Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have Persians ever served as mercenaries for a foreign power?

Civis

Default Re: Have Persians ever served as mercenaries for a foreign power?

And yes, I think their sparabara are unhistorically strong - their formation is too tidy and their def skill, armor and shield values are waaaaaay too high.
    LoL,I remember you whining about how the sparabara are weak,and that historically they could beat the citizen hoplites

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Yeah. I was young and stupid. Then I read up on the subject and found out it was the Scythians who broke through the Greek center at Marathon, although they still outnumbered the Greeks heavily.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well, what can a guy with a wicker shield with a 6ft spear and a dagger do against an armoured force trained for close combat when his intended use was merely as cover for the archer? They might hold out, but they really dont stand any chance. This would explain why the Persians hired soo many mercenaries and also experimented with the Kardaka.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|4|DarthLazy View Post
    Well, what can a guy with a wicker shield with a 6ft spear and a dagger do against an armoured force trained for close combat when his intended use was merely as cover for the archer? They might hold out, but they really dont stand any chance. This would explain why the Persians hired soo many mercenaries and also experimented with the Kardaka.
    No one knows what the kardaka were. I don't get wicker shields - they're blinking useless. They break in strong wind.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

People seem to be confused about them.. Me included.
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

I remember reading somewhere as Persians being "Men of the Pen" who made a very good bureaucracy (And many Muslim scientists were also Persian) and Turks being "Men of the Sword" in Safavid era Persia. I can also remember that some Seljuk (Or some other Turkish king) admit that much of his kingdom was built with the Persians (Common citizenry I'm assuming).

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

Sounds believable to me. However, it's kind of outside the time frame we're discussing. Cocroach is specifically talking about the inhabitants of Fars during antiquity, I think. But there's no doubt that the Persian culture and administration has been very prominent for a very long time in the region "Men of the Pen" reminds me of all those Persian poets.

Being used as bureaucrats doesn't make them less pathetic soldiers.

"The pen is mightier than the sword"...!

Have you ever tried stabbing a swordsman with a pen?

Yes, that's how I start my training every day! I usually try to go for the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinan View Post
    Yes, that's how I start my training every day! I usually try to go for the eyes.
    LOL, try getting past a sword with a pen.

Parry! Stab! Parry! Stab!

*trolling off*

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    Being used as bureaucrats doesn't make them less pathetic soldiers.
    Well, if we're still talking ancient era, it probably doesn't help that society was so feudalistic and serfy.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

LOL, try getting past a sword with a pen.
    load the pen as slug shot in shotgun

sorry, can't resist to point out this obvious method

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

First of all, you will have to use a seperate propellent charge, secondly you will have to find a new method of ignition, thirdly you will have to achieve perfect obturation, and then you will have to reinforce the barrel. Even then you will have to use a lot of propellent, because the pen is very light yet very large, and it is not guaranteed the pen will generate the neccessary pressure inside the breech - you may have to re-bore it in order for it to be able to achieve the needed pressure.

Oh, and then there's ever present risk of everything blowing up in your face because of the increased charge.

Even if everything works perfectly, by the time you have implemented the required modification, the swordsman will have chopped you up.
    Last edited by Ishan; September 16, 2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Not Needed

I don't get wicker shields - they're blinking useless. They break in strong wind.
    they stop arrows from bows, swordblows, stones... i dont get why people underestimate wicker, its build on the same principles as a bulletproof vest, to destribute the blow thought layers of flexible material....

they were not sheets of paper, they were over an inch thick...

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Fighting for material reward and prostitution are the two oldest professions in history. To think Persians didn't partake in both is foolish.
    Last edited by Ishan; September 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Not Needed

[QUOTE]
    ...the guy who states that Persians were the best horsemen
    the medians were the best skirmisher cav in the area but still not as good as the lydians and the nomads when it came to horse archery and heavy cav I have prooved that .

and archers in the world
    akh GOD , how many time do I have to post this this is just waste of time but anyone who denys this can look here :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=467172

your saying that persians were useless in war and other people formed the persians armys ? explain the anushia that were only persians and median natives.

Of all the troops in Persian army, the native Persians were not only the best but also the most magnificently equipped; their dress and armor I have mentioned already, but I should add that every man glittered with the gold which he carried about his person in unlimited quantity. They were accompanied, moreover, by covered carriages full of their women and servants, all elaborately fitted out. Special food, separate from that of the rest of the army, was brought along for them on camels and mules. (History of Herodotus 7.83; tr. Aubrey de Selincourt)

, and that the Sassanids were never defeated by the Romans?

Please give me a peimary source that states Persians served as mercenaries to someone,
    they served the medians, the selucids , the parthians and the arabs I can't really think about other people who have conquered us execpt the mongols who killed every one and. and I have prooved all this unlike what you have doned

and being levied in great numbers as meatshields doesn't count, neither does being allowed into the higher circles of a state presenting itself as a successor to their ancient empire.
    THEN WHAT COUNTS?????????

roach ! dude stop doing this I can't write every thing over and over again we can really go around circels for weeks or month

[QUOTE]
    I posted this thread to roundabout prove Persians were not greatest archers ever.
    source??!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=467172

A lot of you seem to misinterpret my rather belligerent posts as signs of ignorance and agressive stubbornness; While in fact I am just trying to get rid of the fanboys croaching into any disussion by deterring them.
    A lot of you seem to misinterpret my rather belligerent posts as signs of ignorance and agressive stubbornness; While in fact I am just trying to get rid of the trolls croaching into any disussion by deterring them.

I think every one can see who is right here I will not countineu this if you don't find a good source to support your arguements .

discussing with you is pointless cause as you pointed yourself it's about a grudge you have against those you call fanboys not about history and not about persians, this is just rediciuless
    Last edited by the persian Immortal; September 09, 2011 at 06:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

this discussion is over I suggest a moderator close it , it's getting pointless
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast