position in the OWS thread (which oddly enough is the same as yours). Strange. And here I get the impression you think I'm some sort of delusional right-wing crazy person...

The sig, by the way, is satirical (not that there aren't a few people in the world who need a good "napalming" once in a while).

An Inconvenient Truth - that's the title I was looking for.
    Second place would be Starship Troopers - both the book and the film. Lots of good socio-political commentary underneath the surface. Powerful stuff - should be required reading for poli-sci.

To what degree must this "qualified climatologist" disagree with "human created climate change"? A little bit, a lot, completely? I'm puzzled, yet intrigued by your proposition and appeal to authority. I am similarly puzzled why someone isn't permitted (without having dubious ties to some right-wing organization, or super-corporation) to criticize (let alone attempt humour) at Mr Gore's expense.
    As to degree I leave that to your judgement. It's not that someone isn' permitted to question the current state of climate science (I will not fall into the trap of making this about Big Al) without such ties, it's just that this seems to invariably be the case. The science is in and those offering contrary opinions are generally speaking from the profit motive of large conglomerates and not the needs of maintaining a balanced ecosystem. That is how I interpret what I have seen and heard of course and I am not claiming any special authority on the subject for myself. I am always happy to see evidence to the contrary, I simply expect you will have a hard time of finding any without the taint of big business interests rolling off it in big, noxious clouds.

I certainly don't begrudge anyone making fun of Al Gore--the man has less personality than his own wax statue at Madame Tussauds. THAT is not the point however, and his critics seem to always being attempting to make it so.

Actually, it was a result of my position in the OWS thread (which oddly enough is the same as yours). Strange. And here I get the impression you think I'm some sort of delusional right-wing crazy person...
    Not really, I just felt compelled to take a little umbrage with that sig.

The sig, by the way, is satirical (not that there aren't a few people in the world who need a good "napalming" once in a while).
    A fair point that I am willing to concede. I will confess to having a lengthy list of good targets myself.

An Inconvenient Truth - that's the title I was looking for.
    Second place would be Starship Troopers - both the book and the film. Lots of good socio-political commentary underneath the surface. Powerful stuff - should be required reading for poli-sci.
    You know, I LOVED Starship Troopers the book, I really had a hard time with the film. Maybe it was Doogie Howzer in a Gestapo uniform (as George Carlin would say: Neat idea--not a sport) but I felt let-down by it. It was too much about the action and glossed over the xenophobia topic which I felt was central to the story as Heinlin wrote it.

Quote Originally Posted by AJStoner View Post
    Rollerball was a fantastic film--the remake was an atrocity and all involved should have had their fingernails pulled-out over it. I agree about Dick but I must say that in the case of Bladerunner this was a plus. It is one of those rare movies, like Jaws, that out-stripes the book it was based on. Foundation would be hard to do as a film I think. Perhaps a mini-series would be just the right format.
    Yeah, I don't think anybody could make a good Foundation movie, it is just too much stuff, and Asimov had a lot of social aspect in it which would be difficult to get on the screen (and Hollywood would certainly screw it up anyway). It would be easier to make a miniseries out of his Bailey/Daneel stories - that is a more compact time frame and storyline.

I'd like to see a good movie out of the Man in the High Castle though. That seems doable.

My favourites:

-Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    -The thing (original version)
    -Star Wars (except The phanton menace )
    -12 monkeys
    -Blade runner
    -Planet of the apes (1968)
    -Invasion of the body snatchers (50's version)
    -Village of the Damned (60's original version)

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    Space Balls
    Spoiler for Explicit speech warning! Mel Brooks at his best

Obviously, AL was right.
    Last edited by Aikanár; October 04, 2012 at 01:07 AM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Great pic!!!

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

1-10 : E.T. (the original. I watched it more than 30 times when I was 12).

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Sweet and good film , when i see i feel as when i was i kid...i know, i'm still a kid...but it's not the same .

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

It was because of I had a crush for Drew Barrymore.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12