Thread: Four turns per year.

Foederatus

Default Re: Discussion and Announcements

any chance of getting a 4tpy option implemented in you mod?

or if most folks don't like it, why not? to me it seems much more realistic... thx much for any opinions and information.

DBH,
    move/delete this if you don't want it polluting - i will open a seperate topic if O.K. with you.
    Helmut "Hammer" Fritz
    RLGaming
    http://www.rlgaming.com/phpBB/

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

There is not much chance of 4tpy being included with the mod. I'm not wild about scripts that require a lot of intervention by the user, and the pace of development in RTW is already so fast that it rapidly falls out of sync with history. If anything a 2 year per turn system would keep things closer to the historical pace of events. I might take a look at the available 4tpy mods and see what need to be done to make it work with XGM though (probably not much, if you don't mind missing out on the scripted events already in XGM).

Default Re: Four turns per year.

Marcus Camillus 4TPY Mod is outstanding, especially the newest version 1.9 (yet to be released) promises to add really a lot of depth to the game.
    With 1.8.2, I like in particular the movement rate limitation during winter, which is absolutely realistic.
    However, for XGM it would require some work in terms of rebalancing: for example, all prices and buildings costrunction time should be revised. In addition, playing the game with 4TPY is obviously much slower than usual, maybe not everyone like this.

ckerr094's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

4 turns per year would certainly be a thing I would approve of.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

it might make the game more realistic but no campaigns will get after 200 bc i think

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Kolyo
    it might make the game more realistic but no campaigns will get after 200 bc i think
    Id prefer 1 turn per year.

I am strongly opposed to having 4 turns in a year. I'm a micromanagement freak (obsessive compulsive) and this would be a nightmare for me.

Protector Domesticus

I dunno, it might go well with the MM map. Considerable editing of building construction times ought to be required anyway (to avoid ludicrous empire infrastructure growth rates) with 4tpy, and you could presumably work that into the MM installer if needed right ?

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo
    If anything a 2 year per turn system would keep things closer to the historical pace of events.
    Taking your army 2 years to travel a short distance is not very realistic. Also, your general would die faster..

4 turn would make xgm my perfect mod,as total war historcally comes out of the shadow of Alexanders empire,try taking a 16yr old family member,make him your heir,then see in his life time if he can make half Alexanders empire?...on 2 turn no chance,on 4 turn...one hell of a challenge,if you add 4 turn,and people don't like it,then don't activate it.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

No thanks, I'm not a fan of active scripting as it makes beta testing an hellish job and honestly I don't see how doubling the game turns would make it more interesting.
    Most bells and whistles can be added without active scripting as most traits can be already checked by the game actively on turn change and we have more pressing problems with game pace such as slowing down marian reforms or enriching the post marian game so it doesn't become a roman praetorian and first cohort fest...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Goatus Boyus: I'm with Zarax on this one. Just adding 4tpy seems like a lot of trouble for very little pay-off in game-play.

I think you probably could replicate Alexander's conquest with the the current set-up. You just need to keep in mind that before you do Alexander's life, you need to do Philip's life. Build a strong territorial base, and a superb army for Alexander to start out with. Also Alexander didn't do it all by himself - his generals carried out some side campaigns. In 100 turns you can conquer quite a lot.

I agree Dime And Zar
    I was also thinking can there be more events? Like floods, earthquakes, fires, ? storms at sea,snowstorms,
    Even if the events dont work can there be a cost of unit loss? To make things real.

swhunter: Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Asean
    Taking your army 2 years to travel a short distance is not very realistic. Also, your general would die faster..
    It is 6 montsh per turn
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

As I have no Modding skills,It is easy for me to say "4turn please",Yes Alexander did have a solid base to build on,but spent the first two years quelling Greece and the Greeks tribes,before entering Asia Minor.So from my own gaming point of veiw I love the fact 4turn makes travel more relistic,u can Make a 16 year old your Heir,and build a kingdom with him,but I am understanding of the work that must go into these modds to make them what they are.