Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: balancing factions streng .

Default Re: balancing factions streng .

so so the sassanids cav were mostly parthians ? LOL .good! source that proove that almost all of the sassanid cav were parthians

sassanid empire wasn't feudalism the parthian empire was , if your saying that the sassanids kept the feudalism after the parthian proove that, and for the gods sake stop insulting did you ever had a discussion that didn't turned to a flame war ???

I can play the insulting game too you know , but your just way than you signature so I will ignore you , now kill your self by finding sources. so far you haven't sourced anything so your statements are useless but unlike you I have sourced all my arguements , rollover and die insect
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

The backbone of the Spâh in the Sassanid era was its heavy armoured cavalry, known since Classical antiquity in the west as: Cataphracts. This was made up of noblemen who underwent extensive exercises in warfare and military manoeuvres through military training, gaining discipline and becoming truly elite soldiers.[citation needed] Within the Sassanid military, the cavalry was the most influential element, and Sassanid cavalry tactics were adopted by the Romans, Arabs, and Turks. Their weaponry, battle tactics, tamgas, medallions, court customs, and costumes greatly influenced their Romano-Byzantine neighbours.[citation needed] The Romans had long contended against opponents who fielded heavy cavalry, notably the Sarmatians and the Parthians, and the recurrent wars with the Sassanids were an important factor in the Roman turn to new military organizations and battlefield tactics that centered around the use of heavy cavalry in the 3rd and 4th centuries. The Romans called these newly formed units clibanarii; It is said that the word clibanarii is derived from Persian word grivpanvar or griva-pana-vara meaning neck-guard wearer. Another, more direct and often quoted, etymology is the Greek word ho klibanos, which refers to a covered pot in which bread was baked or a small oven; perhaps a joking reference to the one-piece mask helmets they wore. The Roman term appears for the first time in the vita Alexandri Severi (56.5) in the Historia Augusta, a work from the very end of the 4th century A.D.
    Shapur II (r. 309-379) further reformed the army by adopting heavier and more effective cavalry. These mounted units were clad in thick iron plates which covered their entire body. This made them look very much like moving iron statues. Some were armed with a lance and some with a sword and/or mace.[citation needed] Depictions of aforementioned cavalry still survive, with one of the best preserved ones being a rock relief at Taq-e Bostan where Khosrau II is seen riding his favourite horse, Shabdiz.
    The fighting equipment of the heavily armed Sassanid horsemen were:
    • Clibanarii cavalry: helmet, hauberk (Pahlavi griwban), breastplate, mail, gauntlet (Pahlavi abdast), girdle, thigh-guards (Pahlavi ran-ban) sword, mace, bowcase with two bows and two bowstrings, quiver with 30 arrows, two extra bowstrings, and horse armour (zen-abzar).
    • Cataphract cavalry: helmet, hauberk, breastplate, mail, gauntlet, girdle, thigh-guards, bowcase with two bows and two bowstrings, quiver with 30 arrows, spear, and horse armour (zen-abzar); to these some have added a lasso (kamand), or a sling with pellets.[citation needed]
    The heavy cavalry was complemented by lighter cavalry, which were not made up of Sassanids, but were recruited from among their allies and supplemented by mercenary troops. Gelani (Guilani), Albani, Hephthalites, Kushans and the Khazars were the main suppliers of this light- to medium-armoured cavalry. They were an essential part of the Spâh because of their endurance and speed on the battlefield.
    It is possible that the mainly light cavalry were intended for the battles with the central Asiatic tribes, while the more heavy cavalry were used in encounters with rome.
    In short, there were the following classes of mobile cavalry troops:
    • Persian immortal guard (Zhayedan)
    • Azadan nobility Savaran: elite cavalry also described as the Persian knightly caste (see below)
    • War elephants
    • Light cavalry: primarily horse-archers
    • Medium cavalry: Medium-armoured cavalry armed with lance and shield
    • Clibanarii cavalry: Heavy shock cavalry armed with maces and swords
    • Cataphract cavalry: Heavy cavalry armed with lances (also known as Savārān cavalry )

now what the hell is parthian about this
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis

please for the feature source you arguement AND DON"T WRITE WHAT YOU FEEL LIKE IS TRUE
    BOM to Kakabis

Quote Originally Posted by the persian Immortal View Post
    the only once who were trained from childhood were the persians , the elemits though are discrived to be very good as well but it can only be elemit AOR .

You mean Elamites? And I suppose you're going to ignore the fact that they Scythians and Sarmatians were also trained from the time they could walk to ride a horse? Or should I mention the Mazaka, or the Autariatai?

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by YuilenZ01 View Post
    You mean Elamites? And I suppose you're going to ignore the fact that they Scythians and Sarmatians were also trained from the time they could walk to ride a horse? Or should I mention the Mazaka, or the Autariatai?
    Mazaka = Massagetae. Why do you call the Mazaka anyway?

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

For gameplay reasons, the easterns should be roughly the same in the archery department, classified by unit training, tiers etcs... Not by which faction they belong to, since nobody can prove that "insert nation" had better archers than "insert other nation". Except the greeks but who cares about them
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Everyone. The main selling point of this mod is "LOLOLOLOMG SPARTANS!".

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    Everyone. The main selling point of this mod is "LOLOLOLOMG SPARTANS!".
    sorry, can't resist

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes
    THIS IS NOT SPARTA...

THIS IS PERSIA...
    now, why don't you have some good backrub? O.O

Well, as far as we know, ROP is the only mod who has deep historical accuracies over ancient middle eastern before Alexander. If you say the main selling point in ROP was spartans, you missed over real far...

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

I suggest you ask people why they downloaded this mod for the first time. I did to play archaic Sparta and Athens.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

I looked at the name...

...and saw "Persia". I wanted to play as Persia, so I downloaded the mod. Pretty simple. The hoplite part came afterwards

You must be an exception. I don't like playing as a faction that's only 'regular heavy infantry' is armed with wicker shields, bronze daggers and short spears, armored with a thick jacket.

Wow, you manage to sneak in your anti-Persian comments even into a discussion about why someone plays a mod. Way to go, Roach

Now, if I had moderation rights I'd close this topic. It has clearly served its purpose.

That is in fact what I am trying to achieve - the closure of this pointless thread.

I have played a campaign with most of the factions, many of them are fun in their own way. I do not have favouritism for the greeks because they are western or have the best infantry, I enjoy the eastern factions as well. It's good not to have unstoppable infantry at your command, to diversify your tactics with a more cavalry/archer centric approach.

actually, the Greeks are indeed very OP in ROP, that's why I mostly play Eastern Factions, as that gives what's real, conquerin dat frickin' greeks is indeed very hard, since you have to basically out-number them 1 to 3 (assuming the bulk of yer force was poor men called Sparabara, Babylonian Spearmen, Egyptian Spearmen, Stukhratian Spearmen or God Forbid, that useless Temeh Spearmen --- if you decide to play a bit ahistorical and make Anusiya, Kishkhutu, or Egyptian Royal Guards as the bulk of your army, they're match for 1 on 1) to make sure your forces win in melee

and well, the mod's name is RISE OF PERSIA, not some g-string wearing spartans, and oh, there's no ninja-like immortals here...

(if you want the OMG! SPARTAAANSSS!!! Feelin, I suggest you to try 300 warlords of Sparta, it's ahistorical, but very enjoyable, nonetheless)
    Last edited by Spike; September 03, 2011 at 09:56 AM.

actually, the Greeks are indeed very OP in ROP
    For the 259382th time: the Greeks are being changed in RoPIII.

That's it, I'm creating a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze View Post
    For the 259382th time: the Greeks are being changed in RoPIII.

That's it, I'm creating a thread.
    actually, this was kind of historical, if the Greeks aren't that strong, how could they resist Xerxes that much? and let's not forget that a full bronze clad men will easily outsurvive barely armoured men in the heat of battle...

the greeks just need fewer men per units, and other factions more men per units

^Accuracy is something we strife for; of course we won't nerf the Greeks down to uselessness; we'll just limit their unit size and recruitment areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    actually, this was kind of historical, if the Greeks aren't that strong, how could they resist Xerxes that much? and let's not forget that a full bronze clad men will easily outsurvive barely armoured men in the heat of battle...

the greeks just need fewer men per units, and other factions more men per units
    It was not Greek superiority over everyone else (everyone else served Xerxes, basically ). It actually had nothing to do with hoplites. It had to do with a load of ships, risk of revolt on the other side of the sea and logistical considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    It was not Greek superiority over everyone else (everyone else served Xerxes, basically ). It actually had nothing to do with hoplites. It had to do with a load of ships, risk of revolt on the other side of the sea and logistical considerations.

but consider yourself just using a thick linen cloth, and carrying a wicker shield and simple, rather short spear. and meet another man, fully clad in bronze, carrying big shield, and he carry long spear and sword.

how do you kill him? tire him up? that's the way, but what if you are one of the sparabara team, and they're bunch of a lot disciplined hoplites? flank them? that's if they aren't smart enough to use terrain things to protect their flanks.

and believe it or not, your noble commander, who consider lives like you completely expandable ( - you are mere sparabara, remember), think about the most obvious solution, no matter how strong the hoplites are, they have limits, and simply sent you wave after wave to break them

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast