Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: - Joar's King Arthur Collection -

Default Re: - Joar's King Arthur Collection -

Great Work!

Luck is the residue of design ~ Milton

Latin Knight's Avatar Miles

Indeed, Joar, it's a brillant work. I've loved the portraits you made for RTW Invasio Barbarorum conversions, specially Julianus Heraclius' Avatar . I liked the most were the helmets, it really creates a distinctive portrait, that really fits the period.

The funny thing is that, in the Arthurian mythos, i always picture Arthur blond, with short hair, and beardless, and Mordred with raven-dark hair, and you made the opposite .

Keep up the great work!!

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Great updates! Now I can rep yuo I think!!

Good work.

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Joar did you mind if I ask you this question. How to you manage to create such amazing portraits. If it is a proffesional secret , and you wish not to answer its ok.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Melitensis View Post
    Joar did you mind if I ask you this question. How to you manage to create such amazing portraits. If it is a proffesional secret , and you wish not to answer its ok.
    No, no, there's no secret to it, I'm afraid. I wish there was some program who would do it for me, cause it would sure save me a lot of time.

Well, I'm using several different programs, Photoshop being the most important one, of course. For the faces I'm using software such as morphases, fantaface mixer, SI, looxis faceworkx and so on, and then I edit them in PS, adding features such as scars, beards, hair etc, which I paint on myself. For the helmets and armour I mainly use pre-existing textures that I tweak and adapt, mix and blend. Cloth is also one of those things that I mostly do myself, "manually" with Photoshop. Most of the time it's just easier that way.

I might also add that there's a great deal of what we might call "archaeological reconstruction" involved, for example here's an image of the helmet I used for Mordred's Roman helmet:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I also want to add that it's not necessary to do portraits this large and detailed, cause it will, sadly, be mostly lost in-game anyways.
    Last edited by Joar; August 29, 2011 at 12:11 AM.

I've made one final portrait, and updated the first post.

Well that's a long and laborous work you are doing to create them, all the more well done.

Cheers

how do you install them what folder do you put them in please, great work by the way

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewKing View Post
    how do you install them what folder do you put them in please, great work by the way
    Well, first of all you need to rename them. The reason why I've given them name such as "lancelot_young" and so on, is because people who don't have the ability to open tga files should know which image is which.

Now, when it comes to installing them, you'll need to manually put them inside the proper folders. I never play M2TW, but it's basically the same as RTW, so find the folder named UI, and place them in the culture folder you want to have them in. Then place them in portraits ( generals, young, old & dead ) but remember to rename them.

Hope that helps.

great !!!!!!
    +rep

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    No, here's the thing: I actually started making these types of portraits a couple of years ago, without any of them being made for a specific mod. I just did it for fun. But I'm one of those who have a real hard time letting go, 'cause I constantly keep going back to re-work it, never being quite happy with the result.

Anyways, among the first portraits I made was that of Julian the Apostate ( used in IB:SAI ), Justinian, Phocas, Heraclius etc. Then julianus heraclius wanted a set of historical characters for SAI, and then I continued to make characters from basically the 3rd century AD and forward. I honestly don't know how many I've made today, but I got a "small library" of them. I plan to organize them somehow, and eventually release them for everyone to use.
    Do you have any 2 and 3 century BC characters by any chance? Greeks and Romans etc- Sorry to go off topic a little, just curious

Signature made by Joar

Quote Originally Posted by Constantius View Post
    Do you have any 2 and 3 century BC characters by any chance? Greeks and Romans etc- Sorry to go off topic a little, just curious
    Sorry, no. The earliest ones are from the 3rd century AD. I don't find classical Antiquity that interesting, from a "portrait-making" view since it's already well covered.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Great job! +Rep
    I know this is free to use but I just wanted to let you know that I hope to use Mordred's, Hengist's, Horsa's and Lancelot's portraits in my mod Heiğinn Veğr. I know it's centuries ahead but it looks like they would work excellently.
    Again, great work!

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

Still hoping for Justinian...

Quote Originally Posted by Deutschland View Post
    Still hoping for Justinian...
    I'm hoping to have something out by the end of this week. It should have already been out, but I've been a bit busy, and are struggling with this terribly stubborn cold of mine. But Justinian is already finished.

Get well soon mate, don't forget to take your medicine .

Cheers

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

Already looking forward to Justinian! Get well soon!

I've released a preview of some of the historical portraits I've made, and yes, Justinian is among them. Here's a link, or you could click my bottom right banner.

Well done JOAR, I am speechless, fantastic .

cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast