Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a team! Please join whatever your skills.

The beserker's Avatar Civis

Default Need a team! Please join whatever your skills.

Ive been reading my historical atlas and i occured to me that no one has done a sucsessful Minoans, Mycenaens and Hittites campaign. I would call it Total War: The Beginning.

I need a research team to find out about this mysterious age. Then i will need an mod team to help me with the making, as i cannot mod myself.

Research: I will need

1. Someone to look up about units of that time
    2. Someone to look up about cities/towns
    3. Someone to research events and disasters
    4. Someone to find lots of factions to include

Moding: I will need

1. Someone to edit text files
    2. Someone to skin
    3. Someone to model

Here i am going to put the results of my research.

1. Starts 2000 bc
    2. It looks like the hittites had archer cavalry and short pike pikemen.
    3. Mycenaeans had knight looking soldiers with no saddle or stirrip
    4. The mod will include the egyptians who are curruntly in their 'middle kingdom' - could someone research that as well.
    5. Factions so far: Sumerians, Akkadians, Persians, Babylonians and Assyrians, Ligurians, Rhaetians, Hittites, Ancient British, Mycenaeans, Mioans, Egyptians and possibly Phoenicians.

Useful sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_...d_Minoan_Peace
    http://www.angliacampus.com/public/p...eks/image2.jpg - mycenaean soldier

Join the team here - http://www.freewebs.com/total_war_the_beginning/
    Last edited by The beserker; April 03, 2006 at 09:58 AM.

Newvision Games
    Newvision games is a friendly team working on a game called holy war, we accept any people whatever their religion and whatever their nationality, we are in need of artists at the moment so if you are talented click on the link.
    The Studio Tokyo! preparatory school for boys
    StudioTokyo.co.uk
    Member and Defender of F.A.I.T.H

Saradomin rocks
    Zammy sucks

Im going paintballing on saturday!!!!!

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Need a team! This has nothing to do with the above!

Moved to the modifications and conversions projects forum, all recruiting should be done there.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Default Re: Need a team!

The project already exists for the most part: Antiquity Total War. Starting date is a bit later (1450 BC) but I doubt there is really enough historical info to fill out a map at 2000 BC.
    You can hide your light behind the hill,
    Offer up your freedom and your will,
    You can build your house on the shifting sand,
    As for me I'll fight where I stand.

Lyrics from "Fight Where I Stand", Needfire (Celtic Rock Band)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Harvest
    The project already exists for the most part: Antiquity Total War. Starting date is a bit later (1450 BC) but I doubt there is really enough historical info to fill out a map at 2000 BC.
    Well...im not intending to get too much info, ill just go on what ive got. My project will end where Antiquity Total War starts.

Newvision Games
    Newvision games is a friendly team working on a game called holy war, we accept any people whatever their religion and whatever their nationality, we are in need of artists at the moment so if you are talented click on the link.
    StudioTokyo.co.uk

Saradomin rocks
    Zammy sucks

Default Re: Need a team! Please join whatever your skills.

Why wont anyone join my team?

Newvision Games
    StudioTokyo.co.uk

Saradomin rocks
    Zammy sucks

Wait, its only been 4 hours since you posted, and there is a distinct lack of modders in the community, especially in the modellers department. People are mainly focused on finishing the mods that are already started and have been in development for around a year, if not more.I would suggest learning how to mod then join one of the already existing mods and help them, a full conversion is a hell of a lot of work.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

well ill wait, but i cant go back on this one cos ive already done research.

Newvision Games
    StudioTokyo.co.uk

Saradomin rocks
    Zammy sucks

Research is not enough, you would need a large dedicated team of skilled modders to pull this off, and there aren't enough of us around.
    Creator of:

Mirconus the Great's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Red Harvest
    No, the Minoans had almost fallen by 1450 BC. I remember that they disappeared around 1400 BC...
    So the mod reflects the Minoan power, while Antiquity actually ilustrates the great rise of the Mycaenians.

Beserker, I think Lusted is really right: there are less available modders then u need; i'm in the same situation as u are . I've got anly 2-3 team members and i obviously need more. If u would ever go 1700 years later to the Hellenistic era, you could join my mod
    The Hellenistic era: Total war...
    YES, I DO LOVE ANTIQUITY

Beserker, I think Lusted is really right: there are less available modders then u need; i'm in the same situation as u are . I've got anly 2-3 team members and i obviously need more. If u would ever go 1700 years later to the Hellenistic era, you could join my mod
    I dont have much skill in modding at all all i could do for you is advertise, edit text and research. I might join to help if i cant pull this one of so keep in contact with me.
    Last edited by The beserker; April 03, 2006 at 12:14 PM.

Newvision Games
    StudioTokyo.co.uk

Saradomin rocks
    Zammy sucks

You have no modding skills and you are trying to form a mod? \you realy have no idea about the sheer amount of work needed.
    Creator of:

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

honestly take lusteds advice you'll learn alot more about modding by joining a team than by trying to put something together yourself, especially as you've said you have no particular skill, also the peroid you've chosen is extremley difficult, as you pointed out there is little known about this time in history, so in essence you would be creating a fantasy mod without much of a back story, for example this is about as much as you will find out about the minoens,

The civilization that developed in Crete is called Minoan after the mythical King Minos. The Minoan culture began producing sculpture and pottery in approximately 2600 B.C., inaugurating what was known as the prepalatial (early Minoan) period. Then about 2000 B.C. the Minoans began constructing the palaces that became their trademark. The palace-building protopalatial (middle Minoan) period, which lasted until about 1450 B.C., included flourishing economic, political, and social organization and active trade in the eastern
    Mediterranean, as well as the first appearance of writing in the Greek world. In the latter part of this period, Minoan traders ventured as far west as Spain. The large, ornate palaces had a distinctive design, were built at population centers and were the scene of elaborate religious ceremonies. The destruction of many of the society's palaces by a severe earthquake began the postpalatial (late Minoan) period. In that period, the rival Mycenaean civilization took control of Crete's Mediterranean commerce, and by 1200 B.C. development of the Minoan culture had ceased.

not much to go on and the important word there is mythical, also i have been skinning for byzantium tw(hungarian kingdom) and it's ammazing how little info there is on military uniform's, and that's relatively recent by comparison to your proposal,so finding enough info to cover a lost culture is going to be a huge job in itself.

but don't be to down hearted were only trying to advise you on how difficult it is to get a non historical mod on the go, and while you don't think you have any modding skills you should try you never know you might be an untapped genius.

there are plenty of free programs you can download and loads of experts here only to willing to help.

best of luck though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirconus the Great
    No, the Minoans had almost fallen by 1450 BC. I remember that they disappeared around 1400 BC...
    So the mod reflects the Minoan power, while Antiquity actually ilustrates the great rise of the Mycaenians.

The Minoans were still around, as were others he mentions. (In fact several of them are way out of their proper place in the time line, like Phoenicia which should probably be Canaan/Hyksos?) While the Minoans were "on their way out" they weren't gone just yet and had to be conquered. The Mycenaeans were just one of a number of powers at that stage.

Didn't the Hittites get their start about 1650 with Hattusilis I and the Old Hittite Kingdom?

Horse archers didn't really exist in the timeline of this proposed mod as far as I can tell. Ridden horses weren't even a factor until about 1350 BC or so. Before that they were driven, not ridden. And in 2000 you would be looking at onagers and donkeys, not horses (pulling the Sumerian battlewagons.)

The big gameplay problem I see for this mod is that it is going to have almost no mounted arm. Antiquity is tough because it must rely on chariots for the bulk of the cavalry, but before that...even chariots would be scarce. So for the 2000 BC time frame: no elephants, no cavalry, no camels, no seige gear, no horse drawn chariots as we know them until very late.

Anyway, I'm not wanting to knock someone down for proposing something new, but this one looks really tough to me. I think the best chance mods have of working is combining into a few discrete times and pooling resources to try to do ONE, then proceed to the next. There are almost no active modellers available, and any mod going this far back is going to require extensive modelling and skinning.

Good luck!
    You can hide your light behind the hill,
    Offer up your freedom and your will,
    You can build your house on the shifting sand,
    As for me I'll fight where I stand.

Lyrics from "Fight Where I Stand", Needfire (Celtic Rock Band)

yes i read that they started 1650 but i also read they were around 2000 its not clear but i might start the game 1650...

Newvision Games
    StudioTokyo.co.uk

Saradomin rocks
    Zammy sucks

Mirconus the Great's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by The beserker
    yes i read that they started 1650 but i also read they were around 2000 its not clear but i might start the game 1650...
    I think the Hittites formed a kingdom around 1750-1700 BC. Do u remember the story of Hattusilis, who coursed the Hittite capital, but its livers didn't believe in it? Finally he died in the 18th century and the kingdom began rising. So, i think 1700 BC would be a great starting date for the mod.

Trust me, i once had very ambitious projects, like creating a mod with about 40 factions with the Ancient world map. I like Eastern Ancient histoory very much and i would like to create a mod ilustrating the period 1500-1200 BC with the invasions of the Kassites and Amorites in Mesopotamia and the Near East, but as i noticed so far it's very very difficult...

So, before moding TOO much (no step backwords problem), think carefully. You may loose too much time in projecting and M2TW will brake any mods under construction for RTW or BI
    YES, I DO LOVE ANTIQUITY

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Actually there has been a mod for this, and they've completely finished all the factions, units, skins, and models and everything. They've also released 3 trailers for it. Thier coder left them though and so basically the mod is at a stalemate and will never get released if they dont get any coders.

They have all 3 of the factions you mentioned plus many, many more, all interesting.

So please join them.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Btw, they've completed skinning and moddeling every single unit. That includes Hittites, Mycenean culture factions, and Minoans. So please for God's sakes join them.

All you have to do to make (what part of your dream is possible, 2000 B.C. is just too long ago buddy.. ) is learn some coding (which is extremely easy, I'd do it myself if I had time) and coding is extremely easy actually.

That is seriously all you have to do to recognize your dream. And make usre you check out all the trailers and skins that they've posted in that sub-forum I linked you too. 3rd trailer is best.
    Team Member <3

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword of Cao Cao
    Actually there has been a mod for this, and they've completely finished all the factions, units, skins, and models and everything. They've also released 3 trailers for it. Thier coder left them though and so basically the mod is at a stalemate and will never get released if they dont get any coders.

They have all 3 of the factions you mentioned plus many, many more, all interesting.

So please join them.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Btw, they've completed skinning and moddeling every single unit. That includes Hittites, Mycenean culture factions, and Minoans. So please for God's sakes join them.

All you have to do to make (what part of your dream is possible, 2000 B.C. is just too long ago buddy.. ) is learn some coding (which is extremely easy, I'd do it myself if I had time) and coding is extremely easy actually.

That is seriously all you have to do to recognize your dream. And make usre you check out all the trailers and skins that they've posted in that sub-forum I linked you too. 3rd trailer is best.
    :sign_help I dont seem to be able to code, whenever i change something the game completly mucks up. :sign_help

Anyway i have lots of factions - Sumerians, Akkadians, Persians, Sythians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Ligurians, Rhaetians, Hittites, Ancient British, Celts, Iberians, Mycenaeans, Mioans, Egyptians and Phoenicians.

Thats 16 pretty good lol.
    Last edited by The beserker; April 05, 2006 at 02:54 AM.

Newvision Games
    StudioTokyo.co.uk

Saradomin rocks
    Zammy sucks

If you can't even grasp the basics of RTw modding then believe me, this is beyond your skills as you probably have no idea of the sheer amount of work needed. I hasve been modding RTw for over a year, and im still learning new stuff.
    Creator of:

Yeah and i need a team so i can learn, by the way, in my campaign folder i dont have a descr_reigons which im am told i should have.

I dont need to mod im a researcher u expect me to do everything when ive been modding for a few days.

Newvision Games
    StudioTokyo.co.uk

Saradomin rocks
    Zammy sucks

But if you are going to lead a mod you generally need to have modding experience so you know what needs to be done and so can assign people to jobs, otherwise how are you supposed to know what to do. Joining another mod is the best way to learn it is what i did, i was a meber of Fall of Rome, Imperium and FATw before i moved onto my own mod.
    Creator of:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast