Thread: Xgm - Alexander

Steli-os's Avatar Libertus

Default Xgm - Alexander

This mod belongs to the "what if" category! In this case it’s “what if Alexander hadn’t died. What could have happened? Could he really conquer the whole known world or that task would have been too much even for him?

The mod takes place at 323 B.C. , just before Alexander's death. Here Alexander is alive, but there are rumours about his death, that give the right to some subject states and border kingdoms or tribes to hope to get some of the spoils of the tattered empire… Athens, Sparta and Thebes formed a fragile alliance and once again rebelled against Macedonian rule. One the other hand Pontus, Armenia and the Dahae are looking for a place to expand their territories…

This mod features 8 Greek factions: Macedon, Sparta, Athens, Thebes, Syracusans, Tarentum, Massilia and The Bosporian Kingdom. Each faction has some new unique units (most of them imaginary, just to get the game more interesting- one or two in every faction, not too many). Also, Thebes didn’t exist at that time but it served the purpose of the game to be there! It could have been rebuilt by the remaining Theban citizens. Other than that, I tried to be as accurate as possible with the cities and provinces.

A new building is added: the “city’s colony”. Athens, Sparta and Thebes can build this one. “city’s colony” gives Thebans the opportunity to train their “sacred band” in other cities besides Thebes, Spartans can train their “homoioi hoplites” elsewhere than Sparta and Athens can train Elite Athenian Hoplites…The building also gives some bonuses to each faction and takes 8 turns to be built (4 years to turn the city into their own colony).

Also grain exports are now available to be built if there are no grain imports in the city at level “huge city” (if grain imports exist, it can easily be destroyed)- it also requires some other buildings such as "great estates" ( Greeks can now build this one too ).

Three new factions are added to the game (besides the Greek factions mentioned above ): Celtic tribes, the Dahae and Persian Empire. Persian Empire is not a playable factions (it was destroyed by that time ) and is only mentioned in the beginning of the imperial campaign as a destroyed faction. This way it serves a specific purpose in the campaign ( I don't need to explain ). Also there was a thought of a provincial campaign starting just before Alexander’s campaign against Persia, but I don't think I'll work on this one.

Some other info:

-All units start with one hit point ( except some highly trained units )
    -Almost every unit got re-balanced( stats & cost )
    -Buildings take much less to be built (the cost remains high or even higher than before). I did that because I see most upgrades as an expansion of the previous building ( for example: Barracks- 1 turn, Militia Barracks-1 turn, City Barracks-1 turn, Army Barracks-1 turn, City Barracks-2 turns… Total 6 turns to be built-3 years. I think this amount of time would be more than enough. The same goes for most buildings-not all. )
    -Some factions are rebalanced (mostly economically).
    -Rebels are VERY strong, so AI will not expand very fast
    -The game ends at 107 B.C the date of the Marian Reforms, so Rome doesn't have any of the post Marian Reforms units. Still there are some reforms for other factions ( for example Greeks, besides Macedon, get phalanxes )

I may forget something but you will soon find out...

Bugs:
    The only one until now, is the empty city banner for Tarentum and Sparta ( its not very important )
    And of course its possible to have a random ctd when you click for next turn (even the original game does that sometimes, so its ok I guess! - it only happened to me once while testing the game - I tested it 5 times). You can continue the game normally after reloading the game.

Note that there Must be the original XGM installed and its good to have the original rome files unmodded.

Also, I didn’t aim for total historical accuracy, so excuse me for any mistakes in this section.
    I hope everyone enjoys it, have fun!

This is the download link:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C0NY9S5R (Broken link fixed)

There is a shortcut in the folder-just check the directory line

The mod runs with these preferences(it doesn't have any problems with other configurations)
    Extended Greek Mod version 5.9.10
    Use BI: No
    Use Alex: No
    Use Steam: No
    Enable Fatigue: Yes
    Faster Movement: Yes
    Land Bridges: Yes
    Minimal Borders: No
    No Red Line: No
    Prometheus Cities: No
    Reduce AI Bonuses: Yes
    One Hitpoint System: No
    Enable Loyalty: No

Have fun and make sure you conquer the world

Edit: this submod can be played even if xgm is installed to run with BI or Alex. You only have to change the directory of the short cut to something like that "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:Alex ("RomeTW.exe" instead of "RomeTW-ALX.exe" or "RomeTW-BI.exe")

Edit: There was a problem with a Parthian unit. Just copy-paste these files in the data folder:
    export_descr_buildings.txt , export_descr_unit.txt
    Last edited by Steli-os; November 20, 2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: fixed broken link

Default Re: Xgm - Alexander

Some pictures of the map:
    Here is the map in the beginning of the campaign DSC00301.JPG

-Here is the map around 240 B.C. in a campaign DSC00302.JPG

-Here is the map around 180 B.B. in an other campaign DSC00300.JPG
    And here is the map around 170 B.B. in the same campaign!!! DSC00303.JPG
    Gauls lost everything in almost 10 years!!!!

The game was set in vh/vh difficulty. I was only defending my self in order to let the game make its moves.What surprised me is that for a reason I don't understand AI seems to be working much better than before!!!! I have no idea why but it's nice For example i saw carthage capturing 4-5 gaul cities in one turn!!!! And after only 2-3 turns of siege instead of waiting till the end as usually. In the first campaign I was playing as thebes and in the second as saba in order to be relaxed for a while Also what I find very interesting is that besides carthage and macedon it difficult to say how things will progress.

Mathais's Avatar Ordinarius

Hmm very interesting I cant wait to gvie this mod a go!

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Might be a good idea to make it compatible with the latest version of XGM or compile it together with XGM 5.9.10 as a single install. I checked the XGM DL sites and didn't see 5.9.10 available for DL anywhere on them.

I think it's compatible with every xgm version (if you mean that). It just needs the original version of xgm to obtain some info and other stuff . I just got a bit lazy to do these things on my own

Anyone had any problems with the mod? Please feel free to share any comments.

I have a little problem at the beginng and i canīt play.
    This is what it says:

Failed to read censored word dictionary file: data//chat:filter.san

You have XGM installed with alex.exe right? This must be the problem.It's easy to be fixed.Open the original xgm data folder and copy the "chat:filter.san" file and paste it to the "alex" data folder("alex" folder=Xgm - Alexander folder ok?)If this won't solve the problem, just change the directory of the short cut to something like that "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:Alex ("RomeTW.exe" instead of "RomeTW-ALX.exe" ) as I've already written in the first post. Tell me the results ok? I hope it works well for you

Whit the first, nothing happen.
    Whit the second at least i can enter to the menu, i was going to play with Tarantine but result a CDT, I try it again and i went to "Personalize Battle". The unit were from the original RTW.

I don't know why this happened.... Maybe you should try 1 or 2 more times...I tested it many times with no such problems If it still doesn't work try with some other factions.Please tell me the results.

Anyone else with the same or any other problems?

It seems the download link is unavailable :/ I can't fix this right now, but i hope i will within 10 days

P.S. the mod is not dead.

P.S. 2 there are thoughts of improvements
    Last edited by Steli-os; November 12, 2011 at 09:39 AM.

Broken link fixed. Available for download once again

We make war that we may live in peace