Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: balancing factions streng .

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: balancing factions streng .

Fully clad in bronze? No. Most hoplites wore linothorax, and not all phalanxes were impenetrable walls.

Sure, sparabara were useless, but only Persians fought as sparabara - what about the Lydian, Assyrian, Caucasian, Egyptian, Phoenician and Thracian troops? Phoenicians and Assyrians used armored spearmen long before the Greeks, and Lydians probably had hoplites before the Greeks.
    Last edited by Blatta Optima Maxima; September 04, 2011 at 03:44 AM.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Pretty good question that. Id say its because of the phalanx formation and not the hoplites equipment in that case. Whereas versus Sparabara the hoplites would massacre them even without the phalanx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|4|DarthLazy View Post
    Pretty good question that. Id say its because of the phalanx formation and not the hoplites equipment in that case. Whereas versus Sparabara the hoplites would massacre them even without the phalanx.
    ahh, thx for da correction, but I still remember at this time, they don't worn much linothorax yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    Fully clad in bronze? No. Most hoplites wore linothorax, and not all phalanxes were impenetrable walls.

Sure, sparabara were useless, but only Persians fought as sparabara - what about the Lydian, Assyrian, Caucasian, Egyptian, Phoenician and Thracian troops? Phoenicians and Assyrians used armored spearmen long before the Greeks, and Lydians probably had hoplites before the Greeks.
    well, the Sparabara equivalents also there, I allready mentioned that against elite armoured spearmen, they are on match with the hoplites don't I, and unless you count Lydian that actually has it's own version of hoplites.

Assyrian aren't in ROP time, they're allready dead.

Caucasian?

if you meant Median, Stukhratian Spearmen is pretty much Sparabara under another name.

Egyptians? Temeh Spearmen is pretty much useless trash, all Libians are useless worthless trash that serve only for Pharaoh's glorified meatshields, Egyptian spearmen fares better, but ultimately still fall under Sparabara grade.

Babylonian? Babylonian Spearmen also Sparabara Grade.

Thracians? basically Sparabara with javelins, and they're worse than Sparabara in melee...

of course, Babylonian Armoured Spearmen, Egypt Hoplites, Arizantian Spearmen, and Anusiya are rather fair match for "lowest and low (doryphoroi, ionikoi, and plain hippeis)" grade of hoplites, all of them still tremble under Zeguitai, Politai, or worse, Spartiatai Hoplitai, while Pentasidikodomoi, Hippeis Kyrenaioi, Epilektoi, and Spartiatai Hippeis will easily bring them down. Well, unless for Spartans, the elite hoplites are indeed OP (I won't dare to call Spartans OP THIS IS SPARTAAAAAA)

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Babylonian? Babylonian Spearmen also Sparabara Grade
    You obviously haven't checked the Babylonian roster. The Babylonians in this timeframe have largely inherited the Assyrians' military structure, and their main spear component would be the heavy armoured ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze View Post
    You obviously haven't checked the Babylonian roster. The Babylonians in this timeframe have largely inherited the Assyrians' military structure, and their main spear component would be the heavy armoured ones.
    Babylonian Spearmen of the first grade is unarmoured, it's you who need to check it

of course, they did have armoured spearmen, but it was at the high tier

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Babylonian Spearmen of the first grade is unarmoured, it's you who need to check it
    Yes, but it's not meant to be their main unit

This mod doesn't work like "Tier 1: Light spearmen, Tier 2: Heavy spearmen" for every faction. Some units are just not comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze View Post
    Yes, but it's not meant to be their main unit

This mod doesn't work like "Tier 1: Light spearmen, Tier 2: Heavy spearmen" for every faction. Some units are just not comparable.
    ahh, so you need to put it on descriptions!

everybody doesn't know much about this, and most of them will think any Persian-esque factions to simply amass a lot of poor levies, put them in chains, give them spears, and whip them to the battlefield!

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    ahh, so you need to put it on descriptions!

everybody doesn't know much about this, and most of them will think any Persian-esque factions to simply amass a lot of poor levies, put them in chains, give them spears, and whip them to the battlefield!
    Only Persians chained their infantry together, and that was because they were afraid the infantry might decide to go looking for food. You see, they didn't feed their conscript infantry, those were supposed to look for food themselves.

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

Huh? So what, they had to look for food themselves, but they were chained together so they couldn't. So what then, they starve?

Yes. If they didn't get released to look for food under supervision of the mercenaries.

That's a myth Cocroach, you've gone from fudging things to support your Racism to outright misinformation.

Only Persians chained their infantry together, and that was because they were afraid the infantry might decide to go looking for food. You see, they didn't feed their conscript infantry, those were supposed to look for food themselves.
    Cocroach, ive had it...

stop talking nonsense, i mean the whole slave thing originated from the misinterpritation of the term perso-sannasid word for "Close together" where the romans herd it as "Linked together" emplying slave troops...

and the sparabara, HA! they were like the pre marian troops of rome: you had to own land. and the rest of the army was mercs...

you see, there is a lot about ancient society you just cant fit into you post-commie nationalistic fatlump.

just an examle: was the pyramiths build by slaves (pro tip: dont say aliens!)

I suppose you think I am stupid and nationalist; I am neither. I know pyramids were built by artisans, who lived nearby in a makeshift town and were treated well. But if the Persian infantry weren't slaves, they don't even have a reason of being so pathetic against anything that isn't outnumbered by 10:1. Wouldn't landowners be able to buy themselves equipment? If they were feudal landlords they should have been fighting as hoplites!

Clagius's Avatar Campidoctor

Roach, we're just wasting our time talking to this guy.

How so? Make a response to the argument not to the person.
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.

Exactly. I hate when people attack their opponents, even if they are my opponents as well.

Clagius's Avatar Campidoctor

*Heavy sigh* I did not ing attack on him. Leaaarn to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonian View Post
    Roach, we're just wasting our time talking to this guy.
    That is talking directly to the person without posting anything on the subject.

Exactly. While I disagree with The Blacksmith, I am inclined to have a proper discussion rather than an excrement-flinging fest.

Exactly. While I disagree with The Blacksmith, I am inclined to have a proper discussion rather than an excrement-flinging fest.
    at least i dont throw fieces at people who spell wrong?

anyhow, the persians fought like they did because these formations had success in fighting their opponents in asia, its like the Diadochi's they fought with phalanxes because it was successfull, untill the romans.. and the Persians did as the Diadochi's... adapting foreign costumes...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast